Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 09:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gypsy: 4x4 lever vibrating in 1st gear

Not getting technical about the post, since most of it has pretty much been explained.

However, in my experience a Gypsy TC is very difficult to repair and sort out problems. Most of those I know just change the after a lot of effort. So, if you have warranty, push for replacement.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 21:39   #17
BHPian

There is an old thread regarding Gypsy. And I had answered exactly this query as I faced the same problem about 8 years back in my new gypsy. Somehow, I am unable to navigate to that answer right now from my mobile version of team bhp app.

Most probably, it was the clutch and pressure plate. They had weird cuts on them on inspection. So, I would advise you to get your clutch inspected visually.

There will be no slipping, so your Mass may not agree with to begin with. So do pressurize them to open it up and have a look.

Remember one basic rule, gypsy takes 10 to 20k to run in properly. So don't bother about small issues much.

Gypsy has immense capability to heal itself. I had so many issues that resolved without any intervention.

Amazing! Well, it's a Jeep thing. Welcome to the club.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 11th February 2017 at 21:45.
wanderhermit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 02:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
There is an old thread regarding Gypsy. And I had answered exactly this query as I faced the same problem about 8 years back in my new gypsy. Somehow, I am unable to navigate to that answer right now from my mobile version of team bhp app.

Most probably, it was the clutch and pressure plate. They had weird cuts on them on inspection. So, I would advise you to get your clutch inspected visually.

There will be no slipping, so your Mass may not agree with to begin with. So do pressurize them to open it up and have a look.

Remember one basic rule, gypsy takes 10 to 20k to run in properly. So don't bother about small issues much.

Gypsy has immense capability to heal itself. I had so many issues that resolved without any intervention.

Amazing! Well, it's a Jeep thing. Welcome to the club.
Thank you for your note.

If the clutch plate is indeed the culprit then why would the 4WD lever vibrate unless there is something wrong with the TC (shafts/bearings etc.) itself. I have driven a few Gypsys over the years with most of them with less than 10,000 clicks and have never observed this so I'm a little concerned.

An update:

The Gypsy was shown to the Regional Technical Manager at Chandigarh last week. He took it for a drive along with a mechanic from one of the local dealerships and couldn't find anything wrong. He says that if this phenomenon is more noticeable on the steep inclines then he would have to inspect the vehicle in Shimla.

My take: How does it matter if the vehicle is going up a hill or not; the engine is basically in the high RPM range in a low gear; condition that could very well be simulated on a flat surface as well.

Unfortunately I'm out of the country currently and was not present for this inspection. Let's see what happens on next inspection. Will provide an update when the next inspection is completed.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 00:45   #19
BHPian

If you are in Shimla, see if you can have a word with Vijay Parmar in your city. He may be able to give you a solution.
wanderhermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 11:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Will provide an update when the next inspection is completed.
Dear Vikram, chanced upon this thread exactly a year after your last update. Was this issue finally put to rest? Curious to know since I have not observed this in my Gypsy so far.

Edit: I completely agree with wanderhermit (3 posts above) that Gypsy takes its time to "bed in" - yours more so, since it does not run regularly and most parts are still "coarse" from the factory. I am sure everything wil be all right soon. Why don't you have someone run it on a regular basis on your behalf. A car is not much different from the human body in that sense - it needs its daily dose of cardio :-D

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th February 2018 at 11:45.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 01:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Dear Vikram, chanced upon this thread exactly a year after your last update. Was this issue finally put to rest? Curious to know since I have not observed this in my Gypsy so far.

Edit: I completely agree with wanderhermit (3 posts above) that Gypsy takes its time to "bed in" - yours more so, since it does not run regularly and most parts are still "coarse" from the factory. I am sure everything wil be all right soon. Why don't you have someone run it on a regular basis on your behalf. A car is not much different from the human body in that sense - it needs its daily dose of cardio :-D
Hi Mr. Dube, my apologies for not updating the thread for such a long time.

Last May some work was done on the vehicle that included changing the transfer case mounts however it did not do much. The Regional Technical Manager then advised changing both the propeller shaft and the front drive shaft that goes from transfer case to front differential.

I was in India in December for 2 weeks and got the propeller shaft changed and it has reduced the problem to quite an extent. The dealership did not have the front shaft in stock, however, I have the confirmation from them that they have a front drive shaft in stock now. Once this job is completed then the problem is expected to go away substantially. Now someone has to go and get this work done.

All of this work was done under warranty and the dealership extended full co-operation in troubleshooting. I have called the Regional Technical Manager at unearthly hours (owing to the time zone difference) and I must say that he has been very helpful; e.g., when the propeller shaft was changed I wanted all the nuts to be tightened to the factory specs or as mentioned in the service manual. For that, they had to get hold of a torque wrench which was in the custody of service manager and the correct tightening torque numbers which they realized they did not have because the shop did not have a copy of the service manual.The Service Manager called the Regional Technical Manager who was at the time on his way to Delhi for a meeting however he spoke to someone in the plant who in turn conveyed the correct torque numbers to the Service Manager at the dealership within half an hour.

As for my mileage, I have finally crossed 3,700 km mark (in 2 years) and yes you're right someone needs to take her out at least once in a month but for now, I'm already looking forward to my next trip. And yes I did undertake a road trip in the interior Himachal in December and want to pen that elusive travelogue...

I hope you're doing well and driving your Gypsy regularly. I did notice that a number of new Gypsys have been acquired by a number of forum members.

This 4X4 itch is getting to me and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a true blue 4X4 this year out here. The 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) is out and there is one more vehicle that I'm researching currently so let's see....

Take care.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 19:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Last May some work was done on the vehicle...
Good to know that the problem seems to be getting resolved - all the best. Do keep us posted. I tried simulating the situation you described today - revved the Gypsy all the way up to 30 kmph in 1st gear with my hand on the 4WD lever all the while - there were minor (normal) vibrations but nothing violent, as mentioned by you. Looks like shaft replacements should do the trick.

That said, this is not expected of a manufacturer like MSIL and a car like the Gypsy - both of them are considered as top-notch when it comes to reliability! Let's see how it unfolds.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 15:42   #23
BHPian

Sorry about the late reply. I own an old gypsy MG410W and here's a tip from someone who's owns three and a very competent mechanic. There are 3 things I'd do to troubleshoot from easiest to most time consuming

1. Change the rubber bush and the link under the lever. Theres a name for this that I can't remember probably mounting bush
2. Change the engine mounts. Yes it may seem seem counterintuitive but it's a tip I'm passing on
3. Change all 3 prop shafts making sure they are splined properly and check for play in the u bolts
Something similar -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3576138

I've changed all 3 (mentioned above )on mine and there is no rattle or hum now
antihero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 13:07   #24
BHPian

Thank you Antihero for your valuable advice. All these parts are connected directly/indirectly to the transfer case lever hum and I'm quite hopeful that replacing these will eliminate the problem.

I will discuss this with the Regional Technical Manager and hopefully, he is amenable to replacing these.

Will update the thread accordingly.

Thank you so much once again.
Old 16th October 2019, 23:33   #25

Hi All,
Sorry to bump this thread with a repeat question that I already did on the Gypsy queries thread with hopes to find an answer.

I have one pertinent issue with the Transfer case lever.
The lever does not shift to 2H when I move it left and up. It goes up and falls back on its own to 4H. Doesnt slot.
If the lever is in 4H it vibrates like MAD, but both the shafts are moving.
The lever shifts and slots correctly to N and 4L.
AND most surprisingly the lever shifts and slots to 2H when I am on 4H ,right side and tug it down a little (opposite direction of N and 4L), it doesn't slot out after that and the whole lever needs to be taken out, slot it correctly with a screwdriver and all fine again in 4H with vibrations.

I had tried with both existing and new Transfer case lever bush but no difference.

As a bypass solution I have got a pair of aisin freewheel hubs fixed but the lever issue is getting on my nerves. Not able to make a breakthrough
This is how my lever looks Gypsy: 4x4 lever vibrating in 1st gear-screenshot_20191016233118.jpg

Looking forward to suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Arpan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks