Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 14:33   #46
BHPian

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

1. Perhaps a sedan or a hatchback as they already have a Brezza (Sub-compact SUV) at home. Someone suggested this purchase would complete their garage, I agree.

3. Get the safest car out there in that budget. Car with ABS, EBD, ESP, Traction Control and 6 airbags perhaps.

5. Prefer a petrol engine, being the second car, it may not be used as much as the Brezza which is already a 1.3 DDIS Diesel. Petrol cars are also usually more silent than their Diesel counter-parts.
I absolutely agree with Kalyan_hyd! I don't mean offence but I think gifting her the safest car available (if you have to buy her a car at all) speaks volumes. Buying the top end spec will also make sure one doesn't feel the urge to upgrade later due to a lack of features.

In addition to the suggestions above, you could also consider the following vehicles (OTR in Kochi) :

1. Ford EcoSport S Ecoboost MT (12.8L OTR) : On top of the Titanium + trim, you also get Sync 3 (with CarPlay and AndroidAuto, which I think is a must these days), auto HID headlamps and wipers, a strong powertrain, a sweet black out package and a host of other features . Quite a special car but you'll have to stretch a bit. The Titanium+ if you don't need Sync though.

2. Hyundai i20 Asta (O) MT/CVT (9.3L / 10.5L OTR) : Since you're not keen on the Venue. This has 6 Airbags, CarPlay/AndroidAuto and will comfortably come within your 11L budget.

Both these variants come with ISOFIX for child seats as well.

Wishing your sister a very happy married life ahead!

Last edited by Sheel : 10th January 2020 at 22:48. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank You!
saur95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 14:37   #47
BHPian

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Hey, everybody. I'm trying to find a car to gift my sister at her wedding.
Congratulations!!!

Without being a generalist, I am going to make some general observations.
  • Women typically have an eye for designs that are elegant than aggressive.
  • Choice of colour is very very important, even when compared to choice of model.They prefer bold colours, like red, or blue than bland ones, like silver or grey.
  • Preferably automatic, as "most" woman find manual gears as an unnecessary burden.

Considering the above, I'd say
  • Flash Red Polo GT
  • Red honda Jazz/Wrv(No auto?)/City (Honda doesn't offer the car in any other attractive colour for these cars- In fact the best red colour is the one on Brio).
  • Red/Blue/Black Ecosport

A final word: Irrespective of what she says, she has clear choices. May God bless you
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 15:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

If she will self-drive, in BLR traffic, I'd pick an Auto :

1. VW Polo GT TSi is among the more popular choices - not for the performance, but the compact dimensions, solid build quality, mature ride & handling. It would complement the Brezza very well too - one for highways, one for the city driving. The DSG is the biggest bane however.

2. Hyundai Venue if the roads are bad, with similar advantages & disadvantages as the Polo. Would be my pick, and also good for highways too if she has to do a lot of highway driving for work / travel. The extra space also makes this a good family car & for those days when she is being driven around.

3. If you want to avoid the DSG / DCT route, stick to the tried and tested Honda CVT with the Amaze & Jazz.

If she will be driven:

1. Maruti Ciaz
2. Toyota Yaris

If self drive & manual, do look at the 1.5L Diesels from Suzuki, as well as the Yaris Petrol.

Also: As many have pointed out, buying a car is easy but the maintenance can be an added burden. Please do try and factor in a service package, extended warranty, 3 year insurance, etc.
Lastly, there are better options than a car as a wedding gift, especially because after a while they will sell it (?) unless they have the time, money & patience to look after the car for years - in which case please do pick up something iconic / legendary .

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th January 2020 at 15:10.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 15:20   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Your sister is real gifted to have a brother like you, look no further get her a Honda Jazz CVT, she'll remember you for a life time!
I would also vote for this. Jazz CVT makes for a perfect young family car. (My cousin uses it too & his twin daughters enjoy this car!) The hassle free CVT drive, huge space & easy city driving potential make it a wonderful package. If you can get a sweet deal on it, do go for this one.
Old 10th January 2020, 16:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me start by saying that my father gifted my sister a Zen Estilo 11 years back.

As a petrolhead I would hang my head in shame that I let them buy Zen Estilo!! However, I was a rebel back then, totally antisocial, basically an idiot.

Fast forward to 2017-18 and when she returned to India from her US stint, I had to suggest her the safest and most practical automatic car - Jazz CVT top trim it was!

Jazz is a wonderful car, its a Honda, rubber band CVT doesn't bother 99% of its buyers and I rate it a notch above our top trim Honda City (its a manual).

Its got great visibility, is as spacious as C-segment sedans and a totally fuss free ownership experience.

I'll be honest though, Jazz is a little old today simple because we got a good product well ahead of its time, specially when half of car buyers are enjoying new Maruti tin cans every year and Honda decided to just bring out Jazz n Brio in the hatchback segment. I digress though.

Coming back to your original choice, the Ecosport. Even Ecosport is a little old today but then its the Jazz case all over again. A solid product when all Maruti could do was bring out Brezza, meh!

To summarize -

What's the safest body-type when there is no SUV/hatchback/sedan criteria - its compact SUV!

What's the safest transmission type - AT!

What are the safest (literally) options then - well loaded proven products like the Ecosport.

I'd strongly suggest the highest petrol Ecosport trim, in its AT avatar! Venue would be my second consideration, I hate the way it looks but its a good car overall.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 17:43   #51
BHPian

Since they already have a crossover in the form of breeze, it is assumed that the car you gift will be more of your sister's personal toy.
I would suggest that size-for-price actor maybe given a miss and quality should be your focus. So my suggestions in the order of preference(with is girly mindset):
1. Abarth Punto- helluva car! But I presume it's no more in production or sale.
2. GT TSI - German quality with convince of automatic. What's not to like.
3. i20 - happy with quality and features. Cover all bases nicely.
Old 10th January 2020, 18:01   #52
BHPian

At 11 Lakh (+ / - 1 Lakh), my vote would go to the Tata Nexon XZA+ Petrol.

Its a safe car, looks bold, has oodles of space and has the added convenience of an automatic + reasonable maintenance from Tata (may be add-in extended warranty on top).
Old 10th January 2020, 18:48   #53
BHPian

Dude, this way you’ll end up getting more confused. Put the Short listed ones on a Poll and Let us see the magic of democracy.✌��
Old 10th January 2020, 19:08   #54
BHPian

May be an 11lakh FD will do her more good than a car which might be lying unused My 2 cents.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 19:30   #55
sgm
BHPian

Quote:

So, before I do something stupid, I figured I'll ask around: is there another vehicle in this price range that I should consider that looks presentable and functions well?
Hi di1in, does your sister enjoy driving? A Polo TSI would be good choice. I see many ladies driving around Polo TSI in Bangalore.
Is car a just a means of transport for her? Any comfortable no non-sens car like what is suggested by Vidyut below, are very relaxing and comfortable, low on maintenance and will run for years to come.

My wife is not a keen driver, so be it Merc or Altis, they are the same to her and doesn't even want to drive in crowded Bangalore roads. She likes her small city car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If it is for your sister, she will appreciate an Automatic transmission more than the car.

My choices below:

1. Honda Jazz VX CVT. Top end model.
2. Toyota Yaris G CVT. Will be slightly above 11 but a Toyota parked in front of the reception and the future ownership is something nobody will forget. Its also leagues ahead of the JAzz above.

Ciaz is also a good option but the Yaris is superior to drive as well as own.
I agree here. Automatics are a boon to most of the ladies. Even men may like automatics once they have experience the convenience of automatics in cities. Age and traffic situation changes our preferences. I used to love manuals when I was younger but now I don't fancy driving manuals.
The Brezza they have is anyway a manual and a pseudo SUV, so why not a sedan?
Old 10th January 2020, 22:18   #56
BHPian

They already own a car, they prefer cabs for going around, they use cabs for office commute as well, so a car would just remained parked, they'll have to bear the service cost and insurance cost without the full utilization of the vehicle. And the value of the car would depreciate everyday!

I know it would look good, a car parked in the wedding ceremony but i think you should get them a Fixed deposit of 11 lakh rupees, It will give good interest and in the future when they need a big amount for anything, they can use that amount, which will be more than 11 lacks due to interest.

Moreover you can get the FD bond printed like a big certificate, which they do in cricket match presentation if you want to show your gift in the reception.
That's what i would do in your case, that's what my father did for my sister, minus the big certificate.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th January 2020 at 22:45. Reason: lack = lakh.
yesyeswe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 00:14   #57
BHPian

Recommend that you get them a no nonsense and reliable car!
The Ecosport is lovely in that sense and the dragon is a nice engine to drive! It is ageing and will be replaced soon with a development with M&M.
The Freestyle can be looked into as well along with the option of a Jazz CVT.
Baleno and i20 cvt are also available with 10.5L OTR.
Old 11th January 2020, 00:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

I concur with the view that gifting a car needs to be rethought. 11 lakhs can help a newly married couple to put down payment on a house, or even a simple FD will basically gift her 50k every year for her life! Car is a depreciating liability. If your sister doesn’t specifically have the need of a new car, gift her some asset.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 04:07   #59
BHPian

Amazing gesture man!

No offense, your gift would have been priceless if it was going to be the first car of the newlyweds. But with the knowledge of your BIL's Brezza and thier general commuting use cases, a new car may not have the desired impact on her/their life.

If I was in a similar situation and was as generous as you, I would have bought my sister 11 lakhs worth of REITs, which essentially gives her tiny ownership in commercial real estate. She'll enjoy monthly rentals and also capital appreciation over the long term. It is relatively less riskier than stocks. She can liquidate it whenever she wants. There is only one listed as on today (Embassy Office Parks REIT) but soon one more from the Raheja group will also list.

This shall not give you the bragging rights nor will become the talk of the ceremony but will definitely have a bigger impact on her life.
Old 11th January 2020, 09:02   #60
BHPian

If the car is going to belong her and she will be the one driving, choose an automatic transmission that is easy to drive and park.

Top picks can be
1. Honda Jazz
2. Honda Amaze
3. Hyundai Venue
4. Hyundai Gi10 Nios
5. Baleno CVT

If it will be driven by your BIL mostly, choose among Yaris, City, Ciaz and Verna.
Lastly, buying the higher variant is best for long term.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks