Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 15:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol: Hyundai Xcent or VW Polo?

It is really shocking that this entire thread is so Anti-Polo. Yes the service costs and parts costs are on the higher side. The engine may not be a scorcher and isn't as refined as the K competition but is decent for city runs and occasional highway drives. Having said all that, the car has excellent fit and finish, build quality and looks elegant even after being in the market for over 4 years. The thread starter must have definitely kept the cost factor in mind before considering the Polo.

Secondly, the GT-TSi and the GT-TDi are wayyy too expensive and for a person considering a Comfortline variant of the petrol Polo, these variants are almost 2 -2.5 Lakhs more expensive and do not necessarily justify the 'value' factor.

If the thread had comparisons on the Xcent's utility/ space/ features/ value proposition over the Polo, it would have been a valid point. BUT if all are bashing the reliability of the Polo then that is not acceptable as there are people I know who have been driving their Polo's since 2010 and are very happy and also the Comfortline variant has basic electricals and hence there is lesser chance of anything going wrong with it in the first place. Although be prepared to shell out 8-10k for an annual service though.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 11:20   #32
BHPian

OK. Decided It's the Polo after all. Test drove the Grand i10, Xcent and Polo. Grand i10 was very good, but somehow, I can't get my head/heart away from the Polo. Test drove the Polo right after that. There IS a difference; can't explain - it's the character I think. Wife likes it too, though we see that the stingy 3-cylinder will growl at higher RPMs.

The Polo salesman was tight-lipped about the facelift launch date. So, wife and I decided to wait it out. Hopefully, it's worth the wait, and hope team VW brings 'em out soon.

Thanks everyone for all your inputs! I was able to consider the pros and cons of all the vehicle suggestions/pointers your provided. Will update this thread once I get a note from VW about the facelift, and the day I book one
gigatech2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 19:04   #33
BHPian

Update:

I don't know why, but I test drove Micra XV diesel out of the blue (was just passing by a dealer). I kinda liked it in the first go...meaning, I just felt at home. Comfortable from the start and no surprises. I ruled out Grand i10 after driving Micra. Reasons: 1. Fit and finish, and 2. Driveability (well, it's subjective). Most importantly, those at Hyundai really didn't care even when I said I own an Accent and this would be my second Hyundai.

Now, it's a new dilemma. I think I'll be taking a chance with whatever car I go far - be it the Micra or the Polo. From the reviews that I read on team-bhp, I'd say it's 'mixed' at best. Should I buy one, and pray that nothing goes wrong? Just kidding

Apart from the couple of (satisfied) ownership reviews, I can't find anything on Micra reliability. Any pointers here?
Old 6th May 2014, 21:51   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The 1.5dci which powers the micra is a true workhorse. Nissan is new to india but they have a proven reliability outside India. The same as Toyota. Micra is a beautiful car. The best thing about the diesel is the non-
Existent turbo lag which makes it a breeze to drive. I would rate it better than 1.2 polos ( both petrol and diesel). But before you finalise please check with 2-3 Nissan owners regarding the after sales service from the dealer close to you. If that is good please get the micra, you won't regret it.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 23:13   #35
BHPian

I live in an apartment that has 230 flats. And, in the parking space I see just one micra The owner is out of town; waiting for him to come back to get his feedback. Lets see what he's gotta say about the service in this part of the city.
Old 15th May 2014, 11:04   #36
BHPian

Update: Test drove Micra, Grand i10, Punto, Brio, Polo - back to back! Liked Punto and Polo the most of the lot - superb ride quality. The rear bench space is more cramped on the punto than the polo. So, the scales are dipping towards the polo, after all!

One weird thing about the punto is that I wasn't able to find a proper driving position, and the seating was low (even after adjusting the height) and the steering is a little low and forward (closer to your face). Is this how it is? Or is it because it's a test car? Getting great discount for the punto, but 'm worried about the quality of the plastics inside.

For the polo, I couldn't find any faults upfront, other than the pricing
Old 15th May 2014, 11:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
I don't know why, but I test drove Micra XV diesel out of the blue (was just passing by a dealer). I kinda liked it in the first go...

Now, it's a new dilemma. I think I'll be taking a chance with whatever car I go far - be it the Micra or the Polo. From the reviews that I read on team-bhp, I'd say it's 'mixed' at best.

Apart from the couple of (satisfied) ownership reviews, I can't find anything on Micra reliability. Any pointers here?
Thanks for the update - some buyers just forget to update the thread once they have made a choice.

Micra is a very good car, be it the petrol or the diesel. 1.5 Diesel engine is one gem of an engine. The quality of plastics inside, the boot space, the rear bench space, the driving position everything just falls into place for almost 80% of the drivers.
Reliability wise too I don't think any of the owners here have raised concerns.

I really wonder why the car did not manage to sell in numbers. May be the general public attitude towards anything other than Maruti / Hyundai or just the looks - falls more into the cute category.

One last thing about Micra. Me and my friends drove the previous generation Micra ( which looks like a crescent ) for 15000 kms in 40 days from London to Ulaanbaatar. It took everything that nature threw at it, crossed rivers, got flooded, managed 90 MPH in the autobahns with 4 fat guys and lots of luggage on the roof, drove through places where there were quite literally no roads, temperatures ranging from 3 degrees to 48 degrees, dust and what not.
And that was not it, the car was 10 years old and the reading on the odometer was 75000 Miles ( 120000 kms ) - the car but got us safely in Ulaanbaatar without a single rattle or squeak!
Quote:
One weird thing about the punto is that I wasn't able to find a proper driving position, and the seating was low (even after adjusting the height) and the steering is a little low and forward (closer to your face). Is this how it is? Or is it because it's a test car? Getting great discount for the punto, but 'm worried about the quality of the plastics inside.
Well I too had similar issues when I test drove Fiat Punto. Finding a right driving position was a bit hard and the quality of plastics inside were not really upto the mark. Moreover the car is quite heavy and it can do a lot better with a more powerful engine. The turning radius of most of the Fiat cars arent that small too.
But with respect to looks you just need to admit that its one of the best or may be the best in that segment. Facelifted Punto is rumored to be launched soon and from what we see from the spy pictures, the wait may be just worth it.

Honda Brio , its a fantastic little car with an amazing engine. The boot space is just one thing that you wont make you happy.

The last round fight may be between Micra XV, Polo Comfortline and Swift Zxi ( if you have considered Swift )

Cheers
Old 15th May 2014, 14:20   #38
D4D
BHPian

The answer is simple according to my thought process. Just Xcent.
My reasons:
  • More legroom and boot space
  • More power from the engine
  • More modern engine. Yes, the Kappa2 gets VVT on intake and exhaust side
  • Hyundai brand. They're no.2 in India for a good reason. You are almost guaranteed of a good ASS and you will be a satisfied customer.
  • Interior quality of Hyundai cars(post 2009) have been really good. Just a notch below Polo's
  • If there's anyone who can claim that they're as reliable as the Japanese, it's Hyundai
  • Alternately try i20 if foregoing ~110 lit. boot space is fine
The saving grace for polo maybe it's highway dynamics and good steering. Xcent is nowhere close.
I would just recommend you to stick with Honda/Hyundai/Toyota/Maruti for good ASS.
Old 18th May 2014, 11:09   #39
BHPian

Quick update:
After a second round of test drives on the shortlisted cars (punto and polo), have decided to go for the punto. Simply love the car. Period. However, my wife thinks that the interiors are not much up to her tastes, which brings in the last round of dilemma.

Should I wait for the facelift punto? I dont see any info on whether this new one will have new engines (multi air) or continue with the old ones. Fiat aficionados, please can you give me your thoughts? I'm just one step closer to booking multijet dynamic.
Old 18th May 2014, 12:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update:
After a second round of test drives on the shortlisted cars (punto and polo), have decided to go for the punto. Simply love the car. Period. However, my wife thinks that the interiors are not much up to her tastes, which brings in the last round of dilemma.

Should I wait for the facelift punto? I dont see any info on whether this new one will have new engines (multi air) or continue with the old ones. Fiat aficionados, please can you give me your thoughts? I'm just one step closer to booking multijet dynamic.
Are you expecting the facelift punto will have better interiors? In my opinion the only thing lacking in punto is the leather or leatherite seats in black color. I drive my Father in laws Punto emotion 90Bhp and trust me i dont see any issue in the interior beside the car seats.

Its got bluetooth for hands free, we got the rear sensor fitted as free accessory, upgraded the tyres to 16" Yokohoma. The car handling is amazing.

Even the facelift if they take out will have cosmetic change of new grill, changed headlight, and side rear indicators. That is the economical change any car does to make the car appealing and bring up the sales.
you can check all the cars that have gone through facelift and judge yourself.
Old 18th May 2014, 12:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update:

Reports on this forum as well as other sites suggest that the facelifted Punto is expected with the same line up of engines with interiors that are similar to the new Linea. You may go through the Fiat thread on this forum to get more info.

The launch was stated to be in June, 2014 but knowing Fiat, there may be a delay.
Old 17th June 2014, 17:12   #42
BHPian

Bringing a closure to this thread. After driving Punto and Polo, I liked 'em both...the Punto in certain areas and the Polo in some. Finally, bought a Pearl White Punto MJD last week. Things that went in favor of the Punto were the discounts that brought down the price close to Polo Highline Petrol.

Thanks so much for your inputs when I was trying to make a decision! Cheers

Mods: Please close this thread.
gigatech2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 01:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, bought a Pearl White Punto MJD last week. Things that went in favor of the Punto were the discounts that brought down the price close to Polo Highline Petrol.
Congratulations on the new car! You haven't mentioned which model you purchased? Polo Highline Petrol is about 8L on road (if I am not mistaken)? So that should be Dynamic MJD then? A couple of pics would be appreciated too.
Old 27th June 2014, 12:27   #44
BHPian

Thanks! I'm preparing a ownership report, but thought I'd wait until the first service (5k kms) and write about the Ramkay Fiat service experience too, in one post. Have completed around 1.5k kms in just about 2 weeks. So, the report should be anytime soon, by mid-July. Cheers!
Old 1st July 2014, 16:54   #45
BHPian

@gigatech2006 : Congrats, happy you didn't buy a VW. I have few of my buddies bought VW and suffering with very bad and irritating A.S.S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks