Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 10:35   #1
BHPian

Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months

Hi everyone,

I have been a silent spectator over the past few years reading threads on various cars. Our family has never owned a car. I initially went for driving lessons and obtained my license before COVID and consequently delayed purchasing due to COVID and unavailability of parking space.

Fast track 2 years later, I am now facing trouble with a slip disc and have completely stopped driving my bike. It is time to purchase a car now.

Initially I thought of getting a second hand car to learn driving and then get a new car maybe 1-2 years later. But seeing the pricing in the second hand market, I am preferring to buy a new one itself given that it will be my first car and also tending towards this since I don't know anyone who is very technically knowledgeable to help me verify a second hand car (afraid of being scammed).

I want to test drive cars and then finally zero down on something since both my wife and I would be driving. I am thinking of renting a car for say 3 months to learn driving properly before I can TD and then finalise the car. I can see only Revv to be a good option where I can see a Santro (manual, petrol) for about 25k per month for 3 months. Is 3 months sufficient or should I look at 6 months as I have been reading that most popular cars have a long wait time. Is there any other better option in Ashok Nagar, Chennai. Also, looking for some contacts (like drivers) who can give me driving lessons for a few days before I get a hang of things.

Secondly, I also request the community for inputs on the car options. I am 5'11 and having a budget of about 10L OTR. It will be mostly city driving and definitely trips over weekends, vacations, etc. since both of us are interested in driving as well as travelling. Further, I would prefer a car with good ground clearance and high seating since it may affect my disc issue (no to cars like indica), should have good service support as SCs tend to cheat customers by replacing parts unnecessarily.

Thanks if advance for all the inputs
WiseFool is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 13:16   #2
BANNED

Re: Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
looking for some contacts (like drivers) who can give me driving lessons for a few days before I get a hang of things.
I do not see a need for a rental car, just to learn driving. Look for the nearest Maruti driving school. I am learning from them since last 20+ days and pretty comfortable already on road with 4 more on-road classes to go. Costed me 6K.

https://www.marutisuzukidrivingschool.com/

Their curriculum is good with theory classes covering various aspects of CMVR act. Since you are new to driving, Would suggest to look at automatic as your first car based on your budget & preference.
.sushilkumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 13:45   #3
BHPian

Re: Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I do not see a need for a rental car, just to learn driving. Look for the nearest Maruti driving school. I am learning from them since last 20+ days and pretty comfortable already on road with 4 more on-road classes to go. Costed me 6K.

https://www.marutisuzukidrivingschool.com/

Their curriculum is good with theory classes covering various aspects of CMVR act. Since you are new to driving, Would suggest to look at automatic as your first car based on your budget & preference.
Yes but things like bumper to bumper traffic and stuff will take time to learn. I'm preferring manual so that any car any where I'll be able to drive like when traveling or using relatives cars. Plus most cars have a wait period. I may loose touch in the interim while waiting for a car.

Most important is i need a means of transport to office and stuff in the interim period. Anyway let me still look at this as an option.
WiseFool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 13:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

75K is quite a bit to pay to avoid the initial few scratches, etc. plus Revv may give you an abused car to begin with.
Instead, I would recommend finding a pre-owned automatic (for ease of driving given you have slip disc) with decent safety kit and good visibility - a model that is under original warranty (so you can extend it further) and which can be inspected by the authorized service center.
Ideally something like the Jazz.

If you can get something like this for around 8L, keep 2L reserve for touching up the scratches and the like that would accumulate over the first year + any other untoward maintenance cost you should be good!

Also, do practice with a reputed driving school first and then towards the end do a few lessons with their instructor, but in your car for the added comfort.
lamborghini is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Since you already know how to drive a scooter ( Assume your wife also knows ), it should not be very difficult to drive an automatic car.

Would advise you to join any driving school, and then you can buy the best available automatic car as your primary driving is city.
The biggest thing you need to learn in driving school is reversing and parking. Rest of the driving experience is similar or rather easier than riding a two wheeler.

There is definitely no need for you to get a rental car for 3 months.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes but things like bumper to bumper traffic and stuff will take time to learn. I'm preferring manual so that any car any where I'll be able to drive like when traveling or using relatives cars. Plus most cars have a wait period. I may loose touch in the interim while waiting for a car.
Honestly, the world is moving towards automatics and with a slip disc + traffic - an automatic would be a more convenient choice.
Learn to drive on a manual, every once in a while drive a manual from a relative or a rental to keep muscle memory alive - but buy an automatic for the convenience it would offer long term.
lamborghini is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 16:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can see only Revv to be a good option where I can see a Santro (manual, petrol) for about 25k per month for 3 months.
Why do you want to rent a Santro for 75k when you can buy a whole Santro in decent shape for that amount!? You can drive it till you feel confident and buy yourself your dream car. Old cars don't depreciate too much, so you'll be able to sell it off and take a hit of 10-15k tops, or of lucky for the same price as you bought it.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 17:12   #8
BHPian

Second hand cars are expensive. I can see Alto itself starting from 1.5 to 2L. I am preferring manual because i want to learn one. Obviously we will do trips every now and then. Maybe like once a month for short ones like 100-300 km range. The other reason is that manual will be lesser priced than automatic. So i can get a better variant in my budget.
WiseFool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 17:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Go with a used car of 10 years age. You can sell it later for almost the same price. Honda Jazz or Maruti hatch under 4 lakhs. Honda City is also good option. The trick is to look for a very old car with very low mileage - definitely possible for high volume seller cars. Try true value, Honda terrace, etc. so you get cars with genuine mileage and service history.

The problem with new car is that you will invariably receive a lot of scratches and dents which can be hard to digest. You may feel discouraged and quit driving altogether.

Last edited by androdev : 5th May 2023 at 17:52.
androdev is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 17:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Learn to drive a manual at your driving school but buy an automatic when you are buying a car. With your slip disc problems, a manual is the last thing you want to drive in bumper to bumper city traffic.

There are a dearth of automatic cats available in your 10 lakh budget. An AMT will easily fit in. Check out the Baleno/ Glanxa AMTs, Tata Punch AMT, Grand i10 Nios AMT.

You could also check if Honda has any Jazz CVTs in stock.

But buy an automatic. Your left leg will thank you as well.
Dippy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 18:04   #11
BHPian

Car learning through car rental will be very heavy on your wallet. And even then, there might be lot of conditions and clauses that will stop you to explore the learner in you. So it is not a good and right choice.

My suggestions are as follows
Step 1 - Do the first learning through a good car learning center for as long as you and your wife feel 100% confident to take it to the streets all by yourself. Preferably a manual.
Step 2 - Buy a used car for about 2-5 lakhs. Use it for an year or 2 max until you learn the nitty gritties of almost every driving condition/scenario. Preferably a manual again. You can go with reputed used car dealers like Cars24, Spinny, TrueValue, Hyundai Promise, etc to save/limit yourself from scams and cheating.
Step 3 - Buy a new automatic car. In 2-3 years, the market will have more EV options as well. The future WILL be automatics, especially with the conquest you EVs.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 19:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering your back situation, I’d suggest you steer clear of clutch gear. Drop the idea of manuals altogether. Buy a pre owned Alto or Celerio or WagonR AMT. These cars are easy to buy, easy to and sell. Hone your skills on it for a few months. Once you feel confident enough, move on to a proper 10-12L rupee automatic car.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 22:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

First a car hire company will not rent cars to someone without a full driving licence. Leon with a driving school car, get your licence and then buy a car.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 23:45   #14
BHPian

A rental car for learning how to drive is not the best idea because of the reasons stated above by fellow members. Some suggestions from my side:

1. Get yourself something like a ~2010 i10 AT. Super easy to drive and you'll not lose any money on it.

2. Attend a driving school and then get a pre-owned ~2017-19 Honda City CVT. You'll find one easily within your 10 lakh budget and you'll not lose sleep over a scratch. Coming to the car, it's super easy to drive. My first time behind the wheel was in my 2018 Honda City and it was a breeze to get used to(no incidents during my learning phase). As for your back, my dad(55) who also has a lower back condition has never complained of any discomfort in the City.

Alternate- If you've made up your mind about a brand-new car, the Kiger/Magnite is very newbie-friendly.

All the best, and happy driving!
revsperminute is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 02:27   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

You didn't said anything about driving license.

As you and your wife doesn't know how to drive, I am inclined to believe that you both will need to get one. Who will give you a car to drive, without a valid DL or at least a LL?

Getting to learn from a driving school having some linkages to the RTO is a better option in that case.

You will need a car to drive during the test and they can help you get DL on time.

If you start the process now and get the LL this week, final DL is still at least 1 month away.

If your car is not getting delivered after a month, you can refresh with the revvz car you were mentioning.

Just noticed, Ajmat has mentioned the same thing a few posts above.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 7th May 2023 at 02:31.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks