Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2023, 23:35   #1
BHPian

Choosing a daily driver to replace my erstwhile Audi Q5

Hello Team, Its been long. I have been caught up with loads of work and have not been active recently, Apologies for the same.

I posted about my beloved Q5 where I was deciding to reregister her in Bangalore and keep her for a bit more while but long story short, she came to Bangalore, I drove her for a month and before reregistering here where the RTO quoted me over 4 big ones the car just gave up and the instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree. A friend of mine wanted to take her for a joyride and lets just say it ended up in a sour misery. After this, with a really heavy heart I decided to part ways with her because all the hassles were really not worth it for me.

Now, The new car bug has bit me really hard. Considering all the cars in my family are SUVs, I was particularly looking at Sedans. I went to Navnit Motors BMW and checked out the 220D Gran Coupe M Sport, I have to say I was really impressed with that car.

Fast forward, ended up test driving the Mini Cooper JCW, A class Limousine, and the Jaguar F-Pace (I really don’t know why I test drove this one but really just wanted to feel this car). Now, I genuinely fell in love with the 2 series, those frameless doors and the sporty design appealed to me a lot, especially in that black sapphire metallic colour.

Now, having been quoted over 50 big ones for this car, my mind sort of hit a wall and I asked myself is it really worth the money spending so much on that car because the interior was a tad basic and it's a baby BMW with a FWD after all.

Started going through the pre-owned market and found really amazing deals on mint A6 TDIs and 530D M sport. I have never purchased or owned a pre-owned vehicle and no one in my extended family too. Even though the kid in me is telling me to be a brave man and buy the 5 series, the wise man in me says to bite the dust and get a brand spanking new 2 series or the A class. I know a lot of you lot will suggest me to go for the X1 or Q3 but I am strictly against EVs or Petrols. This car will be driven upwards of 15k kms a year and diesel is what I need.

So Team, help a friend out to pick his new daily. Please do consider that I will be driving this car myself everyday and I don’t really have passengers, it’s always me or a plus one. Also attaching the pictures of my beloved Q5 below so that everyone can give her a good farewell

Choosing a daily driver to replace my erstwhile Audi Q5-9eeea4ef1710497da27c5a0dd4723eed.jpeg

Last edited by graaja : 27th September 2023 at 05:23. Reason: Paragraph spacing for better readability
speedfreak77 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 00:41   #2
BHPian

re: Choosing a daily driver to replace my erstwhile Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
After this, with a really heavy heart I decided to part ways with her because all the hassles were really not worth it for me.
For Preowned Route
The answer to the preowned route lies right in your above post itself.

Not much experienced myself but from what knowledge I have gathered from the forum, the German cars need to be looked after Post- Warranty Expiry Period and you genuinely need to keep atleast 1L aside for miscellaneous expenses apart from the regular maintenance of the car.

Another important factor is that will the preowned car be under warranty? The amount to replace any part if it goes kaput will be significant.

Most of the owners service their cars in a reputed FNG in later years. Do you have a trusted FNG?

Experienced members can guide you better on this.

For New Car Purchase
From what I read you are more inclined towards a sedan but since you are looking for a diesel please take a TD of Diesel XUV700.

If you are conscious about brand value then the BMW 2GC is surely a stunning car.

Another fellow member is in a similar boat and you can refer to the same.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...-2-series.html (Ranbir or Ranveer? | Audi A4 versus BMW 2-Series)

All the best for your purchase!
ex-innova-guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 11:23   #3
BHPian

Re: Choosing a daily driver to replace my erstwhile Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
For Preowned Route
The answer to the preowned route lies right in your above post itself.

Not much experienced myself but from what knowledge I have gathered from the forum, the German cars need to be looked after Post- Warranty Expiry Period and you genuinely need to keep atleast 1L aside for miscellaneous expenses apart from the regular maintenance of the car.

Another important factor is that will the preowned car be under warranty? The amount to replace any part if it goes kaput will be significant.

Most of the owners service their cars in a reputed FNG in later years. Do you have a trusted FNG?

Experienced members can guide you better on this.

For New Car Purchase
From what I read you are more inclined towards a sedan but since you are looking for a diesel please take a TD of Diesel XUV700.

If you are conscious about brand value then the BMW 2GC is surely a stunning car.

Another fellow member is in a similar boat and you can refer to the same.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...-2-series.html (Ranbir or Ranveer? | Audi A4 versus BMW 2-Series)

All the best for your purchase!
I have heard a lot of horror stories of the new Scorpio N and XUV700 by my extended family relatives who bought them and have been in misery ever since. I decided to opt out of Mahindras and Tatas for some time until their products are good enough. No bad word towards these brands, its just that they are punching well above their league but their after sales stories has made me a bit skeptical about them. I do not have a trusted FNG in Bangalore so it will really be an issue, I was hoping the team here will help me with the same.

I have kept my Q5 for 10+ years and I know the costs which I have to put up with when the parts go kaput. These German sedans are nicer to drive than the SUVs offered under 50 lakhs in my opinion. This is the reason why I have been thinking of getting one. The 2GC is a killer in looks in my eyes but again, suggestions and recommendations are always welcome. People’s reviews and personal opinions are always going to be considered.
speedfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, I genuinely fell in love with the 2 series, those frameless doors and the sporty design appealed to me a lot, especially in that black sapphire metallic colour.

Now, having been quoted over 50 big ones for this car, my mind sort of hit a wall and I asked myself is it really worth the money spending so much on that car because the interior was a tad basic and it's a baby BMW with a FWD after all.

I know a lot of you lot will suggest me to go for the X1 or Q3 but I am strictly against EVs or Petrols. This car will be driven upwards of 15k kms a year and diesel is what I need.
Sorry if I am missing something. But the BMW X1 has a diesel version, right? Doubtful since you clubbed it together with EVs/petrols. Then again, the X1 and GLA diesels are more expensive than the 2series/A limo by a good 6-8 lakhs. You are caught between a rock and a hard place. The proper diesel Germans (read 3,C,X3,GLC) will cost you 75+ lakhs, while on the other end the only diesel low rider is the Tata Altroz. So it is either 2series/ A class or cough up 8 lakhs more for the BMW X1 or Merc GLA.

If you loved the 2 series and can afford it easily, then go for it. No use hoping for a RWD German if you can't stretch to 75 big ones or want go the used route.

Or the left field options are the Citroen C5 Aircross and the Hyundai Tucson.

Edit: Just now saw that the A class no longer has a diesel.

Last edited by DicKy : 27th September 2023 at 15:25.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am strictly against EVs or Petrols. This car will be driven upwards of 15k kms a year and diesel is what I need.
[/ATTACH]
For a new to pre-owned car ownership, I would suggest finding models that are within warranty period (less than 2-3 years old) with 20K or less on the odo. These vehicles will most likely be serviced and maintained by the company workshop - a record of which will be available when you carry out a pre-purchase inspection by them.
Also, you can extend the warranty as well.

For a fun to drive sedan : I would also look at petrols. Not for any other reason except that diesels command a premium in the used car market that could nullify the fuel savings, and unless it's a 530D - the petrols will out perform them.
Cars I would look at are the 330i, 530i, new A6, and even a few odd pieces may pop up like a CLS - there is one in Mumbai that seems tempting though requires heavy negotiations and cost of re-registration to be factored in.
In diesels your best bet is C300D or a 530D.

In case you're buying a pre-owned car out of warranty, do get a detailed PPI carried out by the Authorized showroom and scan over the car for any damage due to water / accidents / abuse / poor maintenance. Keep a healthy budget aside for maintenance and hope it never has to be used! I'd factor in 30L-35L which would get you a clean, late generation, low run E350 W212, or a F10 530D.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Sorry if I am missing something. But the BMW X1 has a diesel version, right? Doubtful since you clubbed it together with EVs/petrols. Then again, the X1 and GLA diesels are more expensive than the 2series/A limo by a good 6-8 lakhs. You are caught between a rock and a hard place. The proper diesel Germans (read 3,C,X3,GLC) will cost you 75+ lakhs, while on the other end the only diesel low rider is the Tata Altroz. So it is either 2series/ A class or cough up 8 lakhs more for the BMW X1 or Merc GLA.

If you loved the 2 series and can afford it easily, then go for it. No use hoping for a RWD German if you can't stretch to 75 big ones or want go the used route.

Or the left field options are the Citroen C5 Aircross and the Hyundai Tucson.

Edit: Just now saw that the A class no longer has a diesel.
The engines in the new X1 are underpowered, I was kind of really excited for its launch but spending 60 lakhs on a 1.5 engine car does not appeal to me. I looked at a 530D recently but thank god I asked for its service records and history, The car was flood damaged (TOTAL LOSS). These horror stories scare me and that is why the pre-owned route has never just been it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
For a new to pre-owned car ownership, I would suggest finding models that are within warranty period (less than 2-3 years old) with 20K or less on the odo. These vehicles will most likely be serviced and maintained by the company workshop - a record of which will be available when you carry out a pre-purchase inspection by them.
Also, you can extend the warranty as well.

For a fun to drive sedan : I would also look at petrols. Not for any other reason except that diesels command a premium in the used car market that could nullify the fuel savings, and unless it's a 530D - the petrols will out perform them.
Cars I would look at are the 330i, 530i, new A6, and even a few odd pieces may pop up like a CLS - there is one in Mumbai that seems tempting though requires heavy negotiations and cost of re-registration to be factored in.
In diesels your best bet is C300D or a 530D.

In case you're buying a pre-owned car out of warranty, do get a detailed PPI carried out by the Authorized showroom and scan over the car for any damage due to water / accidents / abuse / poor maintenance. Keep a healthy budget aside for maintenance and hope it never has to be used! I'd factor in 30L-35L which would get you a clean, late generation, low run E350 W212, or a F10 530D.
I have been trying to get my hands on the F10 530D but it’s really difficult to come across a mint example. The C300D is an interesting option, will probably look out for one. I also factored in the Volvo sedans because why not? I asked my family and they are inclined towards the 2GC exteriors. Lets see what decision I make when the family override kicks in.
Old 28th September 2023, 14:36   #7
BHPian

2 series GC is a good choice considering only front seats will get used because due to the sloping roofline, there is less headroom in the rear seats.

But since you drive it 15k Keep in mind that the sidewall of the tyres of 2 series GC is very low. They are only for enhancing its exterior beauty but in real road scenarios, they are of no use keeping in mind how speed breakers are designed in India and there are many potholes on highways also.

It has 40 sidewalls ( 225/40 R18) and this can give a lot of headaches with the rim bending.

Even on small potholes, Merc CLA with 225/45 R17 rims tend to get bent easily so I have to take some extra care of it.
And to claim it under insurance, I have to keep the car at ASS for 4 to 5 days. The same case will happen in BMW also.

And after your rims get bent 2 or 3 times you will not drive the car at high speeds instead you will drive it slowly to protect it from potholes so in the end that 190 bhp and 400 nm will be of no use.

If you are going with 2 series then change that 18-inch rim with 17 ones and get a higher sidewall tyre of at least 50 or 55 side profile.

You can buy OEM rims of older generation 3 or 5 series from BMW ASS itself for peace of mind.

Last edited by vattyboy : 28th September 2023 at 14:44.
vattyboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:07   #8

I would suggest go for the 2GC but via the Preowned route. I saw many 2023 2 series listed on sale just under 40lakhs. Provided that it is not a demo car, you can go for it.
Few cars even came with service package and extended warranty. So carefree ownership is possible via preowned as well.
Ashwintona675 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 16:49   #9
BHPian

I would like to suggest you to go for brand new A4 as its available for 4X lakhs after the discounts (as per TBHP threads), 2.0 TSI is both efficient and fun to drive, so fuel cost should remain close to that of 530D. You will get new car feel, peace of mind and it will be more comfortable than 530d or 2 series.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 17:18   #10

Being a former proud owner of a C7 Audi A6 2.0 TDI [which I bought pre-owned from Audi Approved Plus], I whole heartedly recommend the same to you. In my 8 years of ownership, I had ZERO breakdown maintenance on the drive train or the suspension. The only thing that gave way was the AC control unit, which was not a very big expense.
The power is adequate, ride is balanced [and adjustable], fuel efficiency is great, interiors are not too dated, and right now they are available for peanuts.
For you, switching from a Q5 to an A6 will be easier as most controls will be familiar.
I used to get it serviced at a FNG immediately after the warranty period. The bills were pleasantly surprising.
Mak@87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 15:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
2 series GC is a good choice considering only front seats will get used because due to the sloping roofline, there is less headroom in the rear seats.

But since you drive it 15k Keep in mind that the sidewall of the tyres of 2 series GC is very low. They are only for enhancing its exterior beauty but in real road scenarios, they are of no use keeping in mind how speed breakers are designed in India and there are many potholes on highways also.

It has 40 sidewalls ( 225/40 R18) and this can give a lot of headaches with the rim bending.

Even on small potholes, Merc CLA with 225/45 R17 rims tend to get bent easily so I have to take some extra care of it.
And to claim it under insurance, I have to keep the car at ASS for 4 to 5 days. The same case will happen in BMW also.

And after your rims get bent 2 or 3 times you will not drive the car at high speeds instead you will drive it slowly to protect it from potholes so in the end that 190 bhp and 400 nm will be of no use.

If you are going with 2 series then change that 18-inch rim with 17 ones and get a higher sidewall tyre of at least 50 or 55 side profile.

You can buy OEM rims of older generation 3 or 5 series from BMW ASS itself for peace of mind.
I considered this factor, I even thought of downsizing the wheel to 17s and increase the profile to 45 or 50. Those 40s on Bangalore roads are impractical and I will have to drive with a lot of patience which I generally run out of in the traffic. Thank you for pointing out this factor, If anything occurs to the 18s, they’re going out and 17s come in.
speedfreak77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 15:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwintona675 View Post
I would suggest go for the 2GC but via the Preowned route. I saw many 2023 2 series listed on sale just under 40lakhs. Provided that it is not a demo car, you can go for it.
Few cars even came with service package and extended warranty. So carefree ownership is possible via preowned as well.
Now this is an interesting option, I will factor in this. But being honest, in the used car market the 2GC is a hotcake in the 220i engine whereas I want the diesel. I will be on the lookout for one. Thanks for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I would like to suggest you to go for brand new A4 as its available for 4X lakhs after the discounts (as per TBHP threads), 2.0 TSI is both efficient and fun to drive, so fuel cost should remain close to that of 530D. You will get new car feel, peace of mind and it will be more comfortable than 530d or 2 series.
I went and checked her out, The reason why I opted out of Audis is because I just sold one even though I am a huge fan of this brand, This time the family override has kicked in and a different brand is what I am looking for. The A4 is a spectacular car and I am considering it for my mom. The 2.0 TSI in my hands will be a fuel guzzler, I drive with a heavy foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak@87 View Post
Being a former proud owner of a C7 Audi A6 2.0 TDI [which I bought pre-owned from Audi Approved Plus], I whole heartedly recommend the same to you. In my 8 years of ownership, I had ZERO breakdown maintenance on the drive train or the suspension. The only thing that gave way was the AC control unit, which was not a very big expense.
The power is adequate, ride is balanced [and adjustable], fuel efficiency is great, interiors are not too dated, and right now they are available for peanuts.
For you, switching from a Q5 to an A6 will be easier as most controls will be familiar.
I used to get it serviced at a FNG immediately after the warranty period. The bills were pleasantly surprising.
The A6 is a wonderful machine, when I went to purchase the Q5 back in 2012, I was drooling over the A6 and it was a big regret not buying one because I have always loved this car. The A6 is a well contender and I am personally looking at a few pre-owned models but now with the new A6 out, the C7 feels outdated and the interiors are similar to my Q5. The car’s engine is legendary and if I find a low run C7, I might gift it to myself as an additional car but for now, its ruled out by my family.

Last edited by speedfreak77 : 30th September 2023 at 15:36.
Old 30th September 2023, 15:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The engines in the new X1 are underpowered, I was kind of really excited for its launch but spending 60 lakhs on a 1.5 engine car does not appeal to me.
Just read that the X1 2.0l diesel is detuned to 150bhp. If I am right, even the 2000s E90 320d had 170+bhp from the 2.0l diesel. The cheaper 2GC has 180+bhp!!! Guess, CAFE norms are at play, and BMW might have figured that the high rider X1 will sell even if they screw up the engine/equipment, while the low rider 2GC will need all help.

Quote:
The C300D is an interesting option, will probably look out for one.
Great choice. Given that you would drive solo or with one front passenger. Though the C300D would be hard to come by than the C220D.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Just read that the X1 2.0l diesel is detuned to 150bhp. If I am right, even the 2000s E90 320d had 170+bhp from the 2.0l diesel. The cheaper 2GC has 180+bhp!!! Guess, CAFE norms are at play, and BMW might have figured that the high rider X1 will sell even if they screw up the engine/equipment, while the low rider 2GC will need all help.

Great choice. Given that you would drive solo or with one front passenger. Though the C300D would be hard to come by than the C220D.
Detuning the X1 was one smart move by BMW, I have seen a lot of people going for the X1 over X3 because of the cars having the same engines and similar features. This time around, detuning the car and not providing basic features like 360 degree camera and a lot of stuff will put off a lot of consumers. Even though X1 is one terrific car to look at especially from the behind, The lack of power is felt and I won’t buy one for daily use. My Innova makes more power than the X1.

Finding a good C300D is really hard, I am also factoring in the E350D.
Old 11th October 2023, 20:53   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Get the 530d. Best reliability and driving experience.
If service costs are not a hassle then you can try the E350 CDI too, the W212 has 360 degree camera and sounds really good at high rpms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks