Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Should I sell 2 ICE vehicles to buy an electric car? If so, which one?

Hello everyone, I am in a bit of a conundrum, hence creating this thread for some expert guidance.
As a family of 4 adults and 2 small kids, we own 3 cars currently.

A 2012 Fluidic Elantra SX(O) MT diesel @80000kms,
a 2014 MS Swift VXi MT petrol @35000 kms, and
a 2018 XUV5OO W7 AT diesel @68000 kms.

Earlier, as a part of studies and work, I was away from home a lot, that's why the car I use has comparatively clocked more kms. I'm using the XUV currently. However, since the last 2 years, my work has took me back home, and I realise that we really don't have the use case scenario for 3 cars anymore. Ever since COVID, our family business also ran dry and our finances are not what they used to be. This has led me to question us holding onto 3 cars. Although I am staying at home, I have a daily office commute of around 60 kms. This will increase to maybe 90-100 kms once my wife also rejoins work after her maternity leave. The XUV has got monthly EMIs. It is also the one that I routinely use. Fuel bills are on the higher side because of that. We don't want to sell the Elantra although it is the oldest car here as it doesn't have any EMIs and still runs fine, apart from some niggles. Hyundai service has also been good so far. But the gremlins associated with a 10 year old car could occur anytime. Also, I am not sure about the diesel car fate after 15 years. My dad really likes this car and replacing it with an equivalent car would certainly be a very costly affair and we aren't ready to do that just yet. The Swift has been running reliably with no hiccups. MS service is spot on as always. The 5OO running costs do not really justify the usage anymore. Earlier I used to do long distance trips in it. But with a 2 year old daughter and a 2 month old son, I don't really see myself taking long trips anytime soon. This, along with some side hustles going to take centre stage, 90% office commutes and 10% outstation trips per year would be a best case scenario at least for the next few years. After a few years though, as the kids grow, we are planning to upgrade from the Elantra to a 7 seater like the Safari/7OO/Hycross.

I have worked out a couple of imaginary scenarios based on the above, some of which may not be financially prudent as I had to balance my head and heart to some extent. That is why I am looking at our community to offer objective guidance regarding this.

Scenario 1 : Sell XUV. Retain Swift and Elantra.
This would be the most prudent decision IMO. I don't have to pay EMIs for the XUV. It's also one less car's maintenance to deal with. I can use the Swift for office commutes and just deal with the monthly fuel expense and maintenance. This was my initial plan, but there's a problem. The Swift doesn't really quench that thirst for driving pleasure. It is a good car. Reliable and fun. But this being a 2014 car, lack ABS and airbags. Highway runs aren't so enjoyable as the other two. That is where the next scenario comes in.

Scenario 2 : Sell XUV and Swift. Buy an electric.
This is the idea that's currently occupying my head. Initially I was hoping to take a Tiago EV, but the lower range means that it will strictly be a city car. One can't really do more than 250-300 kms comfortably in a day on narrow Kerala highways. But I want a car that can at least cover this distance without much range anxiety. So I shifted my attention towards the 20L EV segment. Also, if I'm already betting on some nascent tech like BEVs, why not enjoy it to the fullest. The driving dynamics and insane acceleration of mainstream EVs like Nexon and 4OO are pretty appealing. The latter was awesome to drive and has struck a chord with me. Buying a top end Nexon EV or 4OO would require taking a loan, but it would still workout to be cheaper than the EMI + fuel costs + maintenance I'm currently paying for my 5OO. Jumping to the Kona/ZS EV segment would nullify this, so I'm not considering them, at least for now.

But then comes the next hiccup. If I decide to go through with this option. Which EV should I buy? Nexon or 4OO?

Nexon EV Max

Advantages
1. Tried and tested product
2. Interiors
3. LFP battery tech
4. A reasonably good Tata dealer very close to our home. Considering the nascent stages that our country is in, this is very reassuring.

Disadvantages
1. Can't really digest the thought that I need to spend 20L for what is essentially a sub 4m car.
2. Lack of 6 airbags lingers in your mind, especially while travelling with family.

XUV4OO

Advantages
1. The drive - the power, the dynamics, the rush - so in love with it.
2. 6 airbags
3. Feels like a bigger car overall in terms of size and space. From an objective point of view, this is a Kona EV competitor at a Nexon EV price.

Disadvantages
1. Interiors - I can surely overlook it now, but a couple of years later would it be terribly outdated?
2. This being a gen 1 EV product by Mahindra, are the customers going to be beta testers? Would there be range issues? Battery heating issues? Or any other issue that would leave me stranded? So many questions for which there is no answer due to lack of data, unlike Nexon EV. Only solace I could find was that the 3OO has been on sale for quite a while without much problems, and also that the battery from LG chem and motor from Siemens are pretty reliable. But not sure how all this will apply to the 4OO.
3. Mahindra service centers are a bit far away compared to Tata. Service center visits might need me taking a day off from work.

Both Tata and Mahindra have their customer service issues, so not highlighting it as a separate con.

Scenario 3 : Sell XUV and Swift. Buy a Fronx turbo AT/Sonet diesel AT
I'm not exactly sure why this option is here, but it sounded good inside my head, considering the confusion regarding EVs A reasonably priced, well-designed, reliable, feature-rich compact SUV with no worries about charging and frugal to run. That isn't so bad, is it?

Now, there could be a need for a third car a few months later, when wifey decides to go back to work. But she still has to get some experience behind the wheel, so planning to take a pre-owned one when the time comes, should the need arise.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on this.
GKR9900 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Should I sell 2 ICE vehicles to buy an electric car? If so, which one?

Sell XUV, retain Swift and Elantra. Do nothing else for a few months.

Buy XUV400 in a few months when your wife will need the car. Hand her over the Swift at that time.
antz.bin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:58   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ive read your post and am going to wield the surgeon’s knife.
1. You’ve said there are financial pressures - hence if I were you I would first sell the vehicle on which I am paying EMI.
2. I would NOT take on any more EMI’s.
3. Clearly I would question why I need 3 cars and all their running and maintenance expenses. And I would definitely reduce the garage to just 2 cars.
4. I would bite my lip, tighten my belt and put a hold on the ‘driving enjoyment’ piece for the moment - this is because of the added responsibilities of the elders and children.

I would sell the XUV500 and quietly manage with the Swift and the Elantra for a year or so more.

In this time, I would put aside some savings - probably the EMI piece which I am saving on the XUV500. And after a year, when the XUV400 has more real world user reviews and information around it, I may consider selling the Swift OR the Elantra and buying the XUV400.

This way I will still have 2 cars - one EV and one ICE car.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 16:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sell the Swift (too old, too unsafe) for sure. Will your wife be comfortable using the Elantra for office commute, or would the both of you continue to use the XUV500? If so, sell the Elantra too and if financials permit, get a hatch: the likes of Tiago (petrol). A small car will be better than the Elantra for city runs. Which you will soon have many of, once the kids enter the school going phase.

Keep the XUV500: you will need the space. With two young kids, I'd recommend that you use car seats for them, if you don't already. Only the XUV500 will allow your entire family to travel together comfortably. No point selling it and spending ~20 lakhs on another vehicle to fill the void.
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 18:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

First of all figure out what the real world range of all these vehicles is. ARAI tests on a rolling road and unlike ICE cars that can simply be shifted into overdrive to drop the revs and sip on fuel, EVs use more energy to travel fast so highway running may not yield greater efficiency. It would be prudent to figure out from ownership reports and other reviews what the real world range is. Next you will have to take into consideration the fact that you will experience battery degradation. Just like your smart phone's battery life doesn't feel as awesome after 2 years of usage, you can expect the same thing to occur with your EV. This not only means lower resale value but also means you will have to find out the real world range of these cars and ensure that even after 20-30 percent battery health loss, that it is still an acceptable range to you.

I'd say you're better off selling the XUV and fueling your side hustles with the money it fetches. At the end of the day battery tech is still a generation or two away from being ideal where we get more range from a smaller battery pack that doesn't degrade through charging cycles. Graphene batteries are atleast a decade away thus I would suggest waiting until then before jumping on the EV bandwagon.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd February 2023 at 18:23.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 18:41   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the valuable opinion everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Will your wife be comfortable using the Elantra for office commute, or would the both of you continue to use the XUV500? If so, sell the Elantra too and if financials permit, get a hatch: the likes of Tiago (petrol). A small car will be better than the Elantra for city runs.
My wife knows how to drive, but she lacks confidence. Elantra would be cumbersome for her to handle in the city. Also, it would be better for me to pick and drop her during my office commutes. If she really wants to smoothen out her driving, I was hoping to pick up a used one with an autobox.

Besides, I am planning to use the Elantra only for those absolutely necessary situations. For my dad, it is something that holds a special place with a lot of associated memories. So I also decided to not use it for my commutes and clock too many miles on that and let it remain in its pristine condition for a few more years until a suitable replacement arrives. In these times of economic downwind, driving it is something that still brings a smile to his face. I hope you get the drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Buy XUV400 in a few months when your wife will need the car. Hand her over the Swift at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would sell the XUV500 and quietly manage with the Swift and the Elantra for a year or so more.
In this time, I would put aside some savings - probably the EMI piece which I am saving on the XUV500. And after a year, when the XUV400 has more real world user reviews and information around it, I may consider selling the Swift OR the Elantra and buying the XUV400.
This way I will still have 2 cars - one EV and one ICE car.
Even if I decide to go for the 4OO, it could still be half an year away as the bookings for 7 months have already been filled up, according to M&M. Initially, I was also thinking of retaining the Swift and Elantra and save the EMI part, which makes most sense. But then the lack of even basic safety kit like ABS or airbags and the structurally weaker body in the Swift is something that bothers me a lot, especially while travelling with my kids. My daughter also loves riding around in the XUV due to the higher ground clearance. That's why I was starting to reconsider my options. We are going ahead with installing solar at our home as well, which would further reduce our running charges. That's why the 4OO and Nexon EV was looking attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Keep the XUV500: you will need the space. With two young kids, I'd recommend that you use car seats for them, if you don't already. Only the XUV500 will allow your entire family to travel together comfortably. No point selling it and spending ~20 lakhs on another vehicle to fill the void.
Even with the XUV, safety is a concern as mine is a W7 with only front dual airbags. Upkeep is also on the higher side compared to the other vehicles. It also has EMI. I'm also aware that we may need to replace the Elantra within a few years. That's also when we would really need the space as the kids would have grown by then. I'm currently using child seats for the older one. The younger one has not really been taken for rides yet. Hoping to do that once he develops some more head control. However, I don't really foresee a long road trip with full family in the near future. The nature of my work and other current commitments ensure that. So I was hoping to postpone a 7 seater ownership until such a time as to when it's justified. The current use case scenario is mainly for myself for office commutes, business and leisure trips and I am evaluating an option with best mix of economical running charges, driving involvement and safety all at a cost less than the one I incur currently...a do it all kinda car. This thinking was what made the 4OO look attractive. Once we get a 7 seater home, this would be the 2nd car of the household. At least that's the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'd say you're better off selling the XUV and fueling your side hustles with the money it fetches. At the end of the day battery tech is still a generation or two away from being ideal where we get more range from a smaller battery pack that doesn't degrade through charging cycles. Graphene batteries are atleast a decade away thus I would suggest waiting until then before jumping on the EV bandwagon.
This is also running at the back of my mind. I was factoring in a range of 250 kms for the 4OO that's still decent to make your way through Kerala roads Out of state trips would usually be via train/flight, so I'm not worried about that. I must confess, there's also some part of that yearning to experience the EV punch that some of these cars deliver, but not at the cost of sacrificing too much financially of course. Driving an EV with some solid performance felt really therapeutic amidst all the troubles that we were facing lately. Yeah, now I'm starting to sound like making up reasons to just go and buy an EV. So I'll leave the ogling part out of it for now!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 2nd February 2023 at 18:49.
Old 5th February 2023, 09:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Selling the XUV500 does not make sense to me. Your assumption is that your seven seater requirements are a few years away. I think they are just 8-10 months away. The moment your 2 month old son becomes old enough to fit into a car seat your thought process wil change. XUV500 can hold two of you, two car seats and their luggage in comfort. Nothing in your current budget can do that.And you will need the space even for short distance commute in the near future. So the best option here is to sell the Swift and use it to fund your XUV's EMI for some time.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 5th February 2023 at 09:21.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 13:30   #8
BHPian

Hello GKR9900, all our very best for the recovery of your business pre COVID times. I am hoping that your finances are reasonably good since you both are working.

I suggest you to sell your XUV5OO as currently it will give good resale value due to long waiting of 7OO and your 5OO is not that old. Beside this also sell Elantra which again will give you reasonable resale value. I am hopeful that by selling these two, you will get around 20 lacs to spend on your next car.

I suggest you to buy Brezza Vxi MT for around 11.10 lacs and Tiago XT Long Range for around 10.50 lacs. Both the cars are solidly built and you will have to spend less on maintenance.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 15:29   #9
BANNED

Hope your loan for XUV is for 5 years, if yes the EMI would be over this year. Why don’t you sell the Swift and pay off few months EMI? Its already reaching a decade. No point holding on to it.

Your running ideally warrants an electric car, so Tiago long range would be the cheapest best bet. At ₹12 lakhs, the EMI burden on ₹10 lakh would be ₹20,000. With 60 kms/day running you will save around ₹10-12000 a month on fuel expenses. Once your wife starts working the savings would be ₹14-16000 a month. So you would be paying just ₹4-8000 as EMI depending on the scenario. Besides it will be easy for her to drive an EV!

Keep the XUV for the time being, sell off Swift, use the proceedings for finishing EMI or as a down payment for Tiago EV. After 2-3 years sell off the XUV 500, pay off Tiago EMI and buy a 7 seater of your choice. This way you will be having only one EMI at a time. Once solar is up, you are practically running EV without much expenses.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 5th February 2023 at 15:33.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 16:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hello everyone, I am in a bit of a conundrum, hence creating this thread for some expert guidance.
As a family of 4 adults and 2 small kids, we own 3 cars currently.

A 2012 Fluidic Elantra SX(O) MT diesel @80000kms,
a 2014 MS Swift VXi MT petrol @35000 kms, and
a 2018 XUV5OO W7 AT diesel @68000 kms.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on this.
In a few weeks, sell the XUV500, get rid of EMIs. You don’t need this. The Elantra would suffice for any occasional long journeys. The used market is quite good right now, so the XUV 500 could get good resale value.

In a few months, sell the Swift Manual and get a Tiago EV. Low purchase cost, automatic, cheap to run, and a good city car with decent range (~250-300km). Pre book now for delivery in 6 months. The investment/loan needed is nominal(3-4 lacs), as you will get a good resale from Swift anyday.

In a few years ~2026 (when the EV market matures, prices are reasonable and when your finances improve), sell the Elantra Manual and get a good EV (with 500km+ range and good performance to satisfy the enthusiast in you).

Last edited by evolvo : 5th February 2023 at 16:43. Reason: Added info
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 16:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b][u]Scenario 1 : Sell XUV. Retain Swift and Elantra.

Will suggest this and buy the Sonet Diesel AT. Would advise to stay away from EVs as there are quite a few variables associated with EVs which one just takes for granted in an ICE car. Also the EV market is evolving rapidly, and if you buy one today, it will be hopelessly outdated by an year from now.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 21:18   #12
BHPian

Went through your ordeal, my advice is you should stick to your existing garage for a couple of years if finances are really one of the major concerns like fuel bills, EMIs etc.

Thinking too much is a real concern and we sometimes end up aggravating the problem instead of solving it. I am expressing my personal experience. Your existing garage should suffice your near future needs as you have

- comfortable 7 seater for outstation long trips
- Swift for cheap city and office runabouts
- luxurious and comfortable car to satiate your family appetite

Even if your spouse joins office in near future and you both have to ferry Swift and XUV routinely, it does nowhere equate to investing in new car of 20L or more ex showroom, installing an electric grid at home and other expenses. Savings would be only a fraction of your expenses.

I understand that you are worried about the safety of your family in 2 airbag cars but trust me, safety is much more to do with your mind, perception and driving and lesser to do with the car you own. You may decide to upgrade to a much safer car when the time comes to shuffle your garage 3-4 years down the line but propping up a major expense just for a concern may not be a very good idea in such scenario.

Going electric may open new pandora boxes you may not have thought about as yet. Reliability may be a concern, range may not be sufficient, resale may be dismal, there could be other cons you haven't thought about.

Sorry if it was a bit not sought for advice but I have gone through a similar experience recently and can confidently say that you would be better off with just enjoying your day to day life if you leave your unwanted concerns aside. Sometimes it is better not to act or make a decision.
gupta_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 19:29   #13

Hello GKR9900

I was hell bent on replacing my Ecosport with Nexon EV till sometime ago. One travel vlog changed my mind completely. There were few friends who went on trip in EV from Mysore to Ooty and somehow lost their way. They barely made to next charging station with some charge left in the battery. One more wrong turn and they would have been stranded inside a forest without charge and no cell reception. Imagine the same situation with family, it will be much more scary.

Here's my two cents: See if you can go for CNG options for daily commute, that can save petrol cost. Retain the XUV500 for full family trips.
BlueGod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 23:31   #14
BHPian

This is how I understand your situation:

1) Elantra – It’s a sellers’ market. Kerala resale markets have decent valuations for Hyundai cars in general. Attaching images of 2012 Elantra resale rates in Orange Book Value portal (OBV shows tentative value at which used car dealer will buy and also the marked up price at which used car dealer will sell). Unfortunately, Elantra was not as successful as Hyundai wanted it to be. The resale value should fetch you an amount in the range of 6 to 7 lac rupees as per a few local used car dealers ( Apparently they face challenges in finding a buyer for Elantra / Corolla / Civic etc)

Should I sell 2 ICE vehicles to buy an electric car? If so, which one?-82ba6df58d0a4dacac0f90121d87c498.jpeg

The minimum and maximum values as per OBV for Elantra

Should I sell 2 ICE vehicles to buy an electric car? If so, which one?-75e97da3431f48cc8a28a4bc2a45b329.jpeg

2) XUV 500 - Though its running cost is high, your heart aches to let it go. Moreover, being a 4 adults plus 2 kids family, you will soon need a 7 seater. Even if you push the can down the road for a couple of years, you will have to spend at least 20 lacs to have a decently powered, comfortable and safe 7 seater. Since the vehicle is of 2018 and its almost nearing 5 years I am assuming that a major part of the loan would have been paid off by now. Retain the XUV500 and save significantly when compared to a future 7 seater purchase. The XUV 500 should serve you faithfully for long highway trips and family getaways

3) Swift – It’s a sellers’ market. Kerala resale markets have outrageous valuations for Maruti cars in general, and Swift in particular. Attaching images of 2014 Swift resale rates in Orange Book Value portal (OBV shows tentative value at which used car dealer will buy and also the marked up price at which used car dealer will sell). The resale value should fetch you an amount in the range of 4.50 to 5.00 lac rupees

Should I sell 2 ICE vehicles to buy an electric car? If so, which one?-6381e804549c4742aa2ffad18ef01e41.jpeg

The minimum and maximum values as per OBV for Swift

Should I sell 2 ICE vehicles to buy an electric car? If so, which one?-8fae73c54eb54a55ae4963792a69765f.jpeg

Quote:
Swift doesn't really quench that thirst for driving pleasure. It is a good car. Reliable and fun. But this being a 2014 car, lack ABS and airbags. The lack of even basic safety kit like ABS or airbags and the structurally weaker body in the Swift is something that bothers me a lot, especially while travelling with my kids
Swift is not exactly tugging at your heartstrings. Besides as you rightly pointed out there are safer and more loved cars right in your garage currently.

Have 2 course of action for you and both involve selling the Swift

Course 1: The Head over Heart decision

Sell Swift and Elantra

The Elantra is crossing the 10-year mark and is a diesel. Besides it didn’t exactly set the sales chart on fire. And parts for discontinued cars are sometimes difficult to come by and expensive. Expect a minimum resale value of Rs 6 lacs

Expect a minimum resale value of 4.50 lacs for the Swift

With the sale proceeds go ahead and buy a Tiago Long Range variants. While TAMO promises 315 kms range expect at least 225 kms in reasonably spirited driving which should hopefully suffice for your daily commute.

Quote:
My wife knows how to drive, but she lacks confidence

If she really wants to smoothen out her driving, I was hoping to pick up a used one with an autobox
As an added bonus , your wife may also find driving the Tiago less stressful due to the absence of Manual Gear Shift.

Quote:
We are going ahead with installing solar at our home as well, which would further reduce our running charges
Besides enjoy reduced Running and Insurance Cost. When you complete installation of solar panels in your home, your fuel costs should practically be zero

The subsidies and Tax Exemptions for Ev’s will be gradually phased out in the upcoming years. Make hay while the sun shines

Course 2: The Heart over Head decision

Quote:
For my dad, it is something that holds a special place with a lot of associated memories.

In these times of economic downwind, driving it is something that still brings a smile to his face
1)Elantra - Dad loves it. Don’t Sell it for now; Period

2)As the Swift has decent resale value, sell it off

Use proceeds of the Swift to close loan of XUV500. Live EMI free. Once finances improve get a better EV(Hopefully EV options will get better in the upcoming years along with reliability and charging options)

Bane of this plan is that you will be left without a beater car for a couple of years

As always keep us updated of your choice

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Orange Book Value (OBV).

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 7th February 2023 at 00:01. Reason: Content
Voodooblaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 08:39   #15
BHPian

So, you really can't touch the Elantra. Can neither sell it nor can clock too many kilometres on it. Which is a shame considering your diesel Elantra would've been more frugal (and possibly more comfortable) than your XUV.

What I would've done is sell XUV and use the Elantra as much as possible. There's a beater Swift lying around for short trips and for your wife to get comfortable behind the wheel. Once the kids grow up you'll have to buy a bigger vehicle with more seats, at which point the Swift and/or the Elantra can go.

However, all this is moot since we can't touch the Elantra (neither for selling nor for driving). So let's ignore it.

(By the way I wouldn't worry too much about the Elantra being 10 years old, although I would worry about an old XUV).

My idea is to sell both the XUV and the Swift and buy a used diesel BRV or something similar. Advantages:
  • Cheaper running cost of the frugal BRV. I imagine the service costs should also be cheap.
  • Not as intimidating as the XUV for your wife to practice driving. It's car-like.
  • Has 7 seats, with some additional space for luggage.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks