Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:40   #1

Need recommendations for a new daily driver car | Kind of flexible budget between 20 - 60 lakhs

I need a new daily driver car that will be driven by a driver and often by me too. I have to apologize as I was always into cars but my knowledge is pretty limited.

I'll never need to seat more than 4 people and the luggage space can be standard.
I want it to be comfortable, efficient, and reliable as you would expect from a daily driver.
I want it to have decent ground clearance and good suspension to be able to handle typically rough Indian roads without breaking a sweat but I don't necessarily need it to be a gigantic SUV. I just don't want to worry about my driver running over potholes every time.
Bonus points for a unique and cool design, which can be subjective.
Bonus points for the latest tech and useful features.
Bonus points for good power and performance. I will drive it and I definitely will appreciate a fun drive.

I don't have a very specific budget. I am willing to pay for value. Whether the car is 20 Lakh or 60 Lakh, I will consider it if it proves to be worth the price.

I have so far considered the VW Virtus and Taigun. I like them because the GT versions come with a nice 1.5 TSI engine and they look pretty cool to me. They fall within a pretty decent price range as well. I am sort of leaning toward the Taigun as I already have a sedan and I assume the crossover will handle rough roads better.

I am also open to EVs but I've found it difficult to justify their price jump when you consider that I don't commute far or travel around THAT much. I have taken a look at the Kia EV6 and the Hyundai Ioniq 5, both of which I thought were pretty cool but I don't know about those prices. I can afford them but at 50-60Lakh, I find the value proposition to be questionable. What exactly am I paying for and why do people consider these "Value for money"?
Blaze_Kazama is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need recommendations for a new daily driver car | Kind of flexible budget between 20 - 60 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze_Kazama View Post
I can afford them but at 50-60Lakh, I find the value proposition to be questionable. What exactly am I paying for and why do people consider these "Value for money"?
The cars <30 lakhs or in the whereabouts is all one can need. Be it in terms of power (do you need more than 150 - 200 BHP ever), space, safety, features etcs. You can justify cars under 30-lakhs based on "need". Anything over 35 lakhs is more about "want" & "desire".

You seem to be a "head over heart" guy. In that case, go for the Taigun and you'll be very happy. Bonus points if you get the 1.5L turbo-petrol which will make you giggle on the open road.

If you want to splurge, get the Ioniq 5, Tucson or wait for the next-gen Carnival. I think you'll really enjoy being chauffeur-driven in any of these (the Ioniq will be a blast to drive too).
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 00:47   #3
BHPian

Re: Need recommendations for a new daily driver car | Kind of flexible budget between 20 - 60 lakhs

As GTO said, your purchase would most like end up to be "head over heart", basis my recommendation:

1. Kodiaq/Tiguan - Super comfy, safe, mental to drive (if driven), otherwise efficient and a no nonsense vehicle.
2. Tucson - Same reasons as the Kodiaq
3. XUV700

To spice things, you may want to look at:
1. Q2 40 TFSI
2. Countryman
3. Pre-Owned Endeavour
4. Wrangler
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The cars <30 lakhs or in the whereabouts is all one can need. Be it in terms of power (do you need more than 150 - 200 BHP ever), space, safety, features etcs. You can justify cars under 30-lakhs based on "need". Anything over 35 lakhs is more about "want" & "desire".

You seem to be a "head over heart" guy. In that case, go for the Taigun and you'll be very happy. Bonus points if you get the 1.5L turbo-petrol which will make you giggle on the open road.

If you want to splurge, get the Ioniq 5, Tucson or wait for the next-gen Carnival. I think you'll really enjoy being chauffeur-driven in any of these (the Ioniq will be a blast to drive too).
Thank you for your quick and helpful reply. I appreicate your insight and yes, you may be right about me. I just want to make a mostly logical and informative decision here. There are times when my desires get the better of me but not today. I will move to the US in the next 5-6 years and the list of cool cars available to me will expand exponentially. That will be the day for an unwise financial decision.

I do think the Taigun will work great for my purposes but something just bothers me and I just cannot deny the cool tech features, looks and EV efficiency that the Ioniq 5 offers. Say I decided to splurge and pay double to get the Ioniq 5 instead, what part of my experience will be elevated compared to owning the Taigun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
As GTO said, your purchase would most like end up to be "head over heart", basis my recommendation
Thanks a lot for your input. I'll take a closer look at all your suggestions. What might be the advantage of getting a Kodiaq/Tiguan over the smaller Taigun? I don't have very lofty space requirements and I do need to drive it around the city often so wouldn't a smaller corssover serve my purposes better?

Last edited by Aditya : 26th March 2023 at 21:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Blaze_Kazama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 15:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:

I do think the Taigun will work great for my purposes but something just bothers me and I just cannot deny the cool tech features, looks and EV efficiency that the Ioniq 5 offers. Say I decided to splurge and pay double to get the Ioniq 5 instead, what part of my experience will be elevated compared to owning the Taigun?
I think Taigun ticks most of the boxes. Ioniq 5 is a beautiful and futuristic car(exterior as well as interior) but it has only 163mm ground clearance and I'm not sure what kind of value will the EV possess after 5-6 years, considering it's almost a 50 lac car. Oh and to keep that interiors pristine will be a pain for sure.
Old 24th March 2023, 20:19   #6
BHPian

Do take a look at the Toyota Hybrids. The Camry makes for the perfect chauffeur-driven car. I’ve been driven around in the back of both the Camry/ES for 2hr+city commutes and I was totally relaxed.

A wildcard could be the City Hybrid. All the car you’ll ever need and it’s priced at the absolute rock bottom of your budget.

If you’re open to the pre-owned market, you can get a ~2018 GLE. We own that car and call it the ‘sofa’ of our garage. It’s a pretty decent car to drive as well.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 21:37   #7
BHPian

Since it's going to be a daily that would switch between the driver and you. My recommendation would be to look at the Suzuki Grand Vitara or the Hyrider- in the smart hybrid variants.

Both these cars are comfortable. The added joy for someone who really doesn't want performance is the Fuel Economy. Expect anywhere between 25-30 kmpl in city- and they are silent!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th March 2023 at 14:50. Reason: spacing
Old 26th March 2023, 10:21   #8
BHPian

If you are not in a hurry to make a purchase then you can also weight for the upcoming mid sized hybrid suv of honda. It will be in the same category as the taigun but more efficient. There's also the option of GLA diesel or XC 40 Recharge which are compact and punchy. But it's better to stay on <30L category of cars as of now as the permium non electrics like GLA are most likely to make you cross your 60L budget in post purchase expenses.
Mahin_P21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 10:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I need a new daily driver car that will be driven by a driver and often by me too. I have to apologize as I was always into cars but my knowledge is pretty limited.
Most of your requirements are being fulfilled by cars under 25 lacs. Please do not go beyond 30 lacs, as anything in that space just screams depreciation.

I would suggest you take a look at the Nexon. IMO the Nexon would give you a good proposition here due to its suspension setup, and adequate features (heck, if Tata had given Nexon the big touchscreen and 360 camera). Both the ICE and EV versions have adequate power and ample space, so I would suggest you please take a look at the Tata showroom.

The only caveat here is if you find a good and competent dealership and service center, and IMO it is not as difficult as many people say. I own a Tata car and (Touchwood) it hasn't broken down in the middle of the road, nor have I ever faced issues with insurance, service center, etc.
Old 26th March 2023, 20:53   #10
BHPian

I use a 2022 GLA 220d as my daily driver and I d happily recommend the car as an all rounder that is punchy, compact and effortless to drive in the city, fuel efficient, spacious for 4 with an interior that feels special every time.

You could also consider the Skoda Kodiaq which I find it a tad large but terrific value or a VW Tiguan in your considerations.
Old 27th March 2023, 06:31   #11
BHPian

VW Tiguan
The VW Taigun has come up as a recommendation a few times above, but the slightly larger Tiguan 5 seater would be more of the same - bigger engine, more roomy interiors, more boot space - without being too big like the Kodiaq.
Moreover, the Tiguan is an international model, perhaps the largest selling SUV in Europe, and has had all its niggles sorted out. (We still get to periodically hear about niggles in the smaller Taigun).
Would be a very sensible purchase.
The Swiss buy it in huge numbers - and I think they are sensible.
Sumain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 18:11   #12
BHPian

If your heart is already set for Taigun/Kushaq, then go for it without a second thought. VW/Skodas 6 years warranty can save you from any negative surprises till you relocate. You only job is to have fun with the car.

On the other hand, since you've also mentioned that you are ready to take a splurge, Ioniq 5 will also serve you well for the next 5-6 years. Please note that Ioniq 5 is a global model and is the face of Hyundai (even globally) - so it will always be a better car and experience than the Taigun in India. One of the best EVs you can get in the market today. Some of the PLUS (that I can think of) of Ioniq 5 over a Taigun (even though it is not an apple to apple comparison) are
1. Driving experience - silent, silent and silent in the I5
2. Premiumness, space, polarising looks, build quality, fit and finish, technology, are better in I5 because it is a CKD.
3. Performance - I5 is miles ahead in performance than the Taigun. But handling is more comfort oriented in the I5 than Taigun.
4. Significantly better ASS experience of Hyundai in India
5. Finally, cost of running. The more aggressive you are (the more fun you need) the more thirsty the Taigun is. Of course I5 is also similar. But cost per km is significantly lower in the I5 over Taigun.

Whether I5 is twice worth than the Taigun, YES it is.
Old 28th March 2023, 18:51   #13

I would suggest that don't stretch your budget beyond the ₹25 lakhs mark because the cars below that mark pretty much offer everything that you're looking for.

Some cars in this price bracket are the Koreans - Hyundai's Venue and Creta, and Kia's Sonet and Seltos. But with all the gimmicky features they have , I feel that such features always come with a hidden compromise in other aspects of the car - the ones that truly matter - such as the build quality and safety which go hand in hand. And since nowadays Tata and Volkswagen are synonymous with safety I would anyday prefer and suggest these two over the Korean lineup. That leaves us with the Taigun and the Nexon
Tata Nexon costs a bit less than the Taigun and considering the VFM quotient, it's great product overall with more than enough spacious interiors and considering the reels about Nexons in road accidents that keep surfacing over the internet, the Nexon does look like a mini tank in disguise.
However, if I were in your place I would have gone with the Taigun - it's a no-brainer because be it
performance,
comfort ,
the visual appeal or
the safety and build quality - I don't think there will be any compromise whatsoever when it comes to a car like Taigun. Volkswagen Taigun indeed sounds like the perfect choice to me , especially the top of the line GT version which offers a sensational performance and add to it the unparalleled German build quality so that's what I'd suggest you to go for.
Old 28th March 2023, 19:32   #14
BANNED

The budget proposition is weird at the least. Hence, is my suggestion.

I can comment on the "driver" part from my experience. Whatever car it may be, you would loose interest to drive it, once your driver handles it for some period of time. Also, you would not like the experience on the back seat of a high GC car, when your driver is having a blast cornering it on pothole laden city roads.

I would rather suggest you to go for 2 cars. Get a car to be driven by chauffeur which is rather subtle on performance and excellent on comfort and one for you to have all the fun.
Of-course, I assume you have place to park 2 cars.

Quote:
I need a new daily driver car that will be driven by a driver and often by me too.
Old 28th March 2023, 23:03   #15
BHPian

From the information you gave. i feel the Innova twins would be a perfect fit. You'll most probably have the best customer service. Both of them, especially Hycross is very comfortable to be Chauffeured in. Finally, when you sell it, the depreciation hit is going to be very minimal. Have them with captain seats. I feel that'll be the most logical, but a bit boring choice. If you want something that's a little more exciting go with XUV 700. The tech and engine performance combo is unmatched.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks