Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2023, 08:33   #1
RMN
BHPian

Switching from a Freestyle (MT) to a Vento (DSG) - Thoughts?

Greetings everyone,

I've had my Ford Freestyle Diesel since 2018 and the ownership experience has honestly been great & peaceful. I've got the extended warranty till 2024 with the option to extend till 2025. Never had to claim anything and the service in Kochi, even now has been good.

Its only done 36k km but I'm at a point where I desperately need an automatic transmission due to multiple reasons and hence got me thinking of a lateral upgrade without spending too much money. I got my car upraised and received an offer much better than the market rate!

Things that I'm looking:
  1. Used automatics. AMT is definitely a NO but I can live with a CVT.
  2. Should be within 8L
  3. Should have done <50k KM
  4. Preferably a sedan

A Polo was my first consideration but the asking price for a used AT Polo here in KL is simply absurd! So that was quickly off the table and left me with the following:
  1. Vento
  2. Rapide
  3. City

I've come across a 2016 Vento within my budget that has only done 30K KM and is in overall good shape - even had the plastic cover on the speedo and the around the gear - was a bit sus tbh but seems like an older gentleman was the owner and never removed it. A quick TD gave me a positive experience and I'm currently trying to pull the service records. I've already got a DSG Vento in my family so I'm very familiar with the car and the following are some of the points that I'm aware off:

1. Inferior fuel efficiency
2. Higher maintenance cost
3. The fear of DSG failure
4. Lack of torque compared to the Ford

I would like to have a second opinion from the community. Am I forgetting to consider any other car apart from the ones I mentioned? If I'm to go with the Vento, what all are the things I should be looking out for?

Thanks you!
Old 26th August 2023, 17:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Switching from a Freestyle (MT) to a Vento (DSG) - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Greetings everyone,

I've had my Ford Freestyle Diesel since 2018 and the ownership experience has honestly been great & peaceful. I've got the extended warranty till 2024 with the option to extend till 2025. Never had to claim anything and the service in Kochi, even now has been good.

Its only done 36k km but I'm at a point where I desperately need an automatic transmission due to multiple reasons and hence got me thinking of a lateral upgrade without spending too much money. I got my car upraised and received an offer much better than the market rate!

Things that I'm looking:
  2. Should be within 8L
  4. Preferably a sedan

A Polo was my first consideration but the asking price for a used AT Polo here in KL is simply absurd! So that was quickly off the table and left me with the following:
  1. Vento
  2. Rapide
  3. City

I've come across a 2016 Vento within my budget that has only done 30K KM and is in overall good shape - even had the plastic cover on the speedo and the around the gear - was a bit sus tbh but seems like an older gentleman was the owner and never removed it. A quick TD gave me a positive experience and I'm currently trying to pull the service records. I've already got a DSG Vento in my family so I'm very familiar with the car and the following are some of the points that I'm aware off:

1. Inferior fuel efficiency
2. Higher maintenance cost
3. The fear of DSG failure
4. Lack of torque compared to the Ford

I would like to have a second opinion from the community. Am I forgetting to consider any other car apart from the ones I mentioned? If I'm to go with the Vento, what all are the things I should be looking out for?

Thanks you!
If the car is in good condition, 7 years/30km in nothing for the Vento - wont even be a single rattle. But it all comes down to service support. Are you confident of VW and FNG support in your area? Lets say you keep the car for the next 5 years, in the worst case (and this could happen with a Honda as well, just less likely), are you able to spend 2-3 lacs over 5 years to maintain it? Your assumption anyways should be 1-1.5 lacs for maintenance over 5 years.

I'll let others comment on common problems; water pump is one. But a few parts (even if not DSG) are sure to change over the next 5 years.
Old 26th August 2023, 19:58   #3
BHPian

Honda City is the go-to option if you want a stress-free ownership experience. Rapid/Vento are superior cars in all other aspects. However, the service experience can be a hit or miss. But I can be sure that these cars will not match the driving dynamics of Freestyle 1.5 TDCi. It is an underrated car in its segment. If Ford marketed it well, the sales numbers would have been better for them.
Old 26th August 2023, 22:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The only point I would chip in here with: look for a VW/Skoda that has been maintained at the A.S.S, and continue that if you get one. Maintained well, these cars can last a long time from what I have heard.

regarding the DSG's, do check the threads about the DSG failures and high city usage where stop & go driving is high - like in larger cities/metros.

(I know that the odd complaint will be there about A.S.S).

Last edited by condor : 26th August 2023 at 22:10.
Old 27th August 2023, 08:42   #5
RMN
BHPian

Thank you for the reply guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post
are you able to spend 2-3 lacs over 5 years to maintain it? Your assumption anyways should be 1-1.5 lacs for maintenance over 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
regarding the DSG's, do check the threads about the DSG failures and high city usage where stop & go driving is high - like in larger cities/metros.

(I know that the odd complaint will be there about A.S.S).

Yep, I've budgeted for the DSG expense over the next 3-4 years. Amazing & sad that's all of our thoughts while we think of VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukarmohan View Post
But I can be sure that these cars will not match the driving dynamics of Freestyle 1.5 TDCi.
VW service is pretty decent here and lots of good FNG's too. I absolutely agree, the TDCi is something! I just whish this came in an automatic!

I haven't come across a good City yet and also the inferior ICE is a reason why I'm a bit apprehensive. Also, I came across a few good EcoSport's from 2018 that fits within my budget. I somehow hadn't come cross them until yesterday and now I'm contemplating between the Vento and EcoSport despite a mini crossover not being my thing. Ecosport seems to be a better deal considering that:
  1. Its a newer car
  2. Has warranty and the option to extend it further
  3. Vastly better equipment levels than the Vento

Any idea what the AT Ecosport (Dragon engine) is like to drive? Is the fuel efficiency better than the Vento?
Old 27th August 2023, 09:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what the AT Ecosport (Dragon engine) is like to drive? Is the fuel efficiency better than the Vento?
Have an Ecosport AT in the family. The Ecosport DCT is a fairly confused gearbox. While it is good to drive, the VW DSG is far far better. The mileage is fairly similar to what I get in my Vento TSI.

Is the Vento you are looking at a TSI DSG? Or a TDI DSG? I don't think fuel efficiency or maintenance cost should be a deal breaker. Especially for maintenance, as you are in Cochin plenty of FNGs who will do a good job with the Vento. In addition you will have tons of modification opportunities also.

The DSG failure is a risk that will have to be considered.
Old 27th August 2023, 16:43   #7
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Have an Ecosport AT in the family. The Ecosport DCT is a fairly confused gearbox. While it is good to drive, the VW DSG is far far better. The mileage is fairly similar to what I get in my Vento TSI.
2018 onwards the Ecosport AT comes with a torque converter. The vento I am looking at is a TSI.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 18:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings everyone,

Things that I'm looking:
  2. Should be within 8L
  4. Preferably a sedan
No doubt Vento DSG will give you superior driving experience, but don’t forget the possible upcoming service expenses of an out of warranty (also discontinued) VAG car. If you can invest time and money to handle such issues, then definitely consider it.
Rather, I would suggest you should consider the pre-owned Jazz CVT or City CVT. There are plenty of options to choose from and ample service centers to help. At least you will not regret your lateral upgrade.
Old 1st September 2023, 15:19   #9
RMN
BHPian

Hello again everyone,

After quite a bit of deliberation, I picked up the 2018 Ecosport in the Titanium+ variant. It has done just a few thousand kms more than my outgoing Freestyle.

It was all down to the Ecosport or the Vento, though the heart wanted the Vento, my mind was on the Ecosport and quickly also had a change of heart for the following reasons:

1. The Vento was out of warranty with no option to extend. Considering the higher service costs for VW's and more importantly the worry about the DSG failure - I just wasn't confident enough.
2. I wasn't able to pull the service records
3. Equipment levels were considerably lower than then Ecosport
4. The Ecosport has warranty till the next year plus the option to extend
5. Service records were clean

Overall very happy with the purchase until I for a refuel . Thanks for all the help!
RMN is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 22:51   #10

Congratulations on your purchase

I couldn't relate better brother.

Our family also bought a Ford Freestyle Diesel in 2018 (it was mostly my dad's decision). But it was mostly driven by me. I frequently need to drive my grandparents around and they hated the freestyle's suspension. The ride was very harsh and uncomfortable for them (they both are 80+). The car was driven 32K kms and 4 years old at this point.

An immediate need to change the car arised. Being a VAG fan always, i started looking for 2018+ VW Vento diesel DSG (particularly with the GTI style healights) but couldn't find any with low mileage and a warranty.

So, i came across an Ecosport S Diesel Manual. Even though automatic was a preference but i had no issues with a manual. It was a 2019 variant, so i was safe from DPF worries. The inspected the car and it was pristine, chauffeur driven as the owner was a very old granpa. The car was 50k driven, but the ride was better than freestyle by leaps and bounds. I took my family for an inspection and they loved it. The presence of the S variant in white color with greyed out accents and alloys was unmatched on our indian roads. I unded up buying her and its been 1.5 years, i am very happy with my purchase since.

What made you giving up your freestyle for an ecosport? Other than being an automatic, any other major points?
Gauravgarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 08:53   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on a brilliant pick !

I have been driving a 2018 Ecosport T+ AT for over 5 years and have been quite happy with it. The AT box is very good whether in City traffic or on the highway. The car has all the creature comforts one could ask for and more.

One thing you should pay attention to is the tires. 2018 model Ecosports came with 17 inch wheels shod with shoddy Ecopia tires. I had sidewall failures with all 4 tires and managed to get warranty claims for 2. Even the replaced tires have a tendency to get punctured very easily. Please budget for a tire replacement. If budget allows please do change to 16 in rims - will improve the reliability and also rock hard ride quality as well.

Last edited by qaqa : 20th September 2023 at 08:55.
Old 24th September 2023, 14:59   #12

I have been driving the Ecosport 2018 AT as well since March of this year..

No complaints so far in city or highway.The only thing I did was replace the Ecopia tires to Goodyear ones
Old 9th October 2023, 10:47   #13
RMN
BHPian

Apologies for the late reply - have been travelling a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauravgarg View Post
Congratulations on your purchase
The presence of the S variant in white color with greyed out accents and alloys was unmatched on our indian roads. I unded up buying her and its been 1.5 years, i am very happy with my purchase since.

What made you giving up your freestyle for an ecosport? Other than being an automatic, any other major points?
Thank you, buddy. Yes, the S variant in those alloys are a looker! My primary reason was just that I've found myself mostly commuting now and dint make any sense to have a MT for crawling speeds. I honestly got fed up of MT's. To add on to that, the ride started feeling more harsh - dint help that I had 16's on them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Congratulations on a brilliant pick !

One thing you should pay attention to is the tires. 2018 model Ecosports came with 17 inch wheels shod with shoddy Ecopia tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltrozGuy View Post
I have been driving the Ecosport 2018 AT as well since March of this year..

No complaints so far in city or highway.The only thing I did was replace the Ecopia tires to Goodyear ones
Thanks a lot guys. Looks like mine is a '17 registered in '18 then cause my came with the 16's. Came with the Goodyear Assurance but they are worn out due to the age and I'm on the lookout for replacements. I hear the Conti UC6 are good?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks