Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 08:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Odd choice: Brand new Innova, Bolero, Honda City, Linea, Safari or Used Pajero

Dear Friends,

I’m not sure if I really going to buy one of the cars listed in the subject line, however one thing is for sure my Suzuki Zen Estilo is not upto my expectation. Hence I have a feeling that it is right time to start considering alternates.

My family size is six and occasional long drives (above 500kms) are planned but mostly city driven or driven for 250kms stretch to my hometown from Chennai regularly.

I’m being a offroad enthusiastic I always tend to add few SUV models into my selection list hence Bolero, Pajero and Safari. I had a Honda city long time ago (type 2 (Z??)), hence I always like its performance but I can’t forget the number of time the under body crashed with the speed breakers.

Innova and Linea are new choices I made here after listening and seeing most people coming with a very positive feedback about the build quality.

I’m completely against the Maruti stable as the kind of confusion they created with so many models and the scene they are still reeling after their Dzire model introduction (I can’t believe that Maruti still wants customer to wait for 6-9months time after book for delivery of this models), Sorry no Maruti Suzuki in my garage any more.

Let all your suggestions / advices to follow, I’m listening.
Old 5th October 2009, 08:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) Please specify your budget. Considering that you are looking forward to Innova, Safari and used Pajero, I will consider your budget as Rs 13 lakh approximate.

2) For the requirements that you have specified, I think the best car would be Innova. Its a very comfortable car that is good to drive too, i.e. car-like in ride and handling. This car fulfills all your requirements except one : Off roading.

3) If you are keen on offroading, go for Safari or used Pajero. Before taking a plunge for Safari, go through TBHP threads on issues related with Safari.

4) Honda city cannot seat 6 and hence its not recommended.

5) You are spending quite a bit of money, so IMO, its best to go with a new vehicle that is also practical. Innova is the most practical buy here. The service network is better than Mitusbishi and overall Toyota A.S & S. is generally good. IMO, Innova is the for you.
Old 5th October 2009, 09:05   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hey
If you have a budget of 13 ish you can look for and surely pick up an used Pajero in good condition.

Im sure you will thoroughly enjoy that vehicle!

Otherwise if the Off Road bit is simply a dream and you really will end up using the vehicle on highways predominantly, then without a doubt go for a top end Innova - you simply wont regret it.

cheers
Old 5th October 2009, 11:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Dear Friends,

My family size is six and occasional long drives (above 500kms) are planned but mostly city driven or driven for 250kms stretch to my hometown from Chennai regularly.

but I can’t forget the number of time the under body crashed with the speed breakers.

Innova and Linea are new choices I made here after listening and seeing most people coming with a very positive feedback about the build quality.

Let all your suggestions / advices to follow, I’m listening.
thats all the justification you need to buy the innova. theres nothing below a q7/x5 that is as comfortable for above 5 people.

it has enough clearance and it won scrape speed breakers.

a car like the linea will be way to small for 6 people.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Pajero should fit your bill. What the heck, you can off road with it too.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:08   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My suggestion : You own a Mahindra Classic, keep that for your offroad escapades. None of the SUVs will be able to match it off the road. And on stretches that they do, you'll be worried of damaging their relatively more expensive components. Since you are looking at this purchase as a *second car*, and as an addition to your existing offroader, I'd say buy a pure onroad car. That way, you don't have to make any compromises.

If you want to carry 6 in comfort, the best all rounder is the Innova.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'm 100% with GTO. Innova is the best bet.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hey
If you have a budget of 13 ish you can look for and surely pick up an used Pajero in good condition.

Im sure you will thoroughly enjoy that vehicle!
Finding a Good condition Pajero might be a headache, I dont think we've a wide market when it comes to used Mitsubishis and that too in good condition so as to offroad fearlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Otherwise if the Off Road bit is simply a dream and you really will end up using the vehicle on highways predominantly, then without a doubt go for a top end Innova - you simply wont regret it.

cheers
Definitely true.
I took a test drive last Saturday of the new innova 7-seater VX Diesel (I think 4.0D), well those of you who've seen me, I am 5.4 and still found it to be really comfortable to drive. I took it for a 7 Km drive on Pune-Bangalore highway and also a bit into bylanes, and it is simply superb to drive. Truly a driver's delight.

I used to have a Safari but sold it to a family friend so now the options are again open. Even I requie a vehicle for a family of 6 plus, and prefer something which is low on maintenance and within the budget, Safari was tough on pocket. I am resting the dream of owning an offroader aside, as a good one will not fall within the INR limitations that I have.

I liked the Fortuner though, If you stretch a bit more then it'll definitely solve all you purposes to a great extent. Its a 4wd standard, confortable 7-seater with a good low-end torque and a turbocharger Intercooler. More suggestions please.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

If your family size is six then Innova is your only perfect bet. BTW, why aren't you considering Scorp 4X4 ? Unless everyone is very tall in the family, you might be able to fit all of them in Scorp as well.
Old 5th October 2009, 23:14   #10
BHPian

Why not go for the Toyota Fortuner?
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 10:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Odd choice: Brand new Innova, Bolero, Honda City, Linea, Safari or Used Pajero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Why not go for the Toyota Fortuner?
Hi Ashley Nair,

Finally I got bitten by the Fortuner bug almost 5 years later from the original message, yes now I own a Toyota Fortuner (pre-owned from 2009).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks