Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 21:15   #1
BHPian

Help me replace my September 2023 VW Taigun GT

Hello BHPians!

Please help me solve this conundrum:

TLDR: I'm looking to replace my slightly used VW Taigun GT with a larger and faster car for daily commutes in Bangalore traffic (75 kms to and fro). My wife shall continue to ride her Jeep Compass, so we need a bigger vehicle for family road trips (4 people, golden retriever, live-in nanny). Ideally, it wouldn't be a 7-seater (city traffic pain!). It should be fun to drive and offer some "speed thrills" when I want them.

Context:

I've test driven a bunch of cars but can't decide:

Tiguan: Very spacious 5-seater, fast, but the interior felt boring (same steering wheel in a 45-lakh car as a 23-lakh car?). It also lacks technology beyond the IQ headlights.

Tucson: Modern look, loaded with creature comforts and tech, but only the diesel is enjoyable to drive. Worried about another diesel with the Jeep already in the garage, in case of NGT restrictions! The 2.0L petrol is underwhelming.

XUV 700 (petrol): A hoot to drive! The economy on that engine is terrible though. Also, I don't trust the ADAS and other offered tech's long-term reliability. I found the blind spot monitoring camera on the AX7L terrible. Can't justify spending nearly 35 lakhs on it mentally.

BMW 330 Li: My favorite. Magnificent engineering, luxurious, tech-filled, spacious, and a superb petrol engine. However, financially it's a stretch, even with BMW's finance plans. It's a "you-only-live-once" decision that might cause stress and isn't ideal for Bangalore's bad roads and flooding.

BMW X1 (petrol/diesel): Good city commuter in both engines, but not much bigger than the Jeep. Feels premium inside, but the on-road price (~60+ lakhs) is unjustified. Petrol makes more sense financially honestly!

Audi Q3: Powerful engine (same as Tiguan), but the interior doesn't justify the Bangalore on-road price. Limited tech compared to competitors and not very spacious either!

Innova Hycross: Disappointed with the build quality. The test drive vehicle (barely 1,500 km old) rattled everywhere. Cheap plastic abounds. Even the salesperson admitted it's not as sturdy as the Crysta. Worried about maneuverability in Bangalore traffic. A definite reject.

Not an EV guinea pig: I'm not ready to adopt an EV yet. I believe the technology will change significantly in the next decade, and I want to keep this car for at least 150,000 km.

Budget: Ideally 25-55 lakhs but can stretch if needed. However, the middle-class Indian in me will always be conflicted!

Help a fellow out! Open to suggestions in the used market as well.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th March 2024 at 06:40. Reason: Minor formatting edit for better readability.
sedanlover2021 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 21:32   #2
BHPian

re: Help me replace my September 2023 VW Taigun GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanlover2021 View Post
I'm looking to replace my slightly used VW Taigun GT with a larger and faster car for daily commutes in Bangalore
Which you are going to drive and park in Bangalore, right?

Bigger vehicle - won't it be the bigger pain with the bigger vehicle in the famous traffic of Bangalore?

Faster vehicle - won't it pinch you when you will realize there is no space available to drive it faster, even if you find some space, there will be speed limit of 60 km/hr max in the city area?
tbppjpr is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 22:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not keep the Taigun and replace the Jeep with a 7 seater ? It is small and suited for city use. And new.
condor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 01:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
/Help me solve this conundrum: Help a fellow out! Open to suggestions in the used market as well.
As per the mentioned budget - A less driven X3/Volvo XC60 (Petrol/Diesel) could also be a good option for an upgrade (YOLO).

Why not - Toyota Innova Crysta 7-seater (Diesel) over Hycross (Petrol/Hybrid).

If you do like to add another JEEP, I do suggest MERIDIAN only Diesel (it is an extended 5-seater with more luggage space, by folding the 3rd row).

Pocket friendly - MARUTI NEXA XL6 (Petrol), as we get 2nd row captain seats with some fancy features.

IMHO above mentioned is what I can suggest. I hope not to offend anybody here.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 02:19   #5
BHPian

If you are open to Pre Owned, I would recommend a VRS 230 or 245. Quite a practical car as well.
omar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 04:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go to Honda Autoterrace and get yourself a deal on a lightly used CRV diesel you would end up saving a lot of money and also score a warranty too.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 07:27   #7
BHPian

Re: Help me replace my September 2023 VW Taigun GT

I suggest to try either the skoda superb ( relaunch in April) or the skoda kodiaq. 7 seater but still not big .
Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 10:39   #8
BHPian

"vehicle for family road trips (4 people, golden retriever, live-in nanny)"

Being a pet parent (of a large GSD) and long road trip enthusiast I would recommend you to go for the 7 seaters. I was in the similar state a year back, me and my wife were clear we need space for friends and best comfort for the pet (he accompanies me in all my road trips) hence 2 row cars were unacceptable.

You already have a compass serving as the smaller car, So the options available are XUV700, Hycross, and Kodiaq. (I would avoid BOF cars Scorpio_N, Fortuner, Gloster for the ease of entry of pet). You have already driven 2 out of the 3 mentioned, you can try Kodiaq. For me all of the three mentioned above served the purpose and are great cars to own.

Last edited by Asoon : 29th March 2024 at 10:40.
Asoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 11:19   #9
BHPian

Kodiaq is almost a perfect choice based on the requirements you have listed, It is not a big compromise on the driving front, infact it is quite enjoyable with the creamy, free revving 2.0 TSI, the outgoing generation is being offered at a great price, so do check this out! On the flip side, you will have to deal with the lack luster Skoda ASS and relatively lower effciency of a turbo petrol.
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 13:03   #10

75 KMS daily, needs Diesel, Family of 5 + Dog needs 7 seater. I would go with XUV 700 Diesel. You will get used to it's minor imperfections. In case, you use car for 10 years, NGT restrictions is not a deal breaker.

In case of petrol, it should be KODIAQ if you are okay with FE and monthly petrol cost.

Crysta is third option, but it is not available in AT now, so you have to find less used one in the market. But in that case, usage will be restricted by no. of years, if NGT is applied.
nikvint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 15:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians!

Please help me solve this conundrum:

TLDR: I'm looking to replace my slightly used VW Taigun GT with a larger and faster car for daily commutes in Bangalore traffic (75 kms to and fro). My wife shall continue to ride her Jeep Compass, so we need a bigger vehicle for family road trips (4 people, golden retriever, live-in nanny). Ideally, it wouldn't be a 7-seater (city traffic pain!). It should be fun to drive and offer some "speed thrills" when I want them.

XUV 700 (petrol): A hoot to drive! The economy on that engine is terrible though. Also, I don't trust the ADAS and other offered tech's long-term reliability. I found the blind spot monitoring camera on the AX7L terrible. Can't justify spending nearly 35 lakhs on it mentally.
Very interesting requirements and choices,
  • Larger and faster than Taigun GT: XUV700
  • Family road trip 5 people and a dog: XUV700
  • Bangalore City Traffic, should be easy to drive: XUV700
  • Fun to drive and some speed thrills: XUV700

Regarding the fuel economy, since you are open to buying upto 55 L budget, XUV700 will save significant chunk upfront which can be used for fuel. Regular maintenance will also be easier plus cheaper. And ADAS, it’s only useful on highways and since both of your current vehicles are not having it, assuming you are not used to it. Also, note this vehicle is sold in developed markets like Australia so its no inferior to International brands. But if you are considering luxury brands from aspirational standpoint then other choices which you have can be considered.
sapien is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 15:22   #12
BHPian

Try out the Q3 sportback, however if you want all the driver assist features, must try the Harrier.
Old 29th March 2024, 16:59   #13

As Bhpian condor rightly said, why sell a slightly used Taigun instead of the Compass? I suggest replacing the Compass with either the Kodiaq or perhaps the Meridian
Old 29th March 2024, 17:55   #14
phi
BHPian

As many have said, Kodiaq seems to be a great choice. You can use it as a great 5-seater - the third row folds flat to give a large boot, and you can then move the second row back quite a bit, giving amazing leg space. This is what I do most of the time (except on the rare occasions when I need to carry more than 5), and my family loves it.
phi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 18:51   #15
BHPian

Normally, I would suggest the XUV 700 outright for it's space combined with oodles of power. But since you have rejected that, may I suggest an outlier ?

The Citroen C5 Aircross also has a lot of space, and as reported by several BHPians, it's a canine-friendly option too. A quick search led me to the following threads :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5229647 (Citroen C5 Aircross Review)
quote from above : "I tie the pet harness to the tie-rings provided in The Aircross' boot. Citroen has provided 4 such metal rings in 4 corners and the metal rings feel pretty sturdy."

also :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...w-img_7155.jpg
quote from above : "I got a grass matt for my pet. She has her own (boot) space now and enjoys every bit"
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks