Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2007, 18:41   #1

Gypsy from Auctions, Pls help !!

Hi ppl,
I'm on the look out for a used Gypsy. Going thru various forums and discussing with people, getting one from Armed forces/Police auctions seems a good idea. However, there are views that these vehicle are totally abused and would have run 3-4 lakh kms. And invariably the engine, etc shld be changed in most cases, and there goes my idea of restoring it on my shoe string budget!! Also I hear that I dont get the newer MPFIs at auctions? Is that all true? Where are these auctions held? Any in Blr, Kerala, TN? What would the normal price? Are there agents who can go about the auction process on my behalf?
Request all expirienced members to please help me out!
Thanks and drive safe.
AB.
Old 2nd March 2007, 00:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... interesting thought. Well, it is not unheard of though. However I would suggest that you go for a armed forces (army) gypsy. The reason being that they have a fixed kms after which they auction the vehicles off as "scrap". And that km is definitely not as high as 3-4 lacs. However the same could not be said about the police vehicles and other govt departments which flog the vehicles till the end as they are perennially short of budget.

However the chances are that any such vehicle picked from the auctions will need some good amount of rebuilding as the vehicles keep lying in the scrap yards till a sizeable mass of them accumulates before an auction is called.

Most often these are closed tenders floated amongst the registered scrap dealers who pick these vehicles up at dirt cheap prices (scrap) and then tow them off. If the vehicles are absolute scraps then they are scavenged for some usable parts and then sold off as metal sheets. Else they are rebuild and sold. Many such Nissan powervans (built by VFJ) do the duty as pick-ups and small city trucks. These trucks are picked up for as low as 20000-25000 rupees.

If you are interested you will have to hunt for such registered scrap buyers who can help you out.
Old 2nd March 2007, 01:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Police has such auctions often, and Gypsys sometimes go for as low as Rs. 2000. Rest assured, they have been driven to the ground and parts have been swapped. If you are still interested, I could get you the dates for the enxt auction.
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Mumbai Police has such auctions often, and Gypsys sometimes go for as low as Rs. 2000. Rest assured, they have been driven to the ground and parts have been swapped. If you are still interested, I could get you the dates for the enxt auction.
@ porthead are you aware of any similar auctions which happens in B'lore. Aslo do u know any agency which are into the auction business in B'lore would love to pick up a Gypsy !!

Last edited by jango : 2nd March 2007 at 11:54.
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/tender/dte-cxi-auction.pdf

the above link has a gypsy for auction in delhi. I wonder if it is still available though.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 2nd March 2007 at 11:51.
Old 2nd March 2007, 17:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey ported, im interested. Cld u find out the details and let me know please?
Old 2nd March 2007, 17:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hey ported, im interested. Cld u find out the details and let me know please?
Done, sirji. I'll let you know as soon as I get dates for the next auction. I'd know beforehand, as the Police workshop is right opposite my college. Do you have any model preferences?
Old 2nd March 2007, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Done, sirji. I'll let you know as soon as I get dates for the next auction. I'd know beforehand, as the Police workshop is right opposite my college. Do you have any model preferences?
Kuch bhi chalega bro, as im gonna throw the engine away anyways. beggers cant be choosers u know. Ill wait for ur mail. Thanks and appreciate it mate.
Old 3rd March 2007, 08:54   #9
BHPian

Yard sales & Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Kuch bhi chalega bro, as im gonna throw the engine away anyways. beggers cant be choosers u know. Ill wait for ur mail. Thanks and appreciate it mate.
Another place that you can get good deals are the ceased vehicles of banks or other financial institutions. The only issue is that the papers wont be in perfect shape. My collegue picked up a 3y old Zen VXi from such a yard sale for 1.4L or so. But for a few small things, it was in good shape. It took him 14 months to get all the papers transfered to his name though. But just like in an auction, you dont get to test drive or check the vehicle. All you can do is, look at it from outside, peek into the insides, and decide.

Also in Mumbai, there are customs auctions that take place every quarter. Almost similar T&C as in above case, but for someone like you v-16, it could be a fav hunting ground. (Guess you might have tried this path already?)

Last edited by determinus : 3rd March 2007 at 08:57.
Old 5th March 2007, 21:26   #10

thanx everyone for ur inputs. I was wondering if anyone knew about these auctions in Blr? Are army auctions held wherever there are army bases or is it held at one specific place only in India/ one per zone?
Auctions held by banks/loaners to sell off seized vehicles is a good choice, but I reckon finding a Gypsy in such an auction would be a far cry. These are mostly bought by enthusiasts or organisations like the Armed forces/police. So finding a Gypsy that was bought on loan that wasn't repaid is a rare chance I guess.

AB
Old 6th March 2007, 02:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
similar T&C as in above case, but for someone like you v-16, it could be a fav hunting ground. (Guess you might have tried this path already?)
Ur spot on mate. Ur so so right but these auctiond have started getting ''fixed'' or so it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcanji View Post
...I reckon finding a Gypsy in such an auction would be a far cry. These are mostly bought by enthusiasts or organisations like the Armed forces/police. So finding a Gypsy that was bought on loan that wasn't repaid is a rare chance I guess.

AB
u snatched the words outta my mouth bro!!
Old 6th March 2007, 14:48   #12
BHPian

I wonder where i need to look out for a gypsy in b'lore or in cochin ??
Old 10th March 2007, 11:53   #13

Ditto !!! Maybe even in TN?
Old 11th March 2007, 22:46   #14
BHPian

there is a Banglore based gentleman by the name of Jatinder singh who owns a 2001 mpi white soft top. His number is
here is the reply to my email enquiry. The vehicle looks very good in the pics
Hi,

Hope you must be doing well, if you remember you have contacted me sometime back for a Gypsy. Actually I was in US on business trip and that's why not responded you.

Now I want to sell my Maruti Gypsy and looking for a genuine buyer. The vehicle is in showroom condition and driven only 29,000 km till now. Vehicle is driven only in Chandigarh and it gives a mileage of 11km/liter. It’s in standard condition and not modified. Vehicle is in Bangalore right now and I have NOC.

If you are Dealer then please excuse as I am only interested in selling my vehicle to passionate Gypsy lover.

Description:

Maruti Gypsy King (Soft Top) 8 Seater
Model: 2001 September
Owner: First Owner
Meter Reading : 29,000
Fuel Type: Petrol
Condition: Showroom
Current Registration: Chandigarh
Expectation: 3.15 Lakhs (Negotiable)
NOC available.

If you are interested, please email me at [COLOR=#003399]mailtojsb@yahoo.com[/COLOR] or
you can call me @ +91 080 41677524
[COLOR=#003399][/COLOR]
Checkout the attached picture to have a glimpse about the condition of the vehicle.

Regards
Jatinder Singh

hi,

Just for your reference, here are some latest pics of my Gypsy...........I have NOC so registration in KA will not be an issue. Let me know if you are interested
Old 12th March 2007, 20:31   #15
BHPian

dontuuuuuu

hi buddys...

Getting gypsy from auction is not tat easy job.
I tried this option 7 months back.

I even located one gypsy from TNPCB chennai and was all set to enter teh auction.
Then one gentleman(an engineer in TNPCB) frankly told me that the auction is already "fixed"(underground work) and asked me not to waste my time and money.

I attended the auction and found his words true.
There will be a set of traders in each city who keep an eye on such auctions.. they take all the vehicles as a bulk.

this is from my experience..

So my advice is to go for pvt party owned good condition gypsy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks