Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 10:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Great install, Gunbir & JB! I'm sure it sounds heavenly!

The OE Merc 3-way system did not have a crossover?

Is the OE HU a Becker? Was that why you folks didn't change it? Or the customer didn't want a change?

And how much does that sub-level controller cost?
Thanks Hydra,

The Head Unit is Becker. Owner preferred to keep the HU stock as he wanted the steering wheel controls and the stock look. Ideally we would love to change the HU also.

The Merc OE speakers did have crossover but just one component based. An Inductor on midbass and capacitors on Midrange and tweeter.

The sub level controllers are as follows :

Audison VSR for Audison SRx Amplifiers - 2900
Audison VCRA for Audison LRx Amplifiers - 4200

Last edited by Autophile : 13th June 2007 at 10:59.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any particular reason why the Space midbass was used? I'm asking because the midrange & tweeter and the XO are HE ones. And it looks like there is enough space for the HE midbass's magnet. There wasn't enough space?

And didn't the car need any damping?
No, the HV200 midbass would not fit easily. and No that not a High Energy crossover. Thats the 3W.40 custom crossover (not on the website, read the space manual , pages 11 & 12).

No damping was used as the car didn't need any. It is built well and there are literally no rattles.

Last edited by gunbir : 13th June 2007 at 11:00.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Couple more Qs {I was on my PPC earlier, so couldn't see the pics that well or write particularly well}

Any particular reason why the Space midbass was used? I'm asking because the midrange & tweeter and the XO are HE ones. And it looks like there is enough space for the HE midbass's magnet. There wasn't enough space?

And didn't the car need any damping?
The Space midbass was used because it was the only one which could fit in the car.

There are custom crossovers in Hertz range like the one used here 3W40 with which you have have different combination of drivers according to listening taste and installation.

The Hi Energy HV 200 is very deep and basket was fouling with the original mounting ring and the door pad.

The speaker pod with Space 8L and HL 70 weighs much lighter than the stock ones, thanks to Neo Magnets.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Gunbir, you really ought to put a grill on that sub since a wheel will be sitting so close to it. While removing the wheel the sub could get damaged.
The wheel sits in a fashion that it will never be able to touch the subwoofer. And it rests in tilt against the subwoofer box away from subwoofer.

Last edited by Autophile : 13th June 2007 at 11:17.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:20   #20
mpz

Awesome install. Is it allright to use a ground distribution block for the positive wires? I have seen that the FDB 54 is well insulated and even the screws holding the block have been covered. I wanted to do the same in my install but the installer insisted on fused distribution block.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:28   #21
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
The wheel sits in a fashion that it will never be able to touch the subwoofer. And it rests in tilt against the subwoofer box away from subwoofer.

Old 13th June 2007, 11:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Thats the 3W.40 custom crossover (not on the website, read the space manual , pages 11 & 12).
Quote:
There are custom crossovers in Hertz range like the one used here 3W40 with which you have have different combination of drivers according to listening taste and installation.
That's nice Now I do remember seeing the customs mentioned in another manual, like such and such XO if you change the midrange, such and such XO if you wanted 2 midbasses etc.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Merc OE speakers did have crossover but just one component based. An Inductor on midbass and capacitors on Midrange and tweeter.
Isn't that bad for a high end car like this one? I thought they wouldn't need to play such economy tricks, not to this extent at least. That makes me doubtful- did they care to ensure that both drivers ultimately fire in-phase?
Old 13th June 2007, 12:28   #24
BHPian

Ironically this is the truth in every high end car. Despite being astronomically priced the customer gets this skimpy, cheap driver based ICE.

Manufacturer uses cheap quality drivers. Their engineers work on designing the pods and acoustics to get best out of them. They save huge costs like this.

Even companies like Bose etc use cheapskate drivers and uses their expertise on loading and acoustics etc to get the best out of them. The customers see Bose logo flanked on the door pad which gives him satisfaction of having a good ICE, because manufacturer knows that typical customer will never see what went behind the door pad. The one who knows will never pay hefty price for Bose and other similar expensive ICE options, sadly there are not many of those kind in India .

It is the case with every car of Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi etc.

There are very few cars with decent OE soundsyatem like VW Passat, Volvo C90 (Dynaudio), Lexus SC 430(Mark Levinson), Aston Martin Vanquish (Linn) and Audio A8 W12 (B&O) but again they are very expensive options and you can do far better in less money.

I remember we went to S Class launch in Delhi. They were showcasing S500 with HK Logic 7 system with expensive rear entertainment system. The guy who handled the design was there saying all the good things about the system claiming the best sound and works next to him standing was MR. Aulbur, CEO of Mercedes Benz.

We told him its great but tell us one thing how do we control the volume of the system sitting in the back seat in the car with rear entertainment system. The silence and look on the guys face gave us the answer that there is no volume control for rear passengers. The owner has to tell his chauffer to control the volume, Intelligent. We smiled and walked out of the car.

These are the things which will never be noticed by the owners as they are nostalgic of getting the cars opened for aftermarket ICE to improve the sound.

I have seen so many cars at the workshop in which the speakers have gone surroundless as foam surround has deteriorated over the period of time. But the guy is still driving around with that car listening to the speakers.

Check the Ferrari Install and see the condition of speakers in the car. Thats a common sight in High End cars here.

Last edited by Autophile : 13th June 2007 at 12:30.
Old 13th June 2007, 12:39   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
the woofer loks rather vulnerable in this pic. All you need is a slip.
Old 13th June 2007, 12:44   #26
BHPian

Pictures don't do justice sometimes to real situation. If at all there would have been the chance of damaging the subwoofer the grille would have been there already as the sub is expensive.
Old 13th June 2007, 12:46   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I remember we went to S Class launch in Delhi...
We told him its great but tell us one thing how do we control the volume of the system sitting in the back seat in the car with rear entertainment system. The silence and look on the guys face gave us the answer that there is no volume control for rear passengers. The owner has to tell his chauffer to control the volume, Intelligent. We smiled and walked out of the car.
JB, this can be dangerous. Imagine some nutty owner gets kicks out fo scaring his driver and turningup the system without his knowledge.

When I am not driving I dont use the audio system. Let the driver concentrate on the traffic and the road. I use a pair of 880 or 565 or 555 or some nice headphones with my ipod. I dont want the driver to get startled when he hears a helicopter over head or the sound of breaking glass when all they are, are snippets of a track from "The Wall".
Old 13th June 2007, 12:53   #28
BHPian

It will not be possible because the system is not that impressive.

I have never heard of driver banging the car because of getting scared of loud music.

I see drivers at Mukul's workshop and they play the system loud at blaring levels. They are used to loud levels more than the car owner.
Old 13th June 2007, 13:16   #29
BHPian

Ooops I completely missed this thread.... Awesome install...
Old 13th June 2007, 14:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I dont want the driver to get startled when he hears a helicopter over head or the sound of breaking glass when all they are, are snippets of a track from "The Wall".
Hmm... but what if you have an actual helicopter flying over your car, or a fender bender next to you, causing the sound of breaking glass... These things happen, you know...

I think you better buy your driver some noise cancelling headphones, playing silence in a loop. That way, he hears nothing at all. No maalik trying to have fun with him, helicopters or breaking glass. And then your car will never meet "The Wall". And, you can also play your music through your ICE setup. Isnt this a better solution now?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks