Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2021, 09:05   #16
BHPian

re: Confusions of an NRI for car ownership in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
A friend of mine was in a similar situation but his requirement was a reasonably "highway safe" car. He bought an old Passat MT for a very low price and he is totally fine to write it off as and when the car gives up.

Of course, if your usage is just for city errands, you can get any Maruti small car and enjoy the low cost and hassle free ownership. For highway travel, make sure safety is your top most criteria.
Almost in the same boat! I needed a vehicle for highway as well as city usage. I did get an offer of a superbly maintained decade old Superb AT for about 4.5Lakhs. Didn't go for it due to it's DSG terror and lack of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
My suggestions would be
1. Sell the car after a few months (once lockdown ends)
2. Don't buy anything for immediate future
3. Keep that money in a 6% FD Account here in an Indian bank account (to avoid forex wastage)
4. Opt for a car subscription directly from Maruti Suzuki whenever you need it for a month or two.

6. Last point- if you have a own car parking, rent it out when you are not in India and earn another 15k for 10months, that can be used for your petty expenses when you visit here.

All the best.
You seem to have some serious knowledge in investments and returns! I was flattered by the advice of renting out a parking. Never thought of it in my wildest dreams. Anyways, Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
If I understand correctly, you purchased the car to utilise it during your visits to India. And it was known that you will stay only 2 months max during your visit.

So, suggest not to think about selling the car. During your next visit, you will definitely feel that vaccum and regret selling the car that is now serving your purpose.
Great point. I wonder why am I so worried about depreciation after a purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Why not CVTs ? They are well efficient in mileage and reliable. I am in your same shoes, as either me or my parents are abroad for most times of the year. However we get relatives to start the car and move it back and forth. This is the best option that anyone abroad can get.
The AT preference is purely based on driving pleasure. That's why skipping out on CVTs. Considered DQ200 for the 7 speeds it offers and therefore the better highway efficiency. I am afraid to admit but I may have to keep aside at least a lakh for uncertain times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Do keep in mind that by selling off the Vento, you will lose money in resale. However, like others have mentioned, it is not the ideal vehicle (a VW and a diesel) to leave stranded for extended period.

Is it possible that someone in your family or friends' circle could take care of your as their own? Them sing it regularly for those 10 months would be the ideal case so that the car remains in the best shape when you return to India. If not, then a basic maintenance once a month (20-30 km run, air pressure top-up and the likes) would help.
Yes. Selling off vento will warrant a loss of at least 1-1.5 lakh. If not selling, The only safe option would be to handover it's keys to someone trustworthy.

Last edited by 2TR-FE : 9th June 2021 at 09:16. Reason: Typo
2TR-FE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 10:17   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Confusions of an NRI for car ownership in India

Here's what I would do:

- For the short daily trips, I would Uber it around the city.

- If I need a car for a couple of hours, I would rent a chauffeur-driven car from Savaari & other similar services. Uber & Ola also offer multi-hour rentals which I have often used. Here, the car stays with you for a specified duration.

- For road-trip holidays or 4 - 5 days of self driving needs, I'd get a self-drive rental. Zoom might be junk now, but there are other superior services.

Parking a car for such long durations is just asking for trouble. Rodent damage, tyre flat-spotting, dead batteries, reliability issues....much like the human body, cars are also built to move. Not sit in one place.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 08:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
Hello Bhpians,

We are a family of five living in the Middle East since 20+ years. Our visits to India are usually twice a year ranging from 10 days to 2 months in each visit.

On an average, we can expect the vehicle to be used just for a month or two in a complete year and won't be touched otherwise.
1. Firstly, for your usage pattern, I don’t believe you should own a car in India at all. Use Uber etc for daily short trips and perhaps a used Honda Activa or similar for absolutely nearby single person movement. Scooters will survive low use more easily. Keeping an idle car for 10 months a year means the moment you arrive the first thing you must do is some basic maintenance whether reinstating battery or whatever. It’s just not worth it, specially when your trips can be as short as 10 days. The car might be more a liability over time than a convenience. Sell it in my opinion.

2. For longer trips you can rent from Zoom or similar.

3. If you MUST own a car, I would not look at such old vehicles as you’ve listed. I would buy a fill it, shut it forget it, cheap and cheerful cars that are hassle free and easy to maintain. Think cheap to buy used, not TOO old, no undue technical complexity and convenient. Given how little it gets used I don’t think FE should be an overarching priority. Names that come to mind are less than 3 year old used Jazz, less than 4 -5 year old used Honda City, less than 3 year old used i20.

These cars should do well for really long term ownership and will hopefully survive extended lack of usage a little better than more complex cars like a Vento. If you must do this though it will be good to be caretaken by a trusted friend who can give it an occasional run. ANY car left absolutely dead for 10 months is hugely sub optimal and you’re better off with the suggestion in point 1 and 2.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 11:40   #19
BHPian

When we were NRIs, what my dad did was buy a second hand A-Star from True Value, that had 39k on the ODO and use it during the 1 or 2 months we were here. When we went back, we parked it at my mother's house, where we built a small parking shed for the car, and her brother started it frequently. Sometimes, we gave it for running for our relatives with our trusted driver who helped select the car and always took care of it very well.

Most of the time, the car was stationary, but started and warmed up on a regular basis.

After 8 years(on top of the few years with 1st owner) , she is still with us, as our second car, and I still prefer taking the A-Star when I want to drive alone.

Depreciation? Who cares, when we bought it for around 3.5 Lakhs and we've had it already for 8 years and is still going decently. Only major expense was refurbishing the rear suspension, changing engine mounts other than normal servicing and some minor works like a snapped gear cable for the MT.
And we get 18kmpl minimum all day everyday. (Maybe its a bit less now)

For NRIs, as long as you okay being seen in a "cheaper" car (relatively speaking), its always best to buy a cheap car(new or old) keep it for ever, use it when you come and not worry about it when you go back, provided that there is someone to start it occasionally, take it for its servicing etc.
You'll also not be worried about lending it to some relatives/friends especially if its a pre-worshipped car.

Its difficult to get a car the is Cheap + Safe+ Goodlooking/Spacious + Auto Trans + Easy to maintain + Fuel Efficient + Low depreciation

You will have to compromise on any two or three of them to get the car you want.

We also specifically chose a Petrol Car because we knew it would not be running much when we were not in India.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The pandemic has disrupted a lot of things. Zoomcar could have been a viable alternative for you, but doesn't look like it will survive much longer. There might be some local providers who could help?

As many others have pointed out, a stationary car is a big headache. If there is no one to take care of it while you are away, your initial few days here will be eaten up in getting the car sorted.

If you do decide to get one, better stick with a cheap and reliable car. VAG cars, though good will still need a lot more upkeep than, say a Maruti. With a Maruti you can set it right without much worry at any nearby FNG.
Old 10th June 2021, 14:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are a family of five living in the Middle East since 20+ years. Our visits to India are usually twice a year ranging from 10 days to 2 months in each visit.

Till 2020, we never felt the need of a personal vehicle in India owing to the relatively efficient public transport system, cabs and self-drive car rentals. With the onset of Covid, we felt insecure to use the public transport. Therefore started the hunt for a car with budget of 8 Lakhs which in turn increased with time.
Since, you have done without a car in India for two decades and its the onset of Covid, which made you buy a car as you considered public transport not to be safe anymore, I would like to ask you this:

a) Would you feel insecure using public transport once the world becomes normal at least in terms of Covid (hopefully) ?

b) Do you think owning a car was better over the other modes of transport you used in India in the last few years?

Reason why I have asked the above is that the public transport system has definitely improved over the years and will continue to improve and if that has worked for you for so many years then the current situation is just a temporary phase and doesn't require a permanent (owning a car) solution.

Plus the hassles which other members have highlighted will only increase as the car gets older without regular usage and will add up to the cost of a depreciating asset with a high sourcing cost.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:19   #22
BHPian

As mentioned by other BHPians I also think that considering your usage, buying a car and keeping it idle for 10 months in a year is not the best solution. Since almost all the other points have been covered already, just highlighting the one point that I think could work based on the following conditions: 1. You want to have the same car at your disposal whenever you come to India and 2. You have someone at home in whose custody you can leave the car when you are away, and this person can do some basic stuff (unlock the car, etc)

If the above two conditions are met, the car subscription scheme of some of the OEMs and self-drive rental companies might work for you. Under this you get to choose the car but the company takes care of insurance, maintenance and other things. Just that the car will have a commercial number plate and won't be in your name. The advantage is that you get to retain the same car for the period of the subscription and it is there whenever you need it. I am aware that Zoomcar provides this service with a maximum subscription period of 24 months and I am sure there would be similar programs being run by the other companies. Also, as you can rent out the car when you're not using it, this will also ensure that the car does not lie idle at home and is used every now and then and it will bring down your subscription cost as well.
Old 10th June 2021, 20:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice forum handle. 2TR-FE is a Toyota classic

Regarding your situation, I see 2 major issues - 1. You have a diesel; 2. You have a VW. While the car should be fine for normal use, extended periods can certainly cause a lot of issues. You might face issues with the battery, rodents, fuel system, tires etc.

Unless you have trusted friends/relatives who can periodically drive this car, sell the VW. Rent, hire, or use cabs when in India.
Old 10th June 2021, 21:27   #24
BHPian

I would suggest you to sell it off. Rather than possessing a car which sits for almost a whole year, I’d rather sell it off and use Ola/Uber or Subscribe a car from Zoom or any other service available. A sitting German car especially a Volkswagen is just asking for trouble. More expenses like insurance, expenses and what not for a car sitting all year depreciating will be execrable. But if you really want to keep a car it will be better to buy a Japanese old car, Particularly the Hondas and Marutis. What will be better is to leave the car in the hands of someone trustworthy so that you don’t worry it being disintegrated just sitting at home.
Hope this helps.
Old 10th June 2021, 23:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

3- Considering the fact that all vehicles are depreciating assets, why not keep the car as long as possible by accepting the fate of depreciation?
Pros:
  • Will be available at all times.
Cons:
  • Will lose a lot in depreciation. Have to use for long to extract the most out of it.
  • DQ200 haunts me.
  • Reliability concerns considering the vehicle will be not even touched for (maybe) 200+ days.

In general, what will be the best possible car ownership options for NRIs in India?

I am in a similar situation. I am using my 16 year old Swift twice a year, you can say it cannot depreciate further, I just consider the money well spent for the convenience especially in today corona times. I received a forward message that 5 Lakh invested in MRF shares in 2005 was worth multiple crores, but well I don't think that way.

Fun read:
https://www.businesstoday.in/markets...ry/344959.html

Last edited by pandabear : 10th June 2021 at 23:36. Reason: Added hyperlink reference
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 00:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

You have already bought the car and are happy with it per se, only problem being depreciation in your mind. Selling this off, taking a hit and buying another one makes no sense at all. It’s back to where you were albeit with a lower investment amount. Renting a car will not make you happy due to various reasons like car condition and hassles involved in selecting and hiring every time.

I would suggest develop selective amnesia/forget about depreciation on your current car, just keep it for usage when you are in town. I am sure you have close relatives or friends who you trust, why not leave the car with one of them to run it once in a while. This will ensure the car is relatively maintained and ready for use when you return.

If you want the safety and convenience of having your own car when you come down to India, you have to be prepared for the cost it entails. Make peace with it and be happy.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 09:00   #27
BHPian

Well i suggest you sell this car as of now. Resale values are very good.

Whenever you are in India you can rent a car (call car detailers to come and do a thorough cleaning ) use it for a few days. You have an option of changing the car incase you do not like one.

You can also rent a a car depending on your requirement for.eg.sedan,hatchback, Suv, Muv,etc.

With regards to hygiene. You can always have the interiors shampooed, will cost you a fraction of the ownership cost involved in using your own car.
Old 11th June 2021, 09:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After long discussions, we took the plunge and bought a 16k KMS run 2019 Vento TDI HL+ for 11 Lakhs in September 2020. All thanks to some family functions, we spent quite a significant time in India and finally returned to Gulf in April 2021. The vehicle clocked about 12k KMS in this time frame.

Now that the vehicle is not being used at all since two months and just getting its value depreciated, I was thinking of any other solutions applicable in our case. TBH, I am simply worried of the depreciation. On an average, we can expect the vehicle to be used just for a month or two in a complete year and won't be touched otherwise.
12K kms in 7 months is heaps. We have a car in India that's done 12K Kms in 5 years. But the key difference is that my parents use the car on a regular basis and they just don't travel far with it. I personally know the advantages of having a car at your disposal when you land in India. It's yours and it's dependable. But considering that your car is going to be idle for ten months and I presume there's no one to take care of it, I have my doubts on the dependability.

Is the car in a closed or open garage?

The Vento needs to be serviced once a year so I guess you have to take car to the service center and leave it there for a day or two for the annual service. It's not like an airport rental which you can pick up and go on a 400 km trip. You'll have to do due diligence on it's condition every time you land in India. Are you fine with this?

Aren't there no family/friends who can use the car when you aren't in India?

Finally, why bother about depreciation on an automobile after buying it?
Old 11th June 2021, 11:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

A VW is a depreciation disaster. I would suggest selling it off since you don't have much running. Instead buy an old WagonR (1st gen) / Corolla (pre Altis) / Honda City (3rd gen) if you have someone have someone who could go over and run it once in a while. Else during long term parking, jack it up and disconnect the battery. These older Japanese cars are much more abuse friendly and don't require much in terms of maintenance.
Old 13th June 2021, 11:21   #30
BHPian

From another NRI's POV, I would recommend selling it off unless you got someone close to you who would take care of the car as their own.

I have a bike in India, a 2012 Honda Stunner which was my first bike and I simply won't sell that at any cost. So what I had done is that I did a complete rebuild 2 years ago (I haven't seen the bike yet!) and handed over the keys to one of my most trusted buddies. He takes care of my humble bike along with his Yamaha R1.

And I am happy to pay him for all the expenses. He uses it, and I happily pay for that as he keeps it running.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks