Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 20:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Help me replace my September 2023 VW Taigun GT

I drove a used latest gen skoda octavia today. It is in mint condition. Trying to take a longish test drive tomorrow. I see a lot of you have also praised the kodiaq so will do a TD of that soon. I will also to do a TD of the XUV 700 diesel and report back. Thank you for the suggestions. I am not keen on getting another Jeep product or stellantis product with their future looking bleak. Already faced the ire of ford leaving India with my now sold ecosport. If neither of these work, I will wait a bit and pull the gun on the 330Li sometime December this year. The reason I am not selling the Jeep is because that's also a 2022 purchase and has all the features from a segment above. The Taigun is rudimentary in comparo.
sedanlover2021 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 22:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanlover2021 View Post
Hello BHPians!

Please help me solve this conundrum:

TLDR: I'm looking to replace my slightly used VW Taigun GT with a larger and faster car for daily commutes in Bangalore traffic (75 kms to and fro). My wife shall continue to ride her Jeep Compass, so we need a bigger vehicle for family road trips (4 people, golden retriever, live-in nanny). Ideally, it wouldn't be a 7-seater (city traffic pain!). It should be fun to drive and offer some "speed thrills" when I want them.

Help a fellow out! Open to suggestions in the used market as well.
Here is my thoughts/suggestions for your next auto shopping:

Searching for an SUV:
a. Budget under 35 lakhs? Look no further than the XUV700. With its robust build and its stellar power, the XUV700 stands out. Opt for the petrol variant if it aligns with your preferences, although the diesel version is ideal for its Fuel Efficiency, especially considering its 2-tonne weight. Btw. I chose the 700 petrol due to my moderate monthly usage of <1.2k km. I have a MT, considering you will ride it in BLR, you would surely choose an AT which would just return 7-9kmpl max.

b. Willing to spend between 35 to 50 lakhs? The Kodiaq presents itself as a compelling choice. Offering impeccable driving dynamics, ample space, and a commendable array of features, the Kodiaq ticks all the right boxes. Its potent 2L TSI engine paired with a 7-Speed DCT transmission ensures an exhilarating driving experience.

Considering a Sedan:
a. Keeping the budget under 25 lakhs? Delve into the Virtus GT for a taste of German engineering prowess. Alternatively, the Verna SX Turbo Petrol caters to those fond of Korean innovation. Both models excel in driving dynamics and deliver commendable fuel efficiency (& Germans do have a slight edge ofcourse)

b. Prepared to splurge between 35 to 50 lakhs? While the BMW 330i may have recently been discontinued (please correct me if I'm mistaken), there's still no shortage of exhilarating options. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a sedan that matches the splendid driving dynamics offered by the BMW 3 series, Skoda's Superb/Octavia yet.

Having said above, making more and more trial runs (as Solo and Family) would be ideal in narrowing down your purchase.

Happy Motoring!!

Eager to know your final decision.

Last edited by rudra_shiv : 29th March 2024 at 22:17.
rudra_shiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 22:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
It should be fun to drive and offer some "speed thrills" when I want them.
If you want speed and space at the same time you are looking for both the “S” and “U” in a SUV.

Please test drive the XUV700 Diesel Automatic.

It’s fast when you need it, frugal when you don’t.

It has a premium and spacious cabin.

I had driven my next door neighbour’s XUV 700 AX7L for 100 kms or so, and the only thing I disliked was the camera quality. It felt like Mahindra gave this car flush, motorised door handles but a camera from 10 years ago!
kaustavguha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 23:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Very contrasting list of requirements imo. You want a practical car that would seat 4, a nanny and a golden retriever. This should also be relatively fuel efficient ( I mean more than XUV 700 petrol atleast). Finally it should be fun to drive too ?

Buddy you may have to sacrifice the practicality or the fuel efficiency or the fun to drive factor or atleast get 100% of two of these and about 50-60 % of the third.

In such scenario since you already have a compass which I would count in fun to drive category, how about a Kia Carens which is completely contrast in nature to compass. It's vastly spacious for your requirements, isn't too large to handle, has a very exciting 160 PS motor, and also delivers very good efficiency for power available on tap. This way your garage would have a complete and diverse set of wheels fulfilling all your requirements.
Old 30th March 2024, 09:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking to replace my slightly used VW Taigun GT with a larger and faster car

BMW 330 Li: My favorite. Magnificent engineering, luxurious, tech-filled, spacious, and a superb petrol engine. However, financially it's a stretch, even with BMW's finance plans. It's a "you-only-live-once" decision that might cause stress and isn't ideal for Bangalore's bad roads and flooding.

Innova Hycross: Disappointed with the build quality. The test drive vehicle (barely 1,500 km old) rattled everywhere. Cheap plastic abounds. Even the salesperson admitted it's not as sturdy as the Crysta. Worried about maneuverability in Bangalore traffic. A definite reject.

Not an EV guinea pig: I'm not ready to adopt an EV yet. I believe the technology will change significantly in the next decade, and I want to keep this car for at least 150,000 km.

Budget: Ideally 25-55 lakhs but can stretch if needed. However, the middle-class Indian in me will always be conflicted!

Help a fellow out! Open to suggestions in the used market as well.
Hey, I am sure you have your thoughts and reasons to change from the Taigun so I am not even going to try to bother with comments like "you should keep the Taigun". Get rid of it. Sell it to me for half price I say

Also, you mentioned bigger and faster car. BMW330i will be faster but is it bigger? Hycross will be bigger but is it faster? I am saying, I am not clear on your requirements but that is ok. I will make a "mind blasting" suggestion nonetheless

See, judging the build quality basis the rattling of a test drive vehicle may not be wise. The Hycross might be flimsy but don't judge that from the rattling of a test drive car. Test drive cars are abused a lot and the low kms on them do not mean much. You can conclude the flimsy build quality (or not) from other credible studies/sources.

The BMW 330i is fast but expensive. Maybe you can get a car equally fast (or faster) within 55 lacs?

You will not be a scapegoat for EV cars if you buy the best out there from the biggest EV manufacturer. BYD Seal with the 0-100 in 3 sec version is 53 lacs. Since I am confused about your big car definition, I am sticking my neck out and saying the BYD Seal is "big" too. Its got good range, all the tech in the world and it is so bloody fast. I have not driven it yet but the reports are enough to get one drooling.

You will not be a scapegoat or guinea pig - whichever animal you prefer not to be - because you have the money to buy a 55 lac car. In the EV space, cars like BYD Seal, Tesla Model 3/S, Ioniq 5, EV6/9 are not going to make a guinea pig out of you. They are complete cars in themselves with more than enough range, speed and features. You can buy one today and keep it for 10 years/150,000kms with a lot of ease. Will EVs improve? Of course. But so will the BMW 330i after 10 years. You will put off buying the BMW 330i today because 10 years later BMW will make a much better 330i? No. Similarly, the BYD Seal of 5-10 years later will have much better range and faster charging but that is ok because what it offers today is pretty darn good already. The BMW will also have some major improvement in its 3 series after 5-10 years.

Guinea Pigs are people like me who can spend max 20-25 lacs on a car right now. I will not buy a Nexon EV for 20 lacs or a Punch EV for 15 lacs today because the prices of affordable EVs will drop by 50% in the next 3-4 years and range will go up too. The difference between an ICE Punch/Nexon with that of an EV cannot be justified today.

I will leave it to the other experts to recommend a used Q5 or X5 for big and fast options.

Last edited by sjain2054 : 30th March 2024 at 09:31.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 12:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post
As per the mentioned budget - A less driven X3/Volvo XC60 (Petrol/Diesel) could also be a good option for an upgrade (YOLO).
Right, the Volvo XC60 would be a great choice, since you can stretch the budget and are concerned about diesel restrictions, plus there's already a diesel engine in the garage, why not opt for the Volvo XC60 Hybrid? It's got everything you're looking for: plenty of space, fun to drive, packed with tech stuff, and you don't have to worry about any future diesel NGT issues.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 18:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians!

May I suggest the Kodiaq, excellent engine gearbox combination. Drives well, very well. 5 seater when you want it to be. 7 when you want it to be. Great discounts going on as well. As long as you’re not looking at tacky new-age cars, I would strongly recommend this one.
Cheers
pratyaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 15:06   #23
BHPian

I suggest a Kodiaq as well. Once driven a VW or Škoda every other car will disappoint you unless you are entering the premium European segment.
Old 4th April 2024, 16:44   #24
BHPian

1. Since you want a car that is compact, fast and fun and city car, don't you already have one - Taigun 1.5 GT. And you want to replace your new Taigun with another car which should be bigger than Compass but city friendly? Can you clarify this ?
  2. You already have the best drivers car in its respective segments - Taigun and Compass. So what more do you mean by a fun and fast car ?
  3. And you say that you need a car for 4 people + live-in nanny + golden retriever (more than normal size dog). How can a 5 seater accommodate all in one go? You actually need a 7 seater which is completely against your requirement of "no 7 seater". You may want to clarify this.
  4. Finally, what I see you need is this - Sell your Compass, use your Taigun as the fast, fun and city friendly car, get a 7 seater for all your outstation trips. The only possible petrol (since you don't want a diesel) 7/5+2 seater options in your budget are Kodiaq, 700, and Hycross in the same order in terms of driving fun and exactly reverse in terms of space. If you can replace your Compass with another diesel, then also include Safari as well which is a better 7 seater than 700 and Kodiaq and a better drivers car than the Hycross and 700. However, please be mindful of the niggles and issues wrt to Tata.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 07:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians!

TLDR: I'm looking to replace my slightly used VW Taigun GT with a larger and faster car for daily commutes in Bangalore traffic (75 kms to and fro). My wife shall continue to ride her Jeep Compass, so we need a bigger vehicle for family road trips (4 people, golden retriever, live-in nanny). Ideally, it wouldn't be a 7-seater (city traffic pain!). It should be fun to drive and offer some "speed thrills" when I want them.

Here is an update. Not sure it is one most of us would've expected to see, neither did I expect it to be executed when I wrote this post few days back. I've done something very different, and I don't think I have a logical explanation for it.
To be happy with what I've done, I am not looking for a logical explanation either.
I've sold the Jeep Compass, got a decent deal with spinny max in bengaluru and am going to take delivery of an Audi Q3 later today. I got a good deal with march end discounts and the car was available in premium plus variant with a color of my choice. Now I will have two German horses in the stable. More details to come soon. As they say, you only live once to make nonsensical decisions that only you can justify to your soul. Here's to one of them! Cheers.
sedanlover2021 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 15:15   #26
BHPian

Here is the first pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Help me replace my September 2023 VW Taigun GT-img20240407wa0061.jpg  

sedanlover2021 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 15:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
am going to take delivery of an Audi Q3 later today. I got a good deal with march end discounts and the car was available in premium plus variant with a color of my choice. Now I will have two German horses in the stable.
Good choice Congratulations on your new Audi Q3! Wishing you many happy miles and memorable adventures with your new German horse!!
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 09:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the first pic!
Congratulations!!

Sometimes doing what your heart wants is the best decision you can make!

Please do let us know how does the new car feel and the driving experience!
Old 24th April 2024, 07:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the first pic!
Lol what a twist to the story!
Must say that was totally unexpected. It's like Harbhajan Singh's doosra!
By the way, fantastic choice and a great color too. Enjoy !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks