Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 22:18   #1
BHPian

New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

Hi fellow Tbhpians,

The moment has finally come for me to start a thread! And I am happy to say that this one is for my DAD!

Key Requirements:

1. Very comfortable ride. Dad has back issues. Would want minimal discomfort.
2. Budget cap around 24-25 lac on-road.
3. Not brand conscious. But should require minimal maintenance. Must be dependable.
4. Preferably automatic transmission.
5. Dad's age: 55+ Years. Hence, should be with best possible ergonomics.
6. Low NVH levels.
7. Comfortable rear seats for future needs. Will be primarily self-driven for now.
8. This is the only one point for me Should have ample power at hand (or foot!)

Usage:

1. Monthly about 2000 km.
2. Road type: Mainly Delhi (good) and Faridabad (pretty bad)
3. Mostly self driven initially, with the idea of convincing Dad to have a driver in the pipeline! (Primarily to help reduce stress levels)

About the Car Till Date:

Hyundai Elantra Petrol
1. Model: 2005
2. Done about 90k + km.
3. Had an engine overall done at about 66k because the car drowned partly once. I guess a good ride height for the new car should be a major requirement, then
4. Even though I feel Hyundai is not much of a dependable brand, Dad has had a pretty good experience with it so far. No major issues, and hence no specific brand in mind. (I would prefer something a little German!)

Suggestion from me and considerations made by Dad so far:

1. Honda Accord
2. VW Passat
3. Innova with DC Lounge kit
4. Toyota Fortuner

Besides the above points, one thing that must be mentioned is that the booking for the new car needs to be done on Saturday (Mar 16, 2011) as I'll be in Delhi to help out.
So would appreciate as much feedback as possible till then.

Please do feel free to ask for any clarifications/further details.
Looking forward to a nice response from fellow TBhpians.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 16th March 2011 at 22:22.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:26   #2
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

1. The Honda Accord is really the comfy one amongst the list you mentioned.And it has the the best sofa like back seat.
2. The Passat is slightly stiff (which means good handling).
3. Had a ride in a friend's Fortuner and it is not all that comfy (it bounces a bit) and it's kind of noisy.
4. The Innova is pretty good, reliable on the long run and the DC kit makes it more appealing (interiors are great but I just can't stand any of the body modifications), but aren't most of the DC designs inclined towards 2 seaters in the back? And there are lots of alternatives to the DC kit as well right?
5. What about the Nissan Teanna, I guess it is another good option

Out of the lot, I would have choosen the Innova with customization.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 16th March 2011 at 22:34.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

The DC Lounge thing is a great option, honestly. Discreet comfort, I'd like to think of it. You could also consider the Skoda Superb 1.8 TSi. Comfortable, enough power and good image.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:32   #4
BHPian

Dear rosh_aveo1.4,

Thanks for the brisk response
Honda Accord seems to be on the cards, but I want to know about the long term ownership. Will check the reviews for that.
Nissan Teana is also a good option, but again don't know about dependability issues (if any).

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 16th March 2011, 22:39   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Dear rosh_aveo1.4,

Thanks for the brisk response
Honda Accord seems to be on the cards, but I want to know about the long term ownership. Will check the reviews for that.
Nissan Teana is also a good option, but again don't know about dependability issues (if any).

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
The Honda CRV Automatic would be the Best choice.

Good ride height, and wonderful on comforts.

BTW, your signature says. 2005 Maruti 800 (lovingly called SS80) - Thats wrong, any 800's made after 1988 were termed SB-308. FYI
Old 16th March 2011, 22:40   #6
BHPian

Hi FlyingSpur,

The DC Lounge is indeed a good option.
But I need to see some feedback from users on the comfort and dependability issues.

@all: Anybody here a DC Lounge owner or used a DC Lounge?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 16th March 2011, 22:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Camry meets most of your requirements! It's comfy, reliable, ample power and spacious - you should consider it.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:52   #8
BHPian

Dear Pavan,

Honda CR-V would lack in certain items as compared to other options, no? I feel it's a generation too old now. Although so is the Passat, but still considering it because it still has a lot more to offer in terms of features.

OT: Made the suggested changes to my signature. Although I call it SS80 only as a tribute to the original .

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 16th March 2011, 22:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Honda Accord seems to be on the cards, but I want to know about the long term ownership.
I am inclined to believe that the above option will be the MOST stress-free and dependable to own from all your options, yes, even more than an Innova. This is the impression I have got from various owners and also from a long long roadtrip in the same vehicle. Also, it will be a fair bit cheaper to maintain than the CBU Teana for sure, and even the European Skoda.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:56   #10
BHPian

Dear anekho,
The Camry shall be added in the list. Thanks for the idea.

Dear FlyingSpur,
Did you happen to face any troubles with the Accord on your road-trip?
Is there a travelogue here of your trip, by chance?

@all:
On the Review thread of the Passat, I happened to read the Camry is over-priced as its a CBU, vis-a-vis the Passat (being a CKD). Some say the Camry shouldn't be treated in the same bracket. Is this true?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 16th March 2011 at 23:00. Reason: Updated as per new comments.
Old 16th March 2011, 23:00   #11
BHPian

I think you should wait for the hyundai i45, it will meet all your requirements and is quite a looker !
Old 16th March 2011, 23:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik123 View Post
I think you should wait for the hyundai i45, it will meet all your requirements and is quite a looker !
I was also of the opinion that Dad should wait as there're quite a few new models/updates expected in the later half of the year.
But currently waiting is not an option as the FY is ending.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 16th March 2011, 23:26   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Camry or the Nissan Teana would be a good choice. The Skoda Superb would have been a great choice but the horror A.S.S leaves a lot to be desired. Don't know about the comfort levels of the DC Lounge though. Looks nice in pics though.
Old 17th March 2011, 00:20   #14
BHPian

My vote would go for the Accord as well. Well built, spacious, Sofa's for back seats, and reliable.
Old 17th March 2011, 00:28   #15
BHPian

I keep hearing that Sedans generally have a more comfortable ride than SUV/Soft-roaders.
Is this true?
In this case, there're roads used on a regular basis that're pretty rough (as mentioned Faridabad, especially the Industrial belts). At one point of time, Dad's Elantra got partially submerged in rain water on a road he uses regularly. So ground clearance is very important. Hence, logically, we should consider SUVs as a priority.
Having said this, he needs to have comfort as the highest priority as he suffers from a severe back problem.This back thing is so bad that he has had to travel by train, to places he would much rather go by road, as trains offer him a less bumpy ride.
So need options best-suited for:
1. High levels of ride comfort
2. SUV-ish GC
3. Latest technology (goes without saying, I guess)

Somehow, I feel the Skoda Yeti might be a good idea.

Comment/suggestions please.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks