Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 17:06   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is there a perfect 'Market-to-Mountain' car?

i think there are 2 most, mountain ready cars.

1. the Alto 1 L
2. the bolero.

I have seen these cars eat up mountains like nobody business.
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 21:14   #122

Re: Best car for the hills / mountains?

Greetings,
Looking to purchase my first ever personal vehicle. Kind suggestions please.

1.Based in Himachal. So speed shall be in range of 40-70 kmph invariably. Need to have fun in that range.
2. Need it for weekend rides and occasional tours. Not going to be a commuter ride at all.Thus Certainly petrol.
3. Certainly going to stick with it for at least 10 years or more. Hence the question of its relevancy in coming years.
4. Please don't suggest a compact SUV as one's already accessible professionally.
5. Most important requirement: Needs to bring a smile on my face in terms of its drivability i.e. an enthusiast's car.
6. Budget around 10 lacs.

To address the obvious:

1. Tiago JTP: Not sure if I want to commit to that segment of car for next 10+ years of my life?
2. Polo GT TSI: DSG on hills? Should wait for latest editions to bring some change to the ageing model?
3. Altroz JTP: Whispers in the corridors?
4. Honda City: Wouldn't GT TSI meet my requirements better.

Looking forward to your enriched experience in resolving my dilemma
Thanks in advance.
Pahadi.Officer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 00:39   #123
BHPian

We have had Alto K10 in family which was bought to be used at Shimla. The roads in hills were narrow; Alto (and Nano) had least width making it easier to tackle the oncoming traffic.
Despite being powerful than alto800 and m800, it required more slipping of clutch and an early downshift. But It did make an excellent progress after 1600rpm.

We came to a point that for hills, a personal car should be able to satisfy below criteria.
1. Petrol: it’s easier to ignite and maintain

2. Compact dimension: it helps on narrow roads

3. Ride quality: roads or no roads, should stick and absorb the lumps and bumps well.

4. Low end torque: engine and gearbox combo that provides excellent low end torque to make effortless progress.

5. Service Center: There should be one nearby(at least one in city) and second one not too far.

6. Good FE. Some cars may have great low end but return single digit kmpl.

Last edited by procrastinator : 26th January 2020 at 00:45.
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 12:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

Alto and Omni have the best turning circle and width for hill driving. Their short wheel base also makes it easier to traverse potholes that a long wheel base vehicle will get stuck in. Further narrow track makes it easier to drive on ruts created by wider vehicles.

So depending on the image you want to project get an Omni (or EEco) or the Alto K10.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 14:55   #125
BHPian

So I drove down to Bekal from Bangalore via Madikeri, Coorg etc. what I noted interestingly soon as I entered the Kerala border was narrow twisty and hilly roads of Kerala. 99% of the cars I saw being driven were Maruti 800 / Alto K10s. Mind you I rate Kerala population as majorly affluent with affordability of bigger and more sophisticated cars. The sight of these Maruti's just reinforces the fact that it's possibly the best car to have given the terrain.
akshays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 17:56   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahadi.Officer View Post
Greetings,

1.Based in Himachal. So speed shall be in range of 40-70 kmph invariably. Need to have fun in that range.
2. Need it for weekend rides and occasional tours. Not going to be a commuter ride at all.Thus Certainly petrol.
3. Certainly going to stick with it for at least 10 years or more. Hence the question of its relevancy in coming years.
4. Please don't suggest a compact SUV as one's already accessible professionally.
5. Most important requirement: Needs to bring a smile on my face in terms of its drivability i.e. an enthusiast's car.

To address the obvious:

1. Tiago JTP: Not sure if I want to commit to that segment of car for next 10+ years of my life?
2. Polo GT TSI: DSG on hills? Should wait for latest editions to bring some change to the ageing model?
3. Altroz JTP: Whispers in the corridors?
4. Honda City: Wouldn't GT TSI meet my requirements better.

Looking forward to your enriched experience in resolving my dilemma
Thanks in advance.
BUMP.

(Mods please guide whether if I can do this to bring up my unanswered post. Also, should I start a new thread itself? Thanks.)
Old 28th January 2020, 19:46   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GT TSI it has to be!

While JTP is a great car, GT TSI is a notch above. In fact with that DSG one can enjoy the hills better without having to worry about being being in the right gear.

By the way, it comes with hill hold assist so you don't need to worry about the 'AT car in hills' issue!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:22   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
GT TSI it has to be!

While JTP is a great car, GT TSI is a notch above. In fact with that DSG one can enjoy the hills better without having to worry about being being in the right gear.

By the way, it comes with hill hold assist so you don't need to worry about the 'AT car in hills' issue!
Thanks for the reply.
Main concern is whether it'll be engaging enough to drive in the lower range given its turbo lag? Since we do not have straight highways here will I be missing out on enjoying its true potential? Am I better of with something like a NIOS 1.0 turbo here?
Old 28th January 2020, 23:24   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Main concern is whether it'll be engaging enough to drive in the lower range given its turbo lag? Since we do not have straight highways here will I be missing out on enjoying its true potential? Am I better of with something like a NIOS 1.0 turbo here?
If lag is a concern, avoid all turbo cars then. They will all suffer from turbo lag. Also a dsg all the way there ? What if it breaks down ? Where is your nearest vw service centre ? The polo is best avoided. Hyundai nios 1.0 turbo? I don’t think it’s a fun to drive car despite its engine, it won’t handle as well as your other choices.

Of course, maybe you’re not interested in an alto or 800 since you’ve mentioned bigger pricier cars. Fair enough. Why not look for other naturally aspirated cars. One choice that comes to my mind. The ford freestyle . It fits your criteria perfectly. Engaging to drive. Handles and rides well (I find the polo not as great a handler without all the suspension and braking mods people throw at it) . Comes with more ground clearance than the usual Garden variety hatchback (in your part of the woods you definitely need it). Has good features and very importantly safety features too. This suggestion I make is under the presumption that you have ford serviceability out there.
Oh and it isn’t a csuv by any means and still manages to look sportier than the Figo as well.

Well I tried being as objective as I could.
Anyway all the best.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 28th January 2020 at 23:35.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 23:32   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
If lag is a concern, avoid all turbo cars then. They will all suffer from turbo lag. Also a dsg all the way there ? What if it breaks down ? Where is your nearest vw service centre ? The polo is best avoided. Hyundai nios 1.0 turbo? I don’t think it’s a fun to drive car despite its engine, it won’t handle as well as your other choices.

Of course, maybe you’re not interested in an alto or 800 since you’ve mentioned bigger pricier cars. Fair enough. Why not look for other naturally aspirated cars. One choice that comes to my mind. The ford freestyle . It fits your criteria perfectly. Engaging to drive. Handles and rides well (I find the polo not as great a handler without all the suspension and braking mods people throw at it) . Comes with more ground clearance than the usual Garden variety hatchback (in your part of the woods you definitely need it). Has good features and very importantly safety features too. This suggestion I make is under the presumption that you have ford serviceability out there.
Oh and it isn’t a csuv by any means and still manages to look sportier than the Figo.

Well I tried being as objective as I could.
Anyway all the best.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. We do have some centres around of both vw and ford. I haven't driven the fords yet but I've read reviews about the diesels being the engaging ones to drive and the petrols being a let down. Don't know the veracity of this statement yet but I'm clear on wanting a petrol.
Old 29th January 2020, 00:22   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. We do have some centres around of both vw and ford. I haven't driven the fords yet but I've read reviews about the diesels being the engaging ones to drive and the petrols being a let down. Don't know the veracity of this statement yet but I'm clear on wanting a petrol.
I was talking about the petrol powered fords only. Not sure if you're aware of the new-ish dragon series engines, but if you aren't, then they are worth a shot. Though I agree it's no turbo engine like the TSI or revotron. But it is quite peppy and can be fun to drive.

Also, go test drive the cars that you have shortlisted. That will be better at helping you decide. There's only so much information you can get on the forum regarding things that are better explained by "feeling" them yourself.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 29th January 2020 at 00:27.
Turrrb0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 00:33   #132
BHPian

The local roads on my side of Himachal are not great. And you don't need a lot of power to have fun and yet drive responsibly in Himachal. I would also consider a comfortable suspension as a priority in the hills. In fact for me that is the only criteria I will be looking at when looking to buy a new car for Himachal. Comfort and ample ground clearance. You can floor any NA petrol engine in the hills and feel enough excitement responsibly. Even my 18 year old Palio is good enough for such fun in the second gear with good enough low-end torque and no lag. Just last week I did Bir to Dharamshala on the freshly laid back roads in 1hr and 15 minutes, a journey which usually takes me an hour longer.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 29th January 2020 at 00:34.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 07:48   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings,

I will recommend you the Ford Freestyle. The 1.2-L Dragon series is a great engine and has a decent low end to make life easy on the inclines. Be it the ground clearance, features list or the safety equipment, the Freestyle has got it all. Also since you plan to keep the car for long, resale should not be a concern either. If you have a Ford Service center in your region and the after sales has good reviews, the Freestyle does fulfill all your requirements.
My second suggestion will be the MS Ignis. While the looks are subjective, I think on the driving front, most of us will agree that this is a great car and drives really well. Added bonus will be Maruti's reliability and after sales network.
MrBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:20   #134

Thanks a lot for the kind suggestions. Will look into these recommendations.
Old 29th January 2020, 11:57   #135
Senior - BHPian

I see two sides to the answers here, one that the compact dimensions make things easier, and second that all-wheel-drive gets you out of tricky situations.

I still think the Gypsy strikes the right balance, if you can live with the ride quality and lack of AC. It is relatively compact for an SUV, has low-end grunt and can offroad with finesse. Only challenge is, finding one.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 29th January 2020 at 12:03.
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed