Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 12:45   #1
BHPian

Hot hatch vs quick sedan vs Jeep vs SUV < 20 lakh rupees

Hi all,

I am starting this thread not because I will go for immediate purchase (Covid19 changed my financial plans), but to be ready with inputs as many of us would be having this tough question ahead.

Currently I have a GT TSI which is completing 5 years soon. Except for the VW bad service, this car is good and I am ready to keep it for my city runs till it breaks down (which I don't think is so far away). I love trips in car and try to do a 700-900 km single trip in every 3 months. Now with my new office around 250 kms away from home town, this extra 500 km run per month will also get added.

1. My first preference has always been to get a used GTI (comes for around 18 lacs), that has been a dream for most of us, but then having 2 similar looking vehicles is not something which I can have. So if I sell my GT TSI, then I will be left with a single impractical car (I have a 5 year old kid, so our long drives will have 3 people in car). And after driving a GT TSI, I am not able to like any other hatch back.

2. Next option is to get a used Octavia 1.8 TSI, nothing to complain about this car and its a decent vehicle. Then I can sell my GT TSI and save some money with that. Hoping to get some split head lamp Octavia for around 18-19 lacs. (Don't want any other sedan as I have driven all sedans less than 30 lacs and liked only Octavia 1.8 TSI).

3. Next option is something which has taken our market by storm, ie to get an SUV. I don't much prefer the looks of sedan and love hatchback design. Plus SUV styling is also something which I like. Love THAR design very much, but since my requirement is a highway muncher, I don't think I can live with the poor driving dynamics of the same, after reading the review in team-bhp. So THAR will most probably get struck out after test drive.

4. Didn't like MG Hector dynamics, don't want an underpowered Duster. (For those driving in Kerala would know that we need quick acceleration to overtake safely in 2 land highways and I need brisk acceleration and dynamics, and I do not need a high top end speed as we wont be able to do higher speeds in Kerala roads. Quick Acceleration between 0 and 100 kmph is what I need. No current bulky looking XUV500. If I think about Tata Harrier, then I will take Octavia, as Harrier just has a slightly better ground clearance and no 4x4. I like Seltos, but not sure to spend 21 lacs vs used Octavia.

5. Used endeavour 3.2 litre - Many reviews suggest it has got a decent highway stability plus nice power and has everything including 4x4 (why to miss out on features). But in Kerala decently used 4x4 3.2L (I don't want a car driven beyond 50k) is charging 25 lac to 30 lac plus; which is beyond the budget.

6. All Santa-fe getting listed is old and its interiors are really old. Pajero sport decent ones with <50k odo is asking for 18-20 lacs (Have never driven it), and its a discontinued model. Tucson used ones are expensive.

7. Jeep compass 4x4 auto is new and no used cars available. New ones easily cross 27-28 lacs on road.

All these factors had made me lean towards 3 options only . Used GTI, Used Octavia and test drive THAR and if THAR is really bad, wait for new XUV 500 or any new vehicles to be launched.

I have reached 35 and heart says to buy a fast car (GTI or Octavia) as not sure about the preferences after reaching 40 years old, but brain says to take a highway muncher SUV to travel. When I think about my last 5 years of trips& travels, all the forest resorts/home stays I have stayed had decent roads which can be run using any hatch/sedan and do not need any high ground clearance SUV. So SUV may be more required to tackle the city potholes rather than being used in highway? But if I buy an SUV, I need 4x4 as who knows, may be I will start liking off-roading also and don't want to repent after the purchase. All these questions have made my purchase a very complicated one, and not sure to take which path. And to make things worse, I moved from a private job to govt job recently (means lower salary). So I need to be double sure before doing any investment.

Any input from fellow bhpians would be really useful.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 27th September 2020 at 03:14. Reason: Typos. Thanks
petrol_power is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:05   #2
BHPian

re: Hot hatch vs quick sedan vs Jeep vs SUV < 20 lakh rupees

Thar should be out of list. Intial reviews suggest bouncy ride quality even though better than the prev gen. Coming to other options, basically for highways and long tours you need power, stability , nvh control and safety. Harrier definitly fits the requirements. Quite an SUV, good highway manners and if looking for manual then xt+ is a terrific VFM money varient. Seltos anyday over creta, just feels wee bit stable on highways than creta. About sedans, yes other than Octavia nothing exciting in this segment but then I just feel that for highways SUVs are a better fit. Hope Tata sorts out last of those pending niggles, just read about a clogged AC pipe in a brand new harrier. It should be between Seltos and Harrier, see what suits your more. Happy shopping
Hispaniola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:18   #3
BHPian

You've saved my efforts by putting in this brilliant post! I have been struggling to convince my heart not to look at Octavia's in the used car market because of the sheer horror stories of the owners. Heck, even the new rapid owner have faced the issues which can still make trusting Skoda dealers a tough task. Many examples of that in this forum.
I have been keeping a keen eye if there are any 2016/17 2.4L Honda CRV' s but not been able to spot any...
Shall be surely looking forward for inputs on this thread from others as I'm also looking for a good on performance Sedan/crossover in ~15L budget.
pineapple_ameet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:37   #4

FIRST.
I would strongly recommend waiting for the year end festivities and product introductions.

SECOND.
Among the shortlisted used car options, the Skoda Octavia, obviously. Please top it up with their extended warranty and service / maintenance packages. I would also suggest test driving the Volkswagen T ROC, if the Skoda Karoq seems a stretch.
akaushik.in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos HTK+ Diesel Automatic appears to fall in the center of all your requirements.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 15:10   #6
anb
BHPian

Since driving experience is your priority, I suggest extending the budget a little and getting the T-Roc assuming that the car is still available. It has got the best driving dynamics under 25 lakhs and a decent 1.5 tsi engine
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 02:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have reached 35 and heart says to buy a fast car
Here's what I'd do if I were you:
Buy an used S-Cross 1.6 for the highways if you can manage manual transmission and parking 2 cars. You'll be permanently

Save a big chunk of the $$$ for the next big upgrade.

The way I see it, you want a new car and your budget is around 20 lakh(give or take.) Your requirements are:
1. Space for 3-4 pax in decent comfort
2. AT is a must
3. Extra GC is a nice to have
4. Petrol or diesel is okay

I think you've listed the Octavia as your top choice - and I think it should be. There's no way you can compare Seltos/Thar to the Octavia. If you feel confident about handling Skoda service or can get a reliable FNG and will be okay with a little downtime, the Octavia seems to make perfect sense for your requirements. If you're willing to wait, pray that the new Tucson is launched soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
4. Didnt like MG Hector dynamics, dont want an underpowered Duster...... If I think about Tata Hector, then I will take Octavia, as Hector just has a slightly better ground clearance and no 4x4.
Not sure
Are you referring to the Tata Harrier/Hexa?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 27th September 2020 at 02:24.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 05:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jeep compass.. 27-28 lacs on road.

heart says to buy a ..GTI or Octavia..

brain says to take a highway muncher SUV

But if I buy an SUV, I need 4x4...and don't want to repent.
If you buy an SUV you will repent not having bought a 4X4.

If you buy 4X4 you will repent not having bought a GTI or Octavia.

If you buy GTI or Octavia you will repent not having bought a SUV.

Any car you buy will make you repent as per your your current preference.

The issue here is not with the cars but with your confused decision frame which you need to resolve before buying a car.

Used Jeep Compass's are available from 14 lakhs onwards - fast car, great highway cruiser and can handle off road duties to some extent.
AMG Power is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 07:10   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hot hatch vs quick sedan vs Jeep vs SUV < 20 lakh rupees

Quote:
Currently I have a GT TSI which is completing 5 years soon. Except for the VW bad service, this car is good and I am ready to keep it for my city runs till it breaks down (which I don't think is so far away).
I think you should hold onto your GT TSI for another couple of years, invest the money you'd otherwise spend upgrading and buy a better 30-lakh car in 2022, 2023 or 2024. Please do read up the economics of keeping or selling your 5-year old car in this article (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?).

Quote:
don't want an underpowered Duster. (For those driving in Kerala would know that we need quick acceleration to overtake safely in 2 land highways and I need brisk acceleration and dynamics, and I do not need a high top end speed as we wont be able to do higher speeds in Kerala roads.
If you like the Duster, test-drive the 1.3L Turbo. It f-l-i-e-s on the open road and the mid-range packs a mighty punch. 154 BHP, after all.

Quote:
I have reached 35 and heart says to buy a fast car (GTI or Octavia) as not sure about the preferences after reaching 40 years old
Not much changes after 40 . You just get wiser!

Other cars you should check out are the Seltos / Creta turbo petrols which are fast and have sorted high speed manners. Of course, the Octavia 1.8 remains an excellent all-rounder.

But really, don't waste money by selling your car when it's merely 5 years old.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 20:24   #10
BHPian

You can get brand new Harrier xz, for ~20L. Do a TD before you rule out for any reason
Old 4th October 2020, 10:25   #11
BHPian

First thing came to my mind after reading your requirements is The new Duster 1.3 turbo.
As per Team-bhp review, it's quiet powerful, packs a punch.
Got quick acceleration with punchy midrange. Albeit dated interiors.

Duster will be right sized SUV for Kerala roads.
Apart from the duster, I suggest you to hunt for Octavia 1.8
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 10:36   #12
BHPian

5 years is too young for a VW. I've faced personal horrors and I still stand by them. The driving experience, comfort levels, build quality, everything is spot on. Kerala I lived in had excellent roads too although that's been over 12 years now. So no reason for you to let go of your VW. Stretch it till 7-9 years and then pick up a used car. My recommendation: even then don't stretch beyond 15-20L. Buy a good under warranty / extendable warranty Octavia, or even the Superb (their used values are ridiculously close), budget 2-3 L for maintenance /upgrades. And wrap it in 20.

What waiting for another 3-4 years opens up also is an opportunity to see how the electric car scene develops in India. Kerala and Delhi in particular are investing heavily in infra. I know it's a long shot, but hey, the Atal tunnel just opened up yesterday. Who'd have imagined that happening in India a few years back.

In the current lot I can think of only the Octavia to be a worthy contender.
Annibaddh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 12:49   #13
BHPian

From what you have listed, I really think you should check out the Creta/Seltos twins in their 1.4L turbo petrol avatar. They're very solid all rounders with the added advantage of ease of maintenance. We can never be too sure of the road conditions in our state as 'floods' are officially a new season now. The extra ground clearance really matters. Personally, if I were to pick between the 2, would go for the Creta DCT just for them paddle shifters mated to the sweet engine.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Currently I have a GT TSI which is completing 5 years soon. Except for the VW bad service, this car is good and I am ready to keep it for my city runs till it breaks down (which I don't think is so far away). I love trips in car and try to do a 700-900 km single trip in every 3 months. Now with my new office around 250 kms away from home town, this extra 500 km run per month will also get added.
Any input from fellow bhpians would be really useful.
Kerala has a mixed of highways (with 2 lane or 4 ways with high traffic) and hilly region (not exactly one may need 4x4 until you have farm house in the interior of places like Munnar or Idukki with broken roads that requires an off road vehicle to reach). So there is no point taking a 4x4 compromising on mileage forever.

Considering these facts, you can consider Duster 1.3 Turbo ( having a butch look ) or its sibling Kick 1.3 Turbo ( modern cloths with better interior and features ) both having a powerful engine (154 bhp, 254 Nm of Torque) offering sprinted drive on highways and superb ghat road capabilities. The other choice would be an used Jeep compass which is also a capable highway sprinter and capable ghat road car

Last edited by Aditya : 5th October 2020 at 06:49. Reason: Typo, bold fonts updated, and trimmed the quoted part for better readability. Thank you!
Old 4th October 2020, 13:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But really, don't waste money by selling your car when it's merely 5 years old.
+1

But, if you will still want to go ahead and spend your hard earned 20L on a car, why not consider buying a used 3 series (F30) or 5 series (F10) for around 15L and set aside 5L for the maintenance (expected or unexpected) coming up. BMW's are well engineered cars, very reliable if you don't skimp on maintenance and a lot more fun to drive than the FWD cars you mentioned.

Since you are from Kerela, I suppose you will encounter quite some nice curved roads all around which adds to the fun quotient of a BMW. IMHO, crossovers/want-to-be SUVs are not fun to drive, inherently due to their Higher CoG which causes a lot of body roll during corners. But also thinking about all those potholed roads caused by almost incessant rains (Love the weather in Kerala ), a crossover might be a practical and comfortable option too, if live close to such roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks