Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from Ignis for my wife | What car for city runs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Why

She's joined a new job, which offers her a tax saving of about INR 2.5 L a year if we get a new car - the car will be bought in the name of her company, will be leased to her, and transferred in her name once payments are done. That's the biggest reason.
Chief! You already have a 1.5L Taigun() so why bother about the feel & feedback of the ignis. Considering the replacements, I suggest you let the Ignis be at peace for a few more years.
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:24   #17

I would vote for the I20 N line here. It is safe, performs well [DCT] and it looks great. Also, IMHO it is good to have some variety in your garage, so I would suggest to go in for a hatchback or sedan over a mini SUV. Also, while the Exter is fresh and ticks most of the boxes it is expected to come with an AMT which would be a serious downgrade in terms of driving experience if your wife would have ever driven your Taigun.
Old 27th June 2023, 20:36   #18
BHPian

Everyone, thank you very much for all your inputs!

The wife’s got a clear input from her company -

She can only get a car under 12 lakhs.

She’ll then pay about 11 - 12 k less tax a month for 4 years - that’s 5.28 L minimum savings, and an excuse to get rid of the Maruti.

Pity I have to say that, but we all must start penalising companies that do not pay heed to safety and detail, I think!

I am going to check out the Magnite, Amaze and i20. I think those are the only choices if we cut out Tata, Mahindra, (for detail quality) Maruti (for safety) and also Toyota, for there’s only the Baleno - Glanza. Would have loved to get an Toyota but .. no Ethios or anything else within the budget.

Also going to put up ads for the Ignis and see how much if fetches

Let’s see how it goes, will keep this post updated!

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 27th June 2023 at 20:38.
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 20:48   #19
BHPian

Why not leave the choice entirely to your wife? Take her for test drives of the cars she likes. She drives the car 30 km a day and should enjoy doing so. I let my wife choose her cars and she absolutely enjoys her daily drives. ( She had a Polo GT and now drives a Taigun AT).

Edit: Just saw your limit is 12 lakhs, why don't you try the Tiago EV? Would fit nicely into the budget and is really zippy. We have 2 in the extended family and everyone loves them!

Last edited by sunsetorange : 27th June 2023 at 20:52. Reason: Update with a suggestion
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 01:20   #20
BHPian

Tiago EV or for the market and airport errands the Tigor EV should be a step up entry into the EV world. Definitely an upgrade from the Ignis ICT. Save taxes, save fuel costs and environmental friendly for a "singara chennai"

Last edited by SafariMan : 28th June 2023 at 01:20. Reason: Grammer
SafariMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 07:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Considering your budget is 12 L on road price, I would consider the following -

1) Upcoming Exter
2) Amaze diesel/petrol CVT
3) N Line i20
4) Magnite (last option considering the sorry state of after sales, since you already have a VW you need a reliable second car)

If you are open to pre owned-

A 2-3 year old Yaris CVT can be the best option. Not sure if your wife would be comfortable with size though
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 08:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Why not leave the choice entirely to your wife?

Edit: Just saw your limit is 12 lakhs, why don't you try the Tiago EV?
Of course the final decision will be entirely up to her, if she likes the car - the looks + drivability. I am just pointing her ins some directions.

Will check out the Tiago EV, thanks for the suggestion. If it hasn’t got messed up panels and the like, it definitely can be an option!

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 28th June 2023 at 08:30.
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 08:58   #23

I'd suggest to keep the Ignis. Even though you don't like it, your wife seems to have no issues with the car as per your statements. Say what you will of the car, it is still an excellent city car.
Sheogarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 10:28   #24
BHPian

I think the Tiago EV shall be a brilliant City car given her usage if you have the place to charge it at home. No more stops at the fuel pump. Peppy enough for city usage and also running costs are running costs at the end of the day. 150Km per week isn't that small. You may find it quite useful actually and it fits in the company budget.
redeff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 10:47   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Looking at replacing my wife's Maruti Ignis AT (or not). It's about 4 years old, 23,000 KM done, in good shape.

Hi @thirdmainroad, I would highly recommend you to consider the Toyota Glanza V AMT for the buy. It is a highly recommended car among the hatches, with 6 airbags. Although the shell is slightly unsafe, it will fare around 3 stars in the NCAP crash ratings. It is around 11.8 lakhs on road Chennai. You may not want another Maruti in your garage, but I think a Toyota would make more sense. Though both cars are almost similar, RSA and after-sales experience are miles apart! Toyota offers better protection standards and long-term reliability. But you will have to compromise on the driving factor. It does not drive very enthusiastic, but will be acceptable for city drives. It is extremely fuel efficient and provides around 21 kmpl. If your wife likes the design and the stance, I'm pretty sure it's a go and go. Hope this helps!

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding.

Last edited by ampere : 4th July 2023 at 23:46.
Old 29th June 2023, 11:51   #26
BHPian

Am also in the same boat - two additional requirements are automatic transmission and need to have rearview/360 camera. Unfortunately, there is no proper automatics available in India under 10L on road.

That being said, I have narrowed down to below cars.

1. Glanza G
Pros - Toyota Badge, Neutral design
Cons - Model is already 4 years old, Afterall it's a Maruti.

2. Fronx Delta+ AGS
Pros - New Car, Better Build quality compared to other Maruti cars.
Cons - Unknow safety ratings, need to install aftermarket camera.

Last edited by Superleggera : 29th June 2023 at 11:54.
Old 29th June 2023, 12:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
A smallish car, easy to drive in the city and small roads, with an SUV stance. The wife likes it, but she's also now looking at sedans.

Ideally around the 10L mark - can stretch a little more
The Tiago EV seems like the best pick for you. The exter seems like a reshaped Hyundai Ignis.

Quote:
The Magnite?
It's a CVT. Even if you're open to it, I'm not very sure of how long Nissan will remain in the Indian market given their limited models.

Quote:
Automatic Transmission a must.
Or perhaps just get a Virtus 1.0? It's a tad pricey for our needs, though, but I may take it out on my runs!
The 1.0 AT comes at a whopping 17.x L OTR in my state. Are you sure you want to stretch that much and buy essentially a car that's on the same platform as the Taigun?
Considering that you are ready to stretch for something nice, here are a few options

1. The Korean sub-4m: Sonet and Venue. They have many engine options and are SUVish. They have generally positive reviews with a 3-star ncap.

2. i20 N-Line: A really sporty automatic hatch.

3. Jimny AT: Good for pure city/ bad roads/ hills/ off-road uses. Its a proper 4X4
Old 29th June 2023, 12:26   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Am also in the same boat - two additional requirements are automatic transmission and need to have rearview/360 camera. Unfortunately, there is no proper automatics available in India under 10L on road.

That being said, I have narrowed down to below cars.

1. Glanza G
Pros - Toyota Badge, Neutral design
Cons - Model is already 4 years old, Afterall it's a Maruti.

2. Fronx Delta+ AGS
Pros - New Car, Better Build quality compared to other Maruti cars.
Cons - Unknow safety ratings, need to install aftermarket camera.
If you really want a proper automatic transmission car with respectable safety ratings, here are a couple of options:

1. Tata Altroz DCA
The XMA Plus Petrol costs under 10 lakhs on-road in Kerala, moreover you can get a further 15k cash discount, a 10k Exchange bonus. 3k corporate discounts, etc. Other variants are also good options but are more expensive ranging from the XMA Plus (S) at 10.5 lakhs on-road all the way to the XZA Plus (O)(S) at 12.6 lakhs on-road.

2. Honda Amaze CVT
The Amaze S CVT costs around 10.1 lakhs on-road in Kerala, with an additional Rs.12,300 Worth of accessories free of cost or a 10k cash discount. You could also go for the VX CVT but it costs 11.3 lakhs on-road.

If you have decided to choose one among the Glanza and the Fronx, a point to note is the Fronx is based on the Baleno and therefore should score similar crash test ratings.

Moreover, in my opinion, going for the Glanza over the Baleno doesn't make great financial sense, although badge value may be a factor, as the Glanza G AMT costs 10.76 lakhs on-road whereas the Baleno Zeta AGS costs only 10.47 lakhs, along with that, you get Rs 20K Cash discount + 10K Exchange bonus with the Baleno.

Hope it Helps!
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 22:14   #29
BHPian

If you are looking for a hassle free ownership - consider Hyundais - choose a model you like basis your budget and specs. Creta / Venue.

For the driving enthusiast the TSIs from the VW stable are real gems, you could consider a Virtus perhaps?
Old 4th July 2023, 23:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

I go back to the basic question. What is prompting the change? If she is happy with the Ignis, I would suggest to continue with it. Why change?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks