Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which 1.0 TSI for me?
VW Polo 122 24.60%
Skoda Rapid 374 75.40%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 17:11   #1
BHPian

Caught between the VW Polo & Rapid 1.0 TSI

Dear Bhpians,

I currently own a remapped Ford fiesta 2015 model and looking for an apt replacement of the same.

With all the buzz around it, the all new Rapid and Polo with 1.0 tsi engine caught my attention.

Having taken TDs of both, I am all the more confused between which one to go for. Below are some of my observations.

Polo felt faster and brakes felt more confidence inspiring.

Rapid on the other hand, feels more practical in terms of space it offers as well as features ( 4 airbags , touch screen system , projector head lamps ).

Rapid seems to handle better and confidence inspiring where as brakes felt not as sharp as Polo's.

Can't comment on the high speed stability of both as max I could reach was around 100 because of the road conditions. But, given VW groups reputation on highway manners and stability, I believe both are competent enough. But, would definitely love to hear a comparision from someone who has pushed both Rapid and Polo in open roads.

As my next car, I am looking for something which is fast and fun to drive ( more driver oriented ). My head says Polo but the Heart says Rapid. Anyone ?. Please help me here.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2020 at 18:11. Reason: typos
linuxmanju is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th July 2020, 17:43   #2
BHPian

re: Caught between the VW Polo & Rapid 1.0 TSI

The Rapid is marginally heavier than the Polo which is peppier, and I think this answers your observation. When it comes to stability at high speeds however, I have heard, if I’m not mistaken, that the Polo is stabler than its sedan counterparts, though it’s highly likely to have been the older 1.5 TDI engine. Given that this one has a lighter engine, the Rapid should be more of the better cruiser. If you want the boot and the slightly better rear legroom, get the Rapid. Our 1.6 petrol Rapid is very stable at unmentionable speeds.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 7th July 2020 at 17:45.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 18:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Caught between the VW Polo & Rapid 1.0 TSI

Both are pretty much the same car, with the only differences being in brand (better dealer might have an advantage), price, rear legroom (Rapid = longer wheelbase), boot size and suspension tuning. Since you have narrowed it down to these two, I guess you are okay with the European ownership experience which has its pros & cons, and the fact that both are old models.

I would personally go for the Skoda because I liked the Rapid's suspension tune + am a sedan guy + rear legroom makes it a family car (Polo legroom sucks). And of course, there are the feature advantages.

EDIT: Adding a poll to spice things up .

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2020 at 18:44.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 18:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Caught between the VW Polo & Rapid 1.0 TSI

Two cars from different segments but from the same group (VAG) with hit or miss aftermarket services, build to last and will always put a smile on your face when taking it for a spin.

If rear seat space is not a concern, to me it would be the Polo TSI.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th July 2020 at 16:15. Reason: typo
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Our 1.6 petrol Rapid is very stable at unmentionable speeds.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would personally go for the Skoda because I liked the Rapid's suspension tune + am a sedan guy + rear legroom makes it a family car (Polo legroom sucks). And of course, there are the feature advantages.

EDIT: Adding a poll to spice things up .
Thanks GTO, I am leaning towards the Rapid too. Thanks for the poll, that should clear the cloud for me.

Oh, and I am OK with the European ownership experience ( or the lack of it ). Will fight it out somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If rear seat space is not a concern, to me it would be the Polo TSI.
Thank you. At this moment, rear space and boot are a "nice to have" than a priority.

Meanwhile, has anyone taken TDs of both and felt the brakes are a lot better in Polo than in Rapid ?. Just trying to rule out the possibility of an issue with the TD car.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:52   #6
BHPian

Voted for Skoda Rapid. Its like a poor man's M3. From outside for non-petrol heads, its practical sedan. I had test driven both polo and rapid last year (1.2 TSI and 1.5 NA). Rapid was the one which got most marks in my house.

For my family's perspective, Rapid scored in terms of back seat space, airiness inside the cabin, boot, color options. Polo got marks only for it being a hatch back making it easy to drive in city.
shashi792 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:10   #7
BHPian

Oh, man, this is going to be interesting! I am in a similar dilemma and here I have voted for the Polo as my personal preference. Please allow me to elaborate.

I will mostly be driving alone, for the next 5-6 years, at max with another person. The rare occasions when my Mum is going to travel, she will probably be OK with the rear bench. The compact dimensions are the main plus point for me. In our packed road conditions, I would always prefer a compact car that is powerful.

However, carrying backseat passengers is important, I would opt for the Vento or Rapid.

Just to confuse you some more, if you need a car immediately, will it be OK to get a pre-owned one for a year or two and get the Europeans coming to our shore next year (The Taigun, new Rapid, etc.). I'm expecting them to be modern than the current-gen Polo or Rapids are.
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Just to confuse you some more, if you need a car immediately, will it be OK to get a pre-owned one for a year or two and get the Europeans coming to our shore next year (The Taigun, new Rapid, etc.). I'm expecting them to be modern than the current-gen Polo or Rapids are.

I think going a pre-owned route also makes sense.

To add more confusion, think of a pre-owned punto abarth. May be that will heal the turbo-petrol itch (there are lot of drawbacks of this). Later you may upgrade to a Tiguan.
shashi792 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Rapid. I like the classy looks of a sedan and would prefer it over a hatch anyday. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change your Fiesta ? It is just 5 years old and is a classic sedan. What extra are you getting from Polo or Rapid ?
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hands down the Rapid. It is more spacious and comfortable. You also have the base variant which is priced very well (7.5L ex-showroom).

Of course, it does depend on your requirements to decide what you need.

Neither car is new and since you are OK with the European experience, pick one based on the service. Bangalore is OK for both
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 01:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Voted for Rapid. I like the classy looks of a sedan and would prefer it over a hatch anyday. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change your Fiesta ? It is just 5 years old and is a classic sedan. What extra are you getting from Polo or Rapid ?
Without doubt, I enjoyed my Fiesta. It has clocked close to 1 lakh Kms and now showing its age. Moreover spares availability is something I am struggling with.

Extra, may be a better TC petrol engine with a good potential to remap. I read somewhere, there are already some remaps available which can push this 1.0 tsi till 130 BHP ( in some European blog ).
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 03:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rapid if you need the space and don't have access to a larger car at home.

I enjoy driving hatchbacks more, so Polo for me personally.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 07:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

I like the way Rapid drives compared to the Polo, though I haven't driven both with the 1.0 TSI. Will do when they make that AT available. Hope the AT wouldn't sap joy out of that sweet turbo petrol.

As of now, my thinking goes like this:
Rapid Onyx TSI - if its the only car in the garage. Lowered though!
Polo TSI - if its the second car. Upcoming Figo 1.2 AT also got a big shout here.

But it is not going to be easy to replace the 2015 Fiesta. The 1.0 TSI looks like a great motor, but both cars here will fall short of the Fiesta on the steering, ride and handling. The chassis can be improved a bit by suspension mods though!
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 07:52   #14
Team-BHP Support

Always prefer a sedan and hence the natural recommendation would the Rapid. That said, I felt (based on the online reviews/videos) the Polo looks like a neater package inside-out. Somehow the Rapid gives a mod-ed feel, the seats especially in the Monte Carol edition looks tacky, the Android tablet also looks aftermarket.

As an alternate option, why not the Vento? The TSI edition looks like a good package (the stickers can go), even the pricing is not bad.

And if its the Rapid, maybe the best is to get the Rider version and add on the goodies.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th July 2020 at 07:55.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 08:32   #15
BHPian

Voted for Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Rapid on the other hand, feels more practical in terms of space it offers as well as features ( 4 airbags , touch screen system , projector head lamps ).
Looks like you are looking among the top trims of rapid. rapid rider does make a good case for itself given the 7.5L ex-showroom price but then the second variant is 2.5L ahead of it and variants above are anyways pricier

Spending more than 13L OTR and getting something with not so good feature list, aftermarket looking HU. I agree that the design of car is clean and it is as bare bones as it can get for a sedan(which has it's own appeal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Thank you. At this moment, rear space and boot are a "nice to have" than a priority.

Meanwhile, has anyone taken TDs of both and felt the brakes are a lot better in Polo than in Rapid ?. Just trying to rule out the possibility of an issue with the TD car.
Given that rear space and boot aren't on priority, I feel that Polo TSI makes much more sense here.

It could either have been a rapid rider vs polo TSI, where considering both would have made a lot of sense. Go for top trims of Rapid only if you are inclined towards sedans in general.

Either way, you end up with an awesome engine, handling and a lot of grinning when you floor them

Happy shopping. Waiting for your Purchase experience post
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks