Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 01:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a reliable used car for 3.5-lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRATAYA View Post
Renault had the crappy reviews the most. Subham,my relative told he once saw a renault kwid in the service bay that had its lug bolts cut loose doing 80 kph according to the maintenance guys. Scary for me because i will have an occasional highway run that would see speeds excess of 100 kph. Also i personally felt that cost cutting is most glaring in renault.
It depends from car to car to be honest. My father has a 1.0 Kwid Manual and honestly I feel it to be the most practical car in its price range.

While the major negetives will be its build quality and NVH levels in the cabin but the generous 300 ltr bootspace, high ground clearance and the fuel efficient engine are fantastic. On top of it one get a good touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple Carplay and even Reverse Camera. On highways, it has given mileage of 23 kmpl while in city, its close to 19 kmpl.

Hondas, Suzuki and Toyotas are great cars. Very less possibility you will get an issue even with used cars of these brands. But if there is a possibility of getting a new car, you should definitely consider it.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 25th July 2022 at 01:38.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:04   #17
BHPian

Hi Prataya, your preferences are a family car with a budget of 3.5L and a good form factor on the roads.
I own a VW Vento 1.6L TDI (2014), and trust me, and it would be a very suitable match for your preferences.

Let me tell you how I came across my purchase. (Please excuse me if my answer is long

In the year 2016 and my dad held the post of VP-Operations at an FMCG Confectionary in Hyderabad. I was in my 9th standard at that time. Things were all going well, and due to the demonization effect, the company had to lay off the higher officials, and my dad was one of them. While in employment, the company provided us with a Swift with fuel allowance. Since we had to return the car, my father discussed with me considering a personal vehicle purchase. Our budget at that time was 7 Lakhs. Preferences were a family car and a sedan, that's it. We looked for possible options, and the only ones in hand were Swift Dzire and Honda Amaze. My family didn't like either, and my dad seriously needed transport options, and a lack of a 2-wheeler made it even worse.

So I suggested he look out for the used car market. Considering the tight budget, he gave it a go. We looked at several dealerships in Hyderabad and found two possible options. A Nissan Sunny and a VW Vento. I fell in love with the VW Vento the first moment I saw it. Let me tell you; I wasn't aware of the technical aspects. All I knew was I wanted that car. Dad liked it too. It was a silver metallic car, perfectly maintained and was 1st owner with a good service history. I showed it to our family, and they were okay with it as well We took it to a VW service centre, and they also gave it a go.
They quoted 7L, but my dad negotiated it to around 5.8L (he truly has better negotiating tactics than my mom ). Made the full downpayment and bought the car home with us.

I don't know if it was a lucky charm, but my dad got a better-paying job in Hyderabad in a week . Now let me tell you, everything comes with a price. You should be ready to spend at least 20-30k per year for the car's service, but trust me, man, every penny is worth it. I finished my car driving lessons a week ago and rode my beauty for the first time, and by god, such an enormous smile it put on my face like seriously. Since then, I have been waiting for my mom's permission to my ask daily to start my car. My dad is now working abroad, and since it is a diesel car, I have to start it every now and then.

Now my intention in telling you this long purchase story is:
I encourage you to go for a Volkswagen Polo or Vento with a 3rd or 4th ownership history (you could quickly get one with 3.5L). Once you sit behind the wheels, you will experience a faithful German. It will fulfil all your prerequisites and the most critical aspect - make sure you reach home safe .

Very sorry for my long answer.
the_bat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 21:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRATAYA View Post
I narrowed down my choices to :
Honda - City, Amaze, Brio.
Toyota - Corolla.
Tata - Indigo manza,tiago.
Hyundai- i20,grand i10,accent.
Suzuki - swift,sx4.
Renault- Fluence.
Skoda- None
Volkswagen- Polo, Vento ( manual only)
Mahindra - None.
Hi prataya, can you update which car did you buy in the end and the reasoning?
Old 14th July 2023, 07:07   #19

Ah sorry to break down the bad news the hunt for the car is still on ��.
However the great news is that I've learnt driving ,not yet applied for my license in my maternal uncle's old Ambassador.
With the prices of used cars up through the roof I've decided to hold on for now .
Earlier I was able to locate an used Corolla something 2008 ish for 2-3 lakhs depending on condition back in 2020. Now listings for such 2008 ish Corolla is around 3.00-3.75 lakhs . Inflation you say. Ipay more for an older care that I've to get re-registered at the RTO and worse of all most of them I was able to narrow down ( City - 3rd generation, Corolla, Bolt,I10) usually were abused examples with a shady history or else accidental atleast in kolkata. The recurring theme here that shocks me the most is that 90 percent of the used car market is involved in rolling back odometer, swapping out oem for cheap Chinese trash and such.

At this moment I'm just targeting the local area garages where I noticed that cars that are often sitting for long .
I've recently taken a liking to a 2013 Honda Mobilio that has been sitting since lockdown.
The owner has had not driven it ever since his heart attack.
I'm currently negotiating a price of around 1.5 lakh rupees to get it off his hands . The car as far as I know is Mechanical okay but cosmetically a disaster.

The immediate repairs I've to perform are including but not limited to -
1. Replacing all 4 tyres ( preferably with old ones) until I clock a few thousand kilometres on local roads.
2. Changing all Fluids .
3. Unjamming the parking brake.
4. Replacing or repairing the windshield ( would like your input on the matter )
5. Attempting to buff the paint maybe ? It seems like that the top layer is faded but post rains when it's wet it looks good in the eyes.

Whatever the case may be I plan to just do the bare bones and get it running . Considering it's an Honda I will splurge around 50-60 thousand to get it running. If it runs well that will be a keeper but if it has problems I will just sell it off to some local driving schools that are always on the lookout for beater vehicles . Hope for the best .
Sorry for not replying almost a year . I've lost my gmail password and only recently I was able to get access back .
PRATAYA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks