Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 02:02   #1
BHPian

Fastest Hatchback under 7-lakhs?

I am looking to replace my Hyundai i10 (2011) with another car for short trips within city. The other car being a Hector CVT that is not suited for enthusiastic driving, i'm looking for the replacement hatchback to also serve those urges where you just want to push the pedal hard and whizz past everything.

Key factors in decision making:
1. Car will also be driven by wife who is a newbie and a very cautious driver. Safety & ease of handling take priority here (was even thinking of an automatic or iMT to make it easier for her)

2. It has to be fuel efficient... can't afford two gas guzzlers. Expecting 13-15kmpl on petrol is too much?

3. Can compromise on space, smaller the better. Easier to park and manoeuvre (and hopefully will also act as a deterrent from shopping a lot)

4. Average on gizmos unless they are driving aids.

So basically a no-nonsense, safe but giving pure driving pleasure (how much i miss a Punto equivalent). What do you folks recommend?
Totoro11 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 10:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fastest Hatchback under 7-lakhs?

Since you want speed and aren't big on space or gizmos, there is just one answer = VW Polo 1.0 TSI. You will have to extend your budget by about a lakh odd for the base variant, but trust me, it'll be the best extra money you spend. That 1.xx lakh more will give you DOUBLE the driving pleasure of any other hatchback. Be sure to read our review (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review).

Importantly, it is among the safer hatchbacks on our roads too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
Car will also be driven by wife who is a newbie and a very cautious driver. Safety & ease of handling take priority here (was even thinking of an automatic or iMT to make it easier for her)
Added bonus = women generally like the Polo's styling and the VW brand.

If the running is a lot and you want an AT, you could consider the AMTs (Ignis is fun, Hyundai AMTs are far smoother) or Magnite / Kiger CVT. None of these will satisfy your need for speed though. Extend your budget and you could get a Polo TSI AT. I keep coming back to it because the engine is THAT GOOD.
GTO is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to replace my Hyundai i10 (2011) with another car for short trips within city. The other car being a Hector CVT that is not suited for enthusiastic driving, i'm looking for the replacement hatchback to also serve those urges where you just want to push the pedal hard and whizz past everything.

1. Car will also be driven by wife who is a newbie and a very cautious driver. Safety & ease of handling take priority here (was even thinking of an automatic or iMT to make it easier for her)

2. It has to be fuel efficient... can't afford two gas guzzlers. Expecting 13-15kmpl on petrol is too much?

3. Can compromise on space, smaller the better. Easier to park and manoeuvre (and hopefully will also act as a deterrent from shopping a lot)

So basically a no-nonsense, safe but giving pure driving pleasure (how much i miss a Punto equivalent). What do you folks recommend?
Your options are limited VW Polo, Ford Figo (go for TDCi if opting for Figo) and Tiago.
Except Tiago, you will have to stretch a bit for the other two options.
If you are ok with diesel, recommend Figo. It has a sweet TDCI engine which is powerful and offers excellent FE as well, reasonably well built and offers all the gizmos one might require. Maintenance is also very low and definitely cheaper than the Polo.
speedmiester is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 15:29   #4
BHPian

I'll say Ford Figo Diesel, brilliant engine and a very good handler. Engine is very efficient too. if you need decent power and very good handling then Tata Altroz iTurbo.
akshay380 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:05   #5
BHPian

Apart from Polo TSI, you can also look at Grand i10 Nios Turbo GDi (100bhp, 172nm torque). The car feels faster than Polo TSI and even Abarth from a standstill.

Pros:
-> Powerful turbo engine
-> Arai mileage of 20 KMPL
-> Hyundai's network
-> You are already familiar with Hyundai
-> Easy to maneuver and park.

Cons:
-> it's not a drivers car
-> Buildy quality and safety

You can read the detailed official review for more information:

(Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 1.0L Turbo Petrol : Official Review)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/227299-hyundai-grand-i10-nios-1-0l-turbo-petrol-official-review.html

Last edited by swoosh : 25th April 2021 at 16:08.
swoosh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 18:55   #6
BHPian

Old gen figo if available would have been the first choice. Now its VW Polo. Others are mass market and not the so fast type which you are expecting.
Old 25th April 2021, 19:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Only 1 car fits all the criteria's you've mentioned, i.e. the Polo TSI.

But if you want to explore other options, I'd suggest:

Altroz i-Turbo
Figo Petrol and Diesel both (Yes, I've included the Petrol engine too, it's a lot better than the other 3 cylinder options out there)

Then there are others which won't fare well in terms of safety, so no point mentioning them here.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 19:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are looking for a fast , fun to drive , practical and very fuel efficient hatch in that budget - the answer is Swift, it has been that way for a very long time
Kosfactor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 20:59   #9
BHPian

Your post has Polo TSI written all over it. Although do note that it feels bigger to drive than the size suggests.

If you are looking for outright performance and good FE, Grand i10 Nios iTurbo is FAST. You are already familiar with Hyundai and it is easy to drive. It is no handler though.
hridaygandhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 09:45   #10
BHPian

We are in the same soup! I already have a Ciaz (Alpha-Petrol) and we are now looking for a decent hatchback (Automatic) for city use. We are stretching a bit to 8,10,000 from 6L(original budget) for the i10 Nios.

Any other options available in this space? VW Polo is too tempting, but the automatic issues and high maintenance are something we want to keep away with, especially after this car would be strictly driven by wife for her office and city runs.
Old 26th April 2021, 13:12   #11
BHPian

Thanks for your responses. After reading your recommendations and Polo review, I'm definitely going for a TD as soon as covid situation improves. However, one worry i have is on the long term commitment of VW for India (and to some extent Ford). They both seem to be making only half-hearted attempts to survive & thrive.

Are you seeing a drop in service levels?
Old 26th April 2021, 13:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Polo AT. Am driving a Rapid TSi AT for the last 6 months, and its super fun.
Add to that, the AT is now a Torque Converter that too a Japanese one from Aisin. Expected to be reliable and not have issues like the DSG.

The experience till now with Skoda has been fantastic. And its not just me but a lot of people have the same thing to say. They have upped their game. Not sure about VW though even though they are from the same brand. With them introducing more cars into the market, I don't think they intend to wrap up anytime soon.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 17:58   #13
AZT
BHPian

Check if any used Tiago or Tigor JTP are available used. Should fit in your budget and be fun to drive. Bonus points for being a safe car.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 20:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
However, one worry i have is on the long term commitment of VW for India (and to some extent Ford). They both seem to be making only half-hearted attempts to survive & thrive.

Are you seeing a drop in service levels?
I would be more worried about Ford and Honda than VW now.

VW is really serious about their SUVW program in India and seems to have learnt the way forward from the Koreans. They are planning to go all-in with the Taigun, T-Roc, Tiguan 5 Seater and Tiguan All Space capturing the 10-35L territory. This is a super aggressive move to survive and gain share in my opinion
sid_deb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 21:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Check if any used Tiago or Tigor JTP are available used. Should fit in your budget and be fun to drive. Bonus points for being a safe car.
Did exactly this! And I am super happy with my decision
Though, JTPs are very hard to come by in the used car market and if available, the prices quoted are ridiculous.

Good luck
cool_chelly is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks