Team-BHP - Swift Dzire or Hyundai i20 ???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Swift Dzire or Hyundai i20 ??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/53371-swift-dzire-hyundai-i20.html)

For quite sometime i've been searching cars which would fit my budget of 6 lakhs. The car should be able to accomodate 5 people easily. With not much options left i thought SwiftDzire would be the choice , but when i saw the i20 , i cant of anything else. Do you suppose i20 would accomodate 5 easily ?

I felt that i20 has got superior interiors than the Dzire.

I would hardly go about 600kms per month. Should i buy a petrol car or a diesel car ?

I think you have answered your query yourself only :)

600Kms/month = Petrol Car

i20. And I'm not just saying that because the Dezire looks like crap.

One is a sedan and other is a hatchback. So where are your preferences ? i20 will be a sacrifice on bootspace if long trips are in mind. I find more dezires in my compound because of this difference.

My first preference is space . The car should accomodate atleast 5 easily. And secondly its the looks(no matter if it comes in the form of a hatchback or sedan).
Does i20 offer as much cabin space as Dzire ?

i20 is based on getz which has already seden spaced interior and Dzire is based on Swift which is already cramped for 4 normal sized people. i20 has got an edge of new design and bagfull of features, dzire got an edge with a seprater boot.

I would suggest if to take you family/friends with you and take a test drive after packing them in the car.

in terms of space comfort and looks i20 wins hands down.
The only negative is the price

If it is petrol, the i20 wins hands down. It is a bit underpowered but looks gorgeous or handsome, whichever way you want to look at it. lol

There is nothing better than taking a test drive with 5 people in the car, than comparing online, reading reviews, checking ratings etc. I have a neighbour who took test drive on both and decided on dezire. I think the seperate boot space caused the decision. What is good for someone may not be good for me, frankly. Half the crowd hates Wagon R, but anyone can count the number of WagonRs that are moving all around the city ? Many people hate the cramped interior of the Swift, but I see swifts all over the place. So, decision is meaningful and easier with a TD on both.

I suggest Swift Dzire. The i20's weakest link is price. Engine is another. For city driving, i20 is OK, but out on the highway, its not good.
Swift Dzire as a complete package is better than i20 IMO.

Test drive with full load and A/C in city and highway for both the cars. You will come to know the difference. And then decide.

Don't see the (un) Dzire as a sedan- that will be the first mistake you will make when you compare the cars, think of it as a Swift and a i20 if you are comparing space inside the vehicle or seating comfort etc etc.

Go for the i20 dude- worth the gamble. Just test drive it once. 120 KMPH is good speed on the highway and unless you are an impulsive driver I dont think any car will dissapoint on the highway in these ages (don't start talking about the mahindra jeeps or the ominis)..

- 120 looks killer!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 1169266)
One is a sedan and other is a hatchback. So where are your preferences ? i20 will be a sacrifice on bootspace if long trips are in mind. I find more dezires in my compound because of this difference.

calling Dezire a sedan is a joke on all sedans lol:

there should be no problems in your choice
What Indica is to Swift Swift / Dezire is to i20 ....

i20 is future proof .. buying car is not like buying potatoes . It is an investment for 3-7 years ( 7 years for me )

Quality should take preference over many things . hope you get the point

I have same dilemma. Finally settled on i20 after 2 TDs. Do not really need a large boot and i20 60:40 split is enough for when some luggage space is required. Better comfort at rear, very smooth and silent ride. Ideal for city.

Recently also somehow I feel build quality of Hyundai is better than Maruti. Too many squeaks / rattles both internal and external with swift from day 1. A star also very noisy / tinny. Both i10 and i20 seem overall better.

Finally you know your requirements. Do not worry too much about FE, since your kms low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 1169266)
One is a sedan and other is a hatchback.

Absolutely! If the i20 has to be compared, it is the Swift that is direct competition. If you can do without a boot, continue the discussion between the Swift & i20. If you need a boot, then its only the Dzire from your list.

Note that the i20 doesn't score brownie points on rear bench room, doesn't have the power that a big hatch deserves and will (in all probability) suffer from poor resale. Great hatch, one of the best looking so far, but entirely let down by Hyundais pricing / engine options. Look up the i20 thread, some of us tried a regular uphill city road with 2+ passengers and the engine was running out of breath. If you are still keen on an under-powered over-priced hatch, might as well check out the Fabia 1.2 as well.

GTO, I agree with you 100% on those points. Its not just a blind agreeing to someone, I have been reading and checking at various places on the proper comparison of i20, fabia and swift right from mid of Jan 2009, because I want to buy something better for my city rides.

Hyundai india website itself gives over 10 review copies in PDF format Welcome to Hyundai Motors India Limited all about i20 versus other premium hatches like fabia and swift (interestingly some of the reviews prefer Fabia over i20 too). Overall appearance, clean lines, fresh design and the numerous features that are built-into an i20 is really worth considering over others. But engine part they have miserably made it too 'economical' for an indian. Overall, it can be a hit in the cities as people prefer size and comfort over power and mileage.

After spenting over 24 hours on all the reviews and cross comparisons in the 5 to 7 laks hatches, I am yet to make up my mind. Getz CRDI gives what is missing in an i20, the power. So, now my shortlist includes i20, Fabia and Getz Prime.

Dzire is a decent vehicle, if you can tolerate the cut and paste boot on a swift ! All the technical specifications are same between Dzire and Swift though, including the fuel tank capacity of 43 ltrs. I am counting 5 Dzires in my living compound as I write this.