Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2023, 11:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Looking for a used daily driver under 5 lakhs | Does buying a 10-year old German make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
The OP had stated that they want to treat this as a project car. I am assuming that they will play around with the Wheels and Tire combo, upgrading suspension, tuning, Brake upgrade etc.
That may not be possible in 5L honestly. He will have to buy both - The Brio, and a 1.5L Engine from a City. BTW, a Polo GT TSI could be had in this budget and then remapped to some desired tune. Would cost a bit to maintain but then, hobbies do have a price .

Last edited by aah78 : 29th May 2023 at 04:44. Reason: Quote rimmed.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 11:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Looking for a used daily driver under 5 lakhs | Does buying a 10-year old German make sense?

It is doable in 5-6L budget.

A 2014/15 Brio(pre facelift) can be had for 2.5 to 3L (GGN prices - Reasonably maintained).

A crashed City motor/wiring harness from Mayapuri (as OP is from NCR) of the same vintage can be had for 50K to 75k(even less if the original block is returned).

Do over of the car with all new consumables(Fluids, belts, gaskets, clutch, brake pads, suspension bits) 45-70K - Depending where the consumables are sourced from OE, OEM

25-30K Labor.

OP can also start a YouTube channel - we tbhpians wont say no to a motor swap video :P
Manoj2268 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 12:05   #18
BHPian

My recommendations for a fun car for you would be :
1. Fiesta 1.6
2. Punto Abarth
3. Honda City

These will be cheap to buy and maintain and will be a lot of fun too.

Cheers
speedmunster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 12:46   #19
BHPian

Look for a 2012/13 Accord eyes closed. Have it checked thoroughly, follow the used car checklist and also have your trusted mechanic check it out.

You’ll get well maintained low km ones under 6L, 180-278HP, cheap to maintain and very reliable unlike the Germans. Maximum power per dollar spent in my opinion. Is also much safer than cheaper/smaller cars as you get 6 airbags + ABS and ESP. 6.7 secs 0-100 stock for the V6.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 13:23   #20
BHPian

None of the above is my answer to your list

I would suggest get a nice VW Polo Gti, Honda City manual or Civic manual and go nuts modding the hell out of them. You will enjoy them to the fullest.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 13:40   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Get an Accord V6. End of story.
vredesbyrd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakverma97 View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking for some guidance on what pre-owned car I should buy. This car will be driven by me 90% of the time and my younger brother who would at times take it to his college. It would be a potential project car that I would love to own for a few years.
Hi Sarthak, I am glad that at this young age you want to own a luxury brand on your own. Happy that you dream & want to own the best .

For your modification satisfaction, find out a Polo Tsi or EcoSport D. I am sure Polo & EcoSport are modification friendly and you will get plenty of ways to modify them. These are pretty fun to drive and will not hurt your wallet.

I am not sure if you like it or not but modify & enjoy Polo or EcoSport for next 2 years and when mainstream EVs hit the market, get a good brand new "FAST" EV in 2025.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th May 2023 at 07:43. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion.
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 15:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
As irrational the list could be, I am really looking for all the inputs you guys have to share with me.
What’s up with these prices? Very tempting but as all others said none of these are viable options for a used car. Maintenance and early niggles will be a painful experience for you. And you are buying used car on loan. If you faced even a single issue it’ll be a costly affair. You should look for a used City, it’ll be much better for you and you will be able to get a much younger and less used variant in your range. You can also get new Amaze base variant or Baleno or Nexon.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th May 2023 at 04:45. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant sections of posts only. Typos fixed.
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 16:33   #24
BHPian

I will suggest something completely different.

A very close friend purchased a 2012 Audi A6 Petrol (in Jan 2021), I'll share his example before making my suggestion.

- Single owner
- Gurgaon Registered
- 68,000 Kilometers run
- Serviced at Audi till 45,000, and then at European Motor Works (Gurgaon)

Purchase cost: INR 9 lacs
  1. Full Service: INR 20,000/-
  2. Rear Air Suspension Bellow Replacement (both sides): INR 25,000/-
  3. Front Suspension (bushes & arms, both sides): INR 35,000/-
  4. Transmission Fluid Change: INR 25,000/-
  5. Timing Kit & Water Pump: INR 25,000/-
  6. 4 Tyres (2nd hand Continentals): INR 20,000/-
  7. Rear Left Door Sunshade (2nd hand): INR 5000/-
  8. Rear Parking Sensor Speaker (2nd hand): INR 4000/- (parking sensors didn't work without this replacement)
  9. New Jack (2nd hand): INR 3,000/-

- All work done at a trusted FNG based in Okhla, New Delhi.

- Insurance (Zero Dep): Average 78,000/- per year (without NCB benefit)

- Mileage: 7-8 KMPL (city) and 11-12 KMPL (highway)

- Current Odometer: 84,000 KM

The car drives like a DREAM, the Ride Quality, Cabin Hushness, AC, and overall quality/ fit & finish is top notch, and better than anything below 25 lacs.

- Total Cost: Purchase + Maintenance: 9,00,000 + 1,62,000 = 10,62,000 (without insurance)

Car can be driven in Delhi/ NCR till Jan 2027, post which it would fetch about INR 4 lacs - not bad in my books.

My cousin recently picked up a March 2013, BMW 320i for 9 lacs, and the Audi story seems to be repeating itself.

My suggestion: If you find a clean example, go ahead, but please be very careful and don't get swayed.

All the best.

Last edited by maglev : 26th May 2023 at 16:43.
maglev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 16:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

I'm looking for some guidance on what pre-owned car I should buy. This car will be driven by me 90% of the time and my younger brother who would at times take it to his college. It would be a potential project car that I would love to own for a few years.
the 2-3 lakhs budget can't be used in modification. I think repiars would eat nearly double! Petrols would be more sorted than diesels but when your going in hell, weather it half or full, your in hell!

I would say you can look at better options. the Japs have some great cars! I would start with Honda! Toyota also is good so is Suzuki. Do remember, for mods, most tuners would not appreciate high mileage! reduces reliability! consult a team during the purchase process based on your use case scenario!

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th May 2023 at 07:42. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion.
suryaj1990 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 22:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You can buy them on the cheap in Delhi and transfer them to another state where such age caps do not exist. Nonetheless, you cannot keep or use a 10+ year old diesel and a 15+ year old petrol in Delhi NCR in any way. They will pick the car up for scrapping even if it is parked outside your own house.
Very tempted to do this with such mouthwatering prices. Has anyone on TBhp done this i.e. buy a nearly 10/15 year old car in Delhi and reregister it in another state? I'm wondering if even with the registration charges, it's a good deal.
Old 26th May 2023, 22:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Very tempted to do this with such mouthwatering prices. Has anyone on TBhp done this i.e. buy a nearly 10/15 year old car in Delhi and reregister it in another state? I'm wondering if even with the registration charges, it's a good deal.
This has been an on-going business ever since the NGT ruling came in force. Multiple Delhi based dealers will get this done for you. It isn't as hard as imagined.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 01:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

I'm looking for some guidance on what pre-owned car I should buy. This car will be driven by me 90% of the time and my younger brother who would at times take it to his college. It would be a potential project car that I would love to own for a few years. It'll not be a family car as such and would generally be seating at max 3-4 people and would also very rarely be used for intercity travel.
Coincidentally, You and I share a very similar kind of garage. Although Brio a.k.a Donut is on sale, so won’t be that same.
Anyway coming back to your query, everyone has already told you in probably all the ways possible. Here are a few suggestions of cars that you might look into:
1. Have a look at this Linea T-Jet; https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...at/Linea.html/
2.Buy a Maruti Gypsy? This might sound ridiculous as the car is literally just opposite of the cars you mentioned but swap it with a 1.6. Get it modded (port and polished head or high compression), this car is capable of giving you goosebumps. And who knows, take it off-road and you might discover your adventurous side.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th May 2023 at 07:41. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion.
vtecblast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 15:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Typically costs anywhere between 75K to 125K, depending upon the State receiving the car. Amount is determined basis insurance IDV, Road Tax (as per state), and no of years remaining (15 - Current Car Age).

My brother’s 530d was transferred from Gurgaon to Chandigarh for about 100K around 6 months ago. He in fact occasionally uses the car in Delhi/NCR as well.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 14:14   #30

Might i suggest a used City/Accord. A friend bought an Accord 2.4 Manual for 4.5L a few years ago. Repairs are relatively inexpensive compared to the Germans, has modern and safety features like 6 airbags, automatic climate control, electric seat adjust, etc.

Plus it's a true pleasure to drive. IMO, a project shouldn't be on a loan. I'd suggest saving up a bit before taking the plunge. Most people who did projects made them on Contessa's, 800s - on the cheap, Civics & Accords - on the expensive side - point is for a project to make sense the machine shouldn't cross the 2L cost. Spend another 2-3L doing everything else you guys want to do.

Speaking to some CIVIC 2nd/3rd + owners will help you a lot to understand the logistics of a project car.
youngmonk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks