Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2018, 19:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which of my cars should I sell?

Simple math indicates BMW goes first if you want to reduce re-sale losses. Plus, the Altis should be more predictable in maintenance. Even if you need to spend some, the cost of spares would be lesser than that of the BMW. And what @Zappo says adds to this.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 19:54   #17
BHPian

Which car to sell?

Hello Sir,

I suggest you sell the Corolla for the following reasons:

1) Older than the BMW

2) Toyotas are going to fetch you a better resale value.

3) The BMW will always be there to offer you driving pleasure - Something the Corolla will not be able to.

4) The BMW is less than 5 years old.I suggest you enjoy the BMW for a few more years and sell it later on. Let the Corolla leave the garage first.

Regards
Prathik
Prathiiik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

I would say keep the 320d; every time you get behind the wheels of the anaemic Corolla, you will miss the BMW. You have a classic car in hand which you can enjoy for another 5 years minimum, don't let it go.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:33   #19
BHPian

My suggestion is a little different - don't sell either. Before you skip this post, hear me out.

You have a very well-balanced garage, the BMW for snob value and driving pleasure, and the Corolla for reliability and family duties. Selling either one would disrupt that balance, and you won't be completely satisfied. Sell the 320d, and you won't enjoy driving the Corolla at all. Sell the Corolla, the family won't be happy in the cramped BMW.

Considering that the need of the hour is an automatic hatch that's stress-free to drive in the city, why don't you go the pre-owned route? You can find many good examples of the Hyundai i10/i20 and Honda Jazz in the market for around 4 lakhs.
Aaron:) is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with Aaron. An ideal car would be the Brio Automatic! Assuming you have sufficient parking space. You need the Corolla and want the BMW.

Another option is, get an automatic Brezza or Nexon. Both cars are capable of doing family duties. Has the boot capacity and decent passenger comfort. Baleno is something you have already considered.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:13   #21
BANNED

Your original plan is the best one. Sell of the BMW, buy a Baleno AT. Keep the remaining money in a Large cap Mutual fund. Use it as a down payment for a vehicle when need arises. But there is a danger in that, with mutual funds, the kind of returns good funds generate you may altogether stop buying depreciating things. So be forewarned. You have enjoyed the BMW properly, without the safety net of BSI, it's always a gamble. Doctors are emotional guys, but I can't help but being rationalistic. Good luck mate.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 14:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess it's a case of head vs heart.

For the head's perspective; as @zappo (& many others) correctly pointed out - the BMW is the one to go. No questions about that

For the heart's perspective; I believe you already voiced it a few posts back.

I'd completely agree with @zappo. 3.5 years is a long time - the market (and your purse) would be a lot different by then
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 10:44   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which of my cars should I sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
but financially I lose more money by retaining the BMW than the Altis.
If finances were the no.1 decision making factor, then the BMW shouldn't have been bought in the first place . Buying a luxury car or a Rolex watch or a designer suit is never about value-for-money. A Timex watch tells you the same time as a Chopard!

I see a lot of replies suggesting selling the BMW because it makes financial sense. Remember, buying a BMW didn't make 'financial sense' as all luxury cars in India are overpriced. Now that you've got it and are enjoying it, keep using it. The 3-Series has excellent reliability. Maintenance isn't cheap, yes, but you knew that before buying a BMW, right? Moreover, considering BMW's reliability, I would say that it'll be cheaper to own in the longer run than a Mercedes or Audi. So, by luxury car standards, there are no shockers.

Keep the 3-Series. You'll lose too much money in depreciation by selling it. Plus, the enthusiast in you will never be happy with a downgrade. You only live life once. Why sacrifice something after you've already gotten it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Altis is currently being driven by my father and the BMW is being used by me. So with increasing traffic and age too playing part, my father would like to upgrade/downgrade to an AT hatch and we chose the Baleno for it ( yet to book).
If an AT is an absolute must:

1. Sell the Altis and do a lateral upgrade to another AT sedan (link).

2. Sell the Altis & get that AT hatchback.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 10:50   #24
BHPian

I would say, this is a happy situation to be in. If I were you, I would sell the Corolla and buy a Polo GT TSI (or even Ameo TDI DSG). Small footprints, excellent auto-transmission and fun to drive (a perfect 2nd car/city car).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 10:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Toyota Corolla Altis diesel is used quite a bit by taxi fleet operators, or by hotels. If you get a NOC for it and sell outside of NCR, you should get buyers at a decent price. The Corolla is an appliance and will not tug at your heartstrings. The BMW will continue to delight you for many years to come.

Sell the Corolla. Buy the automatic ... err ... I was about to say hatch, but if the automatic car is for your father who needs something more comfortable then think about sedans and crossovers as well.

Find a way to keep the BMW. Frankly, until and unless someone physically wrests it out of my hands at the pain of death, I would not part with it.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 15:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The bigger problem is the upgrade choice being a Baleno CVT. If you can work around this and find another better alternative (that could double up on out of town trips to effecitvely replace the Corolla), it would make sense.
Why?

1) The Corolla is under powered.
2) The Corolla is a previous gen if I am not mistaken - down on features, safety, etc.
3) The Corolla is a manual w/ poor turbo lag. While your father will be happy in his AT hatch, you will hate it every time you hit traffic

Since you are anyways ok getting a petrol AT - why not replace the Corolla with something like a City / Ciaz / Corolla / Creta ? Pre-owned can be an option too as some of these cars are very reliable!
These cars are as spacious as the older Corolla if not more, low maintenance, can be taken anywhere (especially the new Corolla / Creta), will have better safety for out of town trips, etc. (Corolla / Creta / City).

Lastly, a car like the Creta will keep your father happy too as it's quite nimble, comfortable, quiet, has good ground clearance, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 11:38   #27
BHPian

The answer is simple, BMW should stay. Inspite of the NGT rule you will still find many takers for 320d from territories like Punjab as people there are obsessed with luxury/performance cars.

The Altis would not even be a patch of your beemer and just imagine the amount of long drives you can still do in the beemer. Basically you only live once!

Im in the same dilemma as yours as i have a cruze in my garage which is 8 years old now and i would have to dispose her off in next 2 years. But i've still opted to retain her and shall be selling out of state most likely in Punjab where she can still run for 5 more years.
ashish22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:02   #28
BHPian

We are in a similar dilemma. We have a 2011 Santro GLS (Petrol plus LPG), 86,000 KMS covered and First owner. We bought a 2013 Honda Amaze Diesel VX that covered 51,500KMS in October 2020 and 58,500KMS covered now. But we need an Automatic, so considered Nissan Magnite XV turbo CVT. We don't need three cars and should let go any one of the car.
Santro will fetch around 1.5L and Amaze around 3.5L. Santro is very well maintained and is very smooth as it was driven by my dad alone till 2018. After that I started driving it. The Amaze has 99BHP which is just crazy. We are not able to decide
The tyres on Amaze should be changed, around 22K of estimate and some 10K worth work where as Santro needs no work for next 5K KMS atleast. So, confused. Any suggestions are welcome
Old 24th February 2021, 11:23   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
The tyres on Amaze should be changed, around 22K of estimate and some 10K worth work where as Santro needs no work for next 5K KMS atleast. So, confused. Any suggestions are welcome
I would say Santro goes. The Amaze is not too big compared to the Santro. Driving these two would be similar.
22k on tyres for the Amaze will still be an expense that you would utilize.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 15:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
We are in a similar dilemma. We have a 2011 Santro GLS (Petrol plus LPG), 86,000 KMS covered and the First owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I would say Santro goes.
+1 to this^

The Santro should be the one to go since it is not only older but also less powerful and sparse in features than the Amaze. Whatever value you're getting for a 10-year-old car is great and I feel you should sell it ASAP.

Regarding your current options in buying a new car, do have a look at the MS Brezza/Toyota Urban Cruiser as well as the Nexon in addition to the Magnite!
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks