Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which 1.0 TSI for me?
VW Polo 122 24.60%
Skoda Rapid 374 75.40%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 11:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Caught between the VW Polo & Rapid 1.0 TSI

I own a Polo, and would go any day for a Rapid(read sedan) just because of rear legroom. In Polo, it is almost comical on my driver seat setting, and a 6' person like me sitting behind driver.

I would rate the boot space of polo as good enough, but a sedan is any day better. P.s. I like the look of new Rapid.

Only discouraging factor would be Skoda service, because I rate VW service very good.

Voted for Rapid.

Last edited by amods : 10th July 2020 at 11:27.
amods is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 11:27   #32
BHPian

Rapid, anyday, unless you are buying this as a second car, one to thrash around on the weekends. Because the rear legroom is woefully bad.

I am above average height and I had the misfortune of sitting in one in the back, for a 200 kms journey. Even stops every once in a while couldn't do it for me.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 11:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
As my next car, I am looking for something which is fast and fun to drive ( more driver oriented ). My head says Polo but the Heart says Rapid. Anyone ?. Please help me here.

I think you meant - heart says Polo ( more passion than pragmatic) , while head says Rapid ( more pragmatic than passion) .

Keeping that aside, I think the path ahead is clear.

If the car is for just you + 1 with not much luggage , then POLO is the way to go.

But, if you seldom drive alone and have your family behind, RAPID should be your option.

I voted for Rapid since I drive mostly with people and luggage and as per many reports, the difference between the performance of Rapid & Polo is livable ( though some might disagree) , but the rear seats and legroom would be a predicament for the Polo.

Last edited by poised2drive : 10th July 2020 at 11:35.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 11:42   #34
BHPian

Voted for Rapid. Bigger is better in almost all the aspects.

Rapid looks better than Polo to my eyes. Never really liked the looks of polo. Extra legroom, bigger boot space and looks favours Rapid to me.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:01   #35
BHPian

I would recommend Rapid, hands down. A bigger sedan + few extra features should seal the deal. As the maintenance , service and after sales too will remain almost same for the both. Rapids are a bit less in number on road compared to Polo, that adds some uniqueness. Get the Rapid, smoke the tail lamps and dechrome the grill = Enjoy!
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 13:29   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Rapid anyday over the polo.

Why?

1. Practicality - Rapid can actually seat 4 tall adults, has a big boot

2. Ride quality - Way better than the polo

3. Looks - 3 box proportionality and sedan image

4. Overall quality - may surprise a few here, but budget skodas are way better put together than the modern budget VWs. For instance, my friend's 2018 Vento has already developed rattles from the dash within 35,000 km on the odo, while my brother's 2013 Rapid is still rattle free, even at 1,70,000 km on the odo. Both are used on the same kind of roads, driven by gentlemen who are good drivers.

Volkswagen service isn't any better than Skodas here. Do that wouldn't be a deciding factor at all.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th July 2020 at 13:34.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 14:25   #37
BHPian

Voted for the Polo. I've always been a hatch guy and I love hatches that dart on curvy sections with bare minimal/marginal weight shifts. That said, the Rapid is also a good car in terms of handling as well. Its just that it doesn't feel as chuck-able as a Polo GT TSI 1.2 on a ghat section. If you look at a long term prospect where you'd probably be ferrying your parents or other family members on a regular basis, pick the Rapid.
Since both are good driver oriented cars, weigh in your factors and decide.
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 14:25   #38
BHPian

I voted for the Polo - I was in the same position as you and booked the Polo TSI. I must admit I'm more of a hatchback guy and when I test drove the Polo, I immediately felt at home - The proportions, driving position, dynamics, handling etc. were just perfect and the car felt very sprightly. Also, considering its running mostly being in Mumbai and nearby areas, its small footprint makes life easy. I don't have much requirement for the rear seat and so it didn't really bother me. Except the space, I would say Polo would be a better choice compared to Rapid.
What also needs to be considered is the fact that even though pretty decently equipped, it's the base variant of Rapid that's competing with the topmost variant of Polo. Personally, I don't like a lot of aftermarket additions to my rides and so generally advocate buying the top variants of any car. That being the case, I would gravitate towards Polo as the choice.
The top of the line Polo, now with a 6-speed manual and the 1.0 TSI engine, I feel sits at a very sweet spot now. While some may say it's essentially a very old car, which even the Rapid is, purely looking from Polo's competition - there's no other hatchback in its segment that comes close to the feel that this car gives. While there is the dated though functional interiors of the Polo, from equipment and features point of view, there really is nothing that the Polo misses out on compared to the competition.
sharatravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 14:55   #39

Voted for Rapid. Except for the engine (1.0 TSI vs 1.2 TSI) and the compact size, Rapid scores in all other areas. To me Rapid looks better than Polo as well.
Old 10th July 2020, 15:55   #40
BHPian

As you are ready to spend rapid top model money, why not go with the polo tsi automatic variant? You'll get all the things you have mentioned plus the convenience of an automatic gearbox, moreover the torque converter gearbox will give you peace of mind as well. With banglore traffic automatic is a must i think.

Last edited by yesyeswe : 10th July 2020 at 15:57.
Old 10th July 2020, 16:58   #41
BHPian

Voted for Rapid.

I have driven the Polo (1.2 L NA Petrol) and Rapid (1.5 Diesel) extensively in Bengaluru and Chennai and between the two cities mentioned.

I did not feel a huge difference in their ride and handling.

Differences that matter to me between the Rapid and Polo are, Rapid comes better lights in the front while Polo comes better steering controls. My rides are mostly solo but I can recommend you the Rapid for better rear leg room.

I am not introduced to the new 1.0 Liter turbo petrol, so I shall reserve my comments.

We cannot write off the breaking in Rapid so easily. I feel they are quite adequate in case of my stage 1 remapped 2015 Rapid Diesel, even at speeds above legal limits here. However, my cousin had to upgrade the brakes on his stage 1 remapped 2014 Vento to an expensive ones. It is altogether in a different league after the upgrade.

In all, if your usage is more in city and less on highways then Polo is better, else consider Rapid. I opted to sell my 2008 Getz Diesel in 2016 after I purchased the Rapid for the same reasons that are now bothering you. I regret to not have read the post "
Quote:
At the cost of possible repetition, have you gone through this thread?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)
" then. But I am enjoying my stint with my Rapid.
Fan@Automotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:52   #42
Mik
BHPian

Haven't driven the Tsi versions but I did find the Polo much more involving than the Rapid in the earlier avatars.
However, coming from a sedan, I think you should stick to a sedan only or you will suddenly start feeling the lack of space. So my vote goes to Rapid unless you are mostly going to be alone in the car.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
With all the buzz around it, the all new Rapid and Polo with 1.0 tsi engine caught my attention.
Though heart for both cars is same, i think this is not a good comparison. One is hatch back and other is proper sedan. My choice is go for Skoda eyes closed. Look wise Skoda Rapid clear winner here. Though it is 10 years old, recent changes makes it look hot, timeless design. Polo looks dated now with not much changes over years. Back seat space and boot is way too small when compared with Rapid. I will suggest bargain hard for Rapid higher variant and get a good deal on it. Looks hot in red & black combo. All the best.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 20:56   #44

Voted for the Rapid TSi.
But I realised this the hard way. I owned the younger sibling of the Polo, the Fabia, which was more or less the same in terms of in-cabin space. I had the same reasons for buying a hatch over a sedan; alone or +1 driven 99% of times. And of the 1,30,000km driven, 99.99% was great. But one the one day that it mattered, a 130km drive really pissed me off. We were in the ladki-ke-ghar jaana hai phase of my life and my dad drove and I was squished in the rear seat. By the time we reached I was in such bad shape that the conversations felt like crap cuz I felt like crap from inside. That was the day I decided, no more hatch for me.
If the brakes don't have bite, put on some performance brakes; if the engine doesn't revv like you want it to, get a remap. But no amount of money can get you a bigger boot and rear seat leg room.
SkodaFan0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 21:04   #45
BHPian

I own a Polo and there's absolutely no leg room in the rear for a reasonably tall adult. No doubt the driving dynamics of the Polo is fantastic. I would still recommend you go in for the Rapid purely for larger legroom in the rear and a larger boot.

Voted for the Rapid.
Zen Av8r is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks