Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 10:43   #1
BHPian

Reducing the Safari's incabin noise

Hi, I am on lookout of car/SUV in the range of 9-12 lakh and tried hand on Linea, Altis, Optra, Scorpio and Safari.

After test driving all - I find Safari the best bet and was surprised with the good interiors unlike my existing Indigo Marina. I am interested in Safari GX, and one thing that I want to sort out before hand before I habd over the cheque for the car is intrusive engine noise and vibrations in the cabin.

Scorpio has gem of engine - no noise in the cabin and on close inspection I noticed they had superior noise insulation on firewall and bonnet unlike Safari which had some basic insulation. I want views of the BHPians - if changing/supplementing the firewall and floor with superior noise insulations pads would improve the noise/vibration insulation in the cabin. Also a good source of the noise insulation pads. I have seen some in Piyush motors in Sector 62 - and they charges like 3k whereabouts of Indigo - including doors/flooring. Looked good quiclity to me with aluminium covering at one end and thick rubber at other side.

quick synopsis of my views of the cars I tried

Optra - very nice car, feels well planted and comfortable, however dealer interaction hasn't given me any comfort in view of bad *** stories from all who own GM cars.

Linea - Great looker, 9 lakh fully loaded car but ! ( its on my back of mind i.e. if Safari doesn't work out. ( road clearance only 161 mm :-( )

Scorpio - Gem of engine, crude seats and interiors and swaying in the back seats.

Altis - Great car, coarse engine noise at high RPM - I will prefer Linea over altis considering about 3 lakh difference in pricing.

I need specific suggestions on improving the safari cabin noise - preferably that can be done in Noida.

Thanks in advance

Vivek
Old 13th April 2009, 13:33   #2
BHPian

Altis - Great car, coarse engine noise at high RPM - I will prefer Linea over altis considering about 3 lakh difference in pricing

I have Corolla Altis and have driven Linea too!
My 2 cents you are not comparing Apples to Apples here.
3L in price difference?, Its FIAT VS TOYOTA dude.
Anyway Altis is best choice if you want a Sedan.
Regards
Old 13th April 2009, 17:25   #3
BHPian

>> Its FIAT VS TOYOTA dude.

yea and fiat > toyota. is that what you are getting at?
Old 13th April 2009, 18:01   #4
BHPian

Safari 2.2 L DiCor is equally a gem of an engine. It makes barely noticeable noise inside the cabin. It is NVH level is comparable with its class of vehicles. Even the older TCIC was not exactly crying hoarse either. Once it reaches the operating temperature, it settles down to a quiet murmur even at high road speeds.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Safari 2.2 engine noise in cabin - may be much better in Dicor compared to TCIC engine however my benchmark here is Scorpio and for sure the quality of noise suppression pads used in the firewall and floor are rudimentary cloth/cotton types in safari compared to better stuff in Scorpio.

I am looking for suggestions from existing safari owners and others who have experienced or tried noise suppression pads in their vehicles.

I want 4*4 however I don't understand why the difference in GX model 2WD and 4 WD is 1 lakh, which is similar to EX 2 WD and 4 WD - where in addition to 4 WD - you also get alloy wheels.

Any suggestions on discounts and freebies I can expect - I am getting total of 20k cash discount other then 50% insurance discount.

Thanks
Vivek

ps: This thread has already moved twice, hopeully it will retain its place in this section
Old 16th April 2009, 00:17   #6
BHPian

Mods, pls close this thread rather then keep moving it to different threads !
Old 16th April 2009, 14:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for suggestions from existing safari owners and others who have experienced or tried noise suppression pads in their vehicles.
I am an owner of the Tata Safari 2.2. After you mentioned this noise abating insulations, I took a close look. The engine noise could also come from the outside through the gap in the door panels. I have seen in another car - a thick rubber padding at the edges of the doors. It keeps the road noise as well as the engine noise to a minimum.
Old 7th May 2009, 16:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The engine noise could also come from the outside through the gap in the door panels. I have seen in another car - a thick rubber padding at the edges of the doors. It keeps the road noise as well as the engine noise to a minimum.
Yeah..more often than not, a misaligned door panel can let in a lot of wind noise. If the door panel is protruding from main body panel ( even by an mm ), wind noise creeps in. Easily fixed at the service center, but it does take some iterations adjusting, test driving (at speeds).

My Indigo had faced the same problem and in Bangalore I did not get a fix. In one of my trip to Kerala, I took it to a service center there and they fixed it
Old 1st June 2009, 17:32   #9
BHPian

Get some nice damping.It would drastically reduce the incabin noise.
Old 1st June 2009, 23:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Get some nice damping.It would drastically reduce the incabin noise.
Any idea as to how to damp and where to get it done?
Old 1st June 2009, 23:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

conventional damping - the stuff they stick onto the metal does not reduce or absorb engine noise as such. it just reduces vibrations from the speaker.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks