Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 20:38   #1
BHPian

Moving on from the Mercedes C250

Hello,

I purchased a Mercedes C250 (V6, 7G-tronic) during September 2010. I am a little underwhelmed with the car's performance, and am looking to replace it with a similarly priced car. Specifically, I am looking at the C250 CDI and the Audi A4 3.0 TDI.

I have the following questions:
-Are there any other cars I should consider?
-How much can I expect for my C250 (done ~2000 km, absolutely perfect condition, Gujarat registration)? What would be the best way to sell it?

My requirements:
-A lot of torque in the lower end. I want an immediate, enthusiastic response to throttle inputs
-Current car has a 13 speaker Harman Kardon sound system. The new car should have something equally good
-Car should have a pliant ride. This rules out the BMW 3 series.
-I would like to lose under Rs 5 lacs in doing this swap. Is this possible?

I have tried to follow the Team-BHP rules, but this is my first post and I'm sorry if I have unwittingly broken any. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 8th January 2011, 21:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Moving on from the Mercedes C250

You will end up taking a big hit on depreciation. Three months old + change in year.
Why not just spend on a few performance mods? Throw in a FFE and a K&N Conical.
Its not a big risk and low end has to increase if the headers are done properly. Plus if you dont like it, go back stock and sell it.
Old 8th January 2011, 21:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
You will end up taking a big hit on depreciation. Three months old + change in year.
Why not just spend on a few performance mods? Throw in a FFE and a K&N Conical.
Its not a big risk and low end has to increase if the headers are done properly. Plus if you dont like it, go back stock and sell it.
On a Mercedes? Get a custom one for a Mercedes? I doubt anyone in India can do a good job.

The best bet is from some good European tuner.

Sohels -
C250cdi would be a good choice, but still slower than the 3.0tdi. + it only has the 5 speed gearbox. You could get this and then get a remap to 240ps and 585nm.

My choice is still the A4 3.0tdi. With all the options including the B&O system it would run to approx 46 lacs onroad.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would strongly recommend you dont go in for any mods to the cars engine like an FFE or CAi, etc. These cars are very differnt than the regular cars, and require more intense care when fitting these performance enhancements and highly specialized knowledge. For instance one cannot fully tamper around with BMW's I drive as it is entirely interconected and one mess up can screw up the whole system. I am not saying there is not one to do it, but you need to search for them.

If it was that simple, companies like AMG and Brabus, would not price thier services so high. Actually, rather than you being ready to compromise 5 lakhs, i would say you get in touch with these companies and see what they can do

In India, one option is to check out Lorinser. In addition to body kits, they also do performance mods. This is the best and safest bet.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:48   #5
BHPian

Are there no bolt on performance parts for the C that you can just import? Like Eisenmann? I have seen quite a lot of pimped out C's over a lot of countries, so i kind of assumed so. My bad.
OT: Did speedy get only the muffler for his S600 made or was it complete with the headers from Automech?
Old 9th January 2011, 12:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Sohels -
C250cdi would be a good choice, but still slower than the 3.0tdi. + it only has the 5 speed gearbox. You could get this and then get a remap to 240ps and 585nm.

My choice is still the A4 3.0tdi. With all the options including the B&O system it would run to approx 46 lacs onroad.
So how much can I expect for my C250? The on-road price for a new C250 is ~Rs 39 lacs in Gujarat. Also, does Mercedes do the remap? If not, does it void the warranty? Are there any other drawbacks (lower engine life, higher noise levels)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
In India, one option is to check out Lorinser. In addition to body kits, they also do performance mods. This is the best and safest bet.
I will look into Lorinser. I'm not interested in the body kits, however.
Old 9th January 2011, 18:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post
condition, Gujarat registration)? What would be the best way to sell it?
Talk to the dealer and see if he will do an exchange offer if you buy another from him. The new turbo petrol C200? should have a good performance as well.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:57   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I purchased a Mercedes C250 (V6, 7G-tronic) during September 2010. I am a little underwhelmed with the car's performance, and am looking to replace it with a similarly priced car.
Don't blame you. The C250 petrol is neither fast nor efficient. It's a pointless variant from Merc. What you should have really done is gone in for the C250 CDI. Same horsepower & DOUBLE the torque (500 Nm!). The diesel is fast, has a wicked mid-range and is quite practical too.

Here's what I suggest:

- Do NOT modify the car. Your warranty will be nulled and with a Mercedes, believe me...you don't want to take that chance. Plus, whatever mods you do, the C250 V6 will never be fun to drive.

- Go back to the dealer, and tell him you want a C250 CDI instead. What works in your favour is, the C250 CDI is about 4 lakhs cheaper than your V6. You wouldn't lose more than 4 lakhs on a 2,000 kms Merc. Hence, it could be a no-cash-exchange transfer or in the best case, you get a 1 - 1.5 lakhs for the transfer.

- Can you stretch your budget? If so, ditch the 250 V6 and take a spin in the Audi 3.0 TDI.

- Golden Rule : Test-Drive a car yourself, and thoroughly, before buying it. I'm dead sure a C250 diesel will keep you happy (with its mad torque).

Good luck with the search, and keep us updated.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

If performance is your priority, I'd say the Skoda Superb v6 is a good bet and boasts space and class leading features.

I am mighty impressed with this car after a short run I had against it on the weekend. My BMW525d couldnt keep up with it, it shot like a rocket ! Even on the steep turns the 4x4 held almost as well as the BMW.
Maybe the chap had a remap but eitherways the car is super quick.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't blame you. The C250 petrol is neither fast nor efficient. It's a pointless variant from Merc. What you should have really done is gone in for the C250 CDI. Same horsepower & DOUBLE the torque (500 Nm!). The diesel is fast, has a wicked mid-range and is quite practical too.
I test drove the Mercedes C200 CGI, Audi A4 2.0 TFSi and a BMW 320d back in August. At that time the C250 CDI was not yet available. I was leaning towards the Merc and the sales guy offered the C250 for a great deal. He claimed that it is the best in the lineup and that it will be much better than the C200 CGI. Unfortunately, I took his word for it since I thought a 2.5 V6 must indeed be better than a 1.8 4 cylinder. Turns out, this is not so.

Quote:
- Do NOT modify the car. Your warranty will be nulled and with a Mercedes, believe me...you don't want to take that chance. Plus, whatever mods you do, the C250 V6 will never be fun to drive.
Exactly what I was afraid of.

Quote:
- Go back to the dealer, and tell him you want a C250 CDI instead. What works in your favour is, the C250 CDI is about 4 lakhs cheaper than your V6. You wouldn't lose more than 4 lakhs on a 2,000 kms Merc. Hence, it could be a no-cash-exchange transfer or in the best case, you get a 1 - 1.5 lakhs for the transfer.
This would be perfect! But how does it work? Would the dealer buy back my current car? Would the price I get be based on the current on-road price, or what I actually paid?

Quote:
- Can you stretch your budget? If so, ditch the 250 V6 and take a spin in the Audi 3.0 TDI.
46 lacs is a little more than what I'm willing to spend, but I'll see if I can get a better price.

Quote:
- Golden Rule : Test-Drive a car yourself, and thoroughly, before buying it.
Lesson learnt!
Old 10th January 2011, 18:26   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
If performance is your priority, I'd say the Skoda Superb v6 is a good bet and boasts space and class leading features.
Excellent suggestion! If Sohels has access to 97 Octane fuel, and is okay with Skoda's shaky after sales, the Superb 3.6 might just be the car for him. Personally, the Superb (even 1.8) beats all the entry level Germans (A4 / 3 / C Class) hollow, be it on comfort, space, equipment or overall luxury.

Quote:
This would be perfect! But how does it work? Would the dealer buy back my current car? Would the price I get be based on the current on-road price, or what I actually paid?
Talk to your dealer; talk smooth or aggressive depending on who is at the other end. A BHPian exchanged his nearly new MT Civic for an AT and lost a lakh (IIRC). Your Mercedes dealer is the only one who can make this transaction go through smoothly.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:31   #12
BHPian

I second GTO's opinion. The C250 CDI is the one to go for. The A4 3.0 TDI is great but it's just difficult spending that much in a car while you can get the BMW 5 series with more or less the same amount.
Skoda Superb would be perfect had it not been their below sub level of service!
Old 16th March 2011, 23:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Not at all surprised that you are bored of the C250. Petrols just don't do it for me any longer, at least not the everyday stuff. A high performance M3 is a different thing altogether, of course.

Back to the point, I've heard that the C250 CDI isn't as much fun as a 320d but that's just hearsay. The problem here is, 46L falls out of your budget from what I can gather, but I've driven the A4 3.0 TDI and......... oh my God. It makes my German feel pedestrian in a straight line. The torrrrrrque pull of that engine is something to be experienced. Unfortunately there aren't any used examples around either, or will be extremely hard to find given that one can count the examples of these in the country on ones fingers.

Maybe the C250 CDI is your best bet, considering the current 320d is on its way out, and that the "real" A4 is just too expensive. I'd say even a 520d is more fun than the C250 petrol.
Old 19th March 2011, 15:52   #14
BHPian

After much thought, I've decided to stick with the C250 for the time being. I test drove the C250 CDI and while the engine is very punchy, I wasn't impressed overall - the 5 speed automatic is slow and shifts are very noticeable. The 7G-tronic box in my car is seamless. Hence, when I'm looking for a comfortable drive, my current car is much better with its silky V6, quick and imperceptible gearshifts, and the excellent HK sound system. Also, the performance of the C250 petrol is tolerable if the car is in Sport mode and I use a heavy right foot. The downside of course is 4-5 kmpl.

The 320d is too cramped and the ride is too stiff for my taste, especially in the back seat. The A4 3.0 tdi seems impressive, but I agree that it is just too expensive - I'd pick one up today if it was available for 35 lacs on road. And I've never been a fan of the Superb or the Accord - they may score over the 3/C/A4 in terms of tangibles like space or equipment, but they just lack the panache and finesse of these cars, in my opinion.

I did however test drive the E350 CDI and the 530d and was very impressed with both!
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well, I just thought I'd drop by since I saw the rarest of rare make it's way into our classified. Just so you know

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Audi/A4.html/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks