Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2023, 19:46   #1
BHPian

Proper automatic car under 13 lacs with decent safety kit & ratings

Guess someone else has posted a similar thread, but I have an extensive list to choose from and hence a new thread. I am looking for a proper automatic under 13 lacs, maybe stretchable to 15 lacs on road. I made an excel sheet with some potential options. I did check out 3 cars from my list(didn't test drive one as it wasn't available).

Requirements:
Proper automatic(AMT in very few cases/cars)
Decent safety kit and rating
Good service and reach
Should be under 13lacs on road stretchable by a lac

Renault Kiger: I have eliminated this car from my list. It feels so cheap especially since I drove it after I drove a Venue N-line. The drive mode selector itself felt so cheap. The horn felt like it was placed under my seat. There was literally no insulation, as I could hear everything outside of the car. And when I asked this to the sales guy, he was likesaar it is a safety feature as you need to hear what is going on outside the car

Hyundai i20 N line: The facelift version of this car hasn't arrived at showrooms yet but there was a pre facelift version inside the showroom. I liked the car and would like to reserve my final statements after I take a test drive.

Hyundai Venue N Line: Man if I had 17 lacs with me(or rather my dad), this would be the car. I fell in love with it within the 3-4 kms that I drove it. The exhaust was sweet, engine felt really exciting. I drove a Taigun 1.5 DSG earlier but somehow this Venue really pulled my heart strings. This car is still on the list, but not sure if we would actually end up buying it.Proper automatic car under 13 lacs with decent safety kit & ratings-img20231001173642.jpg

I am attaching a picture of the choices that I have shortlisted. I would like to know if I missed out on any car. I will update this thread once I do more testdrives and visit more showrooms.
Proper automatic car under 13 lacs with decent safety kit & ratings-img20231001130656.jpg

Regards,
Saikishor
saikishor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 20:00   #2
BHPian

re: Proper automatic car under 13 lacs with decent safety kit & ratings

If you can stretch your budget and I see you have already put it in your consideration, go for the Virtus and GT plus if you can.

Just came back from a 400km round trip and thoroughly enjoyed the drive.
Roughly 150kms stretch was a single lane “highway” with no divider and trucks, buses overtaking from left, right and Center.

I’ll be honest, I am new to driving such distances but because of the control the car offers, the feeling of safety, the power that’s available just a tap of the pedal away and the confidence that come with it, it was a breeze. I have a 6 year old and wife who accompanied me, and all were happy with the space and convenience at offer.

It’s truly sheer driving pleasure at a mass market affordable price.
TheFonz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 20:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
If you can stretch your budget and I see you have already put it in your consideration, go for the Virtus and GT plus if you can.

Roughly 150kms stretch was a single lane “highway” with no divider and trucks, buses overtaking from left, right and Center.
Yep, totally agree with TheFonz on this one! If not the Virtus, then the facelifted i20 N Line or the Honda City (CVT)!
nova.19_exe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post

I’ll be honest, I am new to driving such distances but because of the control the car offers, the feeling of safety, the power that’s available just a tap of the pedal away and the confidence that come with it, it was a breeze. I have a 6 year old and wife who accompanied me, and all were happy with the space and convenience at offer.

It’s truly sheer driving pleasure at a mass market affordable price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova.19_exe View Post
Yep, totally agree with TheFonz on this one! If not the Virtus, then the facelifted i20 N Line or the Honda City (CVT)!
My budget for now is strictly capped at 13 lacs, but if no car impresses my dad, then he might up the budget. Virtus in DSG is a strict no due to the DSG woes and VW shenanigans. I have shortlisted the 1.0 TSI A/T for budget reasons and maybe slightly better reliability.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 23:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I am looking for a proper automatic under 13 lacs, maybe stretchable to 15 lacs on road.

Requirements:
Proper automatic(AMT in very few cases/cars)
Decent safety kit and rating
Good service and reach
Should be under 13lacs on road stretchable by a lac
I had written in response to someone else's query with all the proper automatics with 6 airbags and turbocharged engines. You might find it helpful.

Originally I had excluded CVTs, mainly because of my dislike for it, but you can add Kiger/Magnite/City etc. to the list.

Here are the results make/model/variant in ascending order of ex-showroom price, under 20 lakhs.

1) Hyundai i20 - Asta (O) / N-Line 1.0 Turbo DCT: 11.87 lakhs
2) Maruti Suzuki Fronx - Zeta 1.0L Turbo 6 AT: 12.05 lakhs
3) Hyundai Venue - SX (O) / N-Line DCT 1.0 Turbo: 13.23 lakhs
4) Kia Sonet - GTX Plus 1.0 Turbo Petrol DCT: 13.69 lakhs
5) Kia Carens - Prestige Plus 1.5 Turbo Petrol DCT 7 STR: 15.74 lakhs
6) Skoda Slavia - Style 1.0 TSI AT: 15.99 lakhs

Full list here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5620009 (The most affordable true automatic cars in India | Altroz DCA, i20 IVT & Amaze CVT)

Last edited by inwester : 3rd October 2023 at 23:27.
inwester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 00:27   #6
BHPian

If you have the budget, why not look at Verna if you are considering Venue? It has scored 5 stars in GNCAP and also, it has better rear seat space and comfort, reliability, good looking interiors and the engine (1.5 NA IVT) is pretty smooth and adequate for your usage though you can get 1.5 Turbo SX DCT (my favourite of the lot in Verna) within your budget only if you are willing to compromise on DCT issues.

IMO, at the price of Venue N-Line N8 DCT, you can get a Verna SX IVT with all bells and whistles and also with better rear seat space. My friend had bought the same for around ₹17L in August and couldn't be happier with it.
car_guy1998 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 07:04   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

From the budget and requirements, here are my recommendations:

1. Tata Altroz XZA Plus (O)(S)
The top-of-the-line Altroz costs exactly 13 lakhs on-road and comes with best-in-class safety and a good feature list too. Although the engine isn't the best in the segment, it gets the job done and the DCA ensures seamless shifts as well.

2.Honda Amaze Elite Edition CVT
The special Elite Edition CVT of the Amaze is priced under 12 lakhs and is a decently equipped sedan, and a good option to consider if you are into sedans.

3. Hyundai i20
The i20 is one of the most feature-loaded hatches out there, and if you want to remain under 13 lakhs, the Sportz IVT variant is the way to go, else the Asta, or perhaps for an even sportier ride, the i20 N-Line would be a great pick.

If you are indeed willing to extend your budget, then you can consider the Brezza AT, Venue DCT, and Sonet DCT/ TC AT. The Venue and Sonet are decently equipped even in the S(O)/HTX trim and have almost all the bases covered. The Venue now comes with 6 airbags standard as well.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Re: Proper automatic car under 13 lacs with decent safety kit & ratings

Tata Nexon Creative DCA will be a good option for your needs.
Bhokal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 17:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
My budget for now is strictly capped at 13 lacs, but if no car impresses my dad, then he might up the budget. Virtus in DSG is a strict no due to the DSG woes and VW shenanigans. I have shortlisted the 1.0 TSI A/T for budget reasons and maybe slightly better reliability.
Apparently, the DSG problems aren't there on the Virtus, but each one their own. That 6 speed Torque Converter is also pretty sweet! From self experience (not driving, I'm underage), that gearbox with that 1.0L engine is just *chef's kiss*
nova.19_exe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 19:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Venue is a great package but doesn't it go against your own listed requirement of safety? I feel it is best to stick with the Honda Amaze as it is all the car one would need in that price category
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 09:00   #11
BHPian

If the budget can be flexed a bit, what about the Brezza VXI AT? I think it costs a bit under 14 lakhs on road, Chennai. Not sure about your city.

No-nonsense car, good AT, good fuel economy, the platform it is built on has achieved decent crash test ratings in the past.

It also is a bit more spacious than most other cars here.

If form factor is not an issue, check out the base variants of the Honda City CVT. They seemed value for money and probably a larger car than your initial options.

I personally did not like the Venue, because it had horrible fuel efficiency in traffic, was slightly smaller inside and the crash test ratings are unknown (though its sibling Sonet had a poor showing in crash tests).
Small Bot is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 09:13   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda just launched the Slavia in Ambition Plus trim, with a good discount over even the existing Ambition trim. Please see link below. Looks like a very good value buy, combination of 5-star safety, peppy turbocharged engine, proper Torque Converter Automatic, generous space and a modern design. All essentials and most desirable features are there including cruise control etc. You may be able to snag further discounts while negotiating.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...aunched-429224
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 09:35   #13
BHPian

Ciaz is too VFM with decent driving dynamics. Do have a test drive before finalizing as it has proper TC.
AGupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 09:47   #14
BHPian

MS Brezza VXI 6AT seems to be the perfect car for you considering your budget and requirements IMHO.
Phantom 510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 11:37   #15
BHPian

My suggestion is: Go with Amaze CVT.

- You save money (Money saved is money earned)
- Proper car (Punch or Exter visually seems like a compromise+ AMT can not match CVT)
- Reliability and low service cost (Low total cost of ownership overall)
- Practical car with proper boot
- Lower wheel base = No issues with ground clearance in bad roads (unlike 'City')
- Offers running in and you can squeeze some savings (like free insurance etc.)

Last edited by Aditya : 30th October 2023 at 18:38. Reason: Abbreviation
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks