Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2021, 21:35   #1
BHPian

Head vs Heart, Wants vs Need, Corona made me rethink!

To sell 4-year-old BRV or not, upgrade to Compass or not!

Fello BHPians,
Looking for your opinion and views, validation of my view on my current predicament described below.
I am a very logical, conservative person by nature, I have always prioritized function over form.
So far every financial decision has been taken with a view to ensuring a comfortable future for the family than splurging on current wants.

I am a firm believer in 'save now spend later. 'Later' in my case means when kids are in college, expenses related to their education are taken care of. So, I have been saving as much as I could till now with a view to start spending on 'wants' after 3 years, when my son would be in an engineering college, the daughter would start college after 7 years so there is sufficient time to take care of her educational expenses.

On the Financial front - fortunately, I own a house without any EMIs, enough corpus to take care of educational expenses, retirement corpus just enough for all the needs but not enough for all the 'wants'.

On the fitness front, I used to run half marathons and have completed Washington full marathon just after a snowstorm in -10 deg Celcius, with 2 jackets and gloves on, it was slow and painful but I did complete under 6 hours.

On the vehicles - I drive a BRV. it is 4 years old, with 18k on the odo. Before BRV I had driven Ford Mondeo, Scorpio, Honda Pilot and I still own Yamaha 135

The car which I loved driving most was Scorpio. It was also the least comfortable ride quality wise but still, I was addicted to that m-hawk torquey diesel engine and sudden power surge when the turbo kicked in at 1800 rpm.

The decision to choose BRV was solely to travel with extended family (in-laws) without needing 2 cars. It took me a while to get used to free-revving the Honda engine, having to work the gears. I sorely missed the low-speed drivability of the 2.0L diesel engine. But now I enjoy the honda engine on highways, especially when it gets past 3000 rpm. The engine note and the way it revs all the way to 5k+ is addictive. Even at higher triple-digit speeds the BRV feels planted, stable, hardly anybody roll and brakes inspire confidence and all this without any vibrations. It just feels safe, unlike my older Scorpio which felt like it would fall apart after 100kmph due to vibrations. So BRV is a really good family car. I feel it is an underrated vehicle let down by the MUVish look.

For city errands, the wife uses Zen Estillo.

My BRV is 4 years old, total mileage is 17k in 4 years, well maintained. No issues and no reason to sell. On a side note - I did 15k in one first year of Scorpio ownership - just shows how much I enjoyed that engine.

In short - I don't really need a new vehicle now so why then this long post?

Enter Corona - should I say Corona Vaccine. It changed everything for me in a matter of 6 months.
It seems I had some health condition and the vaccine triggered a flare-up. I got to know this after consulting 2 orthopedics, 1 MD, and 2 Rheumatologists. Basically, all my joints, ribs were swollen and were so painful that I was almost bedridden for a week, needed 10 minutes to cover 10 steps from bed to toilet that too with someone's support. Was on the verge of needing a walker. I could not walk/limp for more than 5 minutes for almost 3 months, I did not step out of the flat for those 3 months, was advised expensive injections every alternate week. The thought of driving a manual car sent shivers down the spine literally. I was advised to stop running by all doctors or be ready for joint replacements in 10 years' time. I was on sleep medication, pain killers in addition to disease-specific medicines. It was an absolute low point of my life.

Eventually, after almost 6 months, I am back on my feet, things are under control with ongoing medication, which I need to continue for the foreseeable future since there is no cure. There are good days and bad days regarding pain but grateful that I am no longer dependent on anyone or external aid for my daily chores. I started slow jogging on alternate days, on some days I think of the past where I could run 10k in 62 minutes and now I need 100 minutes for the same. I am grateful that I am physically independent now but I also started questioning myself - when am I going to start living? am 47 already, how long should I wait?

It made me rethink the bucket list of 'wants', especially not knowing what conditions the body would after 6/7 years. One of the wishlist items (since childhood) was owning a Jeep and exploring India by road. I was planning to kickstart it after 4 years but with the new 'normal' I decided to pre-pone everything by 4 years and 'live in the moment' as they say!

So I started looking for upgrade options, the main criteria being
- 30 to 40L budget
- Premium feel
- Automatic
- Diesel (use while they are still around before they are banned or EVs take over)
- 4x4
- Solid build, no rattles
- Should give peace of mind, suitable for all the future road trips (all road conditions/no roads/narrow roads)

I plan to keep the new car for 8-10 years, use it for future road trips.

XUV700: I had booked without seeing only going by the Engine specification. I am sure it is going to be fun to drive but when I checked the vehicle in person it did not feel premium enough.

BMW/AUDI: would be too much of a financial stretch so ruled out.

Skoda Kodiaq: No diesel and apprehensive about owning a Skoda long-term going by the horror stories read so far. It may also be over budget.

Safari: spacious but no 4x4 and somehow did not feel premium enough (after checking Jeep)

that left only one option,

Jeep: Feels up-market, premium enough as an upgrade but a bit small especially the all-black interior in top end model. I liked the Limited model very much due to the light color beige and tan interior. It is small/compact, suited only for 4 adults but I am ready to compromise (and be selfish)

What I am not sure about is
- slow gearbox, not sure how slow it is, especially for quick overtakes on single-lane roads (think about quick overtake in Tamhini Ghat)?
- is the ride too stiff? (note that BRV ride is also on the stiffer side)
- lack of paddle shifts? would jeep introduce paddle shifts in the near future?
- would Jeep offer a beige-tan interior theme in model S?

I have scheduled a test ride but my heart says go for it, the cars are getting expensive, jeep which cost 33L now may cost 40L + after 3 years - who knows. So, live in the moment and take the plunge.

Head says wait, but wait for what?

Thanks for reading this long post, probably the longest I have posted anywhere but I would really appreciate your views, suggestions and feedback.
ScorpWarp is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 22:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Head vs Heart, Wants vs Need, Corona made me rethink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
I am a very logical, conservative person by nature, I have always prioritized function over form......Thanks for reading this long post, probably the longest I have posted anywhere but I would really appreciate your views, suggestions and feedback.
If I understood you correctly (and I could be way off the mark), exploring India by road is the #1 item on your wishlist. If that's the case, start doing it pronto with the BRV.

The vehicle is just a means to an end, and you will be able to cover most places with your existing car. If you still feel like getting a Diesel 4x4 after a few months, then the Compass is always there. Maybe by then the new Scorpio would also be one more option for you to consider.
comfortablynumb is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 22:27   #3
BHPian

Wait for new Tucson i would say.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 22:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
start doing it pronto with the BRV.

The vehicle is just a means to an end, and you will be able to cover most places with your existing car.
True, I could do that but driving BRV doesn't really excite me. That feeling of looking forward to a drive is missing. Also, there were 2 instances when I drove to my farm house plot which has relatively steep incline and twisty loose gravel roads when I had to stop halfway because the brv lost momentum and could not pull anymore. On the same tracks the 4x2 compass managed to reach the top.
So I dont feel confident enough taking BRV to such roads. (and for certain reasons long road trips are out of question for next 18 months)
Finally it is also about the wants, BRV doesn't feel premium enough now !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
that thought crossed my mind but there is no clear timeline for the launch yet

Last edited by Sheel : 7th November 2021 at 05:51. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE +) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 23:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wait for the Tucson.
However, if you have an appetite for taking enormous risks there's a vehicle that can meet almost all your requirements: the Mahindra Alturas.

- 38L in Kerala OTR, will get good discounts
- Premium feel, better than many offerings by the big 3 Germans
- Automatic, 7-speed Mercedes sourced
- Diesel, you bet
- 4WD with H/L
- Solid build (cannot comment on this as I have never driven or used it. As a Korean CKD, it should be)
- all road conditions/no roads/narrow roads - not fit for Maruti Omni-width roads, it is a huge vehicle
plan to keep the new car for 8-10 years - this is where the real problem is. Mahindra might discontinue this vehicle

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 6th November 2021 at 23:17.
sandeepmdas is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 23:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
the Mahindra Alturas - this is where the real problem is. Mahindra might discontinue this vehicle
Thats exactly the reason for ruling it out.

I looked up Tuscon videos and it does look impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Yes, it looks impressive and probably worth waiting for.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th November 2021 at 05:50. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 6th November 2021, 23:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

It may overshoot your budget a little, but why not consider the Fortuner? Given you plan to be on the road most of your time, reliability should be the top priority. As a bonus, even if you plan to sell it at the 7 year mark, you will not lose much in terms of resale.

Since you lived with and enjoyed the Scorpio, the ride quality may not be a dampener for you. In any case, do evaluate it along with others to see if it suits.

Second, if you do wait till next year, the New Scorpio should be here. Most probably with a 4WD system. That should not go over the lower threshold of your budget. But being a v1 product, you may need to be prepared for some niggles.

All the best and wish you good health!
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 00:09   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I feel you should stick to the BRV for a few months. The market is a lil incomplete right now. Consider the following points-

1. Is your family comfortable in the Compass? BRV is big on space.
2. Did you consider the Crysta? Apart from 4x4 it satisfies most of your requirements. You can keep it for more than 10 years.
3. Have you considered something like the Vcross?
4. Why not the Fortuner? Let your family gauge the ride quality. Coming from a Scorpio, it shouldn’t feel very bad.
5. Why don’t you wait for the 5-door Thar or the upcoming Scorpio or the Jeep Commander?

Wait for a few months, things should be clear. If you are sold on the Compass, don’t postpone joy. Take care of your health!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 08:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It may overshoot your budget a little, but why not consider the Fortuner?

Second, if you do wait till next year, the New Scorpio should be here.
For fortuner diesel AT I would have to stretch a lot, also the new car would be my primary car so fortuner would be little too big for city use.

Scorpio - looking for premium upgrade from brv so ruled out.

Thanks.
Old 7th November 2021, 10:36   #10
BHPian

ScorpWarp, how I wish you had posted this dilemma of yours a few months back . I say this because I was in the market for a used BR-V. I really struggled a lot to get a genuine petrol BR-V with low odo reading. Even we decided to purchase a used car after a lot of debate just to be careful about not splurging unnecessarily as you never know when one might be hit by financial set backs (eg job loss or medical expenses) in these tough times.

Wishing you all the best for your new car purchase.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 7th November 2021 at 11:02.
Old 7th November 2021, 12:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I feel you should stick to the BRV for a few months. The market is a lil incomplete right now. Consider the following points-

1. Is your family comfortable in the Compass? BRV is big on space.
3. Have you considered something like the Vcross?
4. Why not the Fortuner?
5. Why don’t you wait for the 5-door Thar or the upcoming Scorpio or the Jeep Commander?
All valid points, family - kids, especially my son who is 5.11 and used to BRV middle seat space, slide, and recline is not really sold on Compass. Compass has adequate space but coming from BRV would take some getting used to.

Fortuner: too expensive and big for my liking

Thar/Scorpio: Ruled out by home minister and I also feel like going for a premium car now.

VCross- I did consider on paper since I would be focussing on farm house in next couple of years. But it would be too cumbersome for Pune city use and to be honest, I plan to outsource most of farm house work so would not really need Vcross type vehicle that frequently. Hence ruled out.

Jeep Commander: that is still playing on my mind along with 2022 Tuscon as suggested by other members. Not decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I really struggled a lot to get a genuine petrol BR-V with low odo reading.
True, they are difficult to find, it is a really good vehicle for larger families. Do PM me if you would be interested in the near future, I would keep you posted on my decision anyway.
ScorpWarp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 23:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

I honestly feel like you are the perfect candidate for the Alturas

As you yourself felt like the old MHawk Scorpio was your favorite car, it is only fitting that you go for the best from the brand today. And as for worries about the Alturas' future, know that it is firstly based on the Rexton which is not just any old Korean car, but one that had drivetrains which were developed in conjunction with Mercedes. It does sell decently well in many other parts of the world so spares should never be an issue. The old Rexton which was sold in India was not sold under the Mahindra brand name and also was itself a facelifted version of a car that was several generations due for a comprehensive update. The new one however is nothing to be scoffed at. The interiors, features (I believe the seat moves automatically to aid ingress/egress), space and road presence are world class. Also, Mahindra has positioned itself as an SUV brand. They've got the XUV sure but that's just to pull folks who may have otherwise bought CRVs, Cretas and Sonets. There is nothing other than the Alturas to compete with what we might call MLA Vehicles that is to say, a proper robust and rugged body on frame construction with go anywhere ability and snob value. I think if they position themselves as an SUV brand, they have to have an answer to the Fortuners, Pajeros, Endeavors, and Isuzus out there and this is it. So I'd be cautious about dismissing it from your list solely based on its predecessor's fleeting existence. Another thing I'd like to add is that although my family has never owned a Mahindra, having owned a Kizashi which was an international flop to the extent that they shut down the factory that they built solely to produce the model, I can confidently say that when you buy the best from a brand, they will always provide the best after sales service support possible from their side often times better than if you went to them with a product that costs less from their own stables.

As far as the Tucson goes it is a soft roader and if you are considering a soft roader you should seriously just look at the S-Cross and call it a day with money well saved, or else look for a good used Santa-Fe which is again a truly world class product that rivals and triumphs against many of the best soft roaders especially in the US which as a market is a good litmus test for SUVs I feel.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th November 2021 at 23:43.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 08:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I honestly feel like you are the perfect candidate for the Alturas
Your post has nudged me to rethink about Alturas although concerns about it's long term ownership still playing heavily on my mind.

Pre-owned vehicles are ruled out.

You also mentioned CRV, my original plan when I bought BRV was to upgrade to CRV after few years but Honda doesn't seem interested in launching the new CRV in India :(
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 10:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

There is no one car that will do what all you ask for including the price point. The alternatives are, compromising the list of things you may have in your mind that is of low priority. Exploring India does not require a supercar as many places have rentals and region-specific cars to rent and explore. Please do not confuse exploring India vs your car choice, as economically too, flying to certain places and roaming on a rental vehicle will be cheaper, safer, and most importantly healthier than being on the car for 3000 odd km and feeling tired after reaching the spot.

Jeep is where you started your plan and Jeep is what you should get. Test drive it and book a Jeep. You will satisfy both heart and brain as it is not a bad car. Every car has quirks.

Quote:
I have scheduled a test ride but my heart says go for it, the cars are getting expensive, jeep which cost 33L now may cost 40L + after 3 years - who knows. So, live in the moment and take the plunge.
Note:- I was in your same boat and I wanted to live in the moment (I always did but certain things shake these aspects) and in the end, I spent less than 25% of that 40L and picked an used endeavor. It has been 30 days and I have covered 5X more distance than what I had done in the last 36 months. I decided to spend the rest on actual travel, stay, and fuel. The requirement was to explore and not worry about which car I owned and how new it was. But picked a proper 4*4 that also drives like a 1BHK on wheels on long trips.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th November 2021 at 14:39. Reason: as requested
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 02:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
One of the wishlist items (since childhood) was owning a Jeep and exploring India by road. I was planning to kickstart it after 4 years but with the new 'normal' I decided to pre-pone everything by 4 years and 'live in the moment' as they say!

So I started looking for upgrade options, the main criteria being
- 30 to 40L budget
- Premium feel
- Automatic
- Diesel (use while they are still around before they are banned or EVs take over)
- 4x4
- Solid build, no rattles
- Should give peace of mind, suitable for all the future road trips (all road conditions/no roads/narrow roads)

I plan to keep the new car for 8-10 years, use it for future road trips.
Hi ScropWarp,

I loved 'heart' in your post. Few have them. So, will allow myself to share thoughts in a somewhat similar vein.

Making choices is often about choosing the least compromise, than having it all.

In such a situation - especially exploring India by road - beyond the regular/obvious, I would consider the prime criteria as:
* Safety
* Peace of mind

While reading your post, was thinking that it is Jeep Compass which might be the sweet spot, with it's AWIS and lovely agile handling despite a raised centre of gravity. Fair comfort, sprightly, a delight to drive. What I'd be concerned about with it is:

* Small size inside, especially for someone with a 40L budget and likely to have long drives.

* Sparse service network. Mission Explore India, I hope and expect, would include many regions far from a major city and dealership. Furthermost, most cities only have one dealer, and one might be left to their whims. It simply does not give the peace of mind.

* Unsure if Jeep would be able to sustain itself in India, given the low sales, and how GM, Chevrolet, Ford and others packed up. The Jeep exports from India too are pretty low (IIRC only around 10k units in 4 years)

What might be the least compromise in such a situation might be a Totota Fortuner 4x2 AT, or a 4x4 MT, or to go for the 4x4 AT with a stretched budget. In the long run it anyway might be cheaper than another one you pick up at 40L, as it will have lesser depreciation and likely a low cost of repairs. Fuel cost is another matter, but it also gives you the 7 seats you can please your family with. I agree that it might be kind of large for daily city use, but for someone who's lived with and loved a Scorpio, might be quite manageable.

A 4x2 AT would be very close to your budget, I suppose, and for the odd trip you really do need a 4x4, you could always hire a vehicle. I think you would enjoy most of your trips more in a 4x2 Fortuner than a 4x4 Compass. It ticks almost all your boxes. You only live once

Cheers,
Poitive

Last edited by Poitive : 10th November 2021 at 02:18. Reason: Formatting.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks