Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 17:22   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Beater hatchback to replace a 15-year old Toyota Corolla

If I can throw in a couple of different options:

1. Tigor EV : Safe, quiet, easy to drive around the city, and it will give you the pep when you are self driving. It is expensive, but with the various perks offered by the Govt + savings on fuel bills - it could work out in it's favor.

2. Urban Cruiser Automatic : sub 4M, 1.5L NA petrol mated to a TC, with a decent safety rating : I would wait and pick this up the minute you get a good deal. While the Venue / Sonet / Nexon are fresher options - they either come with AMT or DCT both of which aren't great gearboxes to have. I would even consider pre-owned, under warranty, low run options of the same.
As a car that will be mainly chauffeur driven in the city, the quicker service and easy availability of parts, etc. will be an added advantage since it is essentially a Brezza underneath it all.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 17:29   #17
BHPian

Surprised again nobody mentioned the obvious choice:

WagonR.

cheap to run.
Cheap to service.
350 ltr massive usable boot.
Easy to park.
Cheap to repair.
Highest selling car in India.
Seating,ingress,egress well suited for short city runs.

WagonR is the 'Honda Activa' of cars.

The default choice for an AtoB car.

Last edited by drsingh : 1st August 2022 at 17:30.
drsingh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 15:25   #18
BHPian

Now the Hyundai dealer in Mumbai says that no i20 1.2 IVT is available for test drive! I can TD a DCT Turbo instead.

I got similar kind of feedback on Baleno, Glanza, Jazz etc - Only a few models/Powertrains are available for TD. How does one buy a manual after TD only a AMT or vice-versa.

I have decided to postpone my buying decision till the Holiday season is over as the demand and availability is erratic.
Old 11th September 2022, 12:50   #19

Small, safe automatic for city-runs

Hello Team BHP,

I am looking to replace my 2013 Honda Brio 1.2 S(O) with a comparable car mainly with the following requirements:

1) Small hatchback only for city runs over tight roads & traffic
2) Smooth AT/CVT is a must (AMT only if refined, clunky shifts not OK)
3) Safety is a priority and needs to be near best-in-class
4) A peppy engine (like the Brio) is preferable
5) Useful features like electrically adjusted ORVMs, infotainment screen with android auto are preferable
6) Would like the car to be a little uncommon (not necessarily rare) on the streets.

Can compromise on:
1) Fuel efficiency, since running will be < 4k kms per year
2) Ride quality, NVH since this car will be operated at lowish speeds and almost never on highways
3) "Cool" features - this is a basic purchase and need not have best-in-class features
4) Brands - we are generally a Toyota family but are fully open to trying out even unknown brands. Crucially - since this is purely a secondary car with low running - reliability or familiarity are not paramount.

Thank you in advance your suggestions!
adnankw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 12:52   #20
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
I want to share my experience with a Toyota Dealer (Madhuban) in Mumbai regarding the Glanza test drive.

I am in the market for a premium Hatchback so considering among others the Baleno and Glanza. The Maruti dealer is a bit far away so I visited the Toyota showroom nearby and looked at the Glanza and Urban Cruiser. I liked the display model of Glanza so asked for a TD.

Today, I received a call from the dealer asking about any questions which I might have. I reminded them about the TD and he calmly said that the TD of Glanza is not possible because they don't have a TD car! I was speechless for a while and then asked again. The dealer replied that there is no Glanza TD car made available from Toyota itself, yet! I was too shocked and muttered something like "how do you expect me to buy a car without TD" and hung up on him.

BTW - I had visited the NEXA showroom a couple of days back and did TD the Baleno AMT. I liked the car but not the interiors, so wanted to take a longer TD from Toyota.

I know that there is a huge waitlist on Baleno so a few thoughts:

1. Toyota feels that car is so good that customers don't need a TD.
2. Toyota thinks that serious buyers will TD the car at Maruti so they don't need a TD car.
3. Toyota's attitude and service towards non-Toyota cars is of poor quality and internally they want to discourage its sales.
4. The dealer is lying or is not keen on selling non-Toyota cars or wants to minimise their expenses in selling Glanza/UC etc etc

Whatever may be the reason it has left a bad taste in my mouth and dented my trust in the massive Toyota brand. I haven't made a decision about my car but with the above experience and Jazz also dropping out - maybe we are left with only MIAL and Hyundai in the hatchback market.
Quite disappointing but not surprising - the experience you had with the dealers. I am looking at similar options now and will be visiting the showrooms for a possible test drive. Except in my options, I am considering Amaze instead of Jazz but the Honda showroom is a little far away.

As you are from Mumbai too, if you don't mind which showrooms did you visit and did you make a decision/purchase yet? How is your most recent experience/research conclusion?
Old 7th November 2022, 10:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k View Post
As you are from Mumbai too, if you don't mind which showrooms did you visit and did you make a decision/purchase yet? How is your most recent experience/research conclusion?
I stay in Bandra so visited most of the dealers in/around Bandra-Santacruz-Worli etc.

We are in mid Nov'22 now and I have almost shortlisted my hatchback but haven't yet bought it. My options are : i20 CVT Sportz / Tiago EV / Jazz / Baleno(or Glanza) / i10. Now that the crazy festival season has ended, I plan to test drive the i20 and Jazz (again) and the Tiago EV and then decide. Currently, my top choice is the i20 CVT Petrol.

I feel my final choice would be between a CVT and EV. I just don't feel right about spending 10+L on an AMT even if it's a 2nd city runner. Hence, a lot of the CSUV and Maruti cars don't make the cut.

I have delayed my decision because of the long wait times, Diwali holiday rush, expectation of additional features/new models. I plan to finalize by end Nov for an early 2023 delivery.
VPJ74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 14:58   #22
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
I stay in Bandra so visited most of the dealers in/around Bandra-Santacruz-Worli etc.

We are in mid Nov'22 now and I have almost shortlisted my hatchback but haven't yet bought it. My options are : i20 CVT Sportz / Tiago EV / Jazz / Baleno(or Glanza) / i10. Now that the crazy festival season has ended, I plan to test drive the i20 and Jazz (again) and the Tiago EV and then decide. Currently, my top choice is the i20 CVT Petrol.

I feel my final choice would be between a CVT and EV. I just don't feel right about spending 10+L on an AMT even if it's a 2nd city runner. Hence, a lot of the CSUV and Maruti cars don't make the cut.

I have delayed my decision because of the long wait times, Diwali holiday rush, expectation of additional features/new models. I plan to finalize by end Nov for an early 2023 delivery.
I have downsized my budget as well now strongly considering the Tiago automatic top variant. Was looking at Celerio but not now. People are suggesting Ingis yet for most part I think I may go ahead with Tiago if I can nail the right price and get it this month else am not sure if I purchase it at all anytime soon due to the new regulations coming in next year and the price hike with that.

Which car did you finalize?
Old 11th December 2022, 18:45   #23
BHPian

I have also downsized given the crazy road conditions in Mumbai and steep prices for what we get. Since our need was for a 2nd car, a city runner but safe car: I booked an i10 and a Punch, both AMT. Both are around 8.5L. I cancelled my Tiago EV booking and moved it to a Punch.

Every car buy in India is a trade-off and given the horrific traffic and road conditions currently, I have gone with AMT’s.

I am strongly leaning towards the Punch.

Last edited by VPJ74 : 11th December 2022 at 18:48. Reason: Incomplete post
Old 11th December 2022, 21:35   #24

Re: Small, safe automatic for city-runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnankw View Post
Hello Team BHP,

I am looking to replace my 2013 Honda Brio 1.2 S(O) with a comparable car mainly with the following requirements:

1) Small hatchback only for city runs over tight roads & traffic
2) Smooth AT/CVT is a must (AMT only if refined, clunky shifts not OK)
3) Safety is a priority and needs to be near best-in-class
4) A peppy engine (like the Brio) is preferable
5) Useful features like electrically adjusted ORVMs, infotainment screen with android auto are preferable
6) Would like the car to be a little uncommon (not necessarily rare) on the streets.
I see Nisaan Magnite Turbo CVT to be the best choice for you .
Citroen C3 would have been a good choice if it had automatic gearbox .

Its has the best Engine automatic gearbox combo - Automatics cant get better than this .
In my experience the only draw back of Nissan Magnite is not so good steering centering - but most people are not so sensitive about steering as I am - do a 1 hour test drive and make your own decision.
You dont need to compromise on anything that you mentioned .
Only compromise you make is to choose Nissan India - see if that works for you .
Old 2nd January 2023, 21:27   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayW View Post
Do consider i20 IMT as well, It is a very good car, loaded with features, reasonably fun to drive.
I20 IMT will be better option than i10 nios and Baleno/glanza.
Any personal experience ? If yes please do share. Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 21:39   #26
BANNED

Re: Small, safe automatic for city-runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude83 View Post
I see Nisaan Magnite Turbo CVT to be the best choice for you .
Citroen C3 would have been a good choice if it had automatic gearbox .

Its has the best Engine automatic gearbox combo - Automatics cant get better than this .
In my experience the only draw back of Nissan Magnite is not so good steering centering - but most people are not so sensitive about steering as I am - do a 1 hour test drive and make your own decision.
You dont need to compromise on anything that you mentioned .
Only compromise you make is to choose Nissan India - see if that works for you .
I TD magnite turbo cvt loved the car only till the last turn before my apartment complex when I took a u turn and the steering kind a felt stuck towards right. Had to use my reflexes and power to avoid crashing. And the TD guy said it’s common with the old module but stay rest assured we will give you one with new module where this problem hardly occurs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks