Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is it the time to Move-On or Stay-Along?

I have been using Chevrolet Optra from last 75K Kms and been quite satisfied with performance and reliability from a Korean–American Car and just love my car from deepest of my heart. Though this love touched its extremes when I started drive the car of my own from the last 6-7 months or so. (Thanks to my 6 year regular driver who flew off)

Chevrolet Optra equipped with 1.6L Motor was always a thirsty crow which gave a Fuel Efficiency of around 7-8Km/Ltr. Though petrol bills are paid company but why spend when you can save by opting a better & efficient alternative available in market. I was about to sell-off the vehicle, when a colleague suggested to opt for CNG. I was like CNG – “Ain’t it a fuel for Cabs”, he laughed and offered his CNG Corolla for 2 days. During these 2 days me and my driver was pretty much impressed with overall efficiency and above all per-km-cost which was reduced drastically. After a 15-20 Days research I took the plunge and got the CNG installed from GM motors Service Centre with a 2 year full-fledge warranty on the kit for around 58K. Adding CNG to the Optra was something like dream comes true, previously fuel bills which used to cross 10-12K were struck to mere 2.5-3K. I was actually astonished after looking at monthly saving of 8k-10, that too while engine revs whenever and wherever required. Never found any Lag or any sort of coughing issues while running in CNG. Even initially I never found any particular waiting in Lines for getting CNG refilled, thanks to my office hours timing and good old driver.

So far I haven’t spent more than an average amount of 1000-1500Rs in regular service. 60K Km service costed bomb i.e. 18K something, but it is gulp-able for a luxury car like Chevrolet Optra. Lately in the last 5K Kms or so I faced some issues in CNG kit which was resolved promptly by CNG People.

Now my concern is as the Car has completed 75K Kms, Car’s extended warranty is about to finish and CNG Kit warranty is also going to finish by April-09. Is it advisable to keep the car as mechanical/electrical issues might start popping up within 8K-10K or might be around the corner when I am purely satisfied with performance and maintenance costs? According to my understanding a car has an average life-span of around 90-100K Kms after which it needs to have a complete overhaul which might cost another bomb for Chevrolet Optra. To avoid the service cost bomb I want to shift to a new vehicle but somehow ongoing recession is stressing me to carry on with it for another a year or so.

I am somehow double-minded currently with two options available i.e.
a)Move-on : I have enough finances, can move on and get a new vehicle but somehow recession power is stopping me to do that.
b)Stay-along : Let’s not sell-off Optra, Service Issues might start popping up & 90-100K service might cost another 20-25K or so. It will save a lot of money which is otherwise required to purchase new vehicle, let’s save for those rainy days.

What does you guys suggest “Is it the time to Move-On or Stay-Along?”
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well Ashish, sounds like your need has come at a "right" time for all of us

How about test driving the Linea - kill two birds with one stone, so to speak

On a serious note, why sell now if you've not had any major issues yet? The car is three years old I assume?
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well Ashish, sounds like your need has come at a "right" time for all of us

How about test driving the Linea - kill two birds with one stone, so to speak

On a serious note, why sell now if you've not had any major issues yet? The car is three years old I assume?
Well said Suman Bro.

Linea - I ain't too much comfortable with Fiat brand though admire linea fullest for features and engine provided (read petrol)!!

That's what i said no issues are there, but something my inner conscious is asking me to do to avoid mechanical issues which might start popping in at 90-100K. Mine is 4 Year Old, Non-VGIS last batch stuff.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
That's what i said no issues are there, but something my inner conscious is asking me to do to avoid mechanical issues which might start popping in at 90-100K. Mine is 4 Year Old, Non-VGIS last batch stuff.
Yeah, I know that feeling! 4 years old, I'd say it makes sense thinking of a change. TD the Linea & the ANHC & the Fiesta 1.6 S or SXI I'd say. Maybe even the Altis (not sure of your Budget).
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Yeah, I know that feeling! 4 years old, I'd say it makes sense thinking of a change. TD the Linea & the ANHC & the Fiesta 1.6 S or SXI I'd say. Maybe even the Altis (not sure of your Budget).
If, in case, i have to "move-on" then it will to be another great confusion.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest reading through GTO's thread (Your 5 year old car.....) as well.

I would suggest you to stick on. Let the overhaul time come. It will not be more than 25k. You will still save quite a lot vis-a-vis investing in a new car in an uncertain environment.
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:11   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You are satisfied with your Optra, as well as the CNG kit. Just the fact that you spent 18K on the 60,000 km service says that the car has been dealer-maintained. As long as you have stuck to the maintenance schedules, your engine is good for atleast 1.5 lakh kms, if not 2.0 lakh.

Stick with the Optra. Unless you are looking for excuses to upgrade....
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:16   #8
BHPian

I think you can chug it along for more 50k kms.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Stay with the car I would say. Talking about Daewoo's. My Matiz has done 108000kms without ever changing even the break fluid, your Optra will do 200000 easily. It is still going strong.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I would suggest reading through GTO's thread (Your 5 year old car.....) as well.

I would suggest you to stick on. Let the overhaul time come. It will not be more than 25k. You will still save quite a lot vis-a-vis investing in a new car in an uncertain environment.
Exactly my thought !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are satisfied with your Optra, as well as the CNG kit. Just the fact that you spent 18K on the 60,000 km service says that the car has been dealer-maintained. As long as you have stuck to the maintenance schedules, your engine is good for atleast 1.5 lakh kms, if not 2.0 lakh.

Stick with the Optra. Unless you are looking for excuses to upgrade....
Car is strictly dealer-maintained, though tried to scout for some reliable mechanic but somehow wasn't able to locate one with proper knowledge and proper tools availability.

May be possible my heart is looking excuses for a change, as i am driving myself now-a-days. Only issue is I do not want to end-off story of my Optra like of Cielo !!
Old 4th February 2009, 10:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

a. You will anyways lose tons in the resale. Courtesy depreciation and a seller who will assume that it is NOW a lemon.
b. So why not pull on for few months, in the current economy? as is its driving down resale with people's pockets shrinking.
Old 4th February 2009, 10:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
a. You will anyways lose tons in the resale. Courtesy depreciation and a seller who will assume that it is NOW a lemon.
b. So why not pull on for few months, in the current economy? as is its driving down resale with people's pockets shrinking.
a. I'll losing more once car will be crossed 1 lakh mark !!
b. Even if I'll stop using my car from today onwards, resale will not be same a year later as of now

aka i am no-where
Old 4th February 2009, 11:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest you stick with this car for a year or 2. The resale price of GM cars is awfully low. You can even consider keeping this as your second car.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ashish, you can't fit in the rear seat of the Linea so forget about it. Your head will otherwise cause a permanent dent in the roof!!

And before you decide to move on, can we have a list of worthy contenders?? Is there anything on the market that you like enough to replace the Optra with?
Old 4th February 2009, 11:45   #15
BHPian

Oopstra wont fetch you any money if you further delay it and it is the fact. Just try to sell it and you will see what I mean. So better sell it sooner the better, and there are many newer and better options in the market today explore the same. And be sure not to get in to something like an optra again. Other option is stay on till 1.5 lac kms range till the recession is over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks