Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:27   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Also apart from 2nd gen city being old, any thing else that stops me from buying that ?

Nope, just that it's old. Another thing that came to my mind is that those City's could be 3rd hand, while the more expensive City could be 2nd hand.

You mention an intention to sell the car possibly in 1-2 years, but I'd advise against it. Loss in resale being the main reason for that, all the more if the City you sell makes the next buyer the 3rd/4th owner.

Quote:
It is like many a times people tend to buy a second hand car first so they can gain street confidence without spending a lot as it is usually expected that new drivers are going to scratch and bump their cars as they are still building their judgement of roads and traffic and such.

Of course, I did so too, but why buy a car to get the hang of it? Pay the local driving school a few bucks to practice for about 2 weeks and then get your own car to drive about and grow into, with an intention of keeping it. A lot of new drivers (me too, when I was learning) feel worried about judgment (or a lack of it), but with time you will pick it up. It is just the nature of the beast. And as far as nicks and scratches go, you can't drive in mumbai without scratching the car at some point, so just grin and bear it

Let me play the devils advocate...have you considered the Mahindra e20? It's small, it's an automatic, the body panels are some plastic composite with the color baked into it, so it won't scratch as easily. It's electric too, so no fuel/service costs like your have for a car with an internal combustion engine. It's about 7L on road too, although I doubt 4 passengers plus a baby seat will fit in. Perhaps it worth a test drive at the very least. It's a decent alternative to a used Brio!
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:37   #122
BHPian

Re: Used Automatic Under 5 Lakh. Which Ones To Consider?

Quote:
You are right. Thanks for the advice. I ride only Bike on Indian roads.
My experience with cars is I have driven 1999 Honda Accord Automatic in USA for more than a year. But USA driving cannot be counted I feel.
And what price should i expect ? Somewhere in 5 to 5.25 Lakh ?
The US experience, if recent, will help a lot. The first issue will be to learn to keep left. After I moved back last year, even though I had been driving for over 20 years, I found it hard to judge the gap from objects on the side of my car. This was because I was used to driving on the opposite side and the fact that the roads are much larger in the US and rarely have such obstructions as we can find in city streets in India. For the first few weeks my wife had to peek and tell me if it was ok to go through.

I ended up buying a new hatch for similar reasons as you have stated but I have now shifted to a larger sedan. Knowing what I know now, I would always go for a used higher end vehicle. You can easily pick up vehicles that cost 14-20 lakhs new for 5-7 lakhs after they are 3-4 years old. This gets you a much higher end vehicle that is safer and is a better value even if you end up spending a little on maintenance. Take a look at a Civic, Jetta, Vento, Corolla etc. from around 2009-2010 with under 50K kms.
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:51   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others

Quote:
You are right. Thanks for the advice. I ride only Bike on Indian roads. My experience with cars is I have driven 1999 Honda Accord Automatic in USA for more than a year. But USA driving cannot be counted I feel.
Not really suggesting any car. Just my 2 cents on your situation from personal experience

I was in a similar confusion 4 years back. I was looking for a car as a married guy with a 1 year old with nil experience of driving cars (India or outside). A month of going to driving school and some early morning drives around my place is what gave me confidence. A small 2 month stint in US solved the steering control fear, from then on driving a MT was a piece of cake.

Since you've driven in US steering control and pedal coordination shouldnt be a problem. Few days of driving school will confirm whether you are able to drive an MT.

Driving an MT will widen your choices on cars (now or later) given that you are looking on a budget.

If you plan to get a car now, get some confidence and sell/keep as 2nd car couple of years down the line. Start with a Nano, you'll spend minimal amount upfront and less running cost as well. You'll learn driving an MT. There is hardly any blind spot.

If you still insist on going for an AT, I'd suggest to extend you budget and look for a car that'll suit your needs rather than constrain your size for driving confidence. Because you'll get there, the problem is you shouldn't regret not buying a bigger car few months down the road.
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:04   #124
BHPian

Today afternoon I went to a dealer named Quick Car world in Andheri, I saw a Honda city 2009 46K kms and the dealer quotes 5.25 Lakh.
The car ride quality was good and gear changes (P-D-N) were good. My brother drove the car. Car from inside was not well maintained though. It was sort of dirty. The dealer mentioned that the car had just came and they were yet to clean it inside out. The wiper was for some reason not working. Also we had kept AC blower on 4 and towards the end of cooling setting but it did not seem to cool the car much. It wasn't a hot day either. So we decided not to go ahead with that car. I was sure dealer would come down to 5 Lakh. Because I saw another city automatic being readied cleaned which was just sold and that was listed for 5.5 lakh and sold for 5.25 since the person who bought it was there only and he told me.
Then we went to Torrent Nissan showroom opposite Infinity mall in Andheri. They had the Micra CVT for TD. My brother drove that as well. He does not remember the brio AT ride so we could compare much. But space inside brio was good. I was able to sit behind my own back. The boot space was generous compared to brio. I never felt any gear changes. I don't understand things like rubber band effect and honestly I don't really care about that. I asked the SA about the places where I am supposed to go for usual servicing and he mentioned andheri east and Mira road being closest for me.
Solitaire Honda had given me final price of brio at 7.6 Lakh OTR and no discounts whatsoever. Nissan Micra CVT before discounts was 7.91 Lakh and the SA offered me discount of about 25K (inc some corporate discount due to the company I work for). So final price was something around 7.65 Lakh. Basically not much difference between the two.

Although I am looking at used city, if it ever decide on a new car, can I consider micra cvt over brio ?
Also I believe at the same price I could get a Xcent S AT but then I have apprehensions about the same 4 speed AT box which was used in old i10 AT as well and grand i10 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:14   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today afternoon I went to a dealer named Quick Car world in Andheri, I saw a Honda city 2009 46K kms and the dealer quotes 5.25 Lakh.

Although I am looking at used city, if it ever decide on a new car, can I consider micra cvt over brio ?
Also I believe at the same price I could get a Xcent S AT but then I have apprehensions about the same 4 speed AT box which was used in old i10 AT as well and grand i10 also.

The 2 key aspects where the brio will score over the micra is performance and maybe after sales. In most other aspects they are equal or the Micra is better. If you don't care about things like rubber band effect ( basically strong performance) , then the Micra it's a great choice and definitely worth considering.
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:15   #126
BHPian

Hi,

If you are not too concerned about airbags, you could give DZire AT a shot. I have been driving one for the past 18 months. I get around 11-12 mileage in peak hour Hinjewadi traffic and around 18 kmpl on highways. Being a compact sedan, it is easily manageable in parking lots. You should get it for 7.8 on road in Pune and maybe you can wring some discounts. It has ABS and EBD with brake assist, but sadly no airbags, alloys or climate control.

The AT in Dzire is made by Jatco, which also makes CVT for Micra.

www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Today afternoon I went to a dealer named Quick Car world in Andheri, I saw a Honda city 2009 4K kms and the dealer quotes 5.25 Lakh.
The car ride quality was good and gear changes (P-D-N) were good. My brother drove the car. Car from inside was not well maintained though. It was sort of dirty. The dealer mentioned that the car had just came and they were yet to clean it inside out. The wiper was for some reason not working. Also we had kept AC blower on 4 and towards the end of cooling setting but it did not seem to cool the car much. It wasn't a hot day either. So we decided not to go ahead with that car. I was sure dealer would come down to 5 Lakh. Because I saw another city automatic being readied cleaned which was just sold and that was listed for 5.5 lakh and sold for 5.25 since the person who bought it was there only and he told me.
Then we went to Torrent Nissan showroom opposite Infinity mall in Andheri. They had the Micra CVT for TD. My brother drove that as well. He does not remember the brio AT ride so we could compare much. But space inside brio was good. I was able to sit behind my own back. The boot space was generous compared to brio. I never felt any gear changes. I don't understand things like rubber band effect and honestly I don't really care about that. I asked the SA about the places where I am supposed to go for usual servicing and he mentioned andheri east and Mira road being closest for me.
Solitaire Honda had given me final price of brio at 7.6 Lakh OTR and no discounts whatsoever. Nissan Micra CVT before discounts was 7.91 Lakh and the SA offered me discount of about 25K (inc some corporate discount due to the company I work for). So final price was something around 7.65 Lakh. Basically not much difference between the two.

Old 23rd August 2014, 22:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

The Micra CVT is quite a good and refined package. The only unknown here is what kind of Nissan A.S.S you'd face. It's better specced than brio any day.
Old 24th August 2014, 12:49   #128
cnu
BHPian

Re: Used Automatic Under 5 Lakh. Which Ones To Consider?

Quote:
And what price should i expect ? Somewhere in 5 to 5.25 Lakh ?
Just in case if you have not looked at it, here is a tool to get some initial idea about the used car prices.
Old 24th August 2014, 19:03   #129
BHPian

I am sorry guys for doing a complete U Turn. We talked within the family and have dropped plan to buy a second hand car. We are all new to cars and don't really want to take any chances. Also since being novice drivers, we want to go for a hatchback or maximum a small sedan (under 4 meter ones).
So yes we are back to square one.

The following are being considered for now...

1. Honda Brio VX AT
Honda badging
Good AT gearbox (from reviews)
Safety features ABS and airbags

Dislikes:
Small boot
Plain jane interiors for the price
Exterior look (subjective)

Got price of 7.6Lakh OTR in Mumbai

2. Nissan Micra CVT

Good smooth ride and gearbox
Fully loaded interiors and many good to have features
Priced very close to brio after discounts.
Safety features airbags and ABS

Dislikes:
Rear seat is bit upright but not a big issue
Massive concern for Nissan ASS and resale value. Unable to find anything good written on Nissan ASS

After discount price I got is around 7.7 Lakh OTR

3. Grand i10 AT Asta
Have not yet sat in grand i10 but did drive manual Xcent SX(O)

Likes (based on specs I read):
Spacious and plush interiors
Loaded with gizmos and nice to have features
Priced lowest of all my choices
Perceived fuss free hyundai ownership due to loads of dealers and workshops across the city.

Dislikes:
No ABS or airbags
Bad FE from what I have read (no idea how bad in city traffic)

Based on carwale it is around 7 lakh OTR in Mumbai.

4. Xcent S(O) AT

Yes a small sedan also in consideration.

Obviously added boot space
Rich interiors like grand i10
Slightly reclined seating
Very good suspension and ride quality.

Dislikes:
No airbags

Now something about usage. The car will not be driven daily. Mostly on weekends and on weekdays on need basis. So I am guessing I should not really consider FE as a deal breaker.

I have absolutely no knowledge about dull ride quality and not so good gear box and such things. Basically I want the car to perform as I expect and take me from place A to B. I am not an enthusiast driver and I do not expect car to do highway runs.
I don't really consider WEH on Mumbai as highway run.

We are yet to do a TD of grand i10 automatic (or any Hyundai auto for that matter).
But looking at my usage I am currently getting inclined towards Hyundai.

Again apologies for wasting couple of pages on used car discussion which I dropped off.

Old 24th August 2014, 19:13   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Also since being novice drivers, we want to go for a hatchback or maximum a small sedan (under 4 meter ones).
My choice would either be with the Brio AT or Grand i10 AT. Both these cars are good, safe, reliable.

The (i10) in the Asta variant is fully loaded so shouldn't be an issue. Seeing your usage petrol should do the job.

Anurag.
Old 24th August 2014, 19:31   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My choice would either be with the Brio AT or Grand i10 AT.

I second Anurag. These are the safe choices and will fully satisfy your needs.

The Brio has worse interiors, but better (I'd say even cheaper) service and will give better fuel economy. The grand i10 on the other hand looks great and is feature loaded. Take a drive of both; if you're ok with lower mileage, but want better interiors, the grand i10 is the one to go for. If not, the Brio is your car.
Old 24th August 2014, 19:33   #132
Senior - BHPian

i10 Asta Optional does come with ABS and Airbags. Has space enough to carry luggage of 2 adults and kid's for 6 day trip. For occasional that too primarily city usage plus occasional highway, don't worry too much about gearbox. XCent will work at least a lakh more.
Old 24th August 2014, 19:42   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
i10 Asta Optional does come with ABS and Airbags. Has space enough to carry luggage of 2 adults and kid's for 6 day trip. For occasional that too primarily city usage plus occasional highway, don't worry too much about gearbox. XCent will work at least a lakh more.

New i10 AT is not sold anymore. Only Grand i10 AT is there and neither Sportz not Asta here has ABS or airbags.

Old 24th August 2014, 19:45   #134
BANNED

Quote:
New i10 AT is not sold anymore. Only Grand i10 AT is there and neither Sportz not Asta here has ABS or airbags.
Then look at the Brio AT or Xcent AT.

Does Xcent AT have ABS and Airbags?

Anurag.
Old 24th August 2014, 20:02   #135
BHPian

Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Then look at the Brio AT or Xcent AT.

Does Xcent AT have ABS and Airbags?

Anurag.

Brio is sort of out of race. Sorry I know many people love the car but I have to listen to my family as car is for them and not only for me.

Xcent S(O) AT has ABS but no airbags and it it priced at around 7.55 Lakh as per the price list I have from one dealer near my home. It misses some good to have features like reverse camera, automatic climate control, push button start and few others.
All these are available in SX(O) AT along with 2 airbags and that price is 8.6Lakh.

Sorry if I am sounding irresponsible but I as of now am feeling grand i10 to be a better option. I actually do not really need a very big sedan boot and I can do with a decent boot that any usual hatchback gives.

Being first time car buyer, I want to be least bothered about getting car services and availability of parts and such and hence I am sort of inclined towards Hyundai. Also I have no intention to sell car in like couple of years but want to keep for decent amount of time.

Last edited by raksrules : 24th August 2014 at 20:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks