Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 10:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?

Mod Note: The Stile's Official Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

http://motoroids.com/news/ashok-leyl...-in-late-2013/

Quote:
The Ashok Leyland Stile MPV is taking its own sweet time to enter the Indian car market. It recently emerged that the Stile would be launched by the end of this year. It may be noted that the Stile was earlier scheduled to be launched in the end of 2012. It has also emerged that the Stile would be positioned below the Nissan Evalia in terms of pricing.

The Ashok Leyland Stile will come in two variants- diesel and CNG. There are good chances that the Stile would borrow the tried and tested 1.5 Liter K9K turbo diesel engine from the Evalia. Evalia’s motor has a max power output of 85 Bhp of peak torque of 200 Nm. The engine is mated to a five speed manual gearbox.

There are some rumours doing rounds that Ashok Leyland might be powered by a powerful engine to avoid direct competition with the Evalia. While the Evalia is being promoted as a family MPV, the Stile would cater to the CV market. The Stile would also skip on many features that the Evalia has.
I didn't know that Ashok Leyland had any sort of tie ups with Nissan. Does anyone know what kind of agreement is this that allows AL to leverage Nissan's evalia?

But another dud in the offing i guess.

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2013 at 10:54. Reason: Link to official review
Old 9th April 2013, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?

Stile is a stripped down version of Evalia targeted mainly towards Taxi segment.

I am wondering if Stile is priced lower(it will be) Even the fleet owners would ditch Evalia completely.
Evalia is suppose to be premium and for families. But I doubt any family would want to buy Evalia anyway. Nothing bad about it, but It seems to be stuck between Ertiga and Innova and instead of becoming best of both worlds, in this case people are choosing either Ertiga or spend extra cash for Innova
Old 9th April 2013, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Stile is a stripped down version of Evalia targeted mainly towards Taxi segment.

I am wondering if Stile is priced lower(it will be) Even the fleet owners would ditch Evalia completely.
Evalia is suppose to be premium and for families. But I doubt any family would want to buy Evalia anyway. Nothing bad about it, but It seems to be stuck between Ertiga and Innova and instead of becoming best of both worlds, in this case people are choosing either Ertiga or spend extra cash for Innova

Had a talk with an Ashok Leyland guy an year back, he had mentioned that stile will be a toned down version of Evalia, it will be aimed at Taxi and incity cargo mover segments.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this was even covered last year in one of the Car and bike show episodes by SVP. The vehicle shown then looked pretty good to take on the likes of Tata Ace etc. Cannot seem to locate that episode.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:56   #5
BHPian

This post belongs to the Commercial Vehicle as a Taxi is a commercial vehicle.
Mods: Please move this to the relevant section
Old 10th April 2013, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
This post belongs to the Commercial Vehicle as a Taxi is a commercial vehicle.
Mods: Please move this to the relevant section
Not necassarily until it is launched. Tata used to be truck maker and Indica was into passenger segment.

I think it can be here till the vehicle is launched and the company spokesperson says that they are targetting commerical market only. I really doubt they would do that, since they would also want private no frill buyers to consider Stile also.
Old 10th April 2013, 16:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Not necassarily until it is launched. Tata used to be truck maker and Indica was into passenger segment.

I think it can be here till the vehicle is launched and the company spokesperson says that they are targetting commerical market only. I really doubt they would do that, since they would also want private no frill buyers to consider Stile also.
Sir, they have clearly made a mandate regarding the positioning of this product.
Let us not forget Nissan is sharing this platform with ALL and they will ensure a base version does not affect sales of their EVALIA.

The target audience for Stile as defined by their management:
http://www.ashokleyland.com/content/...n-lcv-models-0
Old 10th April 2013, 17:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I didn't know that Ashok Leyland had any sort of tie ups with Nissan. Does anyone know what kind of agreement is this that allows AL to leverage Nissan's evalia?

But another dud in the offing i guess.
Ashok Leyland - Nissan JV gave birth to the "Dost"

any reason why you think it will be a dud - even before any significant info being available on this product ?
Old 13th April 2013, 16:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
any reason why you think it will be a dud - even before any significant info being available on this product ?
Well, looking at the Evalia and its sales, I doubt the Stile would make any impact on this segment. And not to forget the difference in brand proposition of Nissan and ALL.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn658276 View Post
Well, looking at the Evalia and its sales, I doubt the Stile would make any impact on this segment. And not to forget the difference in brand proposition of Nissan and ALL.
That's more than enough to change the perception. ALL has always been a forerunner in the CV space, they manufacture people-and cargo movers. The Stile, according to their press release during the auto expo, is going to be a people mover. If the cabbies find it a good proposition to invest, then it'll sell.
Old 31st May 2013, 12:01   #11
BHPian

Ashok Leyland's Stile MPV spotted testing in Chennai. The pictures posted on indianautosblog.com, show a lightly camouflaged vehicle with badges covered up. The Stile is due to be launched next month. The MPV will be positioned below the Nissan Evalia and will be built alongside it at Nissan's Oragadam plant in Chennai.

The Stile will be positioned as a people carrier for use as a taxi or hotel shuttle and for inter and intra-city travel. It will also be offered as an ambulance and panel van for for light goods. The Nissan Evalia has had a poor reception with only 1217 units sold between November to April this year.

Related Thread

Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?-ashokleylandstilespiedchennaifront.jpg

Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?-ashokleylandstilespiedchennairearfascia.jpg

Last edited by Redline6800 : 31st May 2013 at 12:07.
Old 31st May 2013, 12:30   #12
BHPian

By looking at the test mule, it seems like the designers at ashok leyland is too much "inspired" by the Evalia design !
Old 31st May 2013, 13:10   #13
BHPian

^^I think the stile is a rebadged stripped down evalia. So obviously its gonna look like the evalia.
Old 31st May 2013, 14:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

What is the rationale in launching the same product with different trims and by different manufacturers?
Old 7th July 2013, 22:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?-ashokleylandstilepics2.jpg

Stile launch date fixed on July 16

Source: http://www.motoroids.com/news/ashok-...ch-on-july-16/
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks