Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2023, 17:42   #1
BHPian

The car and bike upgrade dilemma!

Hello BHPians.
I have been an avid follower of Team Bhp for quite long and has been a member too for the last few years too. I have often seen how the people in this forum have helped out other confused Bhpians out there and even I have tried my best. Today I stand in the place of one of those confused soul! This is going to be a bit complicated confusion!

So I will start with the garage so that you get a fair idea: 2016 Kawasaki Ninja 300(15k kms), 2017 Scross 1.6 with stage 1 wolf remap(75k kms), 2018 Hyundai Tucson AWD(70k kms), 2020 Skoda Octavia TDI DSG L&K(50k kms), 2022 RE Meteor 350(2.5k kms)
These vehicles are shared between my parents and myself where in one car and one bike are used by me and my wife and two cars and one bike stay with my parents. Both my wife and myself and my dad loves road trips and that is quite evident by the choice of our cars and the kms we have run. I am a govt employee and am located in the north, quite far from my house in Kerala and we do a north-south and back road trip at least once in a year.
Currently, The I am using the Tucson and the Ninja and my parents are using the Octavia and the Scross where in all the longer trips are done in the Octavia and the Scross is used for only short trips.
In the coming two to three years, my wife and self are planning to move abroad and that means we will definitely have to reduce the size of our garage.
I hope I have explained the present situation as clearly as possible
Now here is the dilemma!
1. I want to upgrade from the Ninja 300 to and adv because it is absolutely uncomfortable for my wife for even moderate distance rides. However, both me and my wife agree that it will be done by sacrificing one of the cars(and of course the ninja 300) as we do not want to put in fresh money as we will be moving abroad and as such, we will have to sell one of the cars! We are looking at a new Versys 650 or something used in that price range.
2. The Tucson is the least favoured car in our garage primarily because of its 'relatively low fuel efficiency and my mom gets road sickness inside it because of Hyundai's claustrophobic design in the rear and the low set front passenger seat which cannot be adjusted. From a drivers point of view for my dad and self, it is the least engaging to drive. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful car, however, it cannot match the Octavia in anything other than ground clearance and rear seat comfort(yes it has more comfortable reclinable seats at the rear, but high window line and low set seats which makes it a problem for claustrophobic people. I like the Tucson rear seats more than Octavia and so does my dad. However, we rarely sit in the rear!).
3. However, as I tried to sell the Tucson, I realized that it has barely any resale value in north India( my Tucson is HP registered) and transferring to south will increase the costs significantly. For the price we were getting, it did not make sense to sell it. It even has extended warranty till Sep 2023, but no one cares!
3. The next choice was the Scross. The 1.6 has a pretty good demand amongst the enthusiasts out there and the Scross ads got us quite a lot of enquiries and few deals are almost in the pipeline. However, my only problem with selling the Scross is this : "IT WOULD BE THE LAST GOOD TO DRIVE MANUAL CAR THAT I OWNED!" I love driving manuals, but not for very long trips.
4. The Octavia is absolutely not for sale anytime soon. It is the car that is unanimously loved by everyone in the family and outside the family and anyone who have ever travelled or driven it. The only cars that equally satisfies the drivers, the passengers, the one who packs a lot, the safety conscious, the ones who loves quality interiors, the fuel efficiency conscious and when required, the performance conscious people.
5. We were also looking for a good car to upgrade from the Tucson, however unable to find anything below 50 lakhs and therefore I do not think it will be possible. We have left this idea.

So the query is how do I go about the upgrade?
Should i sell the Scross and get a bike or should I keep the car and manage money from other sources?
What is a good upgrade from the Tucson? AWD is not a requirement. We did check out the Hycross, but the interiors put me off!. Here are the permutations and combinations the I worked out:
1. Sell the cross, get the bike, use it and sell both the Tucson and the bike when we move abroad and with that money, get a small car for my parents. In this case, till we move abroad, the octavia will have to handle the entire four wheeler workload in the house which is not of an issue. However, any small car that we get is not going to match the driving pleasure of the Scross.
2. Keep the Scross, get the bike on EMIs, Sell the bike and Tucson and pay of the remaining loan as we move abroad. In this way, I will be able to retain my only manual car in the garage. However, the same cannot be done immediately as that would mean using the Cross as my primary car for the next two years which is not possible.
I am confused and would love to hear suggestions from fellow BHPians. I have countless threads where in people are finding hard to upgrade their cars, but here I am with 3 cars which are very very hard to upgrade from!!!!
robby0707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:02   #2
BHPian

Re: The car and bike upgrade dilemma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0707 View Post
Hello BHPians.

2. Keep the Scross, get the bike on EMIs, Sell the bike and Tucson and pay of the remaining loan as we move abroad. In this way, I will be able to retain my only manual car in the garage. However, the same cannot be done immediately as that would mean using the Cross as my primary car for the next two years which is not possible.
You are supposed to sell the Tucson after two years when moving abroad, so why will you need to use to the Cross for two years ?
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

If you cannot use the S-Cross as your primary car for the next two years, then there is no debate here. That said, I'd prefer to sell the Tucson as you already have the Octavia for longer drives. The S-Cross should serve you well. Get the bike and if need be, sell off the S-Cross when you leave India. The Tucson will fetch you even less in years to come. The S-Cross will hold its value better.

Regarding an upgrade for the Tucson, have you had a look at the Skoda Kodiaq? It's an extremely capable mile muncher with quality components.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
You are supposed to sell the Tucson after two years when moving abroad, so why will you need to use to the Cross for two years ?
I said, the same cannot be done immediately. That is, if i sell the tucson immediately to finance the bike, then i have to use the Cross as a primary car!
Old 14th March 2023, 12:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
If you cannot use the S-Cross as your primary car for the next two years, then there is no debate here. That said, I'd prefer to sell the Tucson as you already have the Octavia for longer drives. The S-Cross should serve you well. Get the bike and if need be, sell off the S-Cross when you leave India. The Tucson will fetch you even less in years to come. The S-Cross will hold its value better.

Regarding an upgrade for the Tucson, have you had a look at the Skoda Kodiaq? It's an extremely capable mile muncher with quality components.
Yes. Even i prefer to sell the Tucson rather than the Cross. The Cross serves as an excellent secondary car and also serves us when my wife and self are visiting home. Its is also the easiest car to drive in kerala traffic due to its capability to quickly close gaps and overtake in a flash.
Fuel efficiency is the only problem we are seeing with the kodiaq. We had huge hopes on the hycross but interiors were a huge let off.
I ve checked out the new tucson, tiguan, meridian, current octavia and superb, even looking at used 530Ds. A cross over is not a mandate. But a good/okay to drive car with decent fuel efficiency is.
Old 14th March 2023, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I said, the same cannot be done immediately. That is, if i sell the tucson immediately to finance the bike, then i have to use the Cross as a primary car!
Then there is no point in going for option 2, you have to sell the cross and get your bike. When you will be moving abroad, sell the Tucson and get a new CSUV for your parents, Taigun maybe.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 17:00   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

If you are looking at used 530ds, let me tell you that:
1) BMW has gone full woke and will no longer sell 530d. The cars running in the country is all we have

2) You'd be surprised how efficient an M57/N57/B57 engine can be. Let's not talk about driving dynamics because we already know how good that is

P.S. If you have the budget, try looking at 2016+ F25 X3 30d and 2014+ F15 X5 30d (the former being obscenely expensive) if a crossover is desired
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 22:42   #8
BHPian

Some more clarification might help us here to recommend you out of your confusion.

1. Why do you need 2 cars with your parents when you relocate to abroad?
2. I assume that you are having 2 cars (S-Cross and Octavia) with your parents now because you need a full time independent car when you and your wife visit Kerala during vacations and holidays - correct me if I am wrong.
3. What is the purpose of having 2 bikes at different places, unless the bike in KL is used by your father?
4. What is stopping you to use the S-Cross (I am also assuming that it is 1.6 DDiS) as your primary car now? Of course, only other than the registration issue if you are going to use it in other state.

Please note that whatever option you choose now, in 2-3 years by the time you move abroad, there will be handful of options available in both ICE as well as EV forms to replace any car in your garage (Even Octavia for that matter). So S-Cross should be easily replaceable down the line.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 02:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Surprised you couldn't find any takers for the Tucson even in this seller's market. How much did you price it at and where did you try to sell it?
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 00:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Some more clarification might help us here to recommend you out of your confusion.

1. Why do you need 2 cars with your parents when you relocate to abroad?
2. I assume that you are having 2 cars (S-Cross and Octavia) with your parents now because you need a full time independent car when you and your wife visit Kerala during vacations and holidays - correct me if I am wrong.
3. What is the purpose of having 2 bikes at different places, unless the bike in KL is used by your father?
4. What is stopping you to use the S-Cross (I am also assuming that it is 1.6 DDiS) as your primary car now? Of course, only other than the registration issue if you are going to use it in other state.

Please note that whatever option you choose now, in 2-3 years by the time you move abroad, there will be handful of options available in both ICE as well as EV forms to replace any car in your garage (Even Octavia for that matter). So S-Cross should be easily replaceable down the line.
1. 2 cars are needed as the octavia cannot be used as a primary car for short runs primarily due to the size, parking issues, and people having to scratch good looking cars with whatever they find
2. No. My dad is using both the cars. As I’ve said above. Whenever it is a short trip/ trip without mom, he takes the Scross.
3. Yes. Both of us ride.
4. Because we travel a lot. And when we travel, the car almost becomes our second home. We do drives averaging 12 hrs a day. Both me and my wife drive. We need an automatic for such trips as there have times where we have been stuck in traffic for more than 4 hrs. Also, the general comfort level in the cross is a bit less than what we would like. It is an amazing driver’s car. I love dashing through the winding roads and overtaking with a small jab at the A pedal on kerala roads.
PS : i do not think there will be any car that can replace the octavia. I don’t think there is any car right now that can match all its qualities in the near price bracket.
Old 20th March 2023, 00:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Surprised you couldn't find any takers for the Tucson even in this seller's market. How much did you price it at and where did you try to sell it?
Its registered in HP
I posted it in both Bangalore and Delhi. Hardly any takers as it is BS4 in the north. It had good demand in Bangalore. But re registration will take approx 3.2 lakhs. I had priced it quite realistically. I’ll DM you.
Old 21st March 2023, 15:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
1. 2 cars are needed as the octavia cannot be used as a primary car for short runs primarily due to the size, parking issues, and people having to scratch good looking cars with whatever they find
2. No. My dad is using both the cars. As I’ve said above. Whenever it is a short trip/ trip without mom, he takes the Scross.
3. Yes. Both of us ride.
4. Because we travel a lot. And when we travel, the car almost becomes our second home. We do drives averaging 12 hrs a day. Both me and my wife drive. We need an automatic for such trips as there have times where we have been stuck in traffic for more than 4 hrs. Also, the general comfort level in the cross is a bit less than what we would like. It is an amazing driver’s car. I love dashing through the winding roads and overtaking with a small jab at the A pedal on kerala roads.
PS : i do not think there will be any car that can replace the octavia. I don’t think there is any car right now that can match all its qualities in the near price bracket.
Your situation and ask are both quite delicate and complex.
In this case, since anyway you will have to continue with your Tucson (as you live in the north) as well as SCross (since you need a primary small car), your only option is to get the new bike in EMI and when you move abroad, sell the bike and the Tucson and foreclose the loan. So that you still have the same 2 cars and 1 bike at home. In 2-3 (by 2026) years, the EV cars in India will have multitude of options available. Yes, Octavia cannot be replaced (for that matter even SCross 1.6D) with the options available now. But in future (2-3 years) it will definitely be possible (may be even with another Octavia).
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 14:03   #13
BHPian

Sell the Tucson, take the depreciation hit and get a preowned Versys 650. YOLO. You could manage with the SCross - do not sell it no matter what. It is one hot hatch you can enjoy for the last years you are in india - your parents will find it easier to drive the Scross rather than the Octavia later on.
Old 13th April 2023, 23:18   #14
BHPian

Update:
Finally, with a heavy heart, i have sold the Scross 1.6
and booked the BS6 phase 2 updated versys. Awaiting delivery next week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks