Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 12:01   #16
HTC
BANNED

Re: Car for travelling just 2 km per day

Buy a new wagon R. Hire a driver. Use it for your morning and eveing pickup and drops. Rest of the day leave it for rent using your driver( with cab aggregators). Just make sure the car doesn't get involved in any legal issues. Just wild thoughts perse 🙂
HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 13:57   #17
BHPian

Check if the timing of schoolchildren Cabs and your travelling times are different, some Cab Driver would be ready to grab the opportunity of dropping you. Return, definitely would not coincide with school timings would be convenient.
Old 10th December 2022, 16:57   #18
BHPian

WagonR (old or new). Period.
Old 10th December 2022, 17:53   #19
BANNED

A 2 km travel per day is bad for the car while it can do wonders as a walk. Engine not warming up, condensation leading to dilution of oil, corrosion of exhausts and more.

So, walk, dont drive.
EV NXT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 19:36   #20
BHPian

Like some bhpians suggested, better walk or use any public transportation to cover this distance. Or get a bicycle if you can store it safely in the metro station.

If the above are not an option try to get a Liva, or WagonR.
Old 10th December 2022, 21:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
...I need a car to take me to the nearest metro station which is less than 1 km away.
I am a die-hard fan of Automatic...
...NOT for any speed above 20-30 Kmph.
My requirements:
1. It has to be dirt cheap (preferably 2 to 3 lacs, or even cheaper)
6. Cheap maintenance and parts...
Any other suggestions or guidelines as to how I can proceed for the purchase.
Looks like you need to do what I did this month - pick up a used Reva / E2O / E2O+. This is the perfect option for short hauls upto 10 km, where an ICE (even a petrol engine) does not get a chance to warm through completely in the Delhi winter, the battery does not get enough time to charge, and the engine oil degrades faster than usual. EVs don't need warm-up time, one doesn't worry about a flat battery (provided you charge it in time), and maintenance is practically zero. As for battery life, even with extreme degradation, you'll still be able to get 60-70 km per charge - which is more than enough for your purposes.

Car for travelling just 2 km per day-img_20221207_114059933.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th December 2022 at 21:17.
SS-Traveller is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 00:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a GT TSI and a GTI at home. Earlier, both the cars were used by me, but now wife takes GT TSI most of the days and I am left with GTI only.
Buy yourself a Yamaha Ray and call it a day. What GTO said about walking is true as well. You must try to incorporate it into your daily routine somehow I bought myself a treadmill for the same purposes just a couple of months back you can get both the Ray and a solid treadmill for as cheap as you would be buying another headache; car between 2-3lacs in today's used market .
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 03:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
That's definitely the ideal scenario. But I got into some disc prolapse issue and cycling is totally out of my life. Walking is fine, but again carrying laptop and a tired office day, walking for long really puts pressure on my disc.
Don't want to waste time in booking Ola/Uber till first mile connectivity beater services are introduced.
Anyways if it is not for purchasing a car, I would not have posted here
With a bit of intense search, you can perhaps get your hands on one of those old favourites of yours. But be prepared for some headaches in addition to your backache
Narendranath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 09:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
...I need a car to take me to the nearest metro station which is less than 1 km away.
Seriously? you will take less time to walk to the station than the time I take to reply to this message! Hope there is no typo and you NOT joking.

Man, just buy a good bicycle (very good one as you will start to enjoy even during weekends), helmet, safety lock and ride it everyday. This is the best you can do to yourself/family (healthy lifestyle) and the people around you. You will spend more time to park, reverse etc. than driving. You will not even reach 3rd gear at any day except Sunday (it's a holiday). It is a no-no from me and I can see GTO running towards you with stick already! Run for your life!

Last edited by sgmuser : 11th December 2022 at 09:05. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 09:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Get an old Jeep. I think going by your requirements, that looks like the best one - IF - You still have decided not to walk. For maintaining, get in touch with the plenty of Jeep mechanics in Cochin. I dont think you will have trouble with parts too. Just keep your mind open to not driving a perfect machine, and to the fact that you will have to compromise on something all the time.

Make sure you get a SWB. You will enjoy your trip to office everyday, as much as people on the road to see you come.

Last edited by dhanushs : 11th December 2022 at 09:23.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 09:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all,
I have a GT TSI and a GTI at home.
the nearest metro station which is less than 1 km away.
Any other suggestions or guidelines as to how I can proceed for the purchase.
Why are you not considering Ola/Uber/taxi/Rikshaw for such short-distance travel?
Old 11th December 2022, 09:36   #27

how about a foldable electric scooter? In this, one has to just stand and there are no seats.
example: https://www.hoverboardsindia.in/prod...scooter-india/
Old 11th December 2022, 09:56   #28
BHPian

A battery operated cycle. Charge it at home and ride it
OpenRoads is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 11:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Best to walk, get a waterproof bag so you can hold an umbrella and walk for light rains. On heavier rain days, best not to lug the laptop along and travel with better boots

Cycles or 2-wheelers would complicate those rainy runs. On dry days its ok.

Had done this for about 7 years (2 in India, 5 in Europe) in my work life (without laptop) in hot, cold cold rain and snow. Walking always had better flexibility especially while carrying things.

The Reva, e20 suggestion from SS Traveller is brilliant for those off cases, but any battery operated gadget has to be kept in regular use.
Old 11th December 2022, 11:41   #30
BHPian

+1 to walking. Walking is a low impact exercise and 1 km is nothing. You can probably walk it in 15 minutes if you just stroll. I think driving a car is worse for back issues than walking.
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks