Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:42   #16

Re: A car for my mother

I am in the same boat right now. Looking for a city car, Automatic and easy to drive. Front and rear seat comfort is a must. Compact is preferred. Already booked Exter SX(O) but also looking at Venue S(O) Turbo DCT.

Hyundai Exter SX(O) AMT:

Pros

- Has almost all the features
- NA engine. Better mileage than Venue
- AMT is extremely smooth and almost jerk free
- Great back seat leg room and comfort
- Reliable and engine and gearbox

Cons

- Looks very small in person
- Smaller 15 inch tyres
- Feels more like hatchback than SUV stance wise (not a con exactly)

Hyundai Venue S(O) Turbo DCT:

Pros

- Looks really good. Mini Creta.
- Give somewhat SUV feel
- More powerful Turbo engine
- Feels bigger while driving

Cos

- Missing features like sunroof, auto folding mirrors, push start
- Lower fuel efficiency
- Turbo lag in lower speeds (people who own can suggest if its really a deal breaker)
- DCT reliability (I am assuming it won't be an issue considering Hyundai service and brand)

It's really hard to pick between these two.

I am skeptical about i20 as it seems like a long car rather than a compact.

What are your thoughts about it? Or if the community can guide in the right direction.
Old 22nd August 2023, 20:15   #17
BHPian

Pretty simple I will say.

I am 100% sure your mother would not be driving around the city with paddle to the metal mentality. Hence you would not need a DCT.

Nios AMT is the best fit (compact and refined) however I would suggest Exter AMT which is relatively new and pretty much the same thing with better ground clearance, space and visibility.

I would not suggest i20 since its not convenient for people after a certain age to sit lower to the ground.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 21:05   #18
BHPian

My 2 cents:
1. Tata AMT is very rough/slow and the throttle response will not be uniform
2. Altroz DCA will be good in transmission perspective but again the engine is not great among the lot
3. i20 IVT/Amaze CVT - both are fine in terms of transmission but the engine feels very lethargic with CVT combo and the turning radius will make us feel driving a 4+m sedan
4. Swift/Baleno - Peppy engine, better-than-tata AMT, but build quality is a question
5. Exter/Nios - They got the best AMT in market, mostly 1st to 2nd gear (and vice-versa) alone will be evident, rest of the shifts are very smooth and quick. Exter will have a better seating position/visibility/ground clearance. And let us hope Exter will be safe too comparatively (as they showcased during launch)

So Exter is a good choice
Old 24th August 2023, 21:25   #19
BHPian

Why don’t you consider the Fronx AT 1.0?
Torque Converter is generally reliable enough and works decent.
1.0 Turbo Petrol should give you enough power for a good drive.
Not being an AMT it won’t have the AMT jerks/other AMT issues.
With its higher ground clearance, ingress/egress should be comfortable.
It is within 4m so city run about won’t be a problem at all.
Being a Maruti the overall product would be reliable.
The Delta variant should hover around 12L on-road in your city.

Last edited by SixPistons : 24th August 2023 at 21:27.
Old 24th August 2023, 21:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
Why don’t you consider the Fronx AT 1.0?
Torque Converter is generally reliable enough and works decent.
Exter is ~ 12 lakhs and Fronx is ~15 lakhs OTR for the top trims.

Is the difference of 3 lakhs worth it? Moreover should someone pay more than 10 lakhs for a hatchback?
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 22:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Exter is ~ 12 lakhs and Fronx is ~15 lakhs OTR for the top trims.

Is the difference of 3 lakhs worth it? Moreover should someone pay more than 10 lakhs for a hatchback?
Edit: I made a mistake with the Fronx Turbo Variants and Pricing. Fixed it and updated my answer.

Fair point. Exter while a good offering, seems a bit off in proportions. 12L for a hatchback on steroids, bigger boot, slightly higher GC with a 1.2 NA and AMT and lots of features does not look like a fair offer. Looks overpriced, instead of a car with a soul and character to drive, it is essentially a wagon with gadgets but not as much power.

A subjective opinion: Exter’s rear seems incomplete. It is positioned like a mini SUV, but in essence it is still a raised hatchback.

OTOH, As OP is looking for a car for their mother, reliability is prime. As a Cross-Over Fronx is a refreshing design, even though still practically a raised hatchback as well. With a capable engine and stable Torque Converter, good space inside-out, Maruti Reliability, Around 14 OTR (for Zeta; sorry I didn’t see that Delta is missing in Turbo) seems like a better value proposition to me. It was not my original choice while buying because I was not looking for a mini-SUV with a higher ground clearance but wanted a powerful hatch. i20 N Line DCT was the only hatch in Indian Market that fit the bill. More over, Fronx was not out yet, had it been launched a bit early, my vote may have gone to Fronx.

Even for a Fronx Delta+ 1.2L NA AGS, I can confirm that Maruti’s AGS (basically Maruti’s AMT) gives a good driving experience, without the Turbo fun though. This is available at 11L OTR. I have experience with this Engine + Gearbox combination on the Baleno Delta AGS on a recent trip to the hills. The dynamics, suspension and drive experience are much better than my parents’ 1.2 MT 2016 Baleno.

Overall, from the outside, given the price tag, a Turbo 1.0 with TC makes more sense over a 1.2 NA with AMT, although at the cost of a few gadgets. Since the Turbo goes over budget by a huge margin, I would consider Fronx Delta+ 1.2NA AGS at around 11L. Nevertheless, OP and their mother should only make a decision after taking both the experiences.

Last edited by SixPistons : 24th August 2023 at 23:04. Reason: Fact Checked my points and corrected some mistakes.
Old 15th October 2023, 06:20   #22
BHPian

Hello everyone, thank you for all the feedback. So here is an update on the situation and I'm quite frantic at the moment -

I maintained my booking for the Exter SX(O) AMT variant, but looks like the delivery delays are insane. I'm visiting India in Nov-Dec and there is no way I can expect the car in time. My dealership in Cochin has no qualms about going back on their commitment, and honestly, I'm not surprised.

But this could actually be a blessing in disguise. Exter to me was always a steroidical product (I made up this word but you know what I mean). So, I've three options now -
  1. Settle for the i10 Asta - Exter is a MARGINALLY better product, so the i10 feels like a compromise
  2. Upgrade to Venue/ Seltos - My mother "psychologically" feels they are big SUVs, plus the space at disposal is debatable. And a hefty premium for the top-end variant
  3. Other Manufacturer Options a.k.a Punch, Altroz, Fronx, Baleno - No 3 pots for sure, and the interior quality of Fronx/ Baleno is not acceptable.
  4. Upgrade to i20 - The most interesting option at the moment, but the dilemma detailed below

I requested the dealer to take the Exter and the i20 to my mother for a test drive, and she came back saying the i20 felt more spacious and she liked it. Well, that is all she spotted Nonetheless, she did like the i20.

Now here is the real dilemma. I've found a dislpay car - an N-line N8 DCT for 13.8 lacs and a pre-facelift Asta(0) DCT (Yard Stock) for 13.6 lacs OTR. I'd love the N-line, but yeah it has been a display car and 60kms on the odo. And the DCT - tempting! No pre-facelift iVT's in stock.

The facelift is a scam! I can live with them deleting fog and cornering lights, but the rear armrest? Seriously? And the black interiors look so much more premium than the dual-tones in the facelifted versions.

I was like, just blindly go ahead and get the Asta(O) DCT for all it offers. But then it dawned upon me that - I'm not buying the car for me and it is going to be used in Cochin traffic 80-90% of the time by my mother!

The new iVT cost approx. 13.3 lacs OTR. My heart is racing towards getting my hands on one of the final few DCTs in stock. The price difference in comparison to a new iVT is negligible. But again, considering usage - I'm wondering if going for the DCT will backfire! From all I've understood so far, the answer is yes! Primary Usage - City. Primary (Almost sole) user - my mother & occasional driver.

I think I know my answer here, but I hate to go for the iVT when DCT is such a tempting option. I'm really hoping our community can help me decide. Please, someone tell me that the DCT makes better sense for the city and that it will be reliable Either way, I'm yet to make a final call. So please, please help me here!
Old 21st October 2023, 13:54   #23

I have a very similar conundrum. My father is frustrated with his 1 year old Wagon R AMT and wants a smoother car.

The grand i10 is too cramped and the Exter has a high waiting period.

I am considering the i20 Sportz IVT or the Amaze CVT. Which would be the more VFM option with regards to drive-ability, safety and features?
Old 21st October 2023, 15:50   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
I think I know my answer here, but I hate to go for the iVT when DCT is such a tempting option. I'm really hoping our community can help me decide. Please, someone tell me that the DCT makes better sense for the city and that it will be reliable Either way, I'm yet to make a final call. So please, please help me here!
Whichever you finally get, the IVT or DCT, there is this little electronic gadget which helps a lot in improving overall driveability and useability of all these slightly lower powered AT cars in India.
It’s an Aussie Product called EVCX and is a throttle controller. It is available for most cars sold in India and Ive written a thread about it on the forum because I ve installed it in two of my cars and will be installing it also in my Dad’s car. You can buy the same thing in the US (but do check the compatibility).
In the US there are multiple brands. Jet Xcelerator, 9 Drive, Sprint Booster, etc.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 22:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1918 View Post

I am considering the i20 Sportz IVT or the Amaze CVT. Which would be the more VFM option with regards to drive-ability, safety and features?
The Amaze is a very capable car, just that it is too long in the tooth. And I believe the i20 feels more premium. And obviously a lot more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Whichever you finally get, the IVT or DCT, there is this little electronic gadget which helps a lot in improving overall driveability and useability of all these slightly lower powered AT cars in India.
It’s an Aussie Product called EVCX and is a throttle controller.
I'm afraid if this will in any way impact engine warranties. And if the fuel efficiency, which is already miserable for the i20, get even worse.

Looks like I will be settling for the i20 IVT Asta(0) after all. Not sure if there is anything else I can actually consider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks