Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 12:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Recommendation for a good CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
But Nexon EV on road cost 17 lakhs which is way out of my budget and I would then have to sell my Honda City as well.
I am not sure if you are going to take the car on loan or 100% down payment. You could consider bridging the funding gap with a loan. Given that your daily driving is in heavy traffic, the savings on fuel which an EV would give will cover a good part of the additional EMI on a Nexon EV vis-a-vis something like a Jazz petrol CVT. You could retain the Honda city for another 3 years for your highway runs.
Quoter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 12:51   #17
BHPian

Re: Recommendation for a good CVT Automatic | Budget of 12-lakhs

I would suggest you to test drive the below and make a decision.

1. Magnite Turbo CVT
2. Nexon AMT
3. Hyundai Venue

I own a Nissan Kicks, I am happy with the car and service.

IMO, Hyundai is the more refined and has the best after sales, however lacks ESP, the most critical safety feature in lower variants. Nexon has the best space and crash rating. Magnite is a great package ticks all the right boxes. Choose a car which has ESP and good crash rating and the one which makes you smile more during the test drive.

If you are okay to stretch your budget definitely check Mahindra XUV 700 AX5 AT 16.5 Lakhs Ex. Showroom

Last edited by Godzilla : 7th October 2021 at 13:15.
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 12:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoter View Post
I am not sure if you are going to take the car on loan or 100% down payment. You could consider bridging the funding gap with a loan. Given that your daily driving is in heavy traffic, the savings on fuel which an EV would give will cover a good part of the additional EMI on a Nexon EV vis-a-vis something like a Jazz petrol CVT. You could retain the Honda city for another 3 years for your highway runs.
Yes, that's true. But I would like to wait and see if I can do with a Kwid EV or Punch EV or ekuv100 since my purpose of driving the EVs is purely in city and if these EVs launch next year, I would definitely want to check them out.

Ideally I fail to understand why small EVs are not getting launched since it will be ideal for people driving in cities whose daily running is under 100 kms and it will be great from cost point as well. A lot of fuel would be saved. Kwid EV should have launched long back and Maruti should have launched Wagon R EV.

Hope Tata launch Punch EV early next year.

Otherwise on car fronts, I got to see the videos made on Kiger issues and they are quite serious. I don't see any point in buying a car where I will have to regularly open the back bumper and lights to clean the sludge there. Not acceptable.

Still waiting to check S Cross and Magnite. Anyone know whats the ncap rating of S Cross? I don't think it's more than 3 stars.
Old 7th October 2021, 13:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I would suggest you to test drive the below and make a decision.

1. Magnite Turbo CVT
2. Nexon AMT
3. Hyundai Venue

I own a Nissan Kicks, I am happy with the car and service.

IMO, Hyundai is the more refined and has the best after sales, however lacks ESP, the most critical safety feature in lower variants. Nexon has the best space and crash rating. Magnite is a great package ticks all the right boxes. Choose a car which has ESP and good crash rating and the one which makes you smile more during the test drive.
The backseat of Venue is cramped and its rated 3 Stars. I can check the Nexon AMT but I heard it gives poor mileage and besides its an AMT. So not sure how smooth the highway runs will be. I can check it out though.
Old 7th October 2021, 13:10   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The backseat of Venue is cramped
Actually, the backseat seems cramped only if front seat is not setup properly. Issue with Venue is that the frontseat can slide back a lot! From the pic, you can see that there is hardly 6 to 8 cm gap between frontseat at max legroom position and rearseat.

Name:  2019hyundaivenue12.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  102.5 KB

So if the test drive vehicle's front seat is not set right, the rear will feel cramped. I'm 6'1" and I'd say legroom in Venue is comparable to its competitors.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th October 2021 at 13:34.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 18:06   #21
BHPian

My suggestion is to Keep the City for long highway trips and weekend rides
Buy one electric car like Tigor EV for daily city use.
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 22:00   #22
BHPian

Since we do not have a sub-10 lakh proper EV in India yet, I prefer to stick with ICE as of now.

The Kiger/Magnite is the one and only VFM product in that segment period, and again the CVT+1.0 litre turbo is quite a good combination to drive with.

Nexon AMT/Venue/Sonet didn't felt that smooth/reliable(DCT) and Honda CVT are well refined, but not so fuel-efficient moreover value for money factor isn't that great.
starke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 23:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Actually, the backseat seems cramped only if front seat is not setup properly.

A layman's opinion- currently doing a 2500 kms trip in cousins venue. The back seats are cramped. It can not hold 3 people comfortably. The driver seat adjusted to my frame of 5'8" and passenger seat to mom frame of 5'2".

Backseat occupied by sister and nephew, I'll say average leg space though both of them complained of too many jerks in the back seat.

Mileage - will update once I complete the trip though I dont expect more than 13 (some cruise control at 100/110 as well included)

Refinement amazing and the power felt good too.

Hope this helps

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th October 2021 at 00:01. Reason: Fixed quote
KD007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 01:07   #24
BHPian

Have you considered the upgraded Tigor EV? Similar range as the Nexon EV but at a cheaper price. The base version is close to your budget.
JagMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 09:26   #25
BHPian

I have not voted.

I too was looking at a similar range. There are no perfect options in this price range. The Baleno almost is a compromise in terms of safety.

Not to confuse you some more, the Renault Kiger RXT Turbo is around 9.0L ex-showroom. The dimensions are similar to the Baleno. The ride quality is great. Not sure about the driving dynamics.

Or you can also look at the Honda Jazz. The petrol engine is not great, but mostly good. The CVT options start from less than 9.0L ex-showroom.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Look no further than the S-Cross. I drove one the other day and was left shocked at why it does not sell more. Too many folk pretending they need more power I guess. Car did not feel powerful but definitely felt adequate and though several reviewers complained about the old gearbox, I found it to function well and shift smoothly. The best part about the car is the airy cabin and perfect ride/handling characteristics.
The pricelist I got from Nexa pegs the top model of S-cross at about 15L OTR. That makes me compare it against the i20 N8 which is also 15 on-road. i20 wins on 6 airbags (against 2 in the s-cross), better sound system, way better ICE and instrument cluster, 6-speed DCT (vs 4 speed TC in S-cross). It's broad enough at the back to seat 3 and has good GC. Top end N8 gets paddle shifters that are a hoot to use in the city! There was some lag until about 1800rpm but not a deal-breaker.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
The pricelist I got from Nexa pegs the top model of S-cross at about 15L OTR. That makes me compare it against the i20 N8 which is also 15 on-road.
I give credit to Hyundai for fitting the i20 with six airbags however there's no way I'd choose a small Korean hatchback with a 1L turbo petrol and double clutch automatic over a reliable and robust large Suzuki. Infotainment and paddle shifters be dammed. I don't understand why people are still drooling over 3cyl 1000cc turbo petrols. I don't care what the peak figures or 0-100 times are I'd choose an NA 4 cyl petrol over it any day of the week. The i20 might be hot today but the S-Cross will last much longer.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th October 2021 at 12:20.
IshaanIan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I give credit to Hyundai for fitting the i20 with six airbags however there's no way I'd choose a small Korean hatchback with a 1L turbo petrol and double clutch automatic over a reliable and robust large Suzuki. Infotainment and paddle shifters be dammed. I don't understand why people are still drooling over 3cyl 1000cc turbo petrols. I don't care what the peak figures or 0-100 times are I'd choose an NA 4 cyl petrol over it any day of the week. The i20 might be hot today but the S-Cross will last much longer.
The Venue offers a couple of things that the competition may not:-

1. Interior quality is good in and out
2. The size is smaller so easy to commute in city traffic
3. The DCT combination is more fun to drive and if driven properly can be a reliable workhorse.
4. GC with the venue is the same as Creta (190 MM) which is good for Indian roads.
5. Rear AC vent which believe it or not is a must now days especially up north where summers are unforgiving
6. Venue has been in the market for some time so it's a tried and tested product.
7. Frequent updates which Hyundai brings in keeps the model up to date. Read Wireless Android Auto

I believe the overall package is good IF you can ignore the rear space which is strictly for 2 adults. Apart from that, I guess it's a value proposition.

Having said that S cross has a 4 cylinder unit which is reliable. Scross is due for a mid-life upgrade so better grab one till their stocks last. As far as price is concerned it's almost at part with other automatics (4 speed AT is a spec from the last-gen although reliable). Feature-wise it's decently loaded

It again comes down to what the priorities are. Wish you good luck with whatever ride you choose as both of them will be able to suffice .
Old 10th October 2021, 07:34   #29

Quote:

Otherwise on car fronts, I got to see the videos made on Kiger issues and they are quite serious. I don't see any point in buying a car where I will have to regularly open the back bumper and lights to clean the sludge there. Not acceptable.
I recently bought the top variant of the Kiger RXZ CVT, it's a lovely car to drive and slice through the traffic of Hyderabad. The driving modes help so much, I'm so thankful for them - eco mode in bumper-to-bumper traffic for that slow crawl, normal mode for smooth movement and smooth acceleration and finally, sports mode for that killer step up for fantastic acceleration, good torque and super sensitive throttle response.

About the issue you said, I talked to the Service Manager of Renault SC Amberpet before buying the car itself, he said the company already has found a solution and is gradually fixing the cars. I too thought it was a big issue, but honestly, it's not a deal breaker because it won't matter when the rains end(which is soon.) Still, I am going to ask the showroom to apply the fix for the hairline gap that is causing that flow, in my next visit.
youngknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 08:58   #30
BHPian

But what about it's safety(Venue)? Its sibling Creta is more unsafe than the Seltos and we can see both share the same platform. He also stated that mostly the car will be driven in City conditions only.
I was also in the same boat, and I took the decision to go ahead with the purchase of Nexon XZA+S. In the city conditions, you actually will not even know that you are driving an AMT and also the manual mode is also brilliant. Tata's AMT tuning in Nexon is a better one than others. In the highways, the way it pulls int he third gear is maddening. Also the rear seat comfort is way ahead than the Venue and all. It handles well, ride comfort also is great. But I sorely Miss the Rear reading lamp. Given the new car will be mostly used with the city limits the Nexon would be a great choice. In the mileage regard, if driven sedately, you can get well above the 15 kmpl mark. And if driven aggressively, it will go below 10. Anyway it will give mileage more than Venue. (Also Hyundai's DCTs are not the fast shifting). I am very much satisfied with the car and also the TASS here.
IMHO Don't sell the city for these cars as they all never come close to comfort level of a city. Don't even think of Magnite and Kiger as the plastic quality feels cheap inside.
But here, My pick would be to keep the city as a leisure ride and buy an Altroz EV by the time it arrive. It may be in the range of 16 lakhs. Or If you are open to the 17 lakh range in the near future, the Nexon EV is a sorted product no as it has rectified many of its earlier issues like the DtoN Issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendation for a good CVT Automatic | Budget of 12-lakhs-nexon.jpg  

DevSunit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks