Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Confusing permutations: Advice on garage reshuffle

We have been using 3 Hatchbacks: Maruti Suzuki A-Star, Tata Indica Vista, Ford Figo between 3 family members since 4 - 5 years.

I prefer hatchbacks to sedans since most of our driving is in the city, but there are these odd occasions where in more boot space is necessary (Airport runs, Driving holiday). These occasions are probably once in three months.

The options

The Indica (Diesel, used by my father, run 55,000) will be retained

Option 1:

Sell the Figo (4 years old, Diesel, used by my wife has run 70,000) go for a Ciaz (Diesel) as its replacement. Retain the A-Star (I use it)

Logic: We need one Diesel, the diesel car runs around 15,000 a year.

Had almost made up my mind on this option, till a relative mentioned that their Honda City 2010 was going to be sold. This car is sparingly used, has run around 25,000 and is in excellent condition.

Hence the next option

Option 2:

Sell the A-Star (5 years completed, will be 6 in may, Petrol, used by me, has run 50,000 kms). My driving is around 7,000/year, prefer to use my bikes when its not raining
The Honda city (Petrol) mentioned will be the replacement.
Sell the Figo and go in for a Elite i20 (Diesel)

So what would you guys do?

Last edited by Samurai : 16th February 2015 at 12:37. Reason: month changed to year
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 12:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Confusing permutations: Advice on garage reshuffle

I suggest Option 2 (but in phases) Get the City in hands, sell your AStar, use the Figo for a while and sell her later (if required) 70k is nothing for a well maintained diesel. Sell her only if you consider an upgrade.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2015 at 16:56. Reason: Opening post corrected, thanks
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 12:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Even with the petrol city replacing your wife's Figo, your fuel bills will not be able to add up to the amount you will save upfront by opting for a used City compared to a new Diesel sedan. So I will go with that option.

On the other hand if your running is that high and you drive the car yourself and looking for a new car which can also accommodate more luggage occasionally then why not consider a new Zest diesel AMT. You already have a Tata and by your post look satisfied with it and Tata is only improving with time. The Zest will give you the extra space, diesel engine and ease of an Automatic.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 13:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Tough call between the A-Star and the Figo.

Personally, I would prefer a diesel sedan in the garage as they are more practical owing to less fuss about fuel quality, longer intervals between refuels, more torque for carrying luggage, etc. However, noticed that the diesel alternative is the i20 Elite, which is a hatch.
In this case, could I recommend keeping the A-Star, and picking up an EcoSport TDCi / Fiesta TDCi to replace the Figo?
Advantages over the i20 would be the higher GC, Ford dynamics, and slightly more room for luggage and people. Also, your wife would enjoy the better view.

Alternately, replacing the A-Star with a City makes sense as well, given that the A-Star is older and could have age related issues cropping up. The City on the other hand will be reliable for a few more years and the engine + handling is definitely better than the Ciaz, not to mention the amount you would save by going the pre-worshipped route.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 20:56   #5
BHPian

Re: Confusing permutations: Advice on garage reshuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Even with the petrol city replacing your wife's Figo, your fuel bills will not be able to add up to the amount you will save upfront by opting for a used City compared to a new Diesel sedan. So I will go with that option.

You already have a Tata and by your post look satisfied with it and Tata is only improving with time. The Zest will give you the extra space, diesel engine and ease of an Automatic.
The City would be a replacement for the A-Star. I would be sacrificing my love for hatchbacks if i go for that option.

I am not really very impressed with Tata. The Vista is my fathers car and would remain so. We used to have a Sumo earlier, and i think that Tata has improved from those days but nowhere close to the competition. Not very happy with their ASS either

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

In this case, could I recommend keeping the A-Star, and picking up an EcoSport TDCi / Fiesta TDCi to replace the Figo?

Advantages over the i20 would be the higher GC, Ford dynamics, and slightly more room for luggage and people. Also, your wife would enjoy the better view.

Alternately, replacing the A-Star with a City makes sense as well, given that the A-Star is older and could have age related issues cropping up. The City on the other hand will be reliable for a few more years and the engine + handling is definitely better than the Ciaz, not to mention the amount you would save by going the pre-worshipped route.
Yes i would certainly miss the Ford dynamics, i like the way the Figo behaves on road.

The original plan was to retain the A-Star, cause i use it sparingly and its a dream to drive in narrow lanes and park in crowded parts of town.

Besides my argument against selling the A-Star was that it has already lost most of its market value already, selling it now or 2 years later wouldn't make a drastic difference.

On the contrary my wife suggests that it is the ideal time to sell the Figo since the value of the car is likely to drop steeply once the car crosses 90,000kms or if Ford withdraws it from the market.

Not very keen on going for Ford again cause i feel that the ownership costs are expensive and the Service Center is situated in a remote area and is quite a hassle.

As for the age related issues with the A-Star i doubt it will have any for the next three years, its a very well built car and has been maintained very well. The only issue i have with the car is that the recirculation mode of the HVAC is not a perfect closed environment.
Old 16th February 2015, 23:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
The City would be a replacement for the A-Star. I would be sacrificing my love for hatchbacks if i go for that option.

The original plan was to retain the A-Star, cause i use it sparingly and its a dream to drive in narrow lanes and park in crowded parts of town.

On the contrary my wife suggests that it is the ideal time to sell the Figo since the value of the car is likely to drop steeply once the car crosses 90,000kms or if Ford withdraws it from the market.
But why don't you replace your wife's Figo with the Honda city petrol? Her running is high I agree. But the money that you are saving upfront by opting for a used Honda compared to a new diesel C segment sedan is good enough to cover for any increase in fuel costs. In addition you are not going to lose money on the depreciation front which will be a huge amount when you decide to sell off your newly bought sedan.

Alternatively give your wife the A star and you drive the city if she is not comfortable with the larger dimensions of the city.

I will still urge you to once go and have a look at the Zest. It might just surprise you.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 08:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you sell the Figo and get the City as it's replacement. Retain the A-Star as it is perfect as a city run about on narrow roads. Of course this option means you are giving up a diesel. But as already mentioned, the money you save by not going in for a new diesel car will take care of fuel costs for quite some time. In addition, even your highest usage (15,000 km per year) is kind of a borderline on deciding between a petrol and diesel. The city is a fuel efficient car, so overall, I don't think you will miss much on fuel costs.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 21:36   #8
BHPian

With vehicles I always advise going for staggered change.
(a) This ensures that vehicles dont come up for replacement all at a time.
(b) There's a little newness and excitement in the garage every few years.

That said, going for a pre worshipped City that has done only 25000 and if well maintained is a good idea. City's retain value are a pleasure to drive and will last for years and years. If you get it at a decent price the value reduction will also be very reasonable.

Given that the Figo acquires a lot of mileage (almost 17500 per year) would indicate that a diesel is a fair idea. But falling difference in diesel and petrol prices minimises the loss. Plus getting a sedan seperately just for the boot space for only the ocassional run doesnt make sense.

Ergo:
Give your wife the A-star with a replacement target for a diesel hatchback in the next year or so to handle the bulk of the driving.
Substitute the Figo with the City.
I'm assuming your wife and you can use the two vehicles interchangeably.

Things that cannot be quantified but will influence your decision :
a) resale value of Figo and Astar
b) purchase price of the honda city and it's condition.
Old 28th November 2015, 23:38   #9
BHPian

6 months later, there is an update.

Just bought the Baleno - Alpha, Diesel
Need to start an ownership thread. AT LEAST to explain the Nexa experience. Worst ever.

The Figo will be sold soon.
Old 27th June 2016, 10:57   #10
BHPian

After a further 9 moths another update.

Sold the A Star yesterday.
Had booked a Creta a few weeks back, delivery is tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks