Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 13:18   #1
BHPian

10-lakh rupee replacement for my Maruti Ertiga

Hey Folks, Hoping everyone is safe and well. I am seeking help from the experts, because me being the noob that I am have burnt a lot of midnight oil in last one week on team BHP and other websites but the more I read the more I am lost in the sea of information that is out there. So here is my predicament.

I used Swift Dzire Diesel from 2009 to 2016 and that is when I came to this amazing forum. For those who are interested, my travelogue from Mumbai to Punjab back then created a lot of noise because I mentioned I drove in the opposite lane on the infamous Bharuch section since I was running out of milk for my 3 month old. Needless to say, the keyboard warriors had a gala time at my expense.

Anyway, I digress. back to the story, I enjoyed the Dzire thoroughly and did a lot of Mumbai Punjab and Nasik/Shirdi/Pune drives. in 2016, I exchanged the Dzire for a Petrol/CNG Ertiga at Sai Service Borivali and it was a certainly a welcome change. Although I did fewer long distance trips in it, I have thoroughly enjoyed the Ertiga for its drivability and space and fuel efficiency.

Fast forward to year 2021, I have owned the Ertiga for almost 5 years. The organization I work with has a company lease policy. I can choose a vehicle that the company vendor will procure for me. I made some down payment and the EMIs I pay become a non taxable part of my compensation. However, the condition is that the ex showroom price of the vehicle should be less than 10 lakhs.

I would really like a 7 seater car since we are a family of 5, one child and one baby on the way for the other couple. However, it doesn't look like I have much of a choice. XUV and Scorpio clearly not an option. So seeking opinions from the experts here. Below are my requirements.

1. Space - 5+2 preferred
2. Fuel efficiency _ i do a lot of long distance driving
3. Strong Engine performance - for the reason listed above
4. Maintenance ? I am scared to step outside the Maruti comfort zone. But we will see.

Here is the summary of my choices and eliminations:-

1. I would have loved to go for MG Hector/Hexa but its outside the budget and a little too much risk for me.
2. Nissan has some options (Magnite,Kicks etc), but the reviews about weak engine performance put me off.
3. TUV 300 is far too stiff and unrefined for my likings. I test drove the vehicle when I was replacing the Dzire but the experience wasn't great. Especially the 3rd row bench like appeal was way too off putting for me.

Here is what I can choose from, I guess, but you guys know better

1. Kia Seltos/Sonnet - Low end variants. However, I might end up not getting the features these cars are actually marketed for.
2. Creta E - same as above. I will get a bare boned version
3. Brezza - well established but a little too vanilla for me.
4. Renault Duster/Triber?? totally an unfamiliar terrain for me
5. XUV 300 - seems powerful and feature packed. however, way too compact.
6. Scross - Again doesn't seem the best package

I really really dont like Ecosport or the Nexon. Please help me out and put all those hours of Team BHP browsing to good use!!

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2021 at 22:53. Reason: DP - down payment
womanonwheels is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:37   #2
BHPian

re: 10-lakh rupee replacement for my Maruti Ertiga

Since you are really happy with Maruti and Ertiga, why not go for an Ertiga/XL6 again? The current model is an upgrade from your 2015 Ertiga on a lot of aspects. Anything else you choose, Brezza/Magnite will seem like a downgrade after owning Ertiga, especially space-wise. The only other car I which is big on space and fills your requirements is S-Cross.
hridaygandhi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:43   #3
BHPian

Only one choice for you (under 10L Ex.showroom) - Ertiga/XL6.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:54   #4
BHPian

From your list, I have voted for "S-Cross" but I would also recommend you to consider XL6 and the new Ertiga. 5+2 including a baby and another on the way means you need space. The new Ertiga fits the bill perfectly - it has a powerful 1.5L engine compared to the 2015 model and has better interiors too. The middle row of Ertiga gives you seat configuration options as compared to XL6, so that would be my choice.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 5th May 2021 at 15:54. Reason: Grammatical correction
sam264_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 16:07   #5
BHPian

I would suggest you to stretch a bit more and get the Marazzo

Your requirements :

1. Space - 5+2 preferred - Check
2. Fuel efficiency _ i do a lot of long distance driving - Check
3. Strong Engine performance - for the reason listed above - Should we manageable
4. Maintenance ? I am scared to step outside the Maruti comfort zone. But we will see - Check

What you get extra :

Safety - 4 star rated
For those long drives - Diesel
Sk8r is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

You should go with Ertiga, the new Petrol motor is good and can be efficient too. New gen has plenty of space too! If you are tired with Ertiga, go with Triber, has good space inside for a small car and is comfortable for 4 adults plus 2 kids. The biggest downside however is the engine, 1.0L NA lacks punch and is known to struggle when loaded. If you can wait, a Turbo variant should be launched soon.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 16:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
I would really like a 7 seater car since we are a family of 5, one child and one baby on the way for the other couple. However, it doesn't look like I have much of a choice. XUV and Scorpio clearly not an option. So seeking opinions from the experts here. Below are my requirements.

1. Space - 5+2 preferred
2. Fuel efficiency _ i do a lot of long distance driving
3. Strong Engine performance - for the reason listed above
4. Maintenance ? I am scared to step outside the Maruti comfort zone. But we will see.

4. Renault Duster/Triber?? totally an unfamiliar terrain for me
For your preferences, I would really recommend a Triber in MT or AMT, whatever suits you. I use it in the hills of Manali, and have faced no problems. You can check my ownership review here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...tric-blue.html (Ownership Review of my Renault Triber RXZ (Electric Blue))

I have successfully and tirelessly done Manali-New Delhi, Manali-Dehradun and Manali-Ludhiana drives, and the car has always been trustworthy and trouble free. Planning a Manali - Kalimpong drive later this year, once the Corona situation improves. And also, a Manali - Leh drive later this year with a few friends.

Service costs are more or less equal to my Dad's Petrol Maruti Suzuki Baleno Delta. Lot's of interior space and you won't miss your Ertiga much, except for flat folding middle row seats.

Wishing you all the very best for your decision and many safe miles with the little one, we ourselves are parents to a 4 years old son, and he loves travelling in the Triber in his car seat with an AC Vent pushing cold air on his face with the pillar mounted AC Vents for the 2nd row window seats.

Why not go with the new gen Ertiga again? It'll fit your budget, and XL6 as far as I know starts above 10 Lakhs. So, Ertiga or Triber, both would be good choices with lot of practicality and space.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th May 2021 at 14:42. Reason: Removed references that can be viewed as YouTube channel promotion. Thank you!
AdityaDeane is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 16:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If you need a 7 seater in the long run, the only car that meets your criteria is the new Ertiga.

All the other options listed are 5 seaters. Keeping in mind the need for some basic features + space, I would recommend looking at some sedans such as the Ciaz, previous gen City, and would also put the S Cross right up there as compared to a similarly loaded but smaller Venue / Sonet; barebones Creta where you would have to spend on accessories.
lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 08:17   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 10-lakh rupee replacement for my Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Fast forward to year 2021, I have owned the Ertiga for almost 5 years. The organization I work with has a company lease policy. I can choose a vehicle that the company vendor will procure for me. I pay some DP and the EMIs I pay become a non taxable part of my compensation.
Couple of thoughts:

1. You are selling your 5-year old Ertiga too early - more information (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?).

2. The new Ertiga / XL6 are a BIG step up from the 1st-gen car. It's better in every way. If you have absolutely made up your mind on upgrading, keep this as the top choice.

3. Sk8r makes an excellent suggestion. The Marazzo flopped, but it is a brilliant MPV. Superior to the Ertiga / XL6 too and big discounts on the car are available (typical of all flops). The MPV drives like a car and has excellent road manners. See Aditya, Vid6639 and my posts on the Marazzo review thread and you'll see we are all big fans of this car. Take a test-drive, then decide between this and the Ertiga / XL6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If you are tired with Ertiga, go with Triber
While the Triber is an extremely intelligent VFM car, it is from a full segment lower than the cars being considered here. I would consider it to be a massive downgrade. Furthermore, that 1.0 NA engine is weak, boring & characterless.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 09:30   #10
KPR
BANNED

5+2 preference, comfort zone of Maruti means the answer is XL6. Enjoy captain seats for a change over Ertiga. If you're open for a 5 seater option then consider S Cross. The car has excellent highway manners in European way.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 11:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would definitely recommend the Triber. Looks compact, gets the job done and there are some dual tone options available now I guess. I have also read the ownership review of one gentleman here, looks like it's a perfect package given your requirements.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 14:59   #12
BHPian

Your criteria has the New Ertiga/XL6 written all over. You can consider the Venue/i20 S DCT or the Skoda Rapid if 5 seaters are being considered.
Pashin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 08:56   #13
BHPian

Selling a 5-year-old car does not make sense but since your company is helping with the payment, I am assuming that you are not being hit with a lot of depreciation.

With your specific conditions, it seems like buying the new Ertiga/XL6 is your only option.

If you can slightly stretch your budget, the Marazzo is a good overall package. One unique thing about the Marazzo is that it is a body-on-frame car with a front-wheel-drive setup. It means it is rugged as well as spacious inside, especially for the second and third row.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 10:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If you are tired with Ertiga, go with Triber, has good space inside for a small car and is comfortable for 4 adults plus 2 kids. The biggest downside however is the engine, 1.0L NA lacks punch and is known to struggle when loaded. If you can wait, a Turbo variant should be launched soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Couple of thoughts:
While the Triber is an extremely intelligent VFM car, it is from a full segment lower than the cars being considered here. I would consider it to be a massive downgrade. Furthermore, that 1.0 NA engine is weak, boring & characterless.
My friend's dad has a Triber (first car to be delivered in Palakkad, Kerala) which he bought after giving his Logan (Diesel) to his son (my friend). Its been more than two years and he regrets buying the Triber for the simple reason, its underpowered. He finds his 14 year old, 1.0 lac km done Logan better than the Triber. I shrug to imagine the performance when the car is occupied to its full capacity. Even with 5 people on board, he has to switch OFF the AC if he has to overtake or climb a flyover.
PS- I had recommended a Diesel Ertiga or the xl6 but he chose the Triber over it.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 7th May 2021 at 10:14.
rakesh_r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 10:49   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Please help me out and put all those hours of Team BHP browsing to good use!!
XL6 or marazzo (stretch budget a bit).
There are no other choices that fit your requirement
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks