Team-BHP - Poll: Honda WR-V vs the competition
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Poll: Honda WR-V vs the competition (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/187533-poll-honda-wr-v-vs-competition-6.html)

Thanks all for continuing with your suggestions despite my confusion! We did a few more TDs over the long weekend - updates below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autorahul (Post 4278466)
I think you should check out Ford Aspire in its Diesel variant.
Another car to test would be Baleno RS.
Third option, if you want tall driver seating, check out Ignis.

From the official review - "Not really a ‘hot hatch’. Neither its engine nor the handling are sporty", so I do think the Baleno RS is quite overpriced.

We checked out the Ignis and while I loved the driving position and drivability, we found it a bit small for our requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4278523)
If you decide to go down the diesel path, I'd suggest the i20 diesel.
I'd suggest the Ford Aspire Titanium when it comes to compact sedans.
I'd also suggest you to check out the Ameo which packs a punchy diesel engine which offers the best performance in its segment and one above :).
However, if you want to stick to the Marutis and the Hyundais, the Dzire should be the best bet.

Among the petrols, I'd suggest Maruti Dzire followed by the Honda Jazz.

The speed-sensing auto door-lock is a feature that we definitely want, and that is only available in the i20 Asta (O) option. I am not fully sure, but I don't think this can be added later. This variant is going well above the 10L budget. If indeed it is possible to have this feature separately, then I would be tempted to try the i20 Diesel. The back-seat was not quite comfortable, and the big turning radius (5.2) is a dis-advantage.

We also prefer the back-windows to roll down (almost) fully, so that resulted in eliminating the Polo/Ameo.

We also decided to go for a car that hasn't become a cab (personal preferences), so that ruled out the Dzire, acknowledging that we may be losing out on some good choices here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiya.c (Post 4279371)
The zippiness and maneuverability of small cars like wagon R, i10 and alto is in a different league altogether, so it is not wise to compare them with the higher segment where the size and weight of the cars increases considerably.
So a compact SUV always ticks the right boxes for me. I would suggest you to give it a second thought and keep the option open till you arrive at the final decision.
Please test drive the following vehicles and see if they suit you: (all of these have punchy engines)
- Ford Aspire 1.5 TDCI >> consider extra premium that you pay for this diesel
- i20 diesel 1.4 crdi >> again consider the same
- Baleno/Dzire 1.2 k series >> large zippy petrol
- Grand i10 1.2 petrol >> boot is around 260 liters
- Jazz 1.2
- Not so punchy Nexon 1.2 3 cylinder turbo charged petrol engine
Hope this helps.

Yes, unfortunately, it seems I will have to give up the zippiness, in favour of space and other requirements. :eek:

Much as I would have liked to consider this segment, we have decided to forgo the compact SUVs for this round for reasons mentioned earlier. Hopefully next time.

The i10 is slightly smaller for our requirements, although I have driven it extensively and like it a lot for city driving.

I have decided to stay away from Tata after reading all the concerns around reliability and servicability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasasri (Post 4279450)
Hi Bertie
Here’s my suggestion which fits in with most of your requirements except (probably re-sale value)
It’s the Figo Aspire Titanium TDCi or Figo Aspire Titanium TDCi Sports version. All are MT versions.
The second option that you could consider is the Baleno

I am impressed by the number of recommendations for the Ford Aspire. It was not in my list earlier, but I definitley intend to check it out in the coming days.

Otherwise, currently the choice seems to be between Baleno and the Jazz (petrol versions). Both seemed similar to drive, although I found the Baleno slightly more responsive (due to its low body weight possibly). The slightly smaller turning radius (4.7 vs 4.9) also helps. Of course, what is tilting the scales is the price difference of almost 1L between the variants that we like (Baleno Delta vs. Jazz V). I felt the Baleno provides more useful features in lower variants, while the Jazz scores on premiumness. Pending the Ford Aspire verdict, leaning towards the Baleno as of now, so would really appreicate if anyone has something significantly in favor of the Jazz (or any other car - still happy to consider :)), related to my requirements.

As an update, I decided to go with the Baleno - Alpha version. Test drove both the Baleno and Jazz extensively, and the Baleno won on the peppiness, despite the Jazz having more plush interiors etc.

I checked out the Ford Aspire as well, but somehow wasn't happy driving a Diesel car, especially compared to the smooth petrol versions of both of the others.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! :)