Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 12:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Pure automatic city car under 10L OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I 100% agree with you. I will never buy a used car for myself.
=========
This also is a good reason to learn on an old car and then buy new with the experience gained.
As a fellow new learner I would suggest against such a old car. Yes while the depreciation on the car make sense from a financial perspective, driving a super old car which does not have features like power steering, powerful brakes, and has a heavy clutch is not fun to learn at all. It makes driving a horrible experience. I would rather learn to drive in a modern small car (5 Year old Nano, WagonR etc) which have these features.

I learned to drive in a super old Maruti as well and I hated every second of it to the point it put me off driving for a long time.
Old 8th December 2021, 10:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I would recommend to first buy a rather old & inexpensive car and drive it for at least a year
Yes, based on feedback I have decided to go the used car route but not looking to buy an absolute beater for learning as after one month of learning I would want to use it with family so looking for something decent.
Old 8th December 2021, 11:00   #18

Yes, I have warmed up to idea of higher seating and SUV being more comfortable overall as well so evaluating use compact SUVs in budget too.
Old 11th December 2021, 11:12   #19
BHPian

Based on my experience, if you are budget conscious(considering your 10l otr) and if you're a decent learner and is not planning to drive 'enthusiastically' and you drive cautiously with good road awareness, I can assure you can go ahead and buy a full scale new car itself, instead of buying a second hand car and then buying a new car in the near future.

And regarding what car, since you're going to drive it in city, I will recommend you the i10 NIOS sportz AMT (has all your requested features). Even though, it is an AMT, it is one of the best(if not the best) and in the city, you won't even realize that it is an AMT gearbox. With light foot, the car is so silent, so smooth and butter like shifts which you won't even realize. It also has premium interiors, with driver aids like reverse camera.

Since you can't take the test drive yourself, you can visit to any Hyundai showroom, ask the salesman to take you for a test drive(similarly you can do the same for other cars as well) and I assure you, sitting in the nearby seat, you won't even realize the gearshifts nor the engine running. Only with the hard foot, you can feel the head nod.

If you want an absolute automatic, you can consider the i20 Sportz CVT from your list, which is around your budget. It is a bit more premium car with a better gearbox than AMT(though it has it's own disadvantage by keeping the engine rev higher with a hard foot). I won't suggest the baleno as it's out of date, has it's fair share of niggles and an updated version has been spotted testing. Volkswagen Polo is another good option in your list(though old and outdated), if you're considering a driver focused car with some enthusiatic driving characteristics on a budget, you can go for it.

Used car market has it's advantages, but unless you get a good deal(low run, less old car) and planning to keep the car longer, I'd suggest you to go for a new car straightaway considering your 10L budget(if your budget is somewhere around 25/30L, my perspective would've been different though).

P.S. for whatever car that you're going to buy(new or old), even if you don't have the confidence riding it, please take it for a test drive with the salesman driving and you on the other seat, so that you can atleast feel the NVH and other parameters, also in neutral and with handbrake pulled up on a safe area, you can sit on the driver seat and test it's visibility, seating comfort, driving position, pedals, engine vibes so that you can get a better understanding of the car etc
shravansp24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 11:23   #20
BHPian

As a satisfied customer, I would strongly recommend Honda Amaze Petrol Automatic. CVT should suit your driving style as a newbie.
amit73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 12:51   #21

Sir for your requirements and budget Baleno CVT will be the most popular choice, and i fear that could be your only choice if not for Jazz. Polo AT may not be available and recently I heard even VW showrooms don't accept booking for the Polo.
Used car route may not help you as the popular choices of used cars dont depreciate much + the compromise of your peace of mind of owning an used car.
The only negative I see in Baleno is its light build quality but its a frugal, spacious, and easy to drive family car which comes as a well rounded package for that price. Jazz comparatively a little better built but no day night difference as compared to say a Polo vs Baleno.
Another suggestion is to take a look at the Renault Kiger/Nissan Magnite ( could be a little stretch of your budget, but feature packed)
All the best for your purchase!!! Many safe miles
Old 11th December 2021, 13:37   #22
BHPian

Go for TATA Tigor EV ! With subsidies it's well under 10 Lakhs and as your usage is 90% in city , will be a boon to drive .
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 14:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK Dhanuka View Post

New Car Shortlist : Based on above, I went to a car portal(Carwale) and sorted by price on pure automatics and my new car short list is
1.Maruti Suzuki Baleno - Safety and dimples are the only cons I have come across.
2.Honda Amaze - I do not have use of boot so why pay extra for it with cramped rear seating for three people and if Diesel customers are poorly treated what makes us Petrol variant buyers any special to Honda?
3.Hyundai i20 - Premium Baleno, lesser features for better interiors. I think not.
4. Volkswagen Polo - Have heard it has higher maintenance cost so skeptical and likely lesser features than I can afford in Baleno.
5. Honda Jazz - I have not come across any complaints and based on this forum this is my style of car - boring, sedate and reliable.
Please dont go by on-paper specs.

From the multiple folks that bought the Baleno in my circle, they are not very satisfied. The thin sheet metal, lack of safety and lack of stability while driving are major turn-offs. While the mileage may work for many regular folks, TBHPians will regret.

Also no point buying a cheap second hand car for learning and taking depreciation. Just spend that amount of money repainting the bumpers / panels if you accumulate dings. Also in cities scrapes and minor brushes are unavoidable for the most experienced of drivers.

That said, If I were in your shoes I would go for the below.

1. Amaze VX CVT Petrol / Jazz CVT - The car is fairly spacious, brilliantly packaged and you wouldn't imagine its a sub 4 M car. Only issues are iffy parts quality and a lack luster petrol motor. As this is your first car and you have yourself told you are not a spirited driver, may work for you. Safety rating was 4 star if I recall correctly. Jazz preferred over Amaze due to the slightly better build.

2. Hyundai i20 Sportz : iMT. - Looks great. Typical Hyundai issues on after sales experience.

3. Magnite / Kiger : Base version of automatics will be in your budget. 4 star safety and very VFM cars.

Outside contender 1 : Nexon XMA : As you are a new driver, the AMT may not bother you much. I own the diesel AMT and I have zero issues / complaints. The car is built like a tank and interiors are very good for the price. My colleague own the petrol XMA (on my suggestion) and is pretty happy as well.

Outside contender 2: SCross TC : Exceeds your budget by 20% - 30%, but well worth the money spent if you wish to retain the car for long time. Preferred over the BREZZA due to the latter's really unimpressive interior.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 15:17   #24
BHPian

My suggestion for you is to go for the Jazz CVT. I think the VX CVT would fall within your budget and is good enough for your requirements. The Jazz definitely is, much better built than the Baleno. Has a very spacious footwell which you will really appreciate with time, an easy to read instrument cluster, good 360 degree visibility and I believe the current model is more or less up to date with the new age features compared to the 2017 model I own.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 21:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit73 View Post
As a satisfied customer, I would strongly recommend Honda Amaze Petrol Automatic. CVT should suit your driving style as a newbie.
This is one suggestion that should be considered seriously. Honda Amaze petrol CVT has a refined engine to go with a great in cabin experience in ~10L budget. The car is super easy to drive and has a spacious cabin. Honda's ivtech engine is still reliable and reasonable maintenance costs will help you keep the car for long. What's more, it won't disappoint you if you take it out on the highway.

Honda Jazz and Hyundai i20 are also great but will be over 10L OTR. Off late I have found Hyundai maintenance costs on a little higher side.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 22:01   #26
BHPian

Toyota Glanza CVT is an excellent product even though it is a rebadged Baleno if convenience and practicality is high up one's priority list. The strong after sales service by Toyota needs certainly a mention here, making it a better buy than the Maruti. The after sales service is one such area which is often overlooked while purchasing a new car. A strong after sales service will elevate one's car ownership experience and make them realise that their hard earned money is well spent. As an automatic car Glanza/ Baleno has the best engine and transmission combination when it comes to naturally aspirated automatic petrol hatchbacks in India. It is refined, punchy with minimal rubber band effect and very efficient when driven well. Glanza being a Toyota will have comprehensive warranty schemes alongwith an affordable service costs.
Old 12th December 2021, 03:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK Dhanuka View Post
Hi everyone
I am in the market for first family car and need community help in making right decision.

Background : I am nearly thirty five years old and do not have any driving experience. I do have a license issued three years back after taking one of those 10 days 30 mins lesson plan, and then paying additional "fees" after driving test. So taking Test Drive is not an option for me.
I was almost in the same situation about 1.5 years ago. Got my driving license in 2009 and bought my first car, maruti suzuki Zen Estilo. But never really drove that on road beyond the lanes around our home in kolkata. Had to let it go when I shifted my base to NCR. Bought a swift in 2016 and took another round of driving lesson here. However, never drove that car either. My activity was mostly limited to car care, applying shampoo 2-3 times a month and coordination with driver agency.

Thanks to COVID lockdown, I decided to drive on my own. Booked another driving learning session. Explained the whole scenario to the instructor. He was cooperative. I requested for last few practice sessions in my car. He suggested to take those lessons for 1 hour instead of usual 30 minutes, and through the routes I am supposed to commute more.

On first day of my independent driving, I couldn't judge my left side properly and the left ORVM touched one person from backside. I was on second gear, slowly crawling. I got scared, full of guilt that night. Couldn't sleep properly. But next day I didn't stop. Everyday I used to take the car out. Marked 3 days office attendance each week during lockdown, just to learn driving quickly. Within 2 months went to a 250 km highway trip, next month to a 650 km trip, within 6 months I was in hills!

And last year I was 43 years old!

I am repeating this story just to make you understand that driving properly and safely is possible even if your zero date is after 35 years. Just read the articles and posts on good driving practices, defensive driving and technical aspects of the cars in this forum and the internet. Watch lots of YouTube videos. Take another round of driving lesson.

I would suggest to take test drives with your close friend, colleague or family member who is good in driving. Also, can request the SA to take the test drive car for a demo, occupy the co-passenger seat and understand how it performs on road.

Since you are in Mumbai, may start with a compact size car which is easy on pocket to maintain and replace the spares etc. Try to get a car with rear parking sensors and if possible, with a rear parking view camera. Ignis with AMT could be a good car, if you wish to avoid changing gears. [I would suggest to learn shifting gears thoroughly if you have no knee problem, and then shift to auto transmission in your next car.] New Celerio could be another option if you are able to digest the look (I don't like it).

Nissan Magnite or Renault Kiger with CVT could be another option.

New Swift/ Baleno feels very filmsy and unsafe. S-cross may be too big for the first timers in crowded city condition.

Don't bother about driving new car etc. Try to learn safe driving, follow defensive driving, always follow the basic traffic rules, fundamentals of driving, no competition, no racing - you will remain safe. Then your maximum damage could be the bumper scratches and the clutch. Replacement of these parts are relatively cheaper in the above mentioned cars.

Last edited by RijuC : 12th December 2021 at 03:20.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 03:31   #28
BHPian

Out of curiosity - wouldn't an MT make more sense if you're planning to keep the vehicle longer? And a lot more fun too! Nexon XM actually looks doable in that case. If not, you always have the jazz / amaze.
Good luck!
Old 12th December 2021, 07:46   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

So, for a new and inexperienced driver, I’d rather you buy something relatively inexpensive and sorted, rather than going overboard behind features and fads. Buying pre loved usually makes a lot of sense in such cases, but automatic small cars have been a rare commodity. Do look for pre owned automatic Figo or Ecosport. You’ll get a very competent, compact and well sorted car at a very decent price, perfect for your needs. This should be your first choice. Ford was the only one to offer 6 speed TCs under 10L back then, and the owners tend to hold on to them. So if you find one, just go for it if the car is clean.

If you want to buy new, go for Tata Punch. Your lack of experience and low running means you won’t really be bothered by the AMT, and the car is just about perfect otherwise. It’s within your budget as well. It is well built and will not get dinged all over as easily as other similarly priced cars. Renault Kiger and Nissan Magnite are two very competent automatics, though slightly more expensive.

I will not suggest Jazz or Amaze. Jazz is too old and Amaze is flimsy. The 1.2 iVTEC is a very weak engine anyway. Polo, as good as it is, the car is generally unavailable now. If you are lucky enough to find one, there are hardly any discounts. Why pay full price for a car that will be discontinued in a few months, and whose USP is driving pleasure? (you don’t drive much anyway)

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th December 2021 at 07:59.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:42   #30
BHPian

Go for Brezza Vxi AT, for around 11 lacs, you get a near perfect car for your usage. High GC, good visibility, good space and excellent reliability. You can easily add the parking camera from aftermarket for very less price. While features like auto headlamps are hardly of any use.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks