Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2014, 21:06   #31
BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The long-term reliability of the Celerio AMT is unknown.
AMT: originally developed for F1 cars, currently trickled down for emerging markets: http://autotechreview.com/latest-iss...g-markets.html

Let's see how it goes in the long term.
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 22:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Base version of i10 does'nt differ structurally from the higher variant. even with aitbags it would get the Zero rating (NCAP)

Cheers!
No it doesn't but to say it'll get zero with airbags is an assumption that we can't possibly make without seeing a test of the Indian car with airbags. Maybe it won't get 5 stars like the European car but it may eke out one?

Also the broader point is - will it be better than the Celerio, which doesn't offer any safety kit?
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 22:04   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No it doesn't but to say it'll get zero with airbags is an assumption
Hope this helps!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fety-test.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 22:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a base version without airbags. And as Guna said, it'll still be miles ahead of the Celerio.
Celerio will definitely have better safety rating as it replaces astar internationally, they wont replace a 4 start rated car with a zero star one. Except for Indian specific models maruthi makes cars which score well in crash test. Let's wait and see how much celerio scores.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 25th February 2014 at 22:29.
Old 25th February 2014, 23:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
From NCAP crash test results the Indian built i10 is not structurally sound and scored Zero in rating.

Cheers!
Quote:
Nope, Figo and Polo were structurally sound and failed due to lack of airbags only.
Quote:
Base version of i10 does'nt differ structurally
from the higher variant. even with airbags it would get the Zero rating (NCAP)

Cheers!
Sorry, I am confused!! What are you driving at? i10 is basically an unsafe car with or without airbags due to poor structural design, right?
So, where does this leave one with? Now do we also have to look out for NCAP rating in addition to the availability of these basic safety features in the first place in this segment of cars? Is it not asking for too much at this price point when even the basic safety criteria is not met?
I am saying this because all this while we were discussing on the availability of these features, you have brought in a new perspective.

Quote:
No it doesn't but to say it'll get zero with airbags is an assumption that we can't possibly make without seeing a test of the Indian car with airbags. Maybe it won't get 5 stars like the European car but it may eke out one?
Even my thought is same as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Celerio will definitely have better safety rating as it replaces astar internationally, they wont replace a 4 start rated car with a zero star one. Except for Indian specific models maruthi makes cars which score well in crash test. Let's wait and see how much celerio scores.
Logically yes, they should not. We will have to wait to find out the crash test score.

Last edited by champ27 : 25th February 2014 at 23:05. Reason: fixed some typo
Old 26th February 2014, 10:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Sorry, I am confused!! What are you driving at? i10 is basically an unsafe car with or without airbags due to poor structural design, right?
So, where does this leave one with?
Considering all that has been mentioned here, the best option to me with a balance of price, safety and modernity seems to be the Honda Brio. It is a TC automatic but with 5-speeds as apposed to 4 in the Hyundai; it has been crash tested internally by Honda and I believe in other south east Asian markets where it is sold (I don't think Honda has dumbed it down for India); it is well priced within its segment although it can't and doesn't compete with the Celerio.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 11:47   #37
BHPian

Hello,

I am not sure but how urgent it is to buy the new car? As far as I know some other manufacturers are also trying to bring cars with AMT technology - have no idea when though.

However if you have to make a decision within a couple of days, here is my suggestion:

Limited Budget: Celerio Vxi AMT
Budget can be extended: Brio AT (with airbags!)

My advice would be to extend your budget and get a Brio! If only Celerio AMT came with Airbags, I would have told you to get that. Test Drive Brio and see if its performance is at least similar to Celerio or better.
Saanil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 22:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Considering all that has been mentioned here, the best option to me with a balance of price, safety and modernity seems to be the Honda Brio.
Yes, looks like that's the best option as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hello,

I am not sure but how urgent it is to buy the new car? As far as I know some other manufacturers are also trying to bring cars with AMT technology - have no idea when though.

However if you have to make a decision within a couple of days
I am not in a tearing hurry. I can wait for 5-6 months. Not sure if there any new launches with AMT by other manufacturers during the next 6 months or so. Could be worth the wait.

Quote:
My advice would be to extend your budget and get a Brio!.
I wish I were in a position to stretch my budget in a hurry
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:44   #39
BHPian

@champ27,
Safety in airbags and structural design are stressed too much here for a car that is to be driven in city in traffic conditions. In my opinion, seat belt will cover things in your case.
With Verna available, I doubt you will take AT for highway drive.
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:47   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Safety in airbags and structural design are stressed too much here for a car that is to be driven in city in traffic conditions. In my opinion, seat belt will cover things in your case.

No offence, but, you mean to say that safety features are provided in car because it is the drivers fault? What if another vehicle rams into you?

And are safety features useful only in highway driving and not in city?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd March 2014 at 09:04.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
@champ27,
Well, imho seat belts can do only so much. There are other variables (like the one mentioned by anurag below) that come into play be it city or highway driving for which these safety features are required.

I agree that basic safety features are stressed too much in this thread because that's what is missing in the cars we are comparing and talking about here. It's not that cars without abs/ airbags are not plying on Indian roads, it's a matter of choice one has to make. Currently that's where I am stuck. My mind has wandered on your line of thought mentioned above many times but it doesn't stay there for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No offence, but, you mean to say that safety features are provided in car because it is the drivers fault? What if another vehicle rams into you?

And are safety features useful only in highway driving and not in city?

Anurag.
Exactly my thoughts. This is what is stopping me from going for celerio otherwise the car checks all the boxes for me. Since I am not in a hurry I am checking all the options as stretching my budget by 2 lakhs looks unlikely at this juncture.
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:06   #42
BHPian

Just to give you a data point. My previous car got totaled by a drunk/sleepy Volvo driver driving on a packed ORR, driving @ 30 kmph or less. Thankfully we came out of the car without any scratches.

Do not underestimate the stupidity of the driver in front of you, or maybe on your back or to your right or to your left .
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:42   #43
BHPian

There you go!! one more reason to ponder over

Add to that the already maligned sumo and indica drivers driving really dangerously and you feel the need of these features.
Old 6th March 2014, 20:09   #44
BHPian

Have you taken a call which model you going for. Me too looking one for my Dad.
Old 7th March 2014, 21:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Have you taken a call which model you going for. Me too looking one for my Dad.
Not yet. Have been caught up with work and other things in the last few days.
I am currently exploring the pre -owned segment as well. If it doesn't materialize then I will wait for sometime till I can arrange for additional fund so that i broaden my options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks