Team-BHP - Poll: Honda WR-V vs the competition
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Poll: Honda WR-V vs the competition (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/187533-poll-honda-wr-v-vs-competition-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4212836)

Ecosport is still the better product, gets my vote too. But once you've been caught napping while Maruti prepares their onslaught - there is just no stopping MS. Now they are showing Ford the true potential of the segment, that they missed out on - inspite of zero competition.

Spot on!!!:thumbs up

And while Maruti was preparing for the onslaught, they(FORD) took a step back and tried emulating maruti with products like New Figo/Aspire which aren't bad as such but lost the USP that FORDs used to have in terms of build quality. Though they did try some damage control with Figo S now but too little, too late?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4212999)
That's because the buying population of the country isn't made up of informed car buyers or enthusiasts.

agree: Exactly what I meant.

But at times even informed folks tend to succumb to market dynamics and end up listening to mind more than heart. For example am sure quite a few would have shied away from an Abarth solely due to the reason its from FIAT(questionable A.S.S, dismal resale & more importantly uncertain future) and not Maruti/Hyundai.

If we're limiting ourselves by length of car and price bracket, then the list is fine and my vote goes to ecosport. However, I consider Creta and duster also as compact SUVs.

Voted for EcoSport.

It's the best built and rounded compact SUV currently available in the market. The upcoming facelift is going to increase the user experience even better.

But if ever Honda can plonk their 1.5 Vtec with CVT in ZX trim into WR-V, I may consider it over EcoSport.

We can't simply ignore the practicality WR-V offers.

Cheers!

Vinu

Quote:

Originally Posted by myavu (Post 4213246)
But if ever Honda can plonk their 1.5 Vtec with CVT in ZX trim into WR-V, I may consider it over [i]EcoSport.

Price would be the biggest constraint.

The current VXMT is 8.99L. Add to it the premium + taxes for the 1.5L petrol engine, the premium charged for the CVT transmission and the premium for the additional features of the ZX variant - that would far exceed the 9.64L price tag of the Ford Ecosport 1.5 DCT.

I personally believe it's a very tight contest between EcoSport and Brezza while all the others fight for the third place in their own right.

Nothing beats the quality and driving dynamics of the EcoSport (slightly biased as I own it, but still holds true)
In comparison, Brezza makes it up with space and the Maruti brand. If you sit in both cars back to back, EcoSport will surely win you over on the quality side. The door pads are the simplest example. Brezza for me is a no nonsense car but not that shines anywhere. It's like a car from Maruti stable that you don't go wrong with but yet not there.

Others are just others. WRV has a sunroof, Aventura has a rugged look, active has a hyundai badge and TUV is the Mini Mahindra butch, but all of them in total aren't just there for the money they demand.
The above are all my personal comments only and no offence to any of the owners. In the end, my car's the best. :)

I vote for the EcoSport.

I think it's got all what I desire in any car as basic must have requirements. Like:

1) Fun-to-drive and great Dynamics with good eager engines on offer as options- CHECK✓

2) Safety standards up to the mark -CHECK✓

3) Drop-down good looks(the newer model is even more awesome) - CHECK✓

4) VERY GOOD OVERALL QUALITY STANDARDS AND BUILD QUALITY - CHECK✓

5) Great Fuel economy to boot, which comes along with the great power dynamics. CHECK✓

6) Great After-Sales Service with great availability of spares at very good prices and quality too in comparison to the other brands (most people in India don't know how good it is really as the MUL hangover is still too strong to shake off, but things have changed, and how!) - CHECK✓

Only one negative I can think of is the cramped rear bench. But come on guys, it's a compact SUV, remember?

#2 for me would be Brezza.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4213257)

The current VXMT is 8.99L. Add to it the premium + taxes for the 1.5L petrol engine, the premium charged for the CVT transmission and the premium for the additional features of the ZX variant - that would far exceed the 9.64L price tag of the Ford Ecosport 1.5 DCT.

I think this demonstrates how overpriced the WRV is currently :) From a value perspective it surely isn't more than the Ecosport DCT

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4212836)

PS - I'd have an Ecosport AT in my garage as well instead of an Xcent AT - but those were their peak days when the dealership was so arrogant to answer calls and walks in with only - "No bookings" no matter how many months you were willing to wait.

Ford dealership was arrogant and mostly clueless about the product they were selling. But Maruti dealership has been no less. When I was shopping around and went to Maruti dealerships, all their sales staff did was hand over the brochure to me. They would answer questions as if they are doing some favors to me. Given that both Ford as well as Maruti dealership were pathetic I settled for the product which I thought was better: Ecosport. Hyundai experience was relatively better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit.s (Post 4213327)
Ford dealership was arrogant and mostly clueless about the product they were selling. But Maruti dealership has been no less. When I was shopping around and went to Maruti dealerships, all their sales staff did was hand over the brochure to me. They would answer questions as if they are doing some favors to me. Given that both Ford as well as Maruti dealership were pathetic I settled for the product which I thought was better: Ecosport. Hyundai experience was relatively better.

I believe you did the right thing. Get the better product, inspite of arrogant dealerships.

There's a difference about Ford back in 2013-2014 though which I mentioned. They had simply suspended taking bookings, specially the DCT variant. Big difference between the two!

Imagine a vehicle with a long waiting period, and dealer simply refuses to take booking - there is nothing you can do than move on to other brands, because you are not even sure when you'll be able to get into the long queue, when you already know the queue itself is bad.

On a different note, as much as I would be willing to credit Maruti for its supposedly good dealership experience by large, personally it hasn't been exactly great. When I bought my Wagon R back in 2005, it was to be my first car ever, paid for completely by me even if it was financed, and I was expectedly excited. And keen to know more before making a decision. Two different Maruti dealerships close to my place were not just arrogant and rude but almost like doing me a favour by even handing over a brochure. Being i my first job, I had a limited budget and it was a bad experience. Hyundai was equally high-headed. And then a third Maruti dealership (DD Motors, Mayapuri) was a completely different and nice experience.

When I decided to change cars, I had already zeroed in on swift top end petrol so there was little to compare. The grand i10 was just about to be launched and I requested a test drive. One week, 3 reminders later, nada. The Hyundai dealership is 1.5 km from my home. Two other Maruti dealerships were equally dismissive and, if I may add, ignorant and yet arrogant. That i wanted to trade in my Wagon R didn't help. And then I went back to DD Motors (same old one) and they arranged a test drive of the swift (exact variant I wanted) at my office (25+ km away) in peak traffic. No restrictions on driving time. No dodging of questions. Transparency in assessing the old car. Follow up later without being too persistent. Even sorted some of the paperwork for the old car which I couldn't find, saying they would dig up from their records.

So basically, even Maruti and Hyundai sales experience can be real bad or good, it's up to the guys at the showroom.

Now, I have read and heard a lot about how Tata dealers are bad. But our experience while buying the recent Tigor was not. From being approached to while walking into the showroom to the sales guy to repeated test drive requests both at showroom and home to delivery, it was all smooth and pleasant. Let's just home the service is as good.

Bottomline: Perceptions matter. Despite a clear fall in standards, Maruti continues to ride on what it has built over the past 30 years and that's where some of its poorer models get the edge even as some better versions from other manufacturers lag. But the gap is surely narrowing.

Voted for WRV in Diesel, here's why

Brezza- Pay now and let your grandchild enjoy it, I'm referring to the 6 month waiting, feels like eternity.

Ecosport- Current version feels outdated.

TUV 300- not in contention with a 3 pot engine.

The remaining options are just done up hatchbacks.

The few times I saw a WRV on road, it certainly has road presence (front), although the back needs help.Except for TUV, Brezza and Eco sport are good to have too.

PS. I recently got a Ciaz, and did look at WRV as an option. Unfortunately, Ciaz has an unbeatable price..it was a mind over matter decision lol:

I voted for WRV, not because I loved the car and booked it, and not because of the sunroof, but because of its space on offer and it's drivability. If I would have bought one for myself, it would be Ecosport facelift. But considering I use the car for my family and that the rear leg space is hugely important to us, had to choose WRV even though it's nowhere near the design of an SUV.

If it was my money (which it is :D) - I would go for the Ecosport - voted as such - but I would wait for the facelift/refreshed version.

Took a small test drive (couple of kms) of Diesel WRV yesterday - was surprised at how comfortable the ride was, interiors were lovely(touchscreen this/touchscreen that), space was brilliant, I really liked the seats and the sun really does shine through the sun roof :)

I liked the way the gears snicked into place and car was very driveable too - I thought overall refinement was pretty good for a diesel when cruising - but it did sound very unrefined when accelerating hard.

It all sounded pretty neat till the SA told me the top-end WR-V diesel costs 13 LAKH on road in Bangalore !!!!!!

Hey folks,
I've voted for the Ford Ecosport as it is much more of an all-rounded package w.r.t its competition. Plus you get a DCT gearbox as an option where the competition doesn't give you any options at all (although the duster gives you an option of 5-speed CVT/AMT though but I'd prefer DCT over CVT/AMT anytime). Secondly the high-end automatic comes loaded with a host of safety features as well. Ford hasn't skimmed on the safety front and now even the base variant gets 2-airbags as standard as well and not to mention it's build quality which reminds me of the Ford's old DNA which something the new-gen Fords lack (e.g Figo and Aspire)

The looks of the Ecosport still looks fresh despite being a 4+year old design. It's bold looks remind me of an SUV(to some extent)

The downsides of the Ecosport are that the cabin is in short of width and it can't accommodate 3 people in the rear seat and thus it can be called as a 4-seater and not a 5-seater and not to mention the lackluster 1.5 TiVCT engine which comes in the automatic and boasts of having best-in class power but unfortunately that power can't be put to use as one would expect. There's a 1.0 Ecoboost as well but the turbo lag puts me off whenever I think of buying a petrol Ecosport. So, if I were to buy the Ecosport, I would go in for the 1.5 TDCI (Diesel) version only.

Thanks,
Varun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 4212811)
Ecosport is the default choice if I am the sole user. But for my family I would pick WRV/i20 active.

Ideal car for me+my family = WRV with 1.2/1.5 ivtec+CVT+Magic seats.

That's right. Especially the i20 Active grows on u. It has almost everything u need - pseudo rugged looks, car like agility, premium & plush cabin, a sense of comfort inside & at the same time peace of mind that it won't scrape speed breakers. After all this u can still have fun with excellent diesel engine.