Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 16:51   #1
BHPian

Automatic car within a 28-lakh OTR budget | So many choices

Dear all,

I am in the market for buying a new vehicle with an overall budget of 28 lacs OTR. Currently, I have a 2016 Innova Crysta GX 8STR and a 2016 Honda City VX MT. I may retain these cars / keep it within my larger family without selling them. The new vehicle may be driven by me or my wife.

Must haves:

- "fun to drive" automatic which is very smooth and responsive to the driver
- comfortable seating for 5 people
- comfortable ingress and egress (not too low) since I am six feet tall
- ICE with AA and AC and decent stock speakers
- easy parking and maneuverability (Innova is difficult to drive within city, and Honda city is ok, though I am always envious of those Polos and Swifts which can be parked anywhere!)
- TPMS (though I understand that Treel and Sensairy are now good alternatives)
- Waiting time not more than 2 months
- FE to be atleast 12 in city (both my City and Innova give me only 10-11 within the city)

The consideration set I have put together so far:

1. Kushaq 1.0L and 1.5L
2. Taigun 1.0L and 1.5L
3. Slavia 1.0L and 1.5L
4. Seltos GTX Plus DCT and AT
5. Creta SX Opt Turbo and AT
6. Hyundai Tucson (slightly out of my budget and also larger but great auto)
7. New Honda City Hybrid (not sure if this fits the fun-to-drive criteria)

The above list covers both sedans and CSUVs - simple reason being that I am confused about what to buy after reading so many reviews and posts on Team BHP (for example, so many people voting for Slavia instead of Kushaq).

I think the Virtus is also expected to be unveiled soon and so is the facelifted Tucson. I think the Creta and Seltos 2022 facelifted version will take another couple of months - not sure if its worth waiting for, since there will be a further waiting period.

Some critical points I wanted to ask this forum:

- between the 1.0L and 1.5L versions of Skoda / VW, is there a difference in the gear box? Are both versions DSG and using the DQ200 gearbox?
- Is there any practical difference in the power between the 1.0L and 1.5L? For example, the Vento 1.2l TSI seemed to struggle a bit with passengers when compared to the Polo 1.2TSI.
- How good is the Creta / Seltos DCT? Is it "fun to drive"? And should I evaluate with the petrol DCT or Diesel AT?
- Tucson seems to be a great vehicle as per Team BHP review, thought little non-descript in its appearance as compared to the other CSUVs. I need to digest the larger size impact (which is against the original intent of a more compact car).

Hope you guys can give me some clarity on the way forward!

Last edited by contentedbloke : 5th May 2022 at 16:52.
contentedbloke is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 16:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Automatic car within a 28-lakh OTR budget | So many choices

If you're willing to spend 28L, do have a look at the Octavia Style if you want a sedan - the more powerful 2.0TSi motor, with better interiors and build quality, etc. could be a great option and is a segment above all the other options.

In terms of SUV, you would want to look at the Tucson diesel which is a class above all the options you have listed.

However, with both these options - you have to be prepared to have dismal fuel efficiency. If fuel efficiency is crucial - your best bet is the City Hybrid or a diesel automatic Creta / Seltos / Verna but they will be a compromise on fun to drive and/or safety compared to the other options listed / in the market.
lamborghini is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 17:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Some critical points I wanted to ask this forum:

- between the 1.0L and 1.5L versions of Skoda / VW, is there a difference in the gear box? Are both versions DSG and using the DQ200 gearbox?
- Is there any practical difference in the power between the 1.0L and 1.5L? For example, the Vento 1.2l TSI seemed to struggle a bit with passengers when compared to the Polo 1.2TSI.
- How good is the Creta / Seltos DCT? Is it "fun to drive"? And should I evaluate with the petrol DCT or Diesel AT?
- Tucson seems to be a great vehicle as per Team BHP review, thought little non-descript in its appearance as compared to the other CSUVs. I need to digest the larger size impact (which is against the original intent of a more compact car).

Hope you guys can give me some clarity on the way forward!
The Taigun/Kushaq 1.0L and 1.5L have different gearboxes. The 1.0 is given a Torque converter while the 1.5 is mated to the DSG. The DSG is definitely the better choice. However, you will have to live with the fear of gearbox failure and Taigun/Kushaq are unfortunately not meant for 5 adults. 4 adults and a kid would be fine, but 5 adults would be stretching it.

Creta/Seltos DCT is a good option, however, the 1.5 DSG is definitely better combination. I cancelled my Taigun 1.5 DSG booking and booked a Creta DCT which is expected to get delivered in May end. The reason we cancelled Taigun was that VW skimped on features for the 1.5L and later deleted some more which me and my dad were not okay to live with after paying 20+ big bucks. Hence we shifted to the Creta, the next best option in our eyes.
AB10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 17:21   #4
BHPian

On any day a sedan would be way more fun to drive than an SUV, but you will have to trade off a higher stance and seating comfort for 5 people. My pick would be the Slavia 1.5 or you may try the new Virtus when it arrives (may be the same car as the Slavia, but I find it more good looking than the Slavia) or as @lamborghini suggested you can go for the octavia, way more power and as it has always been, a fantastic driver's car.
HEMIOrange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 17:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Your requirements have Slavia 1.5 DSG written all over it. It will definitely be the most fun to drive car below 28 lakhs (not considering Virtus as its not yet launched).

However if you are slightly flexible on your budget, should try for Octavia too. Now that will be at another level.
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 19:55   #6
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Please extend your budget and go for either the Octavia Style or the Tucson Diesel AT. There are only a few units left before the sales of the current gen Tucson is stopped.

Strictly within your budget, only the Slavia and the Virtus shall provide the fun to drive factor though you will have to live with the DQ200 gearbox.
AYP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 10:18   #7
BHPian

Re: Automatic car within a 28-lakh OTR budget | So many choices

Apart from the Honda City hybrid, I don't think any of the other cars in petrol fits your criteria of fuel efficiency >12 kmpl in city but from the reviews I wouldn't expect it to be fun to drive. The only option would be to go for the most efficient diesel amongst those which have a diesel and which is reasonably fun to drive.

This narrows done your choices to Creta/Seltos diesel. And these fall within your budget as well. Waiting period is the only fly in the ointment.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 08:42   #8
BHPian

Since you have mentioned that the FE should be around or more than 12 Kmpl in city limits, I'd suggest you to go for Creta/Seltos Diesel AT and that engine+gearbox is also the smooth and responsive.

My next option would be Slavia/Virtus with 1.5 DSG combo, which is a bomb to drive, thanks to that 1.5 TSI motor and provides better driving pleasure or else, extend your budget and get an Octavia or Tucson Diesel AT.

Even we were in the similar conundrum and considered Creta/Seltos Diesel AT, Slavia, Taigun (booked one in 1.0 AT guise in the month of Jan and cancelled the booking) but eventually, I ended up booking the Seltos GTX+ Diesel AT and will be getting it hopefully by this month.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 08:56   #9
BHPian

Sorry but the cars mentioned in your Post are nearly near the money you are willing to spend.

If I was in market at the price point I would look at below

Jeep Compass
XUV 700
Safari
Tucson
Elantra
Octavia
Old 8th May 2022, 12:03   #10
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson seems to meet all your requirements. Regarding parking, I think it’s not fair to compare the footprint of a hatch with the CSUVs or midsized SUVs. Probably taking a TD through the heavy traffic and try parking should give you a good idea. Tucson has front parking sensors as well. Since you’re coming from Toyota and Honda, I’d suggest you to stay away from VW/Skoda because of reliability and maintenance issues.
Old 8th May 2022, 12:21   #11
BHPian

Guys I test drove the Taigun 1.0 AT, 1.5 DSG and also the Kushaq 1.0 AT.

Of these three the 1.5 DSG is more powerful while the 1.0 AT is a close behind. The difference is most perceptible in the lower gears / speed where the torque availablity is more and the lag is minimal. At higher speeds (50-90 kmph) the difference is not so perceptible. I ruled out the Kushaq because the vehicle doesn't seem as refined / matured as the VW. The suspension of VW is also better than the Kushaq.

While at Skoda showroom, also had a chance to see the Slavia interiors - it's almost a replica of Kushaq interiors plus some parts from the vento. Somehow, that didn't appeal to me as much - it's like seeing the same version of the car in multiple formals - nothing very exciting or distinctive about it.

I also test drove the Creta top end diesel manual - for some reason whole of Chennai has only one petrol DCT automatic test drive vehicle!!! The vehicle is stunning - diesel engine is extremely refined and smooth, and the manual gearbox is very responsive. The interiors are very well put together and the Bose speakers are really something. The seats are all leather (not leather plus fabric like taigun) and the ICE screen is also not a fingerprint magnet. The vehicle is also slightly larger than the Taigun - this shows in the rear legroom and boot space. My SO is keen on the Taigun simply because of the relatively new product (creta has become a common man product) and the upmarket brand image of VW vs Hyundai (i don't agree with this entirely). Not to mention that she is in love with the DSG! Of course, the external looks of both vehicles each have their own appeal - Taigun has a lovely infinity led light at the rear while creata has a beautiful distinctive rear curve which I love!

Unfortunately, due to the non-availability of test drive vehicle, i am unable to decide. I don't know if the diesel AT will be as smooth / responsive as a DCT (I don't think so).
Old 8th May 2022, 13:12   #12
BHPian

Guys can you also suggest if the Creta diesel AT is a good alternative to the petrol DCT? Considering that the diesel MT was great and I am unable to get a test drive vehicle for both ATs, I don't want to rule out diesel AT. I did read the official team bhp review of Seltos diesel AT which has given it very good reviews.

This would narrow down the choice to Taigun 1.5 DSG, Creta Diesel AT and Creta DCT.
Old 8th May 2022, 13:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Tucson seem to fit your criteria well. My pick would be the diesel with 8 AT.

However the new model is about to launch, so I suggest you to wait till the festive season(since you already have cars in garage)

Personally, I too am waiting for next gen Tucson as I find it’s proportions more manageable in city traffic as compared to XUV700 or Tata safari.

Just curious, why you have not considered an EV ? Since you already have Innova for highway runs(no range anxiety)

EV naturally have awesome torque and can be fun to drive. Say something like a Kona ( or even ZS, nexon )
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 14:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hyundai Tucson seem to fit your criteria well. My pick would be the diesel with 8 AT.

Just curious, why you have not considered an EV ? Since you already have Innova for highway runs(no range anxiety)

EV naturally have awesome torque and can be fun to drive. Say something like a Kona ( or even ZS, nexon )
The current Tuscon looks kinda non-descript in its design / appearance and like it was designed a couple of generations earlier. I need go look for the badging at the rear to find out what the vehicle is - this is my personal opinion. More importantly, the vehicle is larger and I am concerned my SO (or even me) will find it difficult to find parking or manoeuvre within city traffic (90% use case). Would like for EV technology and market to stabilise before taking the plunge.
Old 8th May 2022, 14:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Must haves:
- FE to be atleast 12 in city (both my City and Innova give me only 10-11 within the city)

The consideration set I have put together so far:
6. Hyundai Tucson (slightly out of my budget and also larger but great auto)
The Tucson diesel is a heavy car with a big powerful engine so it’s relatively thirsty. So far, in pure city drives it’s given me 9.6 kmpl in ECO mode. Note that this is with the full tank to full tank method and not what the MID shows.

To give you some frame of reference, in city drives I would get 10.5 kmpl in my Honda City MT, a car whose “driving style to efficiency” relationship you will know well.
lordrayden is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed