Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2014, 06:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Safety Video: Don't leave children behind in a parked car!

I would suggest never to leave a kid in the car even for a few minutes. No one knows the exact dangers of even a few minutes. What if there is some amount of irrepairable damage somewhere in the body due to heat? Remember they are kids and may not even be in a position to tell.

Alternatively, kids like to be out with you. Use that time to also bond with them. With our typical hectic lifestyle we hardly get time with them. Use these opportunities to bond with them. If they are asleep, carry them -for small kids. Use a stroller! Simple things.. I have 2 kids and I always follow this rule.

I have heard many of these incidents and one happened to someone in my office when I was in the USA, and to me the risk is way higher than the inconvenience caused. The point I am trying to make is that the line is grey - there is no cut off time of say 10 minutes or 15 minutes - it all depends on conditions.

A 2 minute stop In Delhi's hot summer may turn into 5 or 8 minutes because of the line at the store - would you leave your items and get back because you crossed your 2 minutes? No... Chances are you would say its ok.. Just a few more minutes..

Where do you draw a line..?
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 08:49   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I consider that to be fairly low probability events. By that logic, if I were to be mugged / attacked - I'd much rather that it happens without my son around so that he is safe, no matter what happens to me. Personal choice.

That said, I'm overall aligned on the video - leaving kids for extended durations is a bad idea. Short 3-4 mins is not. I'm not convinced yet. Sorry.

PS: If this was not India but Europe - I might be fully agreeing with you.
In my opinion, we should not be leaving an infant/toddler unattended even if it’s for a couple of minutes, whether it’s in a car or at home. The probably of a mishap maybe low, but there is a chance. Most of the time we leave that 0.01% of low probability open for the sake of convenience.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 10:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think its unsafe to leave children in the car all by themselves under any circumstance without accompanying adult. You never know what unlucky thing might befall on you depending on the situation.

With engine ON and AC in re-circulation, its risky if something could go wrong.
I don't remember complete explanation, but i was advised not to use the car A/c while stationary. With children it is strict NO NO.

Its highly unlikely, but if there is a leak somewhere in the cabin from the engine compartment, there is a chance of carbon mono-oxide coming into the cabin which might not be detected at all , but still life threatening. especially if the A/C circulation mode is switched off.

( This brings a question into my mind , what if this happens when the car is running and there is an exhaust leak in the cabin with A/c on and circulation mode off ? )

this holds very highly likely during rains.

remember some years back three youth in mumbai santro car died due to suffocation while their car was stationary with A/c on during the rains.

I think its too much of a risk to expose our children anything more than 2-4 minutes.

Also, do this ( 3-5 minutes excerise ) if you are sure you child is not far away from you and FULLY in your visibility. as you said, Im summers heat with windows rolled down as you said at least 3 inches and A/C on.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Want to leave your child in a car? Then do read Murphy's Law - Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

I would prefer not to calculate probability of an events occurrence, no matter how small it may be, specially when it comes to my loved ones.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 13:11   #35
BHPian

I would never leave my little daughter in the car and leave the car unattended for even a minute. I would rather take the extra pain in carrying her around than repenting later on. There are some things in life which are irreversible.
Old 29th June 2014, 13:31   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
... consider that to be fairly low probability events...
You know who never wins the lottery? The person who never buys the ticket.

Meeting with an accident/theft of car is a low probability event. But we still buy comprehensive insurance.

With the window open and a running engine with only a toddler inside, criminals might see it as an easy target. This is probably ok for a road side shop, but even then someone can jump into the driver seat and drive off in a few seconds!
Old 29th June 2014, 14:06   #37
BHPian

I did this a few times (off for 2 min errands with the car within my sight) to my son when he was less than 3. Most of the time, I was worried if some other vehicle would hit my car. He used to be secured on his child seat (he continues to, though he is almost 5). Never with the engine running, or windows completely closed though. Never under hot sun.

One day, I figured it out that it was really not wise. What if I am not able to return to the car in a minute or two? I can get hit by another vehicle, can get hit by some unruly elements (do you need a reason to), can faint etc... After that, I completely stopped doing it. Would wake him up, and take him with me anywhere I go. Peace of mind. Now, managing him within the supermarket is another story (he once ran across the street to the apartment after taking a Chocolate).
Old 29th June 2014, 15:16   #38

When you leave someone in the car with A/C on that means you keep the engine running. Children are restless... What if they kick the gear lever?? BANG!! The car will crash into the wall ahead or even get in the middle of a busy road. Or what if the doors get locked and your child doesn't know how to unlock? If its a dog I don't think he'll be able to do anything other than barking hard.
Really a bad idea.
Old 29th June 2014, 23:01   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I can think of one instance when you can lock a child/pet in the car parked in the sun. If you have a hybrid that can power the AC with the engine off, it might possibly be safe. (Atleast till the batteries run out, and the engine comes to life)

In every other scenario, you are undertaking a risk.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:39   #40
BHPian

I think leaving the kid in the car is not something I would suggest. My two year old daughter managed to reach the gear lever from behind when I left the car with Engine & A/c on. There were two other adults (My mom and wife) in the car too, nothing happened at that time as they stopped her. Even with the company of the adults I would not recommend leaving the car (running) having the kids inside. Kids of these age are curious and irrepressible, there might do number of things you might never have imagined. Something like throwing a floor mat through the window on to a traveling two-wheeler (just imagined this, could be very dangerous).
Old 30th June 2014, 13:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:

I'm open to changing my mind - but somehow I don't think it is a serious concern for short errands (2-3 mins) esp when the child is sleepy. Its another matter that every shop you go, there's chocolates / toys hanging off the shelf and the demands start.
Please do change your mind, as your practice is unsafe at many levels. You could loose keys, you could get indisposed due to health issues/freak accident, etc, unsavoury elements in the society pose a threat too to unattended kids in cars where window is ajar!

Carry your kid with you or plan your travel in such a manner that such a situation does not arise.
bobbafett is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 14:13   #42
BHPian

Kids have no clue what causes what. You would think the kid is sleeping but the moment you move away from the car they can wake up and simply pull the gear level. Disaster!!

Just for your 2-3 minute freedom, it is simply not worth taking risk on your loved ones, however low the probability of that risk may be.
Old 30th June 2014, 16:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

For me, simply, i don't have the heart to leave my daughter alone- anywhere, until she reaches such an age where she can intelligently grasp the external world around her. Leaving her alone in a car is just out of question. Infact it never stuck my mind, until I saw this thread.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:28   #44
BHPian

Firstly thanks to OP for coming up with such an interesting topic. I see all the posts discuss around not leaving their kids/pets in a vehicle parked under sun.
I carry my pet Labrador on all long drives and during pit stops I first search for a shade where I can park and very close to the restaurant (in such a way that I get complete view of my vehicle when I am sitting inside the restaurant). With that being ensured I leave my dog inside the car with windows rolled down just 1/4th and door locked for max. 20-30 min. Is it still a bad practice or should I stop this immediately? Please advice.
PS: I do this only when I get to park my car in shade. If it is under the sun never ever I did that. Me and my wife will take turns to eat when one of them will be constantly with the dog.
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:09   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
My kid is 1 year old and I also do that. When she is sleeping I will leave her in the car with AC on(only if I am around and the car is fully visible to me). In a recent trip to my village in Andhra (due to a death in my family), from morning to evening she spent in the car only (with AC full on) to evade the summer heat. She has slept alone in the car and I was just watching her from outside.
This is truly dangerous. All it takes is a small leak in your exhaust system for exhaust fumes to find their way back into the sealed cabin. Carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless and lethal. Basically it prevents oxygen from getting absorbed by red blood cells (since CO is absorbed more easily than O2) and the victim literally suffocates. To be blunt, you could be watching the car from outside all you like but will in all probability not realize anything is wrong because the victim will likely pass from sleep to unconsciousness with no visible change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
I dont have the link to share with , but few years back there was an incident in my area, where 4 adults were sleeping inside a car, running with a/c on , and all died inside the car because , the gas started leaking inside and they got suffocated and went unconscious in sleep and died on the spot. I know it is a rare case, but why risk it for our dear ones. ALWAYS have an adult near the children inside the car.
Precisely what most likely happened in this case: CO poisoning.

Quote:
GTO,
With due respect - that is hyperbole. I consider that to be fairly low probability events.
(...)
Given how naughty kids are in general and prone to run around (esp now when my kid is 3 and still doesn't understand traffic) - you are advocating taking a lot of small low probability risks to avoid one very big very low probability risk. Nope - doesn't work for me. Personal choices I guess.
(...)
That said, I'm overall aligned on the video - leaving kids for extended durations is a bad idea. Short 3-4 mins is not. I'm not convinced yet. Sorry.
Others have replied quite convincingly so let me not belabour the point. But I would urge you to reconsider. Simple rule of thumb is: Do not leave a child under 6 unattended for any duration. It may vary depending on the child in question (some kids are more/less mature than others) but in case of infants and toddlers, this should be non-negotiable.
True it is a personal choice but one that you are assuming on behalf of the child. As such you are responsible- legally and morally- for any consequences of the action. Even if it is a "low probability event", I'd be very very circumspect before doing this, much less advocate it to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Want to leave your child in a car? Then do read Murphy's Law - Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

I would prefer not to calculate probability of an events occurrence, no matter how small it may be, specially when it comes to my loved ones.
Words to live by!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks