Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2019, 20:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Fun-to-drive car under 5.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Am here having sold the Palio GTX after a good 5 years of mixed experience ownership. The car never stranded me and I had the longest trip (Kottayam - Mumbai) in it. Had a lot of issues it being an old model but I still managed to source new / good parts as preventive maintenance.

I have a budget of 6L tops for my next car. Am going to throw open on the 'body style'. The car is going to be primarily for highways and a diesel preferred (though this can be relaxed based on the right fit).
The figo is good option, the newer ones don't have good dynamics specially at 120-140. I would recommend you to look at manual Jettas or maybe a newer vento/rapid 1.5 tdi. The Jetta would be a very sorted car for the highway with good mod potential

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th December 2019 at 21:16. Reason: Trimmed quote.
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 21:22   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys and keep the suggestions coming. Some of the options at the back of my mind are Figo / Aspire / S Cross / Storme / Jetta manual / Duster / Terrano / Laura / XUV 500 etc (if I can manage decent models in the budget). Please do provide inputs on these and also new suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Did you mean 6L OTR or ex-showroom? New car or used?...

Since you are already experienced with a Fiat, how about a punto 1.3 MJD 90HP one? That's a solid tank. However not sure if they still sell those.

That's only for new, but if you are open for used, am sure you will have a whole gamut of options
Oops - missed mentioning it. Once you taste blood with pre-owned deals, there's no going back. I am thoroughly enjoying a beautiful buy at 30% of the OTR in the form of a CBR 250.

SO YES, ONLY PRE-WORSHIPPED vehicles considered.

No more Fiats. The new gen has weird ergonomics for me (6'2") plus, I dont want to keep running to the mechanic unless for regular service.

Isnt the Ecosport a little too stiff and uncomfortable on broken roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I would say that the 2015-2016 Aspire and the Figo Titanium diesels would be the best bet. Do note that the initial Trend variants didn't come with ABS so you would want to avoid them...

Other options would be 2014-2015 i20 Asta diesel(initial Sportz variants came with a single airbag). The 1.4 CRDi is quite a punchy engine and is close third among the diesels below 10L, bested only by the Ford and the VW. The 2015 Jazz SV/V is another option, but I'd rather prefer the i20....
Am really inclined on the top variants and not a lower trim in the interest of safety equipment.

I have an i20 in the family and it doesn't make a cut for the love of driving. Individually, the car scores well but put together, not a "fun" car. Again, Id be wary of sft suspension vehicles as they tend to be bouncy over speeds but again, something I'd like to verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
The figo is good option, the newer ones don't have good dynamics specially at 120-140. I would recommend you to look at manual Jettas or maybe a newer vento/rapid 1.5 tdi. The Jetta would be a very sorted car for the highway with good mod potential
Well, in fact, I TDed a Jetta TDi manual and loved it. The specimen I tried had really bad brakes but I believe its an exception.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th December 2019 at 21:24.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 21:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

My picks would be

1. A last-year model (2014 or 2015) first-gen Figo or Fiesta. Should run for about 3 lakhs.

2. A later (I think it ran till 2017) Ritz. Very fun car, goes much cheaper than the Swift, again 3-4 lakhs.

I think the top specs on all of these cane with dual airbags.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 22:04   #49
BHPian

Here’s some really good cars that come under 5.5 lacs:
- Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI
- Ford Fiesta 1.6
- Honda Civic 1.8 S/V MT (not AT)
- Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI / VW Vento 1.2 TSI (if you can find one)

Then there’s the regular thoroughfare (read boring, compared to the above):
- Ritz
- Swift
- Figo
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 09:45   #50
BHPian

Look for a City ivtec which you can mod later on as well. The quality of Honda have been good (falling these days) so you would not have much trouble getting it serviced.

Other option is an Abarth or Linea Tjet. Servicing it will be a challenge and parts are expensive. But on the positive side you may negotiate hard and get a relatively newer one in less than 4 lakhs. You save some at the start and spend it later on for changing parts or servicing.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 15:28   #51
anb
BHPian

I would opt for Figo 1.5 diesel. Good ride,handling, performance, fuel efficiency and decent braking. It has low sevice costs as well. Remapped Figo is faster than a remapper Polo TDI.

Last edited by anb : 7th January 2020 at 15:31.
anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 16:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Just go for a Honda Brio.

Under appreciated, under loved.

The engine is smooth as silk, its a vTec.

If you can just overcome its toy like look, its a good bet.
ac 427 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:39   #53
BHPian

I wanted to update the thread with good news!

After considering the abarth and the civic I went up for a white 2012 manual civic owned by a fellow bhpian and kept very well!

The polo twins did not excite me anymore and the baleno rs was low on quality,steering wheel and gear shift feel.
jayanttalwar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
I wanted to update the thread with good news!

After considering the abarth and the civic I went up for a white 2012 manual civic owned by a fellow bhpian and kept very well!

The polo twins did not excite me anymore and the baleno rs was low on quality,steering wheel and gear shift feel.
Great choice that is. Would be great if youregularly update on your experience and ownership regarding the same.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks