Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 23:08   #1

What car to replace an Audi A4 2.0 TDI? Dad loves to drive on the highway

Hello BHPians,

This is my first post yes, but I have been an avid reader of most threads on here for a long time. I have been a member for a couple of years now but have stuck to being a keen observer. Planning to change that now. Anyhow, a bit of the back story, our family garage consists of 3 cars, a B8.5 Audi A4, a Polo 1.5 TDI and a Tata Tiago AMT. The Polo and the Tiago have been recent acquisitions, the former pre worshipped and the latter bought new. The polo is solely used by me as a daily project and is currently running a stage 2 setup (thread in the works).

Coming to the point, we got the Scuba Blue A4 new in 2016 and there's no denying the fact that its still a gem of a car. The 2.0 TDI mated to the CR177 turbo brings a smile to the face every time you put the pedal to the metal. The CVT tranny is the only limiting factor in my opinion. But leaving the performance aside, the car has started to show its age. Its been a reliable workhorse nearing 100k KM's and I feel an update is due. The car is used by my father for mostly highway runs and some city runs as well. And he's rarely chauffeured in it as he loves driving (Like father like son). So now the question is, what next?

I had my eyes on a Porsche Macan S diesel (pre worshipped) or an R4, but him having driven sedans all his life (for context, he owned a MK1 Octy VRS for 10 years before we got the A4), seems to be very against owning a Crossover or an SUV. He clearly stated, "Let's get a sedan itself, I don't want a big car". We tried the BMW route as well, but he doesn't really seem to be a fan of the brand, not sure why. We also test drove the new C220 D, but with the absurd prices they are quoting for a C class, seems really out of budget. So yes, I am open to any and all suggestions. Preferably something post 2019-2020, a sedan that could be a sensible upgrade from an A4, and something that won't take away the pure pleasure of driving the 2.0 TDI. Maybe too much to ask for but let's see shall we

Attaching pictures of the TDI twins down below as well

What car to replace an Audi A4 2.0 TDI? Dad loves to drive on the highway-a4.jpg
The beauty

What car to replace an Audi A4 2.0 TDI? Dad loves to drive on the highway-polo.jpg
and the stage 2 beast
highcommand-GT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 12:13   #2
BHPian

Re: What car to replace an Audi A4 2.0 TDI? Dad loves to drive on the highway

Getting a pre owned 530D or E350d would be a good upgrade.
If you wanna go the petrol route then a lot of M340i’s have also come on sale, imo it’s a no nonsense performance master and if your budget allows you should definitely try getting one.
Jatin247 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 19:57   #3

Hi, thanks for sharing. Much cleaner than my A7!!

Its funny I am in a similar situation in terms of upgrading but I am, for whatever reason, thinking EV - Is this an option for you?

Depending on budget and how comfortable you are with it I think a 3-4 year old A4 (e.g. 3-4yr old A4s) are similarly priced to an A6 plug-in hybrid version (e.g. a6 hybrid)

Interested to know hour thoughts. The Q5 phev is nice but a bit more expensive and I think you could get an A3 EV for quite a bit less.

Oh also sorry I should have asked - Is the A4 an automatic?

Last edited by bblost : 15th April 2023 at 21:46. Reason: back to back.
Mart65 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 15:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcommand-GT View Post
I had my eyes on a Porsche Macan S diesel (pre worshipped) or an R4, but him having driven sedans all his life (for context, he owned a MK1 Octy VRS for 10 years before we got the A4), seems to be very against owning a Crossover or an SUV. He clearly stated, "Let's get a sedan itself, I don't want a big car". We tried the BMW route as well, but he doesn't really seem to be a fan of the brand, not sure why. We also test drove the new C220 D, but with the absurd prices they are quoting for a C class, seems really out of budget.
How about taking your father for a test drive of that Macan S? Might change his mind .

I've done complete 180s on my well researched views and personal opinions of a car after only a few minutes behind the wheel of said car.
lordrayden is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 16:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
How about taking your father for a test drive of that Macan S? Might change his mind .

I've done complete 180s on my well researched views and personal opinions of a car after only a few minutes behind the wheel of said car.
I completely agree with the part about doing a 180 after driving a car.
The Macan S is a capable car, and if you can get your father to test drive it, I'm sure he won't miss anything that your current A4 offers him.

Also, if you're not stuck on a deisel car, the current A4 is an excellent VFM proposition.
Old 17th April 2023, 16:52   #6

Quote:
and the stage 2 beast
Hey, a bit off-topic (apologies), but could you share details of those alloys on the Polo? They look great! Thanks!
Old 17th April 2023, 18:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshathmithal View Post
Hey, a bit off-topic (apologies), but could you share details of those alloys on the Polo? They look great! Thanks!
Those are 16-inch "Spider" wheels from the MK1 Skoda Octavia RS. It's a common mod on many Polos here in Kerala.
What car to replace an Audi A4 2.0 TDI? Dad loves to drive on the highway-dsc_1636t.jpg

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 17th April 2023 at 18:38.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 22:16   #8
rGT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart65 View Post

Depending on budget and how comfortable you are with it I think a 3-4 year old A4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Audi doesn't have PHEV versions of either the Q5 or the A6 in India. Also, does an A3 EV even exist?

Yes, the A4 is an automatic, CVT to be precise. In fact, the B8 (B8.5) gen A4 2.0 TDI was only offered with a CVT in India.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th April 2023 at 22:48. Reason: Fixed quote.
rGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 23:35   #9
BHPian

How about a used B9 A4 35 TDI have one at the family for more than 4 years now reaching the 40k mark and trust me the DSG makes a world of difference when compared to the old one’s CVT ,have driven both and the dual clutch is the only gearbox that can do justice to the 400 nm torque of the 2.0 diesel in the B9.The only downside one may feel is that with every generation change these cars go up in size the A3 becomes the A4 and the A4 to A6 size and so on the old A4 and the A3 was in my opinion the perfect size for being a daily,it’s just my 2 cents but I think for a person who has been driving the old model for long the new one might feel a little too big.
Old 18th April 2023, 22:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart65 View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing. Much cleaner than my A7!!

Its funny I am in a similar situation in terms of upgrading but I am, for whatever reason, thinking EV - Is this an option for you?

Depending on budget and how comfortable you are with it I think a 3-4 year old A4 (e.g. 3-4yr old A4s) are similarly priced to an A6 plug-in hybrid version (e.g. a6 hybrid)

Interested to know hour thoughts. The Q5 phev is nice but a bit more expensive and I think you could get an A3 EV for quite a bit less.

Oh also sorry I should have asked - Is the A4 an automatic?
I'm sorry but as fellow Bhpian rGT said, I don't believe PHEV versions of those cars have been released in India just yet. And anyhow going the EV route here in Kerala, India isn't really plausible given the lack of infrastructure in remote places while going on long trips, but yes the availability of charging stations here have improved by quite a bit in the past couple years. I believe an EV for city runs and trips to nearby urban cities makes absolute sense but that's not the case with most trips for my father. Thank you for your input though

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post

I have driven the older Macan S diesel and yes that was a joy to drive. But finding pre-loved ones are near impossible I guess after being on the look out for one for months now. I will take you up on your suggestion on taking him for a test drive though, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshathmithal View Post
Hello akshathmithal, yup like Bhpian Shreyfiesta said, those are the wheels from the MK1 Octy VRS. It was a bit hard to come by but in my opinion, it is one of the best wheels you can get on a Polo. It looks so good and so OEM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwRabbit View Post
How about a used B9 A4 35 TDI have one at the family for more than 4 years now reaching the 40k mark and trust me the DSG makes a world of difference when compared to the old one’s CVT ,have driven both and the dual clutch is the only gearbox that can do justice to the 400 nm torque of the 2.0 diesel in the B9.The only downside one may feel is that with every generation change these cars go up in size the A3 becomes the A4 and the A4 to A6 size and so on the old A4 and the A3 was in my opinion the perfect size for being a daily,it’s just my 2 cents but I think for a person who has been driving the old model for long the new one might feel a little too big.
Hey VwRabbit, but moving to another A4 doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me, its just another flavour of the same drink . Thanks for your input though!
Old 23rd April 2023, 20:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:

So yes, I am open to any and all suggestions. Preferably something post 2019-2020, a sedan that could be a sensible upgrade from an A4, and something that won't take away the pure pleasure of driving the 2.0 TDI. Maybe too much to ask for but let's see shall we
So if you are open to diesel route then best recommendations would be 530d or E350d Pre owned. Both these are best what a diesel engine can offer with the Merc providing better comfort levels since it has rear air suspension.

If you want to go down the rev happy Petrol route then you should have a look at A6 and S5. Since your father didn’t approve of the BMW and you wanted Porsche like handling so my pick would be towards the S5. Bhpian @Animeshc too owns it and has used it extensively for road trips.
Do keep us updated about your decision
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 15:34   #12
BHPian

How about G30 530d or 530i, Macan S is a solid choice too. Going for a torquey diesel to a petrol can sometimes feel like a downgrade unless the engine is a solid one. In terms of an upgrade you should definitely move to 530d or E350d or Macan / Panamera. Choices are limited if only sedan’s are preferred. My pick would be a G30 530D, 3L 6 cylinder diesel with insane torque and ZF gearbox. Best of all worlds.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2023 at 16:41. Reason: Capitalisation in car's make / model. Thanks.
Old 19th May 2023, 17:03   #13
BHPian

Rare to find an Audi fan in the sea of BMWs and Mercs and I’m not surprised. I myself was a BMW fan and have owned a 530d in past and then moved on to Audi S5 and what an upgrade it was! That car made me fall in love with the brand due to its quattro stability and suspension which is a boon on Indian roads. In comparison the other germans offer much harsher ride and ground clearance issues!

A sedan guy will always remain a sedan guy and i never gave upon that and after owing an Audi sedan it has truly showed how indian roads friendly their sedans are!

So i see where your father is coming from and based on his preferences I wholeheartedly recommend the new Audi A6 as a natural upgrade. It’s buttery smooth and it’s high revving engine will surely excite your family. You can expect some attractive discounts from the dealership as well!

PS. Ever since i have upgraded from S5 to RS7 and trust me it can go to places where taking an M5 would give jitters! So you can see how much one can be invested in this brand if you put your trust in it!
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 18:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Get yourself a 2020 mercedes C 300d. RWD 250 hp diesel with decent fuel economy and great fun to drive. Also gets adaptive LEDs, electric adjust for the steering, memory seats including headrest and underthigh. 2020+ models come with fully digital cockpit and massaging seats.

However, if a petrol FWD isn't a deal breaker, you can also go for the volvo S90 or S60. Both very well loaded cars that look great, decently reliable and worth nothing in the 2nd hand market.
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are able to get a Macan, nothing like it!
At home too, dad was an all out sedan person. But a few bad monsoons and roads - got him to consider a Tiguan for road trips and today that's pretty much all he uses!

The Macan could be a great choice compared to any other sedan out there -
1. More compact than equivalent sedan
2. It's a Porsche - it will be more engaging to drive than most of the sedans out there
3. More abuse friendly than most of the sedans out there : big speed breakers, potholes, etc. Most sedans come with low profile tyres with space savers : a big issue for touring and highway driving.

If nothing else works, I would seriously consider the current gen A6 - by far the most practical all rounder choice out there (brilliant interiors, good performance, good ride and handling, practical with no low profile tyres and usable boot, etc.), followed by the 530D / 530i which are undoubtedly the enthusiast choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks