Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 22:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Beater Car | Stay within a budget or follow my heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- Yes my point was just on a direct comparison with NA petrols. But its the flavour of the town now.
- Congratulations, you chose well, have fun
- Nexon needs that DCA at the earliest.
- That's true hence it's still a strict no for a single car garage.
Have fun with your N-Line
- Agreed.
- Thanks!
- Yes, DCA is long overdue along with a smooth drivetrain. Nexon deserves something solid with around 120-125 bhp.
- EVs still have a long way to go.

SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 01:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
So I have mentioned the tussle between i10 and i20. However, my cousin drives an i20 petrol, 2016 manual and found it to be a fuss-free car. What's worth noting is he does not drive it daily but after 7 years(he got it pre-used at 15k on the odo in 2020) he hasn't had any niggles with the car except the tires which I believe he got changed last year some time. What's also worth noting is we had the first-gen Santro for about 10 years and it barely gave us any hiccups except the the infamous A/C problems with first-gen Santro. We had it for almost 1.5L+ kms on the ODO. That said, many dealerships are notorious for pushing needless Value Added Services. (Also common in case of our Baleno) However, since I have decided to go with i20 N-Line N8 DCT, I have decided to make peace with whatever happens now.
That barely has any mileage on it. My car didn't start showing any niggles till about 45k kms was crossed. If this is a beater car, you will be using it till 100k at least I assume. It will definitely run, but when things go wrong, be prepared to spend quite a lot. Don't even compare it with the old santro, hyundai then was basically Maruti and Hyundai now is basically a discount BMW.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 01:03   #18
BHPian

Our Baleno has been officially promoted to Beater now. A luxury beater, if I may.
Old 21st March 2023, 01:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- Nexon needs that DCA at the earliest.
Music to the ears?
Seems like Nexon is getting a DCT with the new TGDi engine and maybe a new name as well.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour...t-dct-new-name
Old 21st March 2023, 01:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

I was in this situation, and I ended up with an Etios liva. Even though I was looking for a beater, (test drove mostly the same cars you did, rejected the tatas because of 3 pot engines, i10 because driver legroom was cramped, and I ended up in more or less the same conundrum as you, except i20 nline instead of the venue.

I ended up with the pre owned etios because i came across a good example, I realized that the toyota was as good as a bank FD, and I will probably get all my money back, because i was planning to sell it in a year or so do to the possibility of emigration. With the nline, i was looking at a lot of potential depreciation if I couldn't find a buyer

In your case, I think hondas are also a safe bet. At least in KL, Jazz are overpriced and in short supply. On the other hand I can see several base model 5 year old 50K run 4th Gen cities going for around 7L which is pretty much premium hatch territory. A bit higher than your 30K target, but I wouldnt worry too much about a that sort of mileage on a honda/Toyota engine. I recently helped my relative buy a 2017 ZX from a private seller and It's a great car. A base model City should be a good balance of beater and upgrade - spacious, fun to drive, good resale, reasonably easy to service, Japanese reliablity and snob value, and not too many expensive electricals/electronics to break (except the head unit - which you dont need to worry about if you stick to the base models - the oe displays in the higher end ones will die sooner or later (The disaster called Honda Digipad AVN) )

Test Drive a couple of them and see what you think! It's almost twice the car for 40% more. In absolute terms, depreciation will be similar (assuming you get a good deal) Service should be marginally expensive (My relative who got the city ZX tells me its cheaper to service (mostly because the Honda ASC doesnt pad his bills like the hyundai one with unnecessary value added stuff) than his 2017 elite i20 asta and better built, and a lot more fun to drive). I've driven the i20 petrol, and its a nice car ruined by an underpowered (for a car of its size) engine. The City doesnt have that problem. You're going to be stuck in traffic for at least 2 hours daily. Get something where you're going to be comfortable in - You dont want to reach home at the end of the day all tired and weary.

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st March 2023 at 01:37.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 11:49   #21
BHPian

Completely agree with you on Hondas and Toyotas with their larger than life, life on their cars. But I found Honda City to be wayyy long and not looking for a Toyota due to the outdated design. I always liked Yaris but super long again and not a fan of sedans. At that length, I would opt for a 5 seater SUV.
On the other hand, I have opted for the N Line because of the fun engine as well as the DCT Automatic which was a pleasure to drive.(I must learn the ways of the DCT, I know)
On the service pricing: I always stick with manufacturer recommended service schedule from the user manual. Value added services are never part of my bill as they are completely irrelevant and I never take any. Any proposal for an unnecessary replacements will be taken care by the extended warranty which I plan to extend to a full 7 years (fair enough)
If a good Jazz CVT was available at a fair price, though, I would leap it up as soon as I can.
Old 21st March 2023, 12:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
Seems like Nexon is getting a DCT with the new TGDi engine and maybe a new name as well.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour...t-dct-new-name
They always needed it and also the Altroz and Punch with iTurbo-DCA combo. The question has always been when but seems most likely this year.
While I am hoping for a slew of launches with the Altroz, Nexon and Punch being fully equipped within 2 months of the first but history suggests otherwise

Either way lets see how do they go about it.

Last edited by shancz : 21st March 2023 at 12:16. Reason: upd
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 14:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I can see several base model 5 year old 50K run 4th Gen cities going for around 7L which is pretty much premium hatch territory. A bit higher than your 30K target, but I wouldnt worry too much about a that sort of mileage on a honda/Toyota engine. I recently helped my relative buy a 2017 ZX from a private seller and It's a great car. A base model City should be a good balance of beater and upgrade - spacious, fun to drive, good resale, reasonably easy to service, Japanese reliablity and snob value, and not too many expensive electricals/electronics ……
The City doesnt have that problem. You're going to be stuck in traffic for at least 2 hours daily. Get something where you're going to be comfortable in - You dont want to reach home at the end of the day all tired and weary.
Ok. After staring at your answer for a few minutes, I am reconsidering the 4th gen City. Just booked a test drive of a 2017 City V (has everything I want except a sunroof), driven about 18k available at approx 8L via Spinny in Delhi. Price is on the higher side, yes but it is barely driven as well. TD is on Friday. Did not find many other appealing options. Looking at the seats looking practically fresh, it seemed like a family’s second car, mostly chauffeur driven instead of Owner driven. Barely any seat wear from the images. Let us see how that works out. My biggest concern being it is too long so moving it about will need some patience and GC is quite low.
Old 21st March 2023, 15:14   #24
BHPian

Get a 2017 City CVT, very reliable and much better power wise compared to the i20. You can get Honda’s anytime warranty which is renewed every year, can be taken even if the car currently isn’t under warranty, as long as it’s under 10 years/1L kms.

I don’t see any issue with the length, both i20 and City are subcompact cars, with a 0.4m difference in length (4m vs 4.44m), you won’t even feel it in traffic. Use your trusted mechanic for servicing and you’ll be spending ~5-6k for oil and filters every year, can’t get cheaper than that.

Ground clearance is a non issue, my Accord is much lower and I have zero issues in Gurgaon/Delhi, City is higher so you’ll be fine.

Last edited by AJ56 : 21st March 2023 at 15:16.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Get a 2017 City CVT, very reliable and much better power wise compared to the i20. You can get Honda’s anytime warranty which is renewed every year, can be taken even if the car currently isn’t under warranty, as long as it’s under 10 years/1L kms.

I don’t see any issue with the length, both i20 and City are subcompact cars, with a 0.4m difference in length (4m vs 4.44m), you won’t even feel it in traffic. Use your trusted mechanic for servicing and you’ll be spending ~5-6k for oil and filters every year, can’t get cheaper than that.

Ground clearance is a non issue, my Accord is much lower and I have zero issues in Gurgaon/Delhi, City is higher so you’ll be fine.
Yes, After staring at @greenhorn’s answer, I started looking for a 2017-ish CVT around 7-8L, but couldn’t find any. So considering a 2017 MT variant.
I am looking at Spinny and possible Cars24. I would consider Spinny as more reliable though.
Old 21st March 2023, 19:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Given the 1.25-2 hour long return journey, I would honestly look for an automatic; especially as it will be driven by your parents and that you will keep it for a longer time.

Since the City CVT isn't available - look out for a Toyota Yaris CVT which is better built and arguably better riding though shorter on space.
Check out options on carwale as well.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 21:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Given the 1.25-2 hour long return journey, I would honestly look for an automatic; especially as it will be driven by your parents and that you will keep it for a longer time.

Since the City CVT isn't available - look out for a Toyota Yaris CVT which is better built and arguably better riding though shorter on space.
Check out options on carwale as well.
Will check it out. That’s how I ended up choosing an automatic so will consider Yaris as well. But my parents would be only sparsely driving it and I will be the primary driver.

Though they prefer old school manuals only.
Old 21st March 2023, 21:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

At this point you need to take a decision on the comfort vs fun. I've driven the 4th gen CVT and it's nowhere near an amt or dct during enthusiastic driving. That's why i didn't suggest the CVT. It's extremely comfortable and relaxing with smooth shifts, but even in sport mode, it's not going to raise anybody's pulse. That's reserved for the MT. Try driving both and decide.

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st March 2023 at 21:45.
Old 22nd March 2023, 00:17   #29
BHPian

From the moment that I booked the manual TD in the afternoon, a CVT has been on my mind as well. While booking the N Line DCT, the comfort of the DCT automatic sold me (ofc the turbo engine being the only Enthusiast’s option in the Indian market).

Finally found one a few minutes back on OLX but I am not so sure really. It is a little out of budget but not like I am finding any other CVTs in budget as it is.
That said, about 8L for a City VX CVT from 2018 with 40k kms; I don’t think it will get much better in terms of price vs ODO reading, considering on-road must’ve been around 14 at the time.

Any obvious red flags to look for when buying a pre-used City CVT?
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Standard stuff. Have a mech look it over for signs of bodywork. Check service history. Tyre condition, if it's a touch screen stereo that's probably dying too. A new touch screen stereo is 25k and you'll lose the call buttons on the steering wheel. Most of the city i test drove when looking for my relative had suspension shot.My workshop said that would be 60k for an overhaul. Plus some of them had more nvh than the others. I paid 11l for a 50k 2017 zx CVT in KL. KL market is inflated and the car has an expensive ice setup etc. Also CVT are in demand in the market so be prepared to pay a premium - which you may not get when you sell it.

Then the standard stuff - People pretending to be the owners, rc book not matching owners name, hypothecation. There is a thread here somewhere

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd March 2023 at 12:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks