Tata Altroz XT iTurbo 29 11.20%
XUV 300 W4 petrol 16 6.18%
Any worthy alternative (kindly mention why) 12 4.63%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 13:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Need a fun-to-drive all rounder for 10 lakhs

Any reasons for not considering Ford Ecosport? The diesel base variant is fun to drive, high GC, comes with all the bells and whistles and priced around 10 lakhs OTR.
dicor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

The TSI engine is in a league of its own. The Rapid and Vento are fantastic options with this engine and truly VFM. But, them being very old will bother no doubt.

I had booked the Rapid back in June 2020 but had to postpone due to a personal accident. Now, I am ready to buy but unable to convince myself to buy the Rapid knowing there are new cars coming in from Skoda this year.

So, I have decided to hold on till the Kushaq comes in. The initial reviews are already saying that it's a fun car.

If it's not urgent then you may also consider waiting for it. It may not be 10L OTR, though.
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Rapid. Yes, the Vento also should be considered IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
But if we take the car as whole, it is quite old now. If he's going for a pre-worshiped route then it should be either VAG cousins. But for a brand new car costing a million OTR and a longer ownership perspective my choice will be iturbo any day. Yes I am compromising a little fun here for a well rounded car ownership experience.
Cheers!
Truth is, the current 1 million OTR was the equivalent of 5 lakh OTR not many years ago. You could get a i10 for 5 lakhs in 2011. Today the top end Nios almost hits the million mark. I believe the new 'million rupee OTR segment' is the 20 lakhs segment if you like it or not.

The Rapid rider is truly VFM considering the absurd price rise, currency depreciation, stagnant income growth etc.

Last edited by Turbohead : 9th March 2021 at 13:28.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:29   #19
BHPian

Voted for Altroz i-turbo OR diesel.
  • Enough grunt
  • One of the best looking in segment
  • Spacious
  • Safe
  • Feature Loaded than an aging VW/Skoda
  • Will be fairly reliable and cheaper to maintain as you intend to keep it for 10 years
  • The latest of the lot!

Test drive the i-turbo and make a call.

Similarly, you can TD the Rapid Rider & Vento Turbo on the same day if you have those cars in mind. But in this day and age, I won't pick any of those when there are good all-rounders like i-turbo available as an option.

Last edited by kamilharis : 9th March 2021 at 13:56.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Within these options - I`ll go for the XUV3OO, the road presence is unlike any other sub4M vehicle, it looks big, its wide, spacious and drives like a creta \ seltos class vehicle than a sub4M.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:04   #21
BHPian

Voted for other. The other being the Figo 1.5 TDCi which I think deserves a place here. Its probably the only Diesel fun to drive hatch available in the market today. Yes, the Figo certainly needs a fresh lease of life, so is the case with the VW Polo and the Rapid. The Figo's 1.5 liter 99hp/215Nm 4 pot diesel engine is hard to be left out.
Pkumarblore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:05   #22
KPR
BANNED

Voted for Polo. In fact a Red polo anyday for me. You have a MPV for family and that is already big to park in congested Indian streets. Why not a small, powerful, well built and sporty car? Problem with Rider is that you miss that Monte Carlo Red or blue colour as choice, alloys, cruise control and premium features that polo may have at such 9L price. Have a look at both the cars and whichever your heart pulls buy it. You can simply neglect Nexon as the ride quality will never be anywhere near to Polo or Vento / Rider given high GC of nexon.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

The Rapid rider is truly VFM considering the absurd price rise, currency depreciation, stagnant income growth etc.
Ok. But I will never put my money on a decade old platform in 2021. I keep my cars for long time. Imagine keeping a decade old platform for another 15 years. If it's brand new then iTurbo for me else Rapid or Polo TSI as pre-worshipped.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:35   #24
BANNED

Should I make it very simple for you??!! What would you prefer, elope with your love or an arranged marriage with a stranger? Go for the one car which your heart lusts for. I own a 4th generation Honda City i-vtec (1 lakh kms covered) and Rapid Monte Carlo TSI (4000 kms). I eloped twice. You have got the reliability part covered with your BRV, now let's cover the fun to drive part. Want to hear something more?? My brother also went for Rapid Monte Carlo after test driving it, he was thinking of getting the new Honda City. Rapid is/would be my choice, but I won't say it should be yours, unless your heart says so.

Yes, you would have to answer other people about the lack of sunroof, lack of features, old platform etc. but when you start driving, you will understand those were not the right questions. This may seem like a stupid suggestion for many, but I would say 'not all decisions in life are taken using a calculator'.
pavi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 16:15   #25
BHPian

Voted for the Rapid TSI Rider Variant.

Excellent package overall. VFM, especially the Rider variant and fun to drive car.
I myself took the plunge last year in July and got home a Rapid Rider TSI after driving the Polo 1.2 MPI for almost a decade. Trust me, the familiarity of the interiors (b/w. Polo and Rapid) doesn't bother me. The exceptional build-quality and the excellent 1.0TSI engine makes up for everything else, despite a 'decade old platform'.
I doubt if any other car (barring the VAG twins) in this price bracket can match up the fun/VFM factor.

If you have a Skoda ASS nearby, go for the Rapid TSI eyes-closed. Under Zac's leadership, the after-sales is improving by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by sanyog26 : 9th March 2021 at 16:21. Reason: Typo
sanyog26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 17:12   #26
BHPian

What about grand i10 turbo, sub 10 seconds 0-100, better space and after sales than polo, better performance than tata altroz.
Since you already have BR-V for family use, going for a sedan doesn't make much sense since you won't be needing the bigger boot.
The sports variant is already loaded with decent features, slap on some fatter 195 tyres and the car is quite enjoyable in its stock form.
Stranger17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 17:36   #27
BHPian

The Altroz turbo looks costlier in front of new VW turbo variants. The performance is also below par in comparison to direct injection turbo engines. Looks are however smashing.

From a practicality perspective Polo suffers from low interior space. Even though Rapid/Vento make a better choice, the 4.4m length is prohibitive in city parking during multi hop trips. Another aspect I see is the lower seating positing making ingress a tad difficult.

Hence my choice is XUV300 due to a torquey engine and spacious cabin in a 4m CSUV. The VW vs XUV is a heart vs head conundrum.
anthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 19:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Buy the one that makes you smile more during the TD.
Honestly I'm already sold on the 1.0TSI. Test drove the Polo and before I knew it the car was doing 90kmph. To be sure I tried the same thing 3 times, and again it crossed 90 with no effort! The mid range is truly addictive & effortless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
If you want to take a look at CSUVs, the Nexon XZ is a good buy. Even the Magnite Turbo makes good sense
Both are excellent cars, but I simply couldn't "connect" with them. I didn't find the Nexon 1.2 engine fun, and the Magnite steering is really lifeless else the Magnite was almost perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
For family trips you have a good option in BRV.
True, but my dad who uses the Brv stays in a different city, so whatever I buy will become my primary & only car, hence the space constraints of the Polo are pushing me towards the Rapid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
None of the above Go for Vento Turbo edition @8.65 L. This edition is much better choice than Rapid base variants.
Excellent point! In the long run this will be a better buy. I'm looking at the Vento also now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi, you may take a look at Nissan Magnite or Renault Kiger
Thanks for your suggestion, but I've excluded them because of steering feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My money is with Tata Altroz XT iTurbo. You are buying a car in 2021. Buy the latest and safest car.
I can understand what you're trying to convey & you're right. Will test drive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That engine is the definition of fun-to-drive. In a Polo / Vento / Rapid, it also has the chassis to match.
SPOT ON!
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RSEPOWER View Post
Hyundai Aura
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not looking at Maruti or Hyundai due to multiple reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem View Post
Altroz is good, but not when you have Rapid on the list
true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
stretch it a wee little bit and get the Ambition or the Onyx, its worth it.you can check the Vento Tsi
Again great point! And I will try to stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuy View Post
Wow! This is such a lovely package and I am surprised Vento isn't the shopping list
Definitely looking at the Vento now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Out of the 4 options listed and given your requirements I would say go for either Vento or Rapid. I will be posting a detailed ownership experience shortly.
Eagerly waiting for your experience
John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 19:38   #29
BHPian

Despite the overwhelming majority favouring the 1.0 L TSI twins, I am somehow not convinced about their reliability, they being small engines with turbo-chargers.

In fact, I have the same opinion about the 1.2 L Turbo engine (Altroz I-turbo) as well...but if I have to choose among these options, bigger the better.

Voted for Altroz for this reason.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 22:53   #30
BHPian

If you are open to consider Vento Turbo edition and Rapid Ambition/Onyx, why have you not taken a look at Honda City? That's the perfect family car IMO, and also fun to drive.

It ticks all your boxes to the T and since you are not a fan of features, you can get the lower variants, which are relatively VFM, and closer to your budget.

I think the Rapid makes most sense only on the Rider form.
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks