Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 23:01   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fastest pre-owned car under 7 lakhs?

Please don’t run after high performance vehicles at 18, I am 20 and I am still understanding the responsibility of driving out on the road. The more the power greater the responsibility. I am still honing in my skills out on the road, there is a massive difference between a 100 bhp car and a 150+ bhp car! I am speaking out of experience, neither my parents allow me near our Fortuner (171bhp) nor do I insist let alone the craving, because of such kind of power on tap, if god forbid something goes wrong you and your parents both will have to face severe consequences. You may be confident but trust me it takes several years to actually become an experienced driver.

Let better sense prevail and go for either of these cars
- Ford Figo/Freestyle 1.5L TDCi
- VW Polo/Vento 1.0L TSI
- Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSi
- Used VW Polo/Vento 1.2L TSI/1.6L TDi
- Used S-Cross 1.6L
- Used Honda Brio
- Used Honda City 1.5L I-Vtec

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 20th May 2021 at 23:05.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 23:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Cars I would consider buying used if I were you:
VW Polo GT TSI or TDI
Honda Civic 8th-gen. Good ones available for 2.xx lakhs
Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi
Tata Tiago JTP
Abarth Punto
Etios 1.5L. Outdated and ugly, but lovely engine + balanced behaviour
I would like to add the Ford Fiesta 1.6 S or TDCI to the list. It's cheaper to maintain and parts are still available, one of the best driver's car our country has seen this side of 10 lakhs. Just the perfect bet keeping in mind the fun to drive element. A properly remapped one can take the game to next level too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 20th May 2021 at 23:14.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 23:30   #48
BHPian

Hi. Was going through your thread and found really interesting the choices that you have shortlisted.

My one question is if you're looking to go up to 7 Lakhs, why don't you consider a new ride from the Suzuki stable such as the Swift Vxi or the Ignis Zeta. They are peppy cars with the Ignis having a stiff suspension that gives you enough stability and fun to push around the corners. You can also get a used feature-loaded top model.

The Civic 1.8 and the Accord 2.4 are also good options.
Personally would love to go with the Abarth Punto, if you get a good one or as many others on this thread recommended the Polo TSI.
Old 20th May 2021, 23:42   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSen2015 View Post
Hi. Was going through your thread and found really interesting the choices that you have shortlisted.

My one question is if you're looking to go up to 7 Lakhs, why don't you consider a new ride from the Suzuki stable such as the Swift Vxi or the Ignis Zeta.
I am not considering a new car because I don't need the bells and whistles such as extended warranty, I partly want the car as a project car that I can learn from.

After the overwhelming responses, I am considering either just getting a Civic and possibly turbo-charging it using spares from a Laura TDI (fun project, turbo-charging for extremely cheap, a friend said it might be possible) or perhaps a Lancer with a Evo kit or MIVEC engine, but I'm not sure where I'll get a MIVEC engine and how much it'll cost.

As for the used German cars like the BMW 325i, I am still interested in them but perhaps I should stay away from them as of now as I am not knowledgeable about engines. After modding a Civic, I might be more confident to get one.

Also, for all the people that think I'm doing this to flex, I get where you're coming from but I just enjoy driving fast, to be honest I don't care much about how the car looks either. Drifting seems fun too, and I might mod my future car to have a slip differential.
Kami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 01:48   #50

I too am looking for my first car, my budget is also pretty close to yours (7-8 lakhs). I have a few more years of experience though, I have been driving for around 3 years now (have made multiple 500+ KM trips).

I have been driving my parents' 2014 Honda City i-VTEC for a while now and although I love that car, I want something more powerful and fun.

Cars I looked at were mainly
325i, saw a few 2007-2008 examples going for around 4.5-8

530i, saw a few 2007-2009 examples for around 5.5-6.5 Naturally Aspirated 3L straight six would be a dream come true and from what I have heard N52 is a pretty reliable engine.

C220/C250 CDI, C200CGI again saw a few examples in my price range.

From what I read, the maintenance for all the above cars will be too expensive (for me). I'd really appreciate it if I could get some more inputs on this though.

Also saw 2000-2001 Lexus GS300 for around 6.5 only saw pictures, but the car looked well maintained and not very high on Kilometres. But I thought getting parts might be really difficult.

So I have been looking at a few other cars now,

Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi, the day I drove a Figo, I fell in love with it and it was a horribly maintained rental but I still had a smile plastered across my face.

Ford Fiesta 1.6S, if I could find a clean example. I love the way it looks and I have heard it handles really well.

Abarth Punto, I couldn't find any clean cars from my limited research.

Any inputs about the cars would really help me, especially procuring parts for older cars like the GS300.
KadduRS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 05:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami View Post
Also, for all the people that think I'm doing this to flex, I get where you're coming from but I just enjoy driving fast, to be honest I don't care much about how the car looks either. Drifting seems fun too, and I might mod my future car to have a slip differential.
If you are interested in drifting and all,

1. Buy an old and mod friendly car with simple mechanicals. M800 or the old Esteem are excellent choices for this with mods. See https://m.facebook.com/madrasmotorsp...78614452204504

2. Rent time on a track, don’t try this on a public road even if it looks fully empty

3. Get into all this (and driving fast) only after you have ten or fifteen thousand at a minimum km of driving experience in different conditions.

Last edited by hserus : 21st May 2021 at 05:22.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 07:42   #52
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

E90 330i/E60 530i/F10 523i/W212 E350 if you can pocket the maintenance. There's no going back from that. Plus you get RWD and HID headlights along with hydraulic steering and a smooth but responsive torque converter automatic. What's not to like (other than spare part cost and lead time)?

For those who are saying that 18 is too young to have a fast car, I learned driving in 2016, got my license in 2017 and got a used Skoda Superb in 2018 (with a total of 3 months of driving on an 800 and a Swift. I was 22 in 2016 with zero driving knowledge and experience) combined. The experience rule may apply to most in our country but let's allow Kami the benefit of doubt. He may feel at home with those big sedans or he may go for something smaller. My point is, try everything.

On the other hand, if diesel is not an issue, then E60 530d will make you grin ear-to-ear. What a machine.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 21st May 2021 at 07:44.
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully I can get some good suggestions, and this can serve as a resource to the people that are in the same boat as me.
You can also have a look at a preowned Chevy Cruze. You get a lot of car for your buck. Ample features, good road presence and enough power. The 2.0 L engine is good for 164 hp and a bogging 380nm of torque. As rightly put, it's a diesel rocket!

You can get good examples of 2013-17 models in your budget.

Cheers
Archie_27 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 10:29   #54
BHPian

See if you can get a Ford Figo AT (2018 + Model). Old style TC and 120+ BHP on a hatch is excellent combination.

And, servicing isn't very expensive.
Old 21st May 2021, 10:43   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
See if you can get a Ford Figo AT (2018 + Model). Old style TC and 120+ BHP on a hatch is excellent combination.

And, servicing isn't very expensive.
120+ BHP? Are you talking about the Ecosport turbo petrol?
Old 21st May 2021, 10:46   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
120+ BHP? Are you talking about the Ecosport turbo petrol?
Figo AT used to come with ES engine (1.5 L NA) and TC AT box.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (Ford Figo 1.5L Dragon AT - Ownership Review)

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 21st May 2021 at 10:47.
Old 21st May 2021, 11:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for my first used car that I can also use as a project car to learn more about engines.

I have recently learnt to drive as I have just turned 18, and I want a car that I goes really fast and I can possibly attempt to repair myself so I get a better understanding of it.

Preferably, I would like to buy a car under 5 lakhs. 7 lakhs is my maximum budget.
Form factor and mileage don't matter that much, provided they aren't terrible and cripple the car.
Your first car requirements are, it should be :
- Fun to drive
- Pocket friendly
- Mod friendly
- Less than 7,00,000/-

Since FE isn't a concern, you wish to learn more about engines and better your driving, a manual petrol car is the best option IMO.

I would recommend a Honda Brio manual. NA engines are super fun to drive!

Why?
- Looks good
- Compact, with decent legroom
- Very good aftermarket parts (aesthetic, performance) support
- Peppy and free reving engine. Doesn't feel strained at high RPMs and packs decent power too!
- Not so expensive and easy maintenance
- Good FE
- Manual will help you to improve your driving (engine braking, rev matching etc). It's more fun!
- Has airbags, ABS
- Has speed lock at 140 km/h
- A good, low run used example should be around 4-5,00,000/-

You could build the car step by step (exhuast, intake, remap, wheels, brakes, suspension), which would help you learn more about the engine and other upgrades as well. A good audio system will also add to the driving experience.

Down the line, a bolt-on turbo/supercharger and other supporting parts upgrade, upgraded internals on the existing L12 engine or a L15 swap can be considered as per your requirements.

Since you mentioned that you had just learnt to drive, it's the best to get more driving experience, get better at it and then move to more powerful cars.

Drive safe!

Last edited by grease.monkey : 21st May 2021 at 11:38.
grease.monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 11:19   #58

Chevrolet Cruze seems to be the perfect fit for you as a fast car - as regards to the mod potential, I will leave that to the experts.

For 7 big ones, you will be able to get a 2014-16 model with moderate mileage and reasonable condition - although sourcing spares is a sticky surface.

The decision must also rest on the length for which you wish to keep the car?

My 2nd recommendation would be Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia from 2007-2010 and under 70k kms on odo - a truly delightful car for the buck and huge mod potential from anecdotal evidence.

Cheers !
Old 21st May 2021, 11:44   #59
BHPian

Forgive me if I am missing something.
Turned 18
Recently learnt driving
BMW 750
Maximum budget 7 lacs

Something is not adding up. May not be a great idea to start learning in a 400 BHP rear wheel drive behemoth. Also. Even if you find a car in 7 lacs, the maintenance still will be of a 1 crore car. As long as you are ok with it it is fine

Last edited by rageshgr : 21st May 2021 at 11:50.
Old 21st May 2021, 11:51   #60
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, let me start by saying that I will not lecture you or tell you what you need to be doing at 18 because it is not my place to do so. The fact that you want to learn by getting your hands dirty is wholesome and heartwarming. May your tribe increase! However, I must tell you that it is easy to get carried away at your age while driving a fast car and I say this from a place of experience. Therefore, I trust you to exercise utmost caution and restraint while driving.

Secondly, welcome to the world of tuning and modifications. I have recently dipped my toes into it and have even occasionally gotten my hands dirty.

Cars to stay away from:

Now I would have normally suggested something like a Polo GT TSI, because I have owned one, and I have spent countless hours modifying it. But it did not take me long to realize that the 1.2 TSI is actually not the best engine to work on. Identifying its flaws initially was quite fun, and rectifying them was quite a thrill. But it has its limitations and is severely restricted in terms of potential. Even the handling, while neutral, is not 'engaging' as such. Therefore, I would avoid the GT 1.2 TSI Polo.

The previous generation Honda Civic is also a car I would avoid because it is not exactly mod-friendly as you may have been led to believe, unless you are considering a K-Series engine swap. The 1.8l NA engine does not receive extensive modifications well, and this has been documented by Nikhilb2008. I urge you to read that thread as it provides fantastic insights.

Stay away from the Tata JTP twins as they are plagued with serious (ECU related) issues that are potentially not-rectifiable. Such a crying shame because the factory package otherwise is beautiful.

Also, stay clear from the Mercs and BMWs for now. You may have the financial muscle to maintain these type of cars but it's not just about costs. Older Mercs and BMWs in your budget will only sit in workshops awaiting parts and you will not enjoy your car as much if it's collecting dust waiting for spares. Further, consider experiencing the joy of owning and driving a FWD car before you take to RWD cars. There is still plenty of time and FWD cars are a good stepping stone.

Cars to consider:

I would strongly urge you to consider the older Ford Figo or the older Ford Fiesta as these are absolutely fantastic drivers' cars. Although Fords do have their limitations too as their powertrains are not exactly easy to work on, they are by far the most fun to drive cars in this range. In fact, if you have a seriously strong appetite for a project car, why don't you consider buying an old Figo petrol and swapping out the engine and drivetrain with one from its sedan sibling, like a Fiesta 1.6 petrol? Nothing teaches you about engines like a good ol' engine swap. Again, you must have the appetite for it or such a project will destroy you.

The Mk-1 Octavia Rider / 2.0T vRS are great cars to learn from as well, and they are fantastic drivers' cars. But finding a clean one is extremely hard. So if you can't find one of those, I would suggest looking for a Laura 1.8 TSI. These cars have plenty of inherit issues that require skilled and experienced hands and the scope for learning is huge.

Alternatively, you could consider the Punto Abarth. There are a few used examples for sale I think. These 1.4 turbocharged engines and drivetrains are fun to work on and are factory-flawed enough to pique your interest. Do drive one though and see if it works for you, as it's not easy to get used to the awkward driving position.

Apart from the above options, there are the usual suspects like the old Baleno sedan, the old Esteem, old Honda City, Mitsubishi Lancers/Cedias and of course, the erstwhile jellybean Zen. These cars are tremendously easy to work on and won't break your bank like the VAG cars would.

Something to ponder about:

But before you embark on this project-car journey, the most important thing to do, and I cannot stress on this enough, is to find a competent mechanic/engineer who is willing to hand-hold you through your journey. There are several scam-artists out there who could very easily take you for a ride. Even though the tuning scene is still at its nascent stage in India, the dark underbelly of the tuning world very much exists and can easily destroy your enthusiasm and resolve. Therefore, it is extremely important to read as much as you can. Team BHP has a wealth of information in this regard and it will certainly help you make the right choices; but again, it is very important you read all the threads you can find before you make your decision. Feel free to seek clarifications or post your queries here, and don't hesitate to PM any of us if necessary.

I wish you all the very best with your journey and hope to see a fantastic thread on your project/build in the not-so-distant future.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st May 2021 at 12:04. Reason: typos
suhaas307 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks